ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamp Contract Extension

Then why has Muschamp won more games at this stage that any other coach including SOS? Time will sort it all out.
For one, because he's played an extra game and he also got lucky last year with Florida and Tennessee imploding. But yes, time will tell. Nevertheless, saying Muschap's are the best USC coach in recent memory can only be true if you ignore recent history.

Dablow was 29-19 his first three and a half years at Tillman U. Muschamp is 22 and 16 so far. Not a huge difference in winning percentage. Given what Muschamp started with and the level of competition, I’d say his start here is comparable to dablow’s. Dablow did win the ACC in his third year, but he also coached the taters to the record-setting 70-33 loss to West Virginia!

He was also a WR coach thrust into HC duties in the middle of a season with no head coaching or even coordinating experience for that matter...Muschamp had 9 seasons as a coordinator and 4 years as a HC before taking over at SC. The records of their first three seasons may be similar but you're failing to mention prior experience. Dabo didn't inherit as bad a trainwreck as Muschamp but it's not like Tommy left him a roster completely full of 4/5 stars. Clemson had just lost to Wake Forest to give some perspective. I respectfully disagree.

Based on what?
Recruiting rankings:
2012: 15
2013: 20
2014: 16
2015: 20
A lot of them players never qualified, recruiting was a dumpster fire when spurrier left. I love spurrier, but our program was in trouble because he stopped recruiting and he made some dumb comments.

Reactions: rogue cock
Lattimore, Alshon, Ingram, Clowney. We had a lot of very talented kids come through here in a short period of time.

No true on both accounts. Don't forget Muschamp coached at Florida before USC. Also if he was left with nothing, why ware most the starters still players that Spurrier recruited? Spurrier's last three signing classes were ranked as high or higher than Champ's. People make too many excuses for Champ after 3yrs.
Go back and look at those classes....some players show up more than once, some never enrolled, and many were complete washouts, which all makes sense when you look at their offer list. We just got a 3-star whose offer list far exceeded most, if not all, those 4-stars Spurrier's staff brought in his last 2/3 years.

Muschamp just finished year 3, so looking at year 3 for Spurrier is not "cherry-picking." The phrase you are looking for is "apples to apples."
Negative. My first response was to someone saying that Muschamp is the "best coach in recent memory." Well, that assertion didn't make much sense considering Spurrier was our last coach. Then somebody cherry picked a single year (which isn't much different than this year) to suggest that Spurrier was not in fact our best coach in recent memory. Had the original post been about best third year record of our coaches--which would be pretty silly--it would have been valid. It wasn't.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
So, you cherry pick one year to prove that Spurrier wasn't as good a coach as Muschamp? Okay. Good stuff.
no cherry picking. Just comparing Spurrier's year 3 with Muschamp's. I mean you want to compare his 3 best with the first 3 of Muschamp's. Who is cherry picking again?
Never said he didn't do good things here. Just all the hate is unwarranted on both of these guys. Holtz got our name out there. Spurrier elevated our expectations and brand. Now Champ is trying to build on that. Everything that is being said about Champ now was said about Spurrier in the early years. I heard it from Gamecock fans as well as taters and dawgs.

Go back and look at those classes....some players show up more than once, some never enrolled, and many were complete washouts, which all makes sense when you look at their offer list. We just got a 3-star whose offer list far exceeded most, if not all, those 4-stars Spurrier's staff brought in his last 2/3 years.
That's true of every recruiting class! Hell, Spurrier took over a team that was losing more players to Richland County Detention Center than injuries and bad academics combined.

Reactions: Burninlove
He was also a WR coach thrust into HC duties in the middle of a season with no head coaching or even coordinating experience for that matter...Muschamp had 9 seasons as a coordinator and 4 years as a HC before taking over at SC. The records of their first three seasons may be similar but you're failing to mention prior experience. Dabo didn't inherit as bad a trainwreck as Muschamp but it's not like Tommy left him a roster completely full of 4/5 stars. Clemson had just lost to Wake Forest to give some perspective. I respectfully disagree.
Not sure why y'all are over here defending Dabo or criticizing Muschamp. We have several "fans" who are more than willing to do that and more for you. With fans like some of ours, we don't need hated rivals.

That's true of every recruiting class! Hell, Spurrier took over a team that was losing more players to Richland County Detention Center than injuries and bad academics combined.
No, that's hyperbole. Look back and see how many players actually got kicked off. And, no, you can not say that of every recruiting class. Haven't has much of an issue with recruits not qualifying under Muschamp. Spurrier, at the end, was taking low hanging fruit because his staff didn't want to work that hard at recruiting.

Well at least Ray was smart enough to give Werner some extra money and an extension. If he hadn't done that then we would know he was asleep at the wheel!

Dabo took over in the middle of the season after Clemson lost at home to Wake Forest and fell to 3-3 on the year. There's a reason Bowden left in mid-season and it's not because they were good.

The team Muschamp inherited was composed entirely of top 25 recruiting classes with lots of 4* players. It was not devoid of talent. Spurrier leaving in the middle of the year and the remaining embittered coaches tanking the season is why were a 3 win team - not talent. That is unless you think we were actually less talented than the Citadel.

And 18 year old kids are not scrutinizing Muschamp's contract to determine if they'll play at USC. That's a canard. Tanner said he was giving the contract to keep Muschamp from leaving for greener pastures. If that's actually the reason, Tanner is living in an upside down reality. This is a business and decisions shouldn't be made for the "sake of appearances."

So, when HBC said he had a couple years left in him, that had no effect on recruiting? I'd be certain Dabo used that against us. Kids aren't the only people who look at coaches. Parents and HS coaches look for stability and have the 18 YO kids' ear. Other college coaches also use it to recruit negatively. Believe me, 4* players who want to play for this staff take this into account. And an extension is an outward way of saying this will be the coach here for some time to come.

And our remaining coaches after HBC left wanted to tank? How exactly would that benefit them?

Dabo wasn't in the middle of a total rebuild. He didn't inherit 3-9 players. So you're right, it's not comparable.

Do you want good recruits. If you don't at least give your head coach an extension for the sake of appearance, it sends the message to recruits they might not be here in 2.
The blind hatred some on here have for Muschamp won't let them see those points.

So, when HBC said he had a couple years left in him, that had no effect on recruiting? I'd be certain Dabo used that against us. Kids aren't the only people who look at coaches. Parents and HS coaches look for stability and have the 18 YO kids' ear. Other college coaches also use it to recruit negatively. Believe me, 4* players who want to play for this staff take this into account. And an extension is an outward way of saying this will be the coach here for some time to come.

And our remaining coaches after HBC left wanted to tank? How exactly would that benefit them?
You are correct. Even Bowden got an extension on his contract prior to the season in which he "resigned." And he was on a very warm seat at the time but they had to do it for recruiting.

Reactions: TheReelEss
I don't think he wants Muschamp fired. I certainly don't. But I don't like rewarding mediocrity. You're sending a message to the football staff that winning 6-7 games a year gets you a very nice raise every year and a very happy AD. That should happen when you beat Clemson/UGA and win the east.
I'm not sure that giving someone a contract extension after winning more games than any other coach in his first 3 seasons is exactly rewarding mediocrity. Muschamp has done enough to justify that extension considering where we were when he first took over. If we can't win more than 7 games over the next 3 seasons I think there will be a reason to gripe and not offer an extension at that time. Right now though, we are further along than most expected when he took over.

pretty sure they went 6-7 and lost to UCF that first year of the streak.
I'm willing to acknowledge that amendment, even without checking. But had that continued, it would have been untenable. But it didn't. It proved aberrant in light of the years that followed. He did enough in games other than us to make him non-dismissable.

I didnt expect to win enough games to get a bowl invite in year one.
Did not expect 9 wins in year two. Beating Michigan was a great way to start the New Year.
Year 3 went nearly as expected. I knew before the season started the SEC East would be tougher than 2017.
So, what WERE your expectations?

Skai Moore isn’t walking through that door ( to lead our program in INT & tackles)!

I want some progress on D in the Belk close out sale bowl & 2019!

Surprisingly, TROB also received a 200K raise. I do realize that our defense was decimated by injuries but there was no reason to think that schools were trying to poach him after this year's results. I don't think we lose anything if he ever left because CWM's signature will always be a part of our defensive scheme. The only thing I can think of is that Tanner wanted to do this across the board for the entire staff.

Dablow was 29-19 his first three and a half years at Tillman U. Muschamp is 22 and 16 so far. Not a huge difference in winning percentage. Given what Muschamp started with and the level of competition, I’d say his start here is comparable to dablow’s. Dablow did win the ACC in his third year, but he also coached the taters to the record-setting 70-33 loss to West Virginia!
But it was the Orange Bowl. When was the last time WE got to the Orange Bowl?

For one, because he's played an extra game and he also got lucky last year with Florida and Tennessee imploding. But yes, time will tell. Nevertheless, saying Muschap's are the best USC coach in recent memory can only be true if you ignore recent history.
Never said he's the best but I'm willing to wait and see where he lands if he's here 10yrs.

I didnt expect to win enough games to get a bowl invite in year one.
Did not expect 9 wins in year two. Beating Michigan was a great way to start the New Year.
Year 3 went nearly as expected. I knew before the season started the SEC East would be tougher than 2017.
What are your expectations for year 4?

Muschamp seems to finally have some consistency with assistants, so hopefully being able to hang on to them will be the difference between him succeeding here long term or not. We can tweak a couple positions, but keeping Werner and Mclendon is huge. I still want to see if he ever switches the d-line coach to linebackers and go out and hire a new DL coach.

It has an ACC tie-in. It was an automatic bid for the ACC winner if they weren't in the national championship. We can't win the ACC.
That's it. They were winning or competing to win the ACC. Which made him non-dismissable multiple games in a row while losing to us. Which was my essential point. How many major bowls have we been to of ANY kind through any means? We missed our best shot in 1984, then got dumped in the bowl we did play in.

That's it. They were winning or competing to win the ACC. Which made him non-dismissable multiple games in a row while losing to us. Which was my essential point. How many major bowls have we been to of ANY kind through any means? We missed our best shot in 1984, then got dumped in the bowl we did play in.

Isn't this a thread about BOOM! getting an extension? Again, you can't compare what they did to what we're doing now. It's quite obvious we could have won the ACC in some of the years we beat them. Then we would have been in an Orange Bowl. We're not in the ACC.

His expectations are more realistic after 3 years than yours are. Tanner must not be reading your posts because Muschamp got an extension and he didn't call you once. You want everybody fired and start over so you can whine about that new coach too. Do you live your life this way too man?
Can't he answer for himself? I asked him what his expectations were and he told me what they weren't. You mind?

dab o'sweenie coaches in the pathetic coastal atlantic league

1-412 is not a fact, it's pure hyperbole. You seem to be the one who has the problem with facts.

You have got to be Clemronite. You desperately support a coach who is 1-12 vs top 25 teams, can't beat UK, and continues to recruit in the bottom half of the SEC.

So, you're either a Clemsonite , OR, you are the type of fan who is solely responsible for our mediocrity. You think chicken $%%% is just peachy fantastic all the way around I guess. So which are you? Because you're absolutely one or the other. No way around it.

Three more victories than we have than we have right now: two over Kentucky, one over Florida.
That could have happened and should have, but as a program I'm okay with where we stand. We should have without a doubt beaten UF but we quit. OK just keep on recruiting after we stopped under Spurrier. The UK was another game we let get away because we couldn't throw and catch I'm just hoping it gets better and it will.

You have got to be Clemronite. You desperately support a coach who is 1-12 vs top 25 teams, can't beat UK, and continues to recruit in the bottom half of the SEC.

So, you're either a Clemsonite , OR, you are the type of fan who is solely responsible for our mediocrity. You think chicken $%%% is just peachy fantastic all the way around I guess. So which are you? Because you're absolutely one or the other. No way around it.
Create a poll....let's see who posters think is the Clemson fan, you or I.

Create a poll....let's see who posters think is the Clemson fan, you or I.

I'm the one demanding better. Lol. Do you really have that much difficulty accepting the facts presented to you? Champ =
1-12 vs top 25 teams
Can't beat UK
recruits in the bottom half of the SEC

And you're all for him???????????? SERIOUSLY????? Good God.

Last edited:
Reactions: spook spook
I'm the one demanding better. Lol. Do you really have that much difficulty accepting the facts presented to you? Champ =
1-12 vs top 25 teams
Can't beat UK
recruits in the bottom half of the SEC

And you're all for him???????????? SERIOUSLY????? Good God.
No. You are demanding they fire Muschamp after 3 years, that is not equivalent to demanding better.

Isn't this a thread about BOOM! getting an extension? Again, you can't compare what they did to what we're doing now. It's quite obvious we could have won the ACC in some of the years we beat them. Then we would have been in an Orange Bowl. We're not in the ACC.
Could have? Perhaps. I really can't comment authoritatively on hypotheticals.

What are your expectations for year 4?
I expect we will be a better team in year 4. That may not mean more wins. Have you looked at our schedule ?
We play Alabama, @Georgia, and clemson. Find me another team in the nation that has three games that tough.
Florida will be improved, @Missouri,they will be a dangerous team. @Texas A&M, I expect they will be improved. Tennessee and Vandy may or may not be improved. Kentucky probably will not be as good. Look the 2019 schedule and tell me where you see more wins than 2018.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT