ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamp Contract Extension

No. You are demanding they fire Muschamp after 3 years, that is not equivalent to demanding better.

To put it in perspective:
Sparky Feakin' Woods won 3 games against top 25 teams in his ONLY TWO years coaching in the SEC. Miss St, Tenn, and UGA.

And even Fat Brad managed to beat #22 Clemson in 96'.

Now think about it carefully, you're deliberately defending a coach who is mentioned in the same breath as Sparky and Brad. You wonder why our football program is mediocre? Find a mirror and look in it.

We can do better. Much better. Indeed, not only am I demanding Champ be fired, also add the entire BOT and AD. We can absolutely do better and sure as heck can't do any worse. Neither Champ nor Ray are going to make it......but sure, let's give both of them 3 more years so that even those who need braille can see it, as if the current writing on the wall isn't enough.

Reactions: spook spook
I expect we will be a better team in year 4. That may not mean more wins. Have you looked at our schedule ?
We play Alabama, @Georgia, and clemson. Find me another team in the nation that has three games that tough.
Florida will be improved, @Missouri,they will be a dangerous team. @Texas A&M, I expect they will be improved. Tennessee and Vandy may or may not be improved. Kentucky probably will not be as good. Look the 2019 schedule and tell me where you see more wins than 2018.
So what you're saying is ranked teams mean losses, right? I'm not making any predictions. So if we get to six wins next year does Muschamp deserve another handsome raise?

To put it in perspective:
Sparky Feakin' Woods won 3 games against top 25 teams in his ONLY TWO years coaching in the SEC. Miss St, Tenn, and UGA.

And even Fat Brad managed to beat #22 Clemson in 96'.

Now think about it carefully, you're deliberately defending a coach who is mentioned in the same breath as Sparky and Brad. You wonder why our football program is mediocre? Find a mirror and look in it.

We can do better. Much better. Indeed, not only am I demanding Champ be fired, also add the entire BOT and AD. We can absolutely do better and sure as heck can't do any worse. Neither Champ nor Ray are going to make it......but sure, let's give both of them 3 more years so that even those who need braille can see it, as if the current writing on the wall isn't enough.
Broken record. Such a myopic viewpoint....based on this, you would've fired Nick Saban at Michigan State and never hired him at LSU.

Reactions: CockaDude-a-Dude
The explanation for the extension is beyond ludicrous.

Someone is going to buy out the contract to get a coach who tanked at UF, hasn't beaten anyone here of real significance and is is 6-27 versus ranked teams?

Seems extremely odd - as if there's some type of behind the scenes arrangement b/t the Club Money brothers....If the whole thing goes South in a year or two, they (Ray & Champ) are both perfectly fine.

Can't he answer for himself? I asked him what his expectations were and he told me what they weren't. You mind?
Sorry,I thought I answered that. Maybe this will make it more simple to understand.

After a three win season in 2015. I expected less than 6 wins in Muschamp's first season.

2017, I thought 7 wins would show improvement. Did not expect 9 wins.

2018, I was hoping for another 9 win season, but knew there was a good chance we might not get there. If we win our bowl game that will be 8 wins. Nobody expected Kentucky to be the most improved team in the conference. That is where we lost our chance at a 9 win season.

So what you're saying is ranked teams mean losses
Show me where I said that. I do not think our program is far enough along in the Muschamp rebuilding era to expect a win over a top 5 team. We will encounter some teams next season ranked between 15 -25 and I think we will be capable of getting a win against them, especially if we play them at home.
In a power 5 conference you cant go cheap on a coaches salary, and expect him to stay with you after some success. You have to pay the big bucks if you want to compete. In todays world of college football it is a high dollar gamble on any coach. The AD believes the program is heading in the right direction. That means you have to put up more dollars or somebody else will.

Last edited:
Did you expect 10 wins this year with a banged up defense and a first year OC learning the ropes?

Not sure why y'all are over here defending Dabo or criticizing Muschamp. We have several "fans" who are more than willing to do that and more for you. With fans like some of ours, we don't need hated rivals.

Muschamp seems to finally have some consistency with assistants, so hopefully being able to hang on to them will be the difference between him succeeding here long term or not. We can tweak a couple positions, but keeping Werner and Mclendon is huge. I still want to see if he ever switches the d-line coach to linebackers and go out and hire a new DL coach.
He's done a good job with new assistants. As for Lance Thompson, I doubt he sticks around.

Well, here's a dose of reality. BOOM! is poised to be the winningest USC coach ever after 3 seasons.
Boom is set for life. All he has to do is keep doing what he's doing. He could ride into retirement never having won more than nine games in a given year. He could ride into retirement if he never wins nine games again.

Reactions: Carolina86
I don’t think this is a big deal. Pretty common to do this. Have to have your coaches under contract for 5 years just to be able to recruit. Tanner can be criticized for some things but this was certainly going to happen.
Contract extensions...yes. But he also got a $1M raise

Contract extensions...yes. But he also got a $1M raise

He should’ve. It’s $200,000 annually. Again, this is typical of any job to get a raise after a review. If you don’t, watch out. Muschamp isn’t under any heat right now. $1 million over 5 years isn’t a big deal when compared to a raise he probably gets if we went 12-0. It’s not like we bumped him up $1 million a year.

Some may have doubts about Muschamp’s ability looking toward the future but as far as year 3 goes, we probably would’ve taken this record back when he was hired if offered. You have to remember, Tanner isn’t a fan. The guy hired him, believes in him, and is going to make decisions that way until he proves otherwise. Which at this point, he hasn’t. He’s won more games in 3 years than any previous Carolina Coach. These guys work together and it’s helpful if they have a healthy relationship. It helps if Muschamp feels his administration believes in him.

He has to beat Kentucky and do better against Top 25 teams. As hard as the UF and A&M losses were, it is clear we are getting better.

Again, this is a big fuss about nothing. $200,000 annually to make sure Muschamp feels we have been loyal is peanuts when you look at the grand scheme of things. There aren’t a whole lot of big names out there to land if we were to, someday, lose Muschamp. What if we do put it all together in the next year or two, have some huge upsets and teams come calling? That $200,000 a year is nothing.

What if we suck and fire Muschamp after 5 seasons? That $200,000 was nothing. And well worth the risk.

Heck, usually the Tanner bashers are complaining we won’t spend money...same people bashing Tanner are probably the same people laughing when Dabo was getting raises during his losing streak to us. It may not work out. But geez, I’m just glad to have someone finally thinking long-term.

He should’ve. It’s $200,000 annually. Again, this is typical of any job to get a raise after a review. If you don’t, watch out. Muschamp isn’t under any heat right now. $1 million over 5 years isn’t a big deal when compared to a raise he probably gets if we went 12-0. It’s not like we bumped him up $1 million a year.

Some may have doubts about Muschamp’s ability looking toward the future but as far as year 3 goes, we probably would’ve taken this record back when he was hired if offered.

He has to beat Kentucky and do better against Top 25 teams. As hard as the UF and A&M losses were, it is clear we are getting better.

Again, this is s big fuss about nothing. $200,000 annually to make sure Muschamp feels we have been loyal is peanuts when you look at the grand scheme of things. There aren’t a whole lot of big names out there to land if we lose Muschamp. What if we do put it all together in the next year or two, have some huge upsets and teams come calling? That $200,000 a year is nothing.

What if we suck and fire Muschamp after 5 seasons? That $200,000 was nothing. And we’ll worth the risk.

Heck, usually the Tanner bashers are complaining we won’t spend money...

Original contract was $3M per year and increasing $100k each year
New contract is $4.2M per year and increasing $200k per year

IMO, that's a hefty price to pay increase to ensure no one takes him away after a 7 win season.

IMO, that's a hefty price to pay to ensure no one takes him away after a 7 win season.
$4.2 million is $11,500.00 a day, seven days a week. Holy smokes!

IMO, that's a hefty price to pay increase to ensure no one takes him away after a 7 win season.

I’ll have to look into it more. Just know article says he was paid $4.2 in 2018, which should be that raise had already taken place, maybe last season?

And we play a lot for our coach. Not so that he doesn’t leave after 7 wins, but so he doesn’t leave after 10 wins if we are able to get it together. That’s what I was saying previously. Anyone can come calling after Muschamp proves everyone wrong and pay him. We are hoping he’ll remember this loyalty and stick with us. And as mentioned, Tanner believes in him and he should believe in him.

If the raise was from $3M to $4.2M after a 7-5 season...I’ll agree it was probably too much. But again, if he were paid $4.2M in 2018, and this just approved, I’m assuming that $1.2M raise was over the past 2 years. Or included incentives? I really don’t know.

Reactions: funktavious
Don't know if anyone has considered this, but if Champ don't make it the budget will already be set up for the next guy to be paid well. In other words, we keep the pay up to date with the competition. It makes the job more attractive to potential hires. BTW, I think he's great and will eventually take us places we've never been!

Reactions: PC31
This is beating a dead horse . Like it or not Muschamp will be here for at least two more years . It’s just that simple . He may turn it around and he may not . The real question is if we go 7-5 or 6-6 the next two years , what happens ?? If the fan base and the Admin just acknowledge that this is the way Carolina football has been for 100 years and a winning season and a bowl game are good enough then that’s what will continue to happen . And honestly that stadium will be packed and the university will sale just as much gear if we go 6-6 or we go 11-0 . It just is what it is . Unless Muschamp implodes and we start going 3-9 or worse , he will retire a very rich legend here and you guys all know it . All you guys that bitch and moan about firing coaches will still buy tickets , Gamecock Grill Covers , and tune in every Sat to watch what happens because we are all addicted !!

...The real question is if we go 7-5 or 6-6 the next two years , what happens ??...
There's no question about what happens. He'll be retained as long as he can keep his nose above water. One nostril can even go under once in awhile and he will be retained.
And honestly that stadium will be packed and the university will sale just as much gear if we go 6-6 or we go 11-0 .
That first part already isn't happening.

That means you have to put up more dollars or somebody else will.
I like Will as a coach and recruiter but this false fear of losing him is getting a bit ridiculous and is causing us to spend boatloads. If we won 10-11 games this year and beaten some ranked teams I could understand the justification. Who else is paying him $4 million+ a year to leave Carolina?

Last edited:
There's no question about what happens. He'll be retained as long as he can keep his nose above water. One nostril can even go under once in awhile and he will be retained.
That first part already isn't happening.

Nah that place was still packed . The Akron game is a weird freaky circumstance . I can bet pretty much every other game at home was a sellout on paper or at least close. I don’t know for sure but watching at home every game looked like a full house , or maybe that was just the Seagrams 7 blurring my vision .

I like Will as a coach and recruiter but this false fear of losing him is getting a bit ridiculous and is causing us to spend boatloads. If we won 10-11 games this year and beaten some ranked teams I could understand the justification. Who else is paying him $4 million+ a year to leave Carolina?
But is it the fear of losing Champ or rewarding him for working his butt off and bringing in better players?I know the record ain't that pretty yet but look down the road, the man can recruit and he has a recruiting staff can too. We wouldn't be getting the better players without him and BMac etc. I see the increase as an investment in the future. Reality is we had a lot of injuries this season that cost us pick time but that comes with the territory. Good players make good coaches and Mushchamp is getting them if he don't win with them string him up...lol. JMO of course.

Reactions: rogue cock
Nah that place was still packed . The Akron game is a weird freaky circumstance . I can bet pretty much every other game at home was a sellout on paper or at least close. I don’t know for sure but watching at home every game looked like a full house , or maybe that was just the Seagrams 7 blurring my vision .
It wan't even packed for Georgia or Tennessee - less so for Missouri. Packed doesn't mean what it used to in Columbia anymore - or in other places. And we've become creative with the numbers, a skill we learned years ago from the people up at UPC.

It wan't even packed for Georgia or Tennessee - less so for Missouri. Packed doesn't mean what it used to in Columbia anymore - or in other places. And we've become creative with the numbers, a skill we learned years ago from the people up at UPC.

As long as the tickets were paid for the admin could care less if people show up . The UGA was certainly packed until the end of third , got empty real quick after that .

Personally, bro King I think TV and the lack to being able to just afford to attend is the answer. JMO of course.

Personally, bro King I think TV and the lack to being able to just afford to attend is the answer. JMO of course.
I agree with that. But whatever the causes are, the stadium(s) rarely fill up anymore. I noticed the other week when I was riding by Darlington Raceway that they have given the seats a mottled paint job, so that on TV, they appear to be occupied even when they aren't. I wonder if colleges whose stadiums are suddenly too big will get around to using that approach to give the illusion of higher attendance.

It doesn't indicate satisfaction or dissatisfaction in the current record. It just indicates that he is happy with the overall progress in the program.....as am I.

How about the rise in ticket prices? Why not just throw a hundred per victory over Chattanouga and Akron and Coastal instead of fifty? Then we can boast about our quality victories increase in value.:oops:

How about the rise in ticket prices? Why not just throw a hundred per victory over Chattanouga and Akron and Coastal instead of fifty? Then we can boast about our quality victories increase in value.:oops:
Totally different subject. I would love for us to improve our OOC schedule and play home and homes against B1G teams and some of our old ACC rivals, but there are arguments against it also. Mine is simply a personal preference because I would like to have an excuse to visit some of those old B1G stadiums again. Our ticket prices aren't out of line with anyone else's.

Rival coaches are always looking for ammo to use during recruiting. If a coach doesn't get extended and get a raise it's a clear sign that the administration lacks faith in him and that his situation is tenuous. At that point they may as well just fire him.
Exactly correct. SOS doomed us with his "I plan on coaching about 2 or 3 years more" dagger.

Just heard on the radio...You're either getting extended, you're in limbo or you're getting fired. Is BOOM! in limbo here?

We are so much better now than we were when Coach Muschamp took over. Do you remember how bad the last 2 years were under Spurrier and how bad we were trending? Anyone who thought this was a quick fix was crazy. How many years did it take Spurrier to get to 9 or more wins? He didn't take over near the dumpster fire he left.

We were having to play a walk on qb in Spurriers last year, a walk on!! I am very pleased with progress and think 7 wins with injuries we suffered was a good coaching job. But hey, let's fire him and start a new rebuild again.

We are so much better now than we were when Coach Muschamp took over. Do you remember how bad the last 2 years were under Spurrier and how bad we were trending? Anyone who thought this was a quick fix was crazy. How many years did it take Spurrier to get to 9 or more wins? He didn't take over near the dumpster fire he left.

We were having to play a walk on qb in Spurriers last year, a walk on!! I am very pleased with progress and think 7 wins with injuries we suffered was a good coaching job. But hey, let's fire him and start a new rebuild again.
You are right....but the point is going to fall on deaf ears.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT