ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamp Contract Extension

Ray got used and abused by 3 coaches, all of whom shared the same agent, when he hired Muschamp. Nobody was interested in hiring Muschamp as a head coach then, and nobody is interested in coming in and stealing him now.

Ray was a heckuva baseball coach, but he is in way over his head as an AD. You do not reward mediocrity. Who have we beaten that was highly ranked at the time we played them? Nobody!
AMEN!!

Muschamp has done a lot with a little bit. In time he will get us to greater heights. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and neither are successful football programs. He’s been more successful than Spurrier was in his first three years. He’s a recruiting machine. I like the direction he’s leading us. And I support the contract extension. I definitely support Muschamp.

Totally different subject. I would love for us to improve our OOC schedule and play home and homes against B1G teams and some of our old ACC rivals, but there are arguments against it also. Mine is simply a personal preference because I would like to have an excuse to visit some of those old B1G stadiums again. Our ticket prices aren't out of line with anyone else's.
your post makes logical sense especially if you are buying tickets to "anyone else's" games Eyeroll

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
We are so much better now than we were when Coach Muschamp took over. Do you remember how bad the last 2 years were under Spurrier and how bad we were trending? Anyone who thought this was a quick fix was crazy. How many years did it take Spurrier to get to 9 or more wins? He didn't take over near the dumpster fire he left.

We were having to play a walk on qb in Spurriers last year, a walk on!! I am very pleased with progress and think 7 wins with injuries we suffered was a good coaching job. But hey, let's fire him and start a new rebuild again.
I honestly do not think we should fire him. Neither should we laud
his mediocrity as if the many, many 3 *'s were the apex of recruiting success. Once again all the driveling platitudes which are being cast on him as if he were a pastor in a church of snake handlers seem to be just a bit over the top. I am no fan of Jimbo Fisher but I think his 2ND recruiting year at A&M deserves this type of recognition. But I am willing to admit my ignorance re recruiting prowess. o_O

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Did you expect 10 wins this year with a banged up defense and a first year OC learning the ropes?

I think Muschamp is 'safe' for USC as far as turnover at his position (HC) is concerned as well as his 'core' coaching staff. The real bonus we have in Boom is that he has a fire in his belly. The names of the stokers are Kirby Smart (nothing personal), UGA and the 'Bull Gators' (big time donors) at UF. I don't think he'll rest until he's given them all their due - BUT you'll never hear him mention this matter or refer to it in any way.

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone has considered this, but if Champ don't make it the budget will already be set up for the next guy to be paid well. In other words, we keep the pay up to date with the competition. It makes the job more attractive to potential hires. BTW, I think he's great and will eventually take us places we've never been!

That’s not how these things work. If USC needed a new head coach, that coach’s value in the market will drive his salary, not what the previous coach was making.

I like Will as a coach and recruiter but this false fear of losing him is getting a bit ridiculous and is causing us to spend boatloads. If we won 10-11 games this year and beaten some ranked teams I could understand the justification. Who else is paying him $4 million+ a year to leave Carolina?

Tennessee would have been happy to have him last year during their desperate search for a coach. Plus, he beats them like a rented mule.

Tennessee would have been happy to have him last year during their desperate search for a coach. Plus, he beats them like a rented mule.
Not so sure about that. Vandy has been beating UT too and I don't know if their fans would be pleased with hiring Mason.

Last edited:
Rival coaches are always looking for ammo to use during recruiting. If a coach doesn't get extended and get a raise it's a clear sign that the administration lacks faith in him and that his situation is tenuous. At that point they may as well just fire him.

Yep

If you are to take Tanner at his word he stated he did not want to worry about CWM leaving.
With that said has anyone heard about other schools making serious overtures to Muschamp. I'm not aware of any.
If that indeed was the true reason for the contract extension, then I would question the wisdom of this business decision.

Champ is what...?.....1 for 412 in beating top 25 teams?

At SOME POINT you are forced to do the math. A simple good luck / bad luck scenario would have him closer to 50 / 50 in wins and losses in those games. Winning only ONE indicates he cannot coach to save his life and it cannot be spun any other way.

Now, throw in the inexcusable and unacceptable losses to UK and the writing is on the wall. I'll say it again: Neither Ray nor Champ will be here in 2 years because the fact of the matter is neither one of them can get it done. Sunshine pump away....doesn't change the facts.
Brutal but true assessment of facts!Eyeroll

Reactions: Jpcooper
Muschamp has not done anything on the field to warrant a contract extension. I love Ray Tanner the baseball coach but I think the board made a poor decision to hire him as AD based on baseball success. I think we will be ok with Muschamp moving forward but until he beats a team with a pulse on a consistent basis, he doesn’t deserve a contract extension!
he seems to excel in seances though :confused::cool::eek:

But they either won or played for an ACC title all those years, and appeared in some big bowls, so that was his "out". The SEC ain't gonna work out that well for us.
and if we were in the acc we probably woulda been playing for it

Dabo was also winning championships and finishing in the top 10 during the same period. The two situations are not comparable.
but everyone says that is in the weak acc...so now it means something...hmmmm, just ain't never happy...

That's it. They were winning or competing to win the ACC. Which made him non-dismissable multiple games in a row while losing to us. Which was my essential point. How many major bowls have we been to of ANY kind through any means? We missed our best shot in 1984, then got dumped in the bowl we did play in.
and who was their toughest competition in the ACC at that time? Ga Tech. That's how bad the ACC was back then, not that its better now but Ga Tech was the cream of the crop. They were winning ACC titles and we were 3 TDs better than them.

Reactions: CockaDude-a-Dude
To put it in perspective:
Sparky Feakin' Woods won 3 games against top 25 teams in his ONLY TWO years coaching in the SEC. Miss St, Tenn, and UGA.

And even Fat Brad managed to beat #22 Clemson in 96'.

Now think about it carefully, you're deliberately defending a coach who is mentioned in the same breath as Sparky and Brad. You wonder why our football program is mediocre? Find a mirror and look in it.

We can do better. Much better. Indeed, not only am I demanding Champ be fired, also add the entire BOT and AD. We can absolutely do better and sure as heck can't do any worse. Neither Champ nor Ray are going to make it......but sure, let's give both of them 3 more years so that even those who need braille can see it, as if the current writing on the wall isn't enough.
How many winning seasons did they have and what was their bowl record? What good is it if you beat a ranked team and turn around and have a losing record? The year before Muschamp took over we were 3-9. Did you expect a coach to come in and have us winning a NC the next season? There's nothing wrong with demanding excellence but you're expecting miracles. The team has improved each season under Muschamp and as long as we continue to see improvement you're not going to see him going anywhere. If Muschamp were to be fired right now, there's not a reputable coach that would even consider coming here. We might as well ask Shawn Elliot to come back.

Reactions: rogue cock
Rival coaches are always looking for ammo to use during recruiting. If a coach doesn't get extended and get a raise it's a clear sign that the administration lacks faith in him and that his situation is tenuous. At that point they may as well just fire him.
and honestly, that contract extension doesn't mean that the coach will be here for the duration of it. If things went bad, I don't care how many years were left on the contract, he'd be out of here.

Last edited:
I honestly do not think we should fire him. Neither should we laud
his mediocrity as if the many, many 3 *'s were the apex of recruiting success. Once again all the driveling platitudes which are being cast on him as if he were a pastor in a church of snake handlers seem to be just a bit over the top. I am no fan of Jimbo Fisher but I think his 2ND recruiting year at A&M deserves this type of recognition. But I am willing to admit my ignorance re recruiting prowess. o_O
What a lot of people seem to still fail to realize about recruiting is that it really is about location. Texas A&M is in a state rich with talent. They could exclusively recruit from their home state and still have top 10 classes almost every year. In the state of SC, according to rivals there were 4 kids with a 4 star or better rating. That's it. We have to be able to hit neighboring states to do well and it's a lot harder to do that without success on the gridiron. Clemson is doing it because of their success over the last 10 seasons. We may not be where a lot of us had hoped in recruiting but it's still not bad and this year we needed defensive linemen bad and we hit that area the hardest and it should pay dividends real soon. I was worried about BMac but he has shown us some innovation on offense and I like the direction we are headed there. We were all disappointed with the way the defense played this year and if there isn't a dramatic improvement then some changes will need to be made.

and who was their toughest competition in the ACC at that time? Ga Tech. That's how bad the ACC was back then, not that its better now but Ga Tech was the cream of the crop. They were winning ACC titles and we were 3 TDs better than them.
It doesn't really matter. The weak conference served their purposes, and while competing in that environment, Dabo built a team capable of not only reaching the playoff, but winning it. They were both charmed on the one hand, but also became capable on the other.

What a lot of people seem to still fail to realize about recruiting is that it really is about location. Texas A&M is in a state rich with talent. They could exclusively recruit from their home state and still have top 10 classes almost every year. In the state of SC, according to rivals there were 4 kids with a 4 star or better rating. That's it. We have to be able to hit neighboring states to do well and it's a lot harder to do that without success on the gridiron. Clemson is doing it because of their success over the last 10 seasons. We may not be where a lot of us had hoped in recruiting but it's still not bad and this year we needed defensive linemen bad and we hit that area the hardest and it should pay dividends real soon. I was worried about BMac but he has shown us some innovation on offense and I like the direction we are headed there. We were all disappointed with the way the defense played this year and if there isn't a dramatic improvement then some changes will need to be made.

funny you should mention this since jillions of posts have expounded upon the theory that our success/failure is dependant on in-state success in recruiting. hummh! I wonder which it is. By the by, I heartily agree with your closing assessment.

funny you should mention this since jillions of posts have expounded upon the theory that our success/failure is dependant on in-state success in recruiting. hummh! I wonder which it is. By the by, I heartily agree with your closing assessment.
It all starts in state. You want to win the local guys first and we got the guys we wanted from our state. I think I heard we were 4 for 4 on the guys we offered. The biggest of those 2 were Zacc and Cam. I was also reading where a lot of people think that Cam is a fringe 5 star guy. He's supposed to be really good. I think our top guys in this class are better than they have been in the past.

It all starts in state. You want to win the local guys first and we got the guys we wanted from our state. I think I heard we were 4 for 4 on the guys we offered. The biggest of those 2 were Zacc and Cam. I was also reading where a lot of people think that Cam is a fringe 5 star guy. He's supposed to be really good. I think our top guys in this class are better than they have been in the past.
I read that as well.

It’s hard to lean on in state too much. We have so many non qualifiers that it can sabotage your effort. Have to be picky.

Reactions: 67gamecock
just wondering...i'd like for the experts on here to make up their minds... it just seems that often the stated opinions here waver like wind blown tree limbs... I guess it is ok to vacillate though... it's kinda like you might and you might not...that way you pretty much tag all your bases :) and since you don't really ever retract any statement, you can smile benignly
thank you for your time:confused:

Last edited:
just wondering...i'd like for the experts on here to make up their minds... it just seems that often the stated opinions here waver like wind blown tree limbs... I guess it is ok to vacillate though... it's kinda like you might and you might not...that way you pretty much tag all your bases :) and since you don't really ever retract any statement, you can smile benignly
thank you for your time:confused:
...vacillate, benignly...

Compassionate dithering on your part there no doubt!!

:cool::p:D:p:cool:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT