ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamp proved to me he is not a great coach!

Triton20x

Feb 1, 2008
Long post:

First of all, you don't see me talking bad about coaches. I haven't bad-mouthed Champ, I have questioned his payraises from Tanner and questioned his coordinator thoughts. I have defended Champ slightly and I have highly defended Frank Martin. I'm starting to question my defense about both but today was a terrible display of coaching by Champ compounded by things I have seen all year.

Champ saw a great performance by Scarneccia earlier this year. Since then he has seen a few bad performances by JB. But today was truly the definition of insanity. It's a damn bowl game, you go down 21-0 in 3rd qtr but yet you keep sending out same JB playbook. Why would you not give a SR that pulled out a huge win opportunity to play out a series or two in his final year? This is terrible for freshman and recruits to see that a coach won't change schemes when down but not give Scar a chance?

But take that further, if Joyner is half the athlete I saw in HS, you can't tell me they can't put in a wildcat series just to change the look of the offense.

Bottomline::: this just proves to me that Champ is not a great coach. He either is 100% headstrong and don't take direction from coordinators or he is 100% opposite. But if you are not willing to show a different system or give a proven player an opportunity to duplicate his past great play? Then basically you have tunnel vision and can't think outside the box. Worst display of coaching I have seen from Champ! He will be fired in 2yrs or less? Next year he will be lucky to make a bowl and likely 5-7.

Prove me wrong! Sorry for long post

Have you considered that Muschamp is playing for more than this year? That playing a senior qb recruited before he got here may not seem worthwhile, but instead getting tough big game experience for a qb who will be here was more valuable to him?

Have you considered that Muschamp is playing for more than this year? That playing a senior qb recruited before he got here may not seem worthwhile, but instead getting tough big game experience for a qb who will be here was more valuable to him?
Fair question. But, have you seen anything in Muschamp's 7 years as a head coach to make you think he's playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers?
I'll be the first to admit that most of the displeasure with Muschamp comes from: A. The bungled coaching search that landed a recently fired SEC coach. B. The run by Spurrier that finally raised expectations around here. C. The ridiculous level of success our primary rival has achieved the past 4 years.
All that said: Muschamp deserves 4-5 years (barring a complete debacle next season.) However, I've seen next to nothing from him to make me think this will turn out well.

So he isn't a players coach and when the game is probably out of hand he wouldn't give Scarneccia a reasonable chance to run a couple series. Heck, it should have been for educational purposes because if he moved the ball to a TD, maybe Champ would realize they are not coaching Bentley correctly or maybe Scar could bring the team back with some enthusiasm. Not giving Scar a couple series was terrible coaching!! You may disagree but what was happening for the first 30-45min wasn't working!

Last edited:
Long post:

First of all, you don't see me talking bad about coaches. I haven't bad-mouthed Champ, I have questioned his payraises from Tanner and questioned his coordinator thoughts. I have defended Champ slightly and I have highly defended Frank Martin. I'm starting to question my defense about both but today was a terrible display of coaching by Champ compounded by things I have seen all year.

Champ saw a great performance by Scarneccia earlier this year. Since then he has seen a few bad performances by JB. But today was truly the definition of insanity. It's a damn bowl game, you go down 21-0 in 3rd qtr but yet you keep sending out same JB playbook. Why would you not give a SR that pulled out a huge win opportunity to play out a series or two in his final year? This is terrible for freshman and recruits to see that a coach won't change schemes when down but not give Scar a chance?

But take that further, if Joyner is half the athlete I saw in HS, you can't tell me they can't put in a wildcat series just to change the look of the offense.

Bottomline::: this just proves to me that Champ is not a great coach. He either is 100% headstrong and don't take direction from coordinators or he is 100% opposite. But if you are not willing to show a different system or give a proven player an opportunity to duplicate his past great play? Then basically you have tunnel vision and can't think outside the box. Worst display of coaching I have seen from Champ! He will be fired in 2yrs or less? Next year he will be lucky to make a bowl and likely 5-7.

Prove me wrong! Sorry for long post

Same thing happened at UF with Jeff Driskell . He was loyal to Driskell to the end . I think we will just need to suck it up and come to terms with the fact we have two more years of Muschamp and then we can unfortunately start over again . Ideally I would like to see him gone before Hillinski takes the reigns . Sucks because at the beginning of the year I thought the light had turned on for him . Hey the good news is we can spend more time on the water next fall .

Same thing happened at UF with Jeff Driskell . He was loyal to Driskell to the end . I think we will just need to suck it up and come to terms with the fact we have two more years of Muschamp and then we can unfortunately start over again . Ideally I would like to see him gone before Hillinski takes the reigns . Sucks because at the beginning of the year I thought the light had turned on for him . Hey the good news is we can spend more time on the water next fall .
Yeah, I love to fish! It always gets interrupted by football, but man the fish were biting last weekend when I didn't have football to worry about!

So he isn't a players coach and when the game is probably out of hand he wouldn't give Scarneccia a reasonable chance to run a couple series. Heck, it should have been for educational purposes because if he moved the ball to a TD, maybe Champ would realize they are not coaching Bentley correctly or maybe Scar could bring the team back with some emthenthiasm. Not giving Scar a couple series was terrible coaching!! You may disagree but what was happening for the first 30-45min wasn't working!

He is a player's coach, but a "his" players coach. Scarneccia wasn't recruited by him. That favoritism isn't unusual. The new transfer portal will have players like Scar long gone whenever a new coach shows up. You are likely right about strategy if winning the game is the sole motivation. Not, if you aren't worrying about damaging Bentley's confidence by taking him out of the middle of a big game for instance. If looking forward to the future, playing a senior qb just to win the game may not seem as attractive.

Same thing happened at UF with Jeff Driskell . He was loyal to Driskell to the end .

Not really. He didn't have many other choices. Don't say Treon Harris as Harris had off the field issues that made it impossible for Muschamp to depend on him as a starter.

Also, Muschamp always plays the top recruit that he has recruited. Driskell was a 5-star, No.1 qb recruit in the nation. Here Hilinski will be the top Muschamp qb recruit, so Muschamp favoring him is logical.

This whole team has piss poor fundamentals from top to bottom. Thank god I will never have to watch Montac or Fenton ever play another down of football in my life. That’s the positive thing I’m taking away from today.

He is a player's coach, but a "his" players coach. Scarneccia wasn't recruited by him. That favoritism isn't unusual. The new transfer portal will have players like Scar long gone whenever a new coach shows up. You are likely right about strategy if winning the game is the sole motivation. Not, if you aren't worrying about damaging Bentley's confidence by taking him out of the middle of a big game for instance. If looking forward to the future, playing a senior qb just to win the game may not seem as attractive.
Well considering Champ was playing 60-70% of Spurrier's players then I doubt it was a "my guy" scenario and if it was it is the most short-sighted reason ever. Jake played better than he has ever had after he Scar win a tough game. Giving JB a break on the sidelines might have got him refocused or proved how bad he sucked if Scar started moving the ball. Again, beating the same dead horse don't make it go faster! As a coach, Champ needed to see if Scar could move the ball or he needed to see if the Joyner Moxie for next year could be a viable solution. Some players are not great practice players and much better game time stars.

But all the above just proves my point that Muschamp is not a good coach? We don't know any of the above due to poor coaching decisions.

Why would he think 10-12 practices is by far enough when he could have coached 15 to put his RSs in the mix? He could put his eyes on the RS players to see if any could help in the bowl game? But no, 10-12 is enough for a 28-0 loss.

I think this just pushes my point forward? I could be wrong?

Yeah, I love to fish! It always gets interrupted by football, but man the fish were biting last weekend when I didn't have football to worry about!

Yeah but imagine how many good bites you missed out on this fall !! Won’t make that mistake next year . When we can beat Kentucky again I’ll put my rods up !!

Big game experience. This was the belk bowl.

I don’t think RT and everyone at the USC are on the same page as the fans. The fans think they are going to get a decent product. The school think it is a revenue source no matter what.

Oh, my, how right you are, but it will fly past so many on this board who cannot/will not see the big problem.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
This whole team has piss poor fundamentals from top to bottom. Thank god I will never have to watch Montac or Fenton ever play another down of football in my life. That’s the positive thing I’m taking away from today.
Hell yes. My thoughts exactly. Let No Contact Montac and Fenton retire to Fenton Island way the hell out in the Pacific Ocean somewhere

Sailfish bite is on fire . Buddy sent me a few pictures yesterday .
Well my buddy owns a 61 Viking and the wahoo are supposed to be rocking off the Dry Tortugas. I will know tomorrow if we are going but I think we are. I didnt take a holiday vaca hoping I get a great fishing trip! Fingers xrcross I get a good Christmas fishing trip

Big game experience. This was the belk bowl.

I don’t think RT and everyone at the USC are on the same page as the fans. The fans think they are going to get a decent product. The school think it is a revenue source no matter what.
This x1000. They look at yesterday as they sold out all their tickets. Winning be dammed, they got their tickets sold and made 1.7 million. What did the fans get? A bad experience and told "you need to be patient". F that. Give us a refund for those that bought tickets if you want my patience.

He won more games in three years than any other HD we had have. "DROPS THE MIC"
Matt Barber‏@dixiefriedsport
Losses by Gamecock coaches in first 3 years Holtz-18 Muschamp-17 Carlen-17 Spurrier 16 Scott-16 Sparky-15 Morrison-14 We keep hearing about how Muschamp is the winningest 3rd year coach, but to see where he stands on losses puts it in some perspective. More games are played now

8:20 AM - 30 Dec 2018 from South Carolina, USA

Muschamp's record (both here and at UF) against top 25 teams is abysmal. Better coaches coach circles around him. He's not some brilliant tactician. He's good a coaching technique and getting guys to play hard. But he's not great at developing schemes

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT