ADVERTISEMENT

My questions for the Frank Martin should be gone people

So you’re actually using our bad history pre Frank Martin against him?

That's two fold, you can't use the bad history before him against him. In the same sentence, you can't keep Frank after next year simply because of our "bad history". The man is paid to meet expectations. Those expectations are simple, make it to the dance, finish in the upper part of the SEC, and don't make it look like we're wasting $3m year for .500 results

That's two fold, you can't use the bad history before him against him. In the same sentence, you can't keep Frank after next year simply because of our "bad history". The man is paid to meet expectations. Those expectations are simple, make it to the dance, finish in the upper part of the SEC, and don't make it look like we're wasting $3m year for .500 results

The thing is he surpassed everyone’s expectations two years ago and he certainly surpassed my expectations this season (and every college basketball analyst). I’ve come to the conclusion that if you don’t believe Frank Martin overachieved this season you either A)Don’t understand college basketball or B) You are lying to yourself about the situation.

This is a hypothetical argument that is comparing football and basketball, so really not worth wasting time on, but gotta question what you're getting at...

My point is that we finished 4th in the SEC, but our horrible non-conference performance kept us out of the tournament.

An 11-7 SEC record in basketball roughly translates to a 5-3 record in football . If you did that in league play but lost to terrible non-conference teams and went 6-6, you ain't making the Outback Bowl.

Additionally, if you went 6-2 or 7-1 in league play, somehow won your division, but had 2 awful non-conference losses, you wouldn't make playoff even if you won the SEC Championship game.
not to argue, but making the SEC championship is a Hell of a lot better than just Making the Tournament.. (regardless of your record). To not make the NCAA tourney, is like not making a Bowl, odds of both are about the same i would bet..

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
The thing is he surpassed everyone’s expectations two years ago and he certainly surpassed my expectations this season (and every college basketball analyst). I’ve come to the conclusion that if you don’t believe Frank Martin overachieved this season you either A)Don’t understand college basketball or B) You are lying to yourself about the situation.

Over achieved this year by placing fourth in the SEC, Absolutely!!! Could not agree more! But How was it before SEC play? Lets forget that some of the injuries occurred after the loses to Wyoming, Providence, Stoney Brook, Ok St. We should hold those loses against him right? Games you have no business losing. We were 15-16 this year if you take out the win against North Greenville.
You can't deny the fact that as a whole FM is barely .500 while coach here.

Reactions: lawcalcock

Most these college basketball analysts don't know anything. They didn't even bother to re-evaluate AJ Lawson when he reclassified, so he fell from a top 50 recruit to a three star. Anyone who watched the FIBA Americas under-18 tournament and saw him more than hold his own against team USA and Josiah James knew he was a legit top tier guy and future NBA prospect. And Martin was pairing him with perhaps the best two-way player in the SEC. Revisionists history to say a team that performed like the 90th best team in the country somehow overachieved.

I do not equate making the tournament with making a bowl game. You can finish .500 and have a losing conference record and still make it to a bowl game. Just having a winning record in basketball IS the equivalent of making a bowl game. We just finished the basketball season ranked 4th in the SEC. If this were football we'd be playing in a New Year's Day bowl game.
There are 353 Div. 1 Basketball schools and 130 Football schools. There were 82 Bowl eligible teams this year of which 78 participated in a bowl game. Fielding a competitive basketball team when you only need 5 players on the field vs 12 also increases the competition level. Making the NCAA Tournament is much tougher than a bowl game. They are in no way comparable.

not to argue, but making the SEC championship is a Hell of a lot better than just Making the Tournament.. (regardless of your record). To not make the NCAA tourney, is like not making a Bowl, odds of both are about the same i would bet..

No I completely agree. Which is why I think it's absolutely crazy people are comparing this basketball season to the equivalent of an Outback Bowl football season. This basketball season is like a 6-6 football season and a bottom tier bowl at best.

Our SEC play this basketball season could have been the equivalent of an Outback Bowl football season (about a 5-3 record) but our non-conference play made it more like a Weedeater Bowl season.

This is a bizarre and pointless discussion, but hope what I'm saying makes some sense

Reactions: cockofdawn

When can you start looking at the body of work though? It's not like we are sitting here in Year 7 after 3-4 tournament appearances, maybe an SEC Tournament win, and complaining about not making the tournament or exceeding expectations this year. That, I agree, would be unreasonable.

But we are sitting here in Year 7 with 1 tournament appearance (albeit a very exciting one), 1 NIT appearance, and hardly any noise in SEC regular season or SEC tournament play.

When can you start looking at the body of work though? It's not like we are sitting here in Year 7 after 3-4 tournament appearances, maybe an SEC Tournament win, and complaining about not making the tournament or exceeding expectations this year. That, I agree, would be unreasonable.

But we are sitting here in Year 7 with 1 tournament appearance (albeit a very exciting one), 1 NIT appearance, and hardly any noise in SEC regular season or SEC tournament play.
BUT, BUT, ummm.... Injuries, Early exits, Umm umm, No one at the Coliseum, Rain, The Team is Young, ummm ummm, Bad officiating, Ummm.... etc etc etc

I really don't know what you're trying to get at. Frank Martin hasn't gotten enough good players to play for him at South Carolina, especially post 2015 recruiting cycle. Accordingly, his teams aren't performing well. The lone exception was the final four run, in which he had 3 very talented players based on good recruiting cycles in 2013 and 2015. If Frank Martin was able to get more quality players or his ability to find and developed undervalued talent was truly elite, his teams would perform better. I don't know how any of that is debatable. The results, or lack thereof, speak for themselves.
Martin still had Brad Underwood and Matt Figger on staff for one or both of those.

IMO opinion, The least you can expect is a Bowl (some bowl) and equivalent IMO is the NCAA tourney. Check how many Bowls Muschamp has gone to, in relation to number of NCAA tourneys Martin has gone to. Both are in fact Mediocre, but hell, The Gamecock basketball program isnt even Mediocre at this point..

Wha? Muschamp hasn't beaten anyone. He consistently takes care of the two creampuffs, Vandy and whoever is in the SEC basement. (UT, Ole Miss, etc)

The basketball team finished 4th in the SEC, beat several ranked teams and played an Auburn Team who blew out UT in the Final very close until the final bell. They are currently 81 in the NET and would have been around 40 if not for the lame start.

Have no idea if Frank should stay or go but this logic is a stretch.

Reactions: Cbreezy33
Wha? Muschamp hasn't beaten anyone. He consistently takes care of the two creampuffs, Vandy and whoever is in the SEC basement. (UT, Ole Miss, etc)

The basketball team finished 4th in the SEC, beat several ranked teams and played an Auburn Team who blew out UT in the Final very close until the final bell. They are currently 81 in the NET and would have been around 40 if not for the lame start.

Have no idea if Frank should stay or go but this logic is a stretch.
Three years versus 7 years. If Muschamp is still struggling this much after 7 years, he won't be here for the 8th even if he wins 11 games and a BCS game in year 5. So should Martin receive the same fate?

IMO opinion, The least you can expect is a Bowl (some bowl) and equivalent IMO is the NCAA tourney. Check how many Bowls Muschamp has gone to, in relation to number of NCAA tourneys Martin has gone to. Both are in fact Mediocre, but hell, The Gamecock basketball program isnt even Mediocre at this point..

That math will never work. There were 130 FBS CFB programs that played last season in the nation. Last season, there were 39 bowls played, involving 78 of those teams. That's 60% of ALL bowl-eligible teams that got into a bowl game last season.

Teams that finish with a .500 record - especially in the Power 5 conferences - were mostly guaranteed a spot in a bowl somewhere, although that doesn't always happen. To the other degree, often there were fewer teams with 6-6 records available for all the bowls, so some 5-7 teams have been known to get the chance to play.

In college men's basketball, there are currently 350 Division I MBB programs in the nation. Only 68 of those programs, or 19.4%, are eligible to play in the NCAAT this season. That's just under THREE TIMES LESS the percentage of CFB programs can make a bowl game.

It is far, far easier to make a bowl game in football than it is to make the NCAAT in men's basketball. It's almost equal to making what once were the BCS bowls, when they were in fashion, but back then you almost had to win your conference in football to rate those.....

Three years versus 7 years. If Muschamp is still struggling this much after 7 years, he won't be here for the 8th even if he wins 11 games and a BCS game in year 5. So should Martin receive the same fate?

Hard to say. College basketball is a different beast. Firmly believe SC has a better chance of succeeding in FB than BB, but that's a long discussion.

Frank went 25–9 in Year 4 and 26–11 in Year 5. The odds of Muschamp break .500 next year are pretty low.

Not to mention, Frank was performing well at Kansas State when he arrived. Muschamp stunk up Florida and Auburn before we got him. I believe that's relevant as well. Muschamp has had virtually no success as a head coach and he's been at it for over 7 years now.

That math will never work. There were 130 FBS CFB programs that played last season in the nation. Last season, there were 39 bowls played, involving 78 of those teams. That's 60% of ALL bowl-eligible teams that got into a bowl game last season.

Teams that finish with a .500 record - especially in the Power 5 conferences - were mostly guaranteed a spot in a bowl somewhere, although that doesn't always happen. To the other degree, often there were fewer teams with 6-6 records available for all the bowls, so some 5-7 teams have been known to get the chance to play.

In college men's basketball, there are currently 350 Division I MBB programs in the nation. Only 68 of those programs, or 19.4%, are eligible to play in the NCAAT this season. That's just under THREE TIMES LESS the percentage of CFB programs can make a bowl game.

It is far, far easier to make a bowl game in football than it is to make the NCAAT in men's basketball. It's almost equal to making what once were the BCS bowls, when they were in fashion, but back then you almost had to win your conference in football to rate those.....
Figure out the percentages of making the tournament just for the P-5 conference teams. Yes, there are more teams in Div. 1 basketball than football, but typically only one of those teams from the non-P5 conferences have a chance to make the tournament. I would guess that in a P-5 conference, a team has about the same chance of making it to the NCAA tournament as it does going to a bowl game.

Hard to say. College basketball is a different beast. Firmly believe SC has a better chance of succeeding in FB than BB, but that's a long discussion.

Frank went 25–9 in Year 4 and 26–11 in Year 5. The odds of Muschamp break .500 next year are pretty low.

Not to mention, Frank was performing well at Kansas State when he arrived. Muschamp stunk up Florida and Auburn before we got him. I believe that's relevant as well. Muschamp has had virtually no success as a head coach and he's been at it for over 7 years now.
What either did prior makes no difference. There are tons of coaches that weren't successful in their first opportunity. Both have different staffs than where they were prior. And, just for the record, Muschamp had a better regular season at UF than SC has EVER had in it's history.

What either did prior makes no difference. There are tons of coaches that weren't successful in their first opportunity. Both have different staffs than where they were prior. And, just for the record, Muschamp had a better regular season at UF than SC has EVER had in it's history.

Should have referenced the 2012 aberration. :) But then 2013 comes and he goes 4-8 and sets records with "his guys" that UF hadn't seen since the mid-1950s.

Not saying it doesn't happen but it's highly relevant - Especially given his start here and the fact he had a Top 5 program at his fingertips.

And it seems to be playing out:

- Still hasn't beaten UK, UGA, CU, A&M and clipped UF once in a coach firing situation. (1-15 record).
- Clemson is averaging almost 50 points a game against us.
- Over 90% of our standout players were from the "Dumpster Fire" he inherited. (had same DF narrative at UF)
- Beaten one ranked team in 3 years.
- 6-27 versus ranked as a head coach
- BLANKED by UVA at Belk Bowl (Only 8 D1 Teams were shutout last year. LSU to Bama and 7 others you've likely never heard of)

I'd give the edge to Frank at this point.

Should have referenced the 2012 aberration. :) But then 2013 comes and he goes 4-8 and sets records with "his guys" that UF hadn't seen since the mid-1950s.

Not saying it doesn't happen but it's highly relevant - Especially given his start here and the fact he had a Top 5 program at his fingertips.

And it seems to be playing out:

- Still hasn't beaten UK, UGA, CU, A&M and clipped UF once in a coach firing situation. (1-15 record).
- Clemson is averaging almost 50 points a game against us.
- Over 90% of our standout players were from the "Dumpster Fire" he inherited. (had same DF narrative at UF)
- Beaten one ranked team in 3 years.
- 6-27 versus ranked as a head coach
- BLANKED by UVA at Belk Bowl (Only 8 D1 Teams were shutout last year. LSU to Bama and 7 others you've likely never heard of)

I'd give the edge to Frank at this point.
He has the Martin excuse in 2013. A rash of injuries among the starters that even made the national sports news...including the top 3 QBs. Clemson in football since he has been here is equivalent to Bama...don't believe their basketball team is quite as menacing.

If Muschamp has two .500 years in a row after his 4th year, I'll call for his head on a platter. Six years is plenty of time for ANY coach to turn a program around and show progress.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Figure out the percentages of making the tournament just for the P-5 conference teams. Yes, there are more teams in Div. 1 basketball than football, but typically only one of those teams from the non-P5 conferences have a chance to make the tournament. I would guess that in a P-5 conference, a team has about the same chance of making it to the NCAA tournament as it does going to a bowl game.
Also we didnt even make the NIT, add in thoe 32 teams that made NCAA post season play..

Also we didnt even make the NIT, add in thoe 32 teams that made NCAA post season play..

What the team did or didn't achieve on the court this year or last year really doesn't concern me that much when thinking about if Frank Martin is a viable long term solution to lead this program going forward. What does concern me is that there have been 10 top 200 recruits from South Carolina during the past two recruiting cycles and 0 of them committed to South Carolina.

Now, if this was year 1 or 2, fine-- he needs more time. Or, if he was raiding other states for top 200 talent, fine-- basketball prospects are far more mobile than football, there is no faux protect the state mandate. But year 7 and 8, and not recruiting at a high level nationally or regionally, and he can't even bring in one or two of the top guys in the state over two recruiting cycles? It's a really bad sign.

Your comment that our run was a fluke doesnt have a damn thing to do with anything that followed.
I didn't say say the run was fluke us making the tournament was a fluke. Considering every team we played in the tournament made the tournament this year. We can't even make the nit.

He has the Martin excuse in 2013. A rash of injuries among the starters that even made the national sports news...including the top 3 QBs. Clemson in football since he has been here is equivalent to Bama...don't believe their basketball team is quite as menacing.

If Muschamp has two .500 years in a row after his 4th year, I'll call for his head on a platter. Six years is plenty of time for ANY coach to turn a program around and show progress.

Get what you're saying. Just can't believe we hired that guy in the first place.
Would hope we would have the foresight to move on like UF did after year 4 if trend continues. There's no reason to give him another 12mil just b/c Ryan Hilinski fell in his lap.

There are a lot of hot takes going around now that we’ve missed out on the tournament for the second consecutive season and have only made the big dance once since Martin took over in 2012. While the frustration from the Gamecock faithful is understandable, I think it’s gotten way out of hand. Here are some questions I have for y’all.

Where did you expect us to finish this season? Did we not overachieve in SEC play? Did anyone expect us to achieve a double bye in the tournament? Does anyone want to look at the preseason predictions?

Has Frank Martin not displayed an ability to develop players under his watch? Look at Chris Silva as a freshman compared to his play as a senior. How about Gravett who was borderline un-playable two years ago...while this year he was arguably our most clutch player. How about the massive leap PJ Dozier made from his freshman to sophomore season. How about Duane Notices or Justin McKies progression. What about the incredible development of Sindarius Thornwell? Are you guys just willing to overlook all of this?

Now let’s examine Frank Martins unfortunate luck the last few years. Are we not a completely different team last year if PJ Dozier comes back for his JR season? Is it Frank Martins fault that he did such a great job with the final four team that Dozier decided to capitalize on the run and enter the draft? How about the Felder suspension and eventual dismissal. Did these two completely unexpected developments not completely destroy the momentum we had just created? Then he adds Brian Bowen the next season who the NCAA eventually rules permanently ineligible and we still finish 4th in the SEC in spite of this. Oh and then there’s the AJ Lawson injury during the Bama game that killed our tournament hopes.

My final question is what do you guys want? Do you want the young charismatic coach whose going to tell parents what they want to hear but can’t coach a lick ala Bryce Drew? Do you want to hire a young up and comer from a small school ala Darren Horn? Do you just want someone whose easier on the players because of the generation we’re now a part of? It certainly can’t be wanting a guy that will take our program to new heights bc Frank Martin has already accomplished this.

I grew up on Duke basketball so I’d like to think I know a thing or two about college basketball. Frank Martin can flat out coach and gets the most out of his players. If you guys want to pretend you didn’t see flashes from Keyshawn Bryant and AJ Lawson this past season be my guest. If you want to pretend we didn’t overachieve this past season, again be my guest. If you want to oversimplify the situation and pretend it’s as simple as Frank Martin has only made the tournament once since he’s been here...again be my guest.

But we all know this isn’t true.
I'll answer you this way. Martins failure as a coach got us to where we shouldn't expect much according to your testament. That right there are core reasons Martin should be let go. We have given this man seven years to build a program we could be proud of instead of humiliated year after year There are no excuses, the man failed and should be fired if the school really desires to be legit basketball . If Tanner is not up to the task, fire him to. Hyman, the best bottom line AD we ever had would have already removed Martin. There are plenty of very good coaches out there who would love e chance to coach in the SEC, make over $1,000,000 per year, be able to hire good assistants who can recruit, respect our great fan base, love our facilities, be able to recruit some of the greatest talent in the country each year right here in SC. No other way to put it. We need to get off our asses and get us a program we can be proud of. Right now we are one of the biggest failures in the SEC .

I'll answer you this way. Martins failure as a coach got us to where we shouldn't expect much according to your testament. That right there are core reasons Martin should be let go. We have given this man seven years to build a program we could be proud of instead of humiliated year after year There are no excuses, the man failed and should be fired if the school really desires to be legit basketball . If Tanner is not up to the task, fire him to. Hyman, the best bottom line AD we ever had would have already removed Martin. There are plenty of very good coaches out there who would love e chance to coach in the SEC, make over $1,000,000 per year, be able to hire good assistants who can recruit, respect our great fan base, love our facilities, be able to recruit some of the greatest talent in the country each year right here in SC. No other way to put it. We need to get off our asses and get us a program we can be proud of. Right now we are one of the biggest failures in the SEC .
Now, THAT's a big NO, he wouldn't have. Remember the "Warchest of Credibility"? And he did no coaching searches....left that up to Fogler, which is how we ended up with Horn and Martin.

On and on the discussion goes with the same obvious remarks. Of course we need better players and we all how many times we have missed the dance but hey, that's not Frank Martin, that's the history of the program stop acting as if Frank Martin has destroyed something. We all want to win more games so we should search diligently day and night for that coach who could give us the assurance there will be no injuries or any other issues that could suppress our dubious drive for greatness. Give it a rest that enchanted skipper would still have to start over and there still ain't any givens. Show me the figures of any coach that matched what Frank has done at USC and I'll read them. Frank could quit tomorrow and I'd still sleep like a baby but our emotions concerning whole saga are clouding the facts. Right now Frank IS out best chance to get better the figures show it. JMHO

Frank is a complete paradox. He gets a lot out of his players but he can't get the top talent most likely because of his on-court treatment of players and overall demeanor.

Tom Izzo is a big story today because he was on camera giving one of his guys the full-on. If you watch the video, that's everyday Frank.

He also a tragic hero in his mind. There's some validity there, however as others have pointed out, you're getting 3mil a year - work it out.

Can we find a better replacement? Hard to say. Likely Ray quietly has his antenna up by now. Sure he knows it needs to go better than the FB hire debacle.

Personally hope he sticks around for another year. He's obviously got plenty of pride and sure he's embarrassed that we were shutout of post-season again. Potentially get his best from start to finish - find out if turns out to be enough.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Typically, the SEC puts in what? 4-6 teams into the tournament per year? How many SEC teams go to bowl game? as many as 10 or 11? That tells me you're at least twice as likely to make it to a bowl game than you are to make it to the NCAA tournament.

Frank is a complete paradox. He gets a lot out of his players but he can't get the top talent most likely because of his on-court treatment of players and overall demeanor.

Tom Izzo is a big story today because he was on camera giving one of his guys the full-on. If you watch the video, that's everyday Frank.

He also a tragic hero in his mind. There's some validity there, however as others have pointed out, you're getting 3mil a year - work it out.

Can we find a better replacement? Hard to say. Likely Ray quietly has his antenna up by now. Sure he knows it needs to go better than the FB hire debacle.

Personally hope he sticks around for another year. He's obviously got plenty of pride and sure he's embarrassed that we were shutout of post-season again. Potentially get his best from start to finish - find out if turns out to be enough.

Good post, I agree on all points. I think he deserves another year. But if we fail to make postseason again, or fail to land program-changing type recruits, I think you have to look at body of work and start questioning if it’s going to get done or not.

I like him and would love to see him succeed here. Some of my favorite memories of USC sports are the final four run. I think we’ve elevated to being a solid SEC team. But at the end of the day... I want to be competing for SEC titles (regular season or tournament) and consistently having a chance to make the Dance. I don’t think that’s unrealistic to expect.

Typically, the SEC puts in what? 4-6 teams into the tournament per year? How many SEC teams go to bowl game? as many as 10 or 11? That tells me you're at least twice as likely to make it to a bowl game than you are to make it to the NCAA tournament.
How many ACC teams go to the NCAA tourney versus the bowls? PAC-12? Big 10? Big 12?

You chose the SEC's strongest sport versus it's absolute weakest sport to compare.

I don't doubt that it is easier to qualify for a bowl game versus the NCAA, but it is not as difficult for a P-5 team as some are trying to make it. The odds are such that a team SHOULD make it more than once every 7/8 years.

The football team is expected to make a bowl game EVERY year, the baseball team is expected to make the NCAA regionals EVERY year and Omaha at least once every 3/4 years, the basketball team should have a higher standard than it does.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
How many ACC teams go to the NCAA tourney versus the bowls? PAC-12? Big 10? Big 12?

You chose the SEC's strongest sport versus it's absolute weakest sport to compare.

I don't doubt that it is easier to qualify for a bowl game versus the NCAA, but it is not as difficult for a P-5 team as some are trying to make it. The odds are such that a team SHOULD make it more than once every 7/8 years.

The football team is expected to make a bowl game EVERY year, the baseball team is expected to make the NCAA regionals EVERY year and Omaha at least once every 3/4 years, the basketball team should have a higher standard than it does.
I'm not saying that it shouldn't but comparing just going to a bowl game to making the NCAA tournament is not a fair comparison when all you have to do is be .500 to make it to a bowl game which is precisely where the basketball team has been the last 2 seasons. If Frank continues to churn out .500 basketball squads he won't be able to stay but we are not in a sky is falling type of situation here.

6/14 vs. 11/14 this year. There was a 43% chance to make the tournament in basketball and a 79% chance to make it to a bowl game.

Final 4 run was a fluke, but it only happened because they were placed in the right region.

Staley was able to build the women's program up why can't he? It starts with recruiting. You can't develop players if you don't have them. She was able to get the #1 player to stay home - Zion went 4 hours away. Why? There's got to be a reason he didn't stay home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT