ADVERTISEMENT

My questions for the Frank Martin should be gone people

Final 4 run was a fluke, but it only happened because they were placed in the right region.

Staley was able to build the women's program up why can't he? It starts with recruiting. You can't develop players if you don't have them. She was able to get the #1 player to stay home - Zion went 4 hours away. Why? There's got to be a reason he didn't stay home.

There are probably many reasons Zion went to Duke.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
There are probably many reasons Zion went to Duke.
Yes, but that is in fact the Problem. They need to WANT to come play for Coach Martin... Apparently they dont.. And dont say DUKE is top tier. In basketball, best team ever, etc etc unlike Football, 1 really amazing player can take you all the way. Hell a better than AVERAGE Thornwelll took SC to Final Four..

The thing is he surpassed everyone’s expectations two years ago and he certainly surpassed my expectations this season (and every college basketball analyst). I’ve come to the conclusion that if you don’t believe Frank Martin overachieved this season you either A)Don’t understand college basketball or B) You are lying to yourself about the situation.

Why were we in such a bad situation in year 7 where going 16-16 surpassed all expectations?

So "To the Point"...
giphy.gif

Yes, but that is in fact the Problem. They need to WANT to come play for Coach Martin... Apparently they dont.. And dont say DUKE is top tier. In basketball, best team ever, etc etc unlike Football, 1 really amazing player can take you all the way. Hell a better than AVERAGE Thornwelll took SC to Final Four..
False; they don't want to come play for South Carolina basketball. Not sexy enough. Coach Kwahtshisname could be the coach here and Zion STILL wouldn't have come.

Frank is a good coach. He can get the most out of his players, the problem is he can't consistently get enough good players on the squad to make a difference. I don't know if that's due to bad recruiting, or players just not wanting to play for him. However, when he does have decent recruiting classes, you can see what he does.

The four years recruiting prior to the Final Four (According to 247 Sports):

2013 - 5th rated in SEC (24th in nation) - this class had Thornwell, Notice and McKie
2014 - 8th in SEC
2015 - 7th in SEC
2016 - 11th in SEC (this starts the drop-off)

2017 Final Four!

The four years prior to last season:

2015 - 7th in SEC
2016 - 11th in SEC
2017 - 12th in SEC
2018 - 10th in SEC

And add in the latest class, and you have 4 straight bottom of conference recruiting classes and not a lot of hope for next season:

2019 - 12th in the SEC

Recruiting class rankings aren't definite, but when you're consistently at the top or bottom, the wins and losses seem to come accordingly.

Frank is a good coach. He can get the most out of his players, the problem is he can't consistently get enough good players on the squad to make a difference. I don't know if that's due to bad recruiting, or players just not wanting to play for him. However, when he does have decent recruiting classes, you can see what he does.

The four years recruiting prior to the Final Four (According to 247 Sports):

2013 - 5th rated in SEC (24th in nation) - this class had Thornwell, Notice and McKie
2014 - 8th in SEC
2015 - 7th in SEC
2016 - 11th in SEC (this starts the drop-off)

2017 Final Four!

The four years prior to last season:

2015 - 7th in SEC
2016 - 11th in SEC
2017 - 12th in SEC
2018 - 10th in SEC

And add in the latest class, and you have 4 straight bottom of conference recruiting classes and not a lot of hope for next season:

2019 - 12th in the SEC

Recruiting class rankings aren't definite, but when you're consistently at the top or bottom, the wins and losses seem to come accordingly.
IMO opinion, and it isnt much, but None of these young spoiled athletes want to come play for someone that berates them, especially that berates them in public.. But hey, that is just my opinion.. I KNOW I KNOW, you all will say his players "Love him" well, those players arent 4 and 5 star recruits..

Reactions: ddw1263
IMO opinion, and it isnt much, but None of these young spoiled athletes want to come play for someone that berates them, especially that berates them in public.. But hey, that is just my opinion.. I KNOW I KNOW, you all will say his players "Love him" well, those players arent 4 and 5 star recruits..

Hell have you seen the way Tom Izzo yells at his 4 and 5 star recruits? Rick Barnes full on shoved a player yesterday, the coach at Iowa is a known hothead and many others. This narrative has played out.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT