ADVERTISEMENT

National media seems heartbroken Florence weakened

The less cataclysmic the event, the harder it is to use it to puff the cause of climate change, formerly global warming.

indeed you are correct.. The media won't tell you the average intensity of hurricanes that made landfall in the 1930s and 40s category 3.2... The average the past 20 years is category 2.7!!!

Why don't you head to Wilmington tough guy. I bet you wouldn't be calling it a gnat fart.
Well I was referring to the prediction of my area which is a category 0 and they can't makeup their mind if I'm going to get flooding or what. Wilmington will see a category 2 according to the model but this thing is losing speed rapidly.

Puerto Rico was a catastrophe of corruption, mismanagement, incompetence and ignorance long before the added misery wrought by Hurricane Maria, which exposed to the world what was there to be seen all along: an island ill-prepared for a sunny day, much less a stormy one.

Good luck.

another curious quirk is the news reports from PR in the weeks following the storm reported less than 20 deaths.. Now some political group from Georgetown has done a computer model claiming 3000 people died during storm.. Guess what's now being reported as fact!!

Reactions: tl from little hell
but these are same folks who tell what the temperature will be 200 years from now.. They tells us if we submit to their communist taxes and regulations they can cool the earth by .03 degrees by the year 2100... I know they are full of shit!! My question is why does anyone believe them..

before someone says it! I believe in climate change!! I know earths climate is dynamic and been changing for 4.5billion years.. I also have the common sense to know taxation can't and won't stop it!! Cap and trade is the third biggest hoax of our lifetime!!
Absolutely.....Question for anyone....What can we actually do that will reverse human induced climate change that will be effective? We are not giving up plastics and going back to horse and buggies. Hmmm?

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
The media is definitely out of hand with blowing stories way out of proportion. It's gotten borderline pathetic.

I'm also a bit disappointed with SC government on this one. There was no reason to order mandatory evacuation for all coastal counties as early as Tuesday. 'Better safe than sorry' was the motto. NC has been facing the same or worse risks than SC with this storm...and waited until the picture was clearer before ordering more targeted and logical evacuations Ordering a million + people from their homes presents a new set of risks...in some cases, those risks exceed the risk of just staying put.

I'm in Charleston, and am typically among the first to leave when evacuation is ordered. Have gotten fed up with all the storm hoopla, and decided to wait and watch Florence. Right now, I am quite happy to be sitting in the comforts of my home rather than trying to figure out when I should start the long slog back home. And I now have another reason why I can't take the media or government at face value.

Puerto Rico was a catastrophe of corruption, mismanagement, incompetence and ignorance long before the added misery wrought by Hurricane Maria, which exposed to the world what was there to be seen all along: an island ill-prepared for a sunny day, much less a stormy one.

Good luck.

I have visited Puerto Rico a couple of times on business, my company at one time had six different plants on the Island. I can tell you that PR has wasted resources and American Financial Support to the point, much of what happened as a result of Maria was the fault of the Puerto Rician Government.

another curious quirk is the news reports from PR in the weeks following the storm reported less than 20 deaths.. Now some political group from Georgetown has done a computer model claiming 3000 people died during storm.. Guess what's now being reported as fact!!

What is being reported as fact? Just for curiosity.

Storms never quite live up to what they forecast it will be. They need ratings. That being said, a Category 2 is still very serious. What’s interesting to me is how they had it hovering over SC...showing eye over midlands Saturday evening at 8pm. Now, 12 hours later, it shows the eye in Georgia / NC, far west of Columbia at 8am Saturday. Fact is, decisions are difficult to make with these “experts” forecasting. Not saying they should be correct, but they also shouldn’t exaggerate and pretend to be so sure of what they forecast. Still going to be lots of damage, but do have a feeling this storm will pass, Saturday evening will be a decent night and, depending on damage in the rest of the state, the game could’ve been played. Not saying the right decision wasn’t made...I believe it was. But sometimes things turn out different.

Watch the camera they have on that big pier in NC. They are acting like it's a live feed but it isn't, they keep replaying the same 10 seconds over and over. Look real close. One big wave hit it and it rocked some, it took me several times of watching it and I was like "hmmm that wave looks the same as the one before.....wait a min that IS the same wave!"
This is live:

Storms never quite live up to what they forecast it will be. They need ratings. That being said, a Category 2 is still very serious. What’s interesting to me is how they had it hovering over SC...showing eye over midlands Saturday evening at 8pm. Now, 12 hours later, it shows the eye in Georgia / NC, far west of Columbia at 8am Saturday. Fact is, decisions are difficult to make with these “experts” forecasting. Not saying they should be correct, but they also shouldn’t exaggerate and pretend to be so sure of what they forecast. Still going to be lots of damage, but do have a feeling this storm will pass, Saturday evening will be a decent night and, depending on damage in the rest of the state, the game could’ve been played. Not saying the right decision wasn’t made...I believe it was. But sometimes things turn out different.

Yes, let's play a football game in this:

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=35.62;-80.10;6&l=rain-3h&t=20180916/00

but I guess by you saying "depending on the damage in the rest of the state.." you left yourself an out.

Exactly when are USC officials supposed to make that decision to play or not to play Saturday night based on your FEELING that it will be a decent night??

I was browsing for storm updates and almost puked as media storm pundits seemed depressed the storm has weakened.. I just don't get!! It's as if they root for apocalyptic storms.. Don't they know we are dealing with real lives and the emotional weight of losing homes and possesions!!!

The media get a hard on any time there is a disaster. This is their chance to get some “great video and interviews” and move up the ladder and show their dedication to their craft.

It’s sickening. And they wonder why the respect for the media is at an all time low.

They absolutely salivate at destruction and heartache/break. It sells. I immediately think of Don Henley's song "Dirty Laundry".

He nailed it with that song. It’s a lot worse today than it was in the 80s but yeah he nailed it

Reactions: 92Pony
The media get a hard on any time there is a disaster. This is their chance to get some “great video and interviews” and move up the ladder and show their dedication to their craft.

It’s sickening. And they wonder why the respect for the media is at an all time low.
I'm watching this thing right now and all the red is gone out of it. Little yellow left and the rest is green. And it's still 105 miles away! It's basically a thunderstorm now and by the time it gets to SC it'll be some afternoon shower. All this mas hysteria for an afternoon thunderstorm.

I remember how disappointed the national media was that Charleston didn't riot after the church shooting. Instead blacks and whites united. Media didn't know what to do with themselves.
Yeah if we don't get any deaths from this storm they'll be fit to be tied.

What they really love to do is put some poor downtrodden half literate person on screen to cry about everything they lost.
That's why they go batty over "everyone get out! Save yourselves! You're gonna die!" Then they come in and hunt around for someone that couldn't afford to leave and use them for a news story.

I'm watching this thing right now and all the red is gone out of it. Little yellow left and the rest is green. And it's still 105 miles away! It's basically a thunderstorm now and by the time it gets to SC it'll be some afternoon shower. All this mas hysteria for an afternoon thunderstorm.

An afternoon thunderstorm that is gonna dump 25" of rain in the low country.

Reactions: roosterbell
To be fair two days ago this storm was listed as a Cat 5. No one could have known that this storm would weaken in two days, if anything it would seem likely to maintain it's intensity.
Better to err on the side of caution.
That is not true. I'm no meteorologist by any stretch of the imagination, but I told my wife 2 days ago it would weaken. It is only common sense. These storms get their strength from warm ocean water temperatures. As it passed over the Gulf Stream it gained strength. As is clears the GS and gets closer to land, the water temps are lower. Therefore, it loses strength. Then when it hits land, it dies and becomes a TS. This is like Hurricanes 101.

They are claiming the storms killed 3000 people because some political group at Georgetown university did a computer model predicting deaths in the ensuing months!!! There were never 3000 bodies! Just a computer model!!!

Good God man at this point I don't know if you are really this dumb or just trolling.

That is not true. I'm no meteorologist by any stretch of the imagination, but I told my wife 2 days ago it would weaken. It is only common sense. These storms get their strength from warm ocean water temperatures. As it passed over the Gulf Stream it gained strength. As is clears the GS and gets closer to land, the water temps are lower. Therefore, it loses strength. Then when it hits land, it dies and becomes a TS. This is like Hurricanes 101.

Going by your theory a storm has never hit the U.S. as a hurricane.

So what I think I can conclude is that you are very lucky your wife is satisfied being married to a really dumb guy.

That's why they go batty over "everyone get out! Save yourselves! You're gonna die!" Then they come in and hunt around for someone that couldn't afford to leave and use them for a news story.

Just a question... have you ever worked in a newsroom? How do you know so much about how journalists operate?

Yeah if we don't get any deaths from this storm they'll be fit to be tied.

Every time there is a disaster, the local stations in my market do on-air telethons to raise money for people who have lost things. They hold clothing and food drives and do what they can to help people while also informing them. To say that they get upset when people don't die is irresponsible and downright wrong.

Reactions: roosterbell
Every time there is a disaster, the local stations in my market do on-air telethons to raise money for people who have lost things. They hold clothing and food drives and do what they can to help people while also informing them. To say that they get upset when people don't die is irresponsible and downright wrong.
I think he's being a little melodramatic. Just like the coverage for any hurricane has been.

Yes, people need to be aware of what's going on.

What we DON'T need is news broadcasters that aren't professionals on weather giving opinions and misleading information to the public.

This is nothing new given any ordinary events in the world. The media feeds off negativity and anything that will put eyes in front of the TV.

"We have discovered an every day household item is killing a child every day in this nation. Tune in at 10:00 PM to find out what it is"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT