ADVERTISEMENT

National media seems heartbroken Florence weakened

Wrong on who conducted the study
Wrong on how the study was conducted
1. It was George Washington University not Georgetown
2. The study was based by analyzing mortality via use of death certificates from 9/2017 thru 2/18. Then used a mathematical model to compare total number of deaths during that period against historical data patterns.

I'm all for a healthy debate, but not if it is going to stray into making up scenarios to fit a narrative

http://thehill.com/latino/406535-ge...rsity-stands-by-puerto-rican-death-toll-study
yeah right! It's still Horseshit fabrcation.... But thanks for your objective non politicized expertise on the validity of Puerto Rican death certificate studies...

I like the one that's always texting on her phone standing next to a fallen tree.

This thing will be in NY next Wednesday and the media will be like "don't let your guard down yet! It could swoop back down and kill us all!"
Next week the media will pull death certificates in the Carolinas and claim thousands of deaths having nothing to do with storm were caused by the storm!!! It's got be awful there is an election 6 weeks away!!

Based on ?? And please state facts not theroy
Dude please get over yourself I know what the media is.. If 3000 people died in those storms there would have been no death certificate studies.. CNN and the NYT would have sent teams down to arrange the bodies to spell Trump and fly planes overhead to show the world... I can go thru a cache of death certificates and claim graboids ate 3000 Puerto Rican s!!! As long as I blame Trump no-one in the media will look to refute it!! No way I can prove it!! But I would bet Puerto Rico can't find the birth certificates of the 18 or so people that actually did die in the storms

For some of those people that did not evacuate, they evacuated in the past and nothing happened. So now they do not believe the news channels who cried "wolf" too many times. The people that's going to be out of luck are those that are living down river from those hog lagoons. When they break, you cannot stop the $#\+ from rolling right over your property. Not complaining about the farmers though. I like pork, unless it's gov't pork.

Going by your theory a storm has never hit the U.S. as a hurricane.

So what I think I can conclude is that you are very lucky your wife is satisfied being married to a really dumb guy.

I have seen some pretty stupid posts on this forum over the years but yours is the stupidest. Perhaps a remedial course in reading comprehension would help you. Of course hurricanes hit the US. I never said otherwise. The issue is that they generally weaken in strength before they make landfall along the east coast above Florida. It is pretty predictable. Florence was a CAT 4 hurricane while over the Gulf Stream. When it made land fall it was a CAT 2. Surely, even a person with as limited an intellect as you knows that 4 is greater than 2.

Last edited:
If it's this simple, how do you explain Hurricane Hugo? It came ashore as a strong category 4 on a very similar path and situation as this storm.

That's a very simplistic explanation you've deduced out of something that in all actuality is extremely complex. Every storm is a little different. It's impossible to accurately predict any of them because even a slight change in conditions can radically effect what the storm does.

Glad you asked. Actually Hugo was a huge CAT 5 hurricane that weakened to a CAT 4 before making landfall which further illustrates my point. It probably would have weakened further except that it was traveling unusually fast - so fast that it was still a hurricane when it hit Charlotte almost 200 miles inland.

Also, this is what Peter Bowyer said in an article entitled "Storm Information" in 2004 in regard to Hurricane Hazel: "Hurricanes are generally expected to lose power after going north of Florida due to lower water temperatures, however, Hazel restrengthened as it tracked northward over the Gulf Stream."

Reactions: cockofdawn
Glad you asked. Actually Hugo was a huge CAT 5 hurricane that weakened to a CAT 4 before making landfall which further illustrates my point. It probably would have weakened further except that it was traveling unusually fast - so fast that it was still a hurricane when it hit Charlotte almost 200 miles inland.

Also, this is what Peter Bowyer said in an article entitled "Storm Information" in 2004 in regard to Hurricane Hazel: "Hurricanes are generally expected to lose power after going north of Florida due to lower water temperatures, however, Hazel restrengthened as it tracked northward over the Gulf Stream."
Hugo would have definitely weakened had it not been moving so quickly. I think that's probably the biggest difference between the two storms.

Had this stormed continued at it's 15 to 20 mph wnw coarse it would have easily held a high cat 3 to low cat 4 strength at landfall. A high pressure system ahead of it is what slowed it down and basically stalled it to this point. That's the main reason it lost a lot of its punch along with the other reasons you mentioned.

Either way it's still a huge mess but obviously could have been a heck of a lot worse.

Did anyone see the video of the Weather Channel guy acting like he could barely stand up while two people walking by in the background were walking along and their clothes weren't blowing and they weren't having near as much trouble as he was? They had their hands in their pockets like they were taking a stroll in the park.haha

parts of coastal north carolina were really walloped

hysterical broadcast media attention whores notwithstanding

the weather channel has more 'doctors' than many hospitals

good luck

Did anyone see the video of the Weather Channel guy acting like he could barely stand up while two people walking by in the background were walking along and their clothes weren't blowing and they weren't having near as much trouble as he was? They had their hands in their pockets like they were taking a stroll in the park.haha
I just came here to ask if you had seen that. He was so fake that even if the two people had not walked by, I would not have believed it.

Dude please get over yourself I know what the media is.. If 3000 people died in those storms there would have been no death certificate studies.. CNN and the NYT would have sent teams down to arrange the bodies to spell Trump and fly planes overhead to show the world... I can go thru a cache of death certificates and claim graboids ate 3000 Puerto Rican s!!! As long as I blame Trump no-one in the media will look to refute it!! No way I can prove it!! But I would bet Puerto Rico can't find the birth certificates of the 18 or so people that actually did die in the storms
Why so angry ?

Reactions: SCexpat38
Why so angry ?
by now, anyone who cares knows you are a product of that great bastion of objective thinking

your pride in your accomplishments is understandable

good luck with the loans

please keep us posted, as there is intense interest here in you and your alma mater

go cocks!

Why so angry ?

That, in a nutshell, is the question. And it's a good one.

I've been reading this thread and wondering what in the hell is wrong with some folks. A storm 500 miles wide comes spinning into the neighborhood and is projected to do cataclysmic damage, and reporters do what they're supposed to do -- which is report.

"Hey folks everything everybody has is saying this is a big ass storm. It could kill your ass. Better pay attention. Do what you need to do. Get out of Dodge."

And then, when it doesn't deliver on quite the scale the peanut gallery expected, well, it's the damn medias fault for overhyping it.

Never mind that five people have died so far.

Never mind that it close to a million people are without power so far, and more are in the path.
Including people in my family.

Never mind that first responders are being put at risk as I type this.

This stuff kills people. What is the media supposed to do. Pretend it's not out there?

Offer a disclaimer before every broadcast -- "you might have a better forecast, but here's what we've got so far? Go consult your superior knowledge or your messageboard yogis before deciding what to do?"

Seems to me, there's a simple solution for those who think the media is overhyping this storm or any other.

Turn the channel. Read a book. Go for a walk.

I live outside Savannah. Went seemingly forever without getting hit too hard by storms (Floyd was last big scare I remember, and before that Hugo) then got Matthew in 2016 and Irma in 2017. Trees down first time, house flooded last year. It was a pain in the ass, but we were lucky.

And we kept an eye on this one, and did what we had to do just in case.

I'm grateful Florence hasn't yet caused my neck of the woods misery and probably won't outside maybe some rain, which we need, and a little wind, which we don't.

Ah well. I'm tired. All you out there in harms way tonight, be safe.

Go Gamecocks.

It just seems that with all the technology we have nowadays that storm predicting should be as accurate as ever. Nothing is perfect but they have missed many storms lately. Why? Because it's not about weather anymore it's about who can put on the best act and be more dramatic.

I've been reading this thread and wondering what in the hell is wrong with some folks. A storm 500 miles wide comes spinning into the neighborhood and is projected to do cataclysmic damage, and reporters do what they're supposed to do -- which is report.

"Hey folks everything everybody has is saying this is a big ass storm. It could kill your ass. Better pay attention. Do what you need to do. Get out of Dodge."

And then, when it doesn't deliver on quite the scale the peanut gallery expected, well, it's the damn medias fault for overhyping it.

Never mind that it close to a million people are without power so far, and more are in the path.

This stuff kills people. What is the media supposed to do. Pretend it's not out there?

Offer a disclaimer before every broadcast -- "you might have a better forecast, but here's what we've got so far? Go consult your superior knowledge or your messageboard yogis before deciding what to do?"

Seems to me, there's a simple solution for those who think the media is overhyping this storm or any other.

I live outside Savannah. Went seemingly forever without getting hit too hard by storms (Floyd was last big scare I remember, and before that Hugo) then got Matthew in 2016 and Irma in 2017. Trees down first time, house flooded last year. It was a pain in the ass, but we were lucky.

I'm grateful Florence hasn't yet caused my neck of the woods misery and probably won't outside maybe some rain, which we need, and a little wind, which we don't.

Go Gamecocks.
nice lecture

all the best

go cocks!

Go Gamecocks.

Great points and I understand and no doubt it’s tragic to hear about the fatalities on the coast. No doubt that’s the main concern.

I think people’s frustration with the media’s reporting on the storm is that it is difficult to know what to do. Perhaps more people would evacuate if media didn’t exaggerate every storm whether it be hurricane or snow. Personally that’s why my family chose to ride out Irma last year, and we were right, though these storms always cause significant damage.

The video below is a great example of exaggeration. Just report the truth so people can make decisions based on facts, not hype. I just think these types of things are irresponsible. He can barely stand up but the guys 40 feet away have no problems walking perfectly normal.

(Didn’t realize Chucktown had posted earlier)

Having said that, you are correct. The story of the mother and 8 month old baby is heartbreaking. Know the father is in the hospital but can’t imagine what he will endure moving forward.

Last edited:
It just seems that with all the technology we have nowadays that storm predicting should be as accurate as ever. Nothing is perfect but they have missed many storms lately. Why? Because it's not about weather anymore it's about who can put on the best act and be more dramatic.
The forecast was off on the category of hurricane strength winds and the timeline of the storm was likely altered many times. It seems the forecast are accurate with the path of the storm and the likelihood of a major flooding event. Even though the storm approached the coast as a category one or two that appears not to be highly severe, but winds from a category one or two hurricane could easily snap pine trees depending on the height and width of the tree.

I was in South Carolina in 1978 when they had an ice storm and pine trees did not hold up to well and that was about the only tree that formed debris on the roads.

Great points and I understand and no doubt it’s tragic to hear about the fatalities on the coast. No doubt that’s the main concern.

I think people’s frustration with the media’s reporting on the storm is that it is difficult to know what to do. Perhaps more people would evacuate if media didn’t exaggerate every storm whether it be hurricane or snow. Personally that’s why my family chose to ride out Irma last year, and we were right, though these storms always cause significant damage.

The video below is a great example of exaggeration. Just report the truth so people can make decisions based on facts, not hype. I just think these types of things are irresponsible. He can barely stand up but the guys 40 feet away have no problems walking perfectly normal.

Having said that, you are correct. The story of the mother and 8 month old baby is heartbreaking. Know the father is in the hospital but can’t imagine what he will endure moving forward.
i will admit that the video does not look natural for the broadcaster compared to the others in the video.

Time to move our power lines underground where possible
Should already be doing this. Lost power a few weeks ago for 24 hrs and when Duke sent me an email asking how did they do that was what I suggested. Have never heard of Duke even considering this. Power lines are unsightly to begin with.
Just a little wind here in Lancaster with just a little rain.

I don't know if that's the answer... I live in a neighborhood where our power lines are underground, and yet we still lose power during big storms...

I have flashlights, a gas grill, water and plenty of blankets and I make it feel like a camp out in the woods with a comfortable bed...

Really don't miss those days of camping out with the Boy Scouts... Uncomfortable cots, ticks, and etc....

The predicting of a storms path and the reporting on it are from two different entities.
I can't answer your question as to why the predictions are not as accurate as we all would like. Although I would think with so many variables that can change dramatically within hours add a degree of unpredictably
Perhaps someone who is well versed on this subject can give a in depth explanation.

Should already be doing this. Lost power a few weeks ago for 24 hrs and when Duke sent me an email asking how did they do that was what I suggested. Have never heard of Duke even considering this. Power lines are unsightly to begin with.
Just a little wind here in Lancaster with just a little rain.
Power flickering on my side of town but so far hanging in. I'm on Duke as well.

I don't know if that's the answer... I live in a neighborhood where our power lines are underground, and yet we still lose power during big storms...

I have flashlights, a gas grill, water and plenty of blankets and I make it feel like a camp out in the woods with a comfortable bed...

Really don't miss those days of camping out with the Boy Scouts... Uncomfortable cots, ticks, and etc....
Even though your neighborhood has buried cables at some point the feed is coming from aerial cables and that is most likely where the outage occurs.

Even though your neighborhood has buried cables at some point the feed is coming from aerial cables and that is most likely where the outage occurs.
Every new installation should be underground. Eventually you get most of the infrastructure converted. In the very long run - all of it gets changed out.

Unfortunately the cost of buried vs aerial placement of cables is a major consideration so the utility companies will defer to aerial. Most builders of neighborhoods request buried placement to enhance the price of the properties, but there is a cost which is then passed on to the price of the home.

overblown hype.. I leave it at that.. Myrtle beach has had worse summer rains that we tried playing golf in... However lets pray the flooding isnt as bad as they are saying, just like this storm of 100+ years" wasnt..

overblown hype.. I leave it at that.. Myrtle beach has had worse summer rains that we tried playing golf in... However lets pray the flooding isnt as bad as they are saying, just like this storm of 100+ years" wasnt..
They're desperately trying to save face and keep you scared. Now it's "don't go outside! Lightning! Could be a tornado!" and I'm looking outside thinking "ummmm ok!".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT