ADVERTISEMENT

New ICE rule will ‘devastate’ USC, global students, and hurt economy, experts say

Some people have the misguided notion that America First means America Only.
Not me. Nothing wrong with wanting America to be the best. I try and be my best everyday. I expect the same from my country. That is why so many others want to come here - for education or other reasons.

It is not a new rule just a rule that is much more impactful due to the situation. In most years, it is not an issue because these students have on campus classes, internships, etc.

1. I am sure it is disappointing for all those impacted. The pandemic has impacted many folks negatively.
2. Rules are in place for a reason. If this is so bad of a rule, Congress can enact legislation to change it. Or,
3. Schools can open on campus Classes and thereby negating the rule enforcement.

I think the opposite about #2.
If congress wants this to happen, they should say so.

In this case, it’s the executive branch making the decision from the “administrative state” which conservatives absolutely hate and rail against except - when they do it themselves. Heck, Kavenaugh talked about this very thing in his confirmation hearing- that he did not like this was one reasons he was nominated. Now the executive branch is just changing the rule themselves.

I think the opposite about #2.
If congress wants this to happen, they should say so.

In this case, it’s the executive branch making the decision from the “administrative state” which conservatives absolutely hate and rail against except - when they do it themselves. Heck, Kavenaugh talked about this very thing in his confirmation hearing- that he did not like this was one reasons he was nominated. Now the executive branch is just changing the rule themselves.
They didn’t change anything. Just made people AWARE of the EXISTING rule. Could Trump issue an Executive Order relaxing the rule in light of the pandemic? I assume he could. But, they didn’t add the rule. It has been a rule for years,

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
I know of no one who thinks that or who has assumed that. Most legal Americans just don't want to pay their hard earned money to be the piggyback to the rest of the world.

I agree. I should have explained myself better. Just because someone believes in America First, it doesn't mean they believe in America Only.

They didn’t change anything. Just made people AWARE of the EXISTING rule. Could Trump issue an Executive Order relaxing the rule in light of the pandemic? I assume he could. But, they didn’t add the rule. It has been a rule for years,

They are publishing a temporary final rule in the federal register without input from Congress. That’s exactly what conservatives have railed against for years calling it the “administrative state.”

if they aren’t changing anything, there would be no need to publish it in the federal register.

administrators at ICE changed their policy and are publishing it as a temporary rule.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
If nothing else, maybe this will open some room for more South Carolina kids to be able to attend the university. And others like it. Very competitive to get into ones own state university this day and time as all of them seem to see just how many out of state, and foreign, students they can get in school in the money grab for their higher tuition rates. And as a country, we educate the foreigners for that cash at the expense of our own. Sometimes even our enemies. Then they take the education we provide and go back home without any benefit of our tax dollar supported education benefitting us.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
What sort of visa do they have? Can they just get a job and take the semester off? Subordinate work in your field of study wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Quite a few people rightfully getting fired for this stuff recently

Woman fired for yelling 'white lives are better' at Black Lives Matter protesters

“White lives are better, white lives matter,” she continued as she raised her hands in the air.

“She started screaming everything that she did and telling me that, I’m just a poor little black girl with a messed up mind that, we should have been kept as slaves and all these things.“

Moments after, a white man was also captured saying alongside Holt, “We should’ve kept you [expletive] slaves, that’s what we should’ve done.”

https://apple.news/Ag4TlcJSTT1awL2ZXyefTdA

Why in the world would these students want to attend school in such a racist place as America? It hates them, according to you RollerDude. So that means that high percentages of the student body hates them too. I wouldnt want to have to deal with a bunch of racists and bigots. I would prefer to go home.o_O

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
If nothing else, maybe this will open some room for more South Carolina kids to be able to attend the university. And others like it. Very competitive to get into ones own state university this day and time as all of them seem to see just how many out of state, and foreign, students they can get in school in the money grab for their higher tuition rates. And as a country, we educate the foreigners for that cash at the expense of our own. Sometimes even our enemies. Then they take the education we provide and go back home without any benefit of our tax dollar supported education benefitting us.

this is the EXACT wrong way to look at things from my perspective.

1). It Likely won’t open up more room for South Carolina kids. public universities Thrive by having a large group of students from various states and countries. Money is a big part of it, but many incoming students seek out universities because they have wide demographic diversity. It’s a benefit to the school.

2). Many international students are highly sought after because of academic achievement and many have an interest in science, engineering, and math. That benefits the school in many ways, including In obtaining lucrative competitive grants, as well as partaking in research that the school can benefit from.

3) hundreds of thousands of American students study overseas each semester. Why we want to risk American students being denied those opportunities for political, retaliation purposes Is really stupid.

4) schools benefit greatly from the money of out of state and International students. South Carolina citizens have proven many times that we don’t value using tax money for higher education. So unless a school just dwindles and dies, they have to seek out that money from those willing to pay a higher price for it. Out of state and international students are willing to pay that price.

Last edited:
Why in the world would these students want to attend school in such a racist place as America? It hates them, according to you RollerDude. So that means that high percentages of the student body hates them too. I wouldnt want to have to deal with a bunch of racists and bigots. I would prefer to go home.o_O

A university community, especially USC, is much more liberal than South Carolina as a whole. As a result, I doubt many international students feel like the university hates them because of racism since that same university works hard to seek them out. There are many campus organizations that seek to work with international students in a variety of ways. One step on USC’s campus quickly reveals it’s not nearly as conservative as South Carolina.

but with needless moves like this, I’m sure many have good reason to think the trump Administration does.

another stupid federal decision

Issy Rushton had always dreamed of becoming an American college student. Ever since she was 15 and traveled to the states from her native country of Australia for a study abroad trip, she was hooked.

She began classes at the University of South Carolina in 2017 and prospered, becoming the first international student body president in the school’s history. Now a rising senior, she’s just a week away from taking the LSAT to set her up for law school.

Now, through no fault of her own, that dream — and the dreams of other international students who have come to America to study — has come into question.

Monday, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement announced that all international students who are not taking in-person classes must either transfer schools or return to their home countries.

For example, should the ICE rule cause international students to leave, it would upend the practice of having graduate students help teach classes, especially if USC needs to go online-only in the middle of the semester and international students are forced to leave, Mueller said.

“Their teaching capacity (would be) inhibited, and we can’t function with them leaving in the middle of the semester,” Mueller said.

The rule would be “devastating to the individual and devastating to the institution,” Mueller said.

Should the ICE rule push away international students, it would be salt on a financial wound colleges have incurred during the coronavirus pandemic, as S.C. colleges have been increasingly leaning on international students to bolster enrollment.

“It’s all very stressful,” Rushton told The State.

The rule will be “devastating” to not only students, but the institutions that house them, said Agnes Mueller, the director of USC’s Global Studies program.

More at

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article244046932.html
FWIW...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/harvard-mit-sue-ice-foreign-students-online

So who exactly is up in arms over this? Has anyone asked the students affected? Seems most should happily want to return to their country if all the work can be done online.

There's huge complications that come with students just "returning home", wherever that may be. Chief among them is time zone differences that would greatly deteriorate quality of life, possible lack of quality Internet, or returning to unsafe situations. There's absolutely 0 reason not to let them stay in the United States.

If they went home how would time zone differences “deteriorate their quality of life”? Not our problem.

Lack of quality internet at home? Not our problem.

Returning to unsafe situations? Again, not our problem.

Sound harsh? Not really. If students aren’t allowed on campus and they have to do online learning, what difference does it make if the student is from Australia, New Jersey, or France?

We have elementary, middle, high school, and college kids here who don’t have quality internet at home. Why are we worried about quality internet in a different country? They’d have to figure it out, just like our kids do.

Unsafe conditions in a different country? We have kids and young adults here living in unsafe conditions. Who do we prioritize?

Online class is online class, doesn’t matter if you’re doing your work at home in Texas, in a Starbucks in Pittsburgh, or an Internet cafe in Melbourne.

another stupid federal decision

Issy Rushton had always dreamed of becoming an American college student. Ever since she was 15 and traveled to the states from her native country of Australia for a study abroad trip, she was hooked.

She began classes at the University of South Carolina in 2017 and prospered, becoming the first international student body president in the school’s history. Now a rising senior, she’s just a week away from taking the LSAT to set her up for law school.

Now, through no fault of her own, that dream — and the dreams of other international students who have come to America to study — has come into question.

Monday, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement announced that all international students who are not taking in-person classes must either transfer schools or return to their home countries.

For example, should the ICE rule cause international students to leave, it would upend the practice of having graduate students help teach classes, especially if USC needs to go online-only in the middle of the semester and international students are forced to leave, Mueller said.

“Their teaching capacity (would be) inhibited, and we can’t function with them leaving in the middle of the semester,” Mueller said.

The rule would be “devastating to the individual and devastating to the institution,” Mueller said.

Should the ICE rule push away international students, it would be salt on a financial wound colleges have incurred during the coronavirus pandemic, as S.C. colleges have been increasingly leaning on international students to bolster enrollment.

“It’s all very stressful,” Rushton told The State.

The rule will be “devastating” to not only students, but the institutions that house them, said Agnes Mueller, the director of USC’s Global Studies program.

More at

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article244046932.html
This is a sports board. Take your political bullshit somewhere else.

We closed the economy in the name of public health.

Even more interesting. My perception is that the closing of the economy was directly relative to the "name of public health", and therefore NOT mutually exclusive to one another. Please explain.....

Even more interesting. My perception is that the closing of the economy was directly relative to the "name of public health", and therefore NOT mutually exclusive to one another. Please explain.....
Commerce down, health up. Inversely related.

Nah, its another attempt to inject your political ramblings.

Nah, it’s shedding light on a major breaking news story that directly impacts my alma mater and my sophomore student. Non-sports topics that impact USC are discussed here all the time and have been for over a decade. Nothing new about it.

Commerce down, health up. Inversely related.

Hmm. Those are not relationships. The resulting events are effects of the same causation. Which is obviously relative to each other.

The effect of "commerce down" is the result of the causation of closing the economy.

The effect of "health up" is also the result of the causation of closing the economy.

The relationship that ties both results to closing the economy, therefore ties the effect of "in the name of public health" with "closing the economy". That effects of a cause may be inverse to each other, does not by that fact remove the relationship of the cause to either effect.

What do you think?

This is only an incentive to open up schools. It will work

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT