ADVERTISEMENT

Not that it really matter . But this is the dumbest call ever

Burch did play Rb in hs. It seems more likely a scenario of a coaching staff in over their heads at the current moment.

Imo, it's a classic example of over thinking it, or "outsmarting yourself".

It's the jumbo package, a DL running the ball. Others do it. But the mistake was thinking that would suck up the defense for an easy lob pass.

Don't ask too much of your DL with the ball in his hands.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Would of been a good play if it had worked. Like all of them. But it didn’t. It had no chance with that coverage. What I don’t understand is why it was run to the short side of the field. I guess because that side was to the throwing hand of the passer. So, a bad play results.
I disagree with the results-oriented grading of “good decision/bad decision.”
It’s a bad decision to stick your face into a nest full of wasps for the potential $50 your drunk buddy will give you if no wasps sting you.
It’s a bad decision to 5-bet shoves 72 off suit preflop against the tightest player at the table. Yeah, you’ll win maybe 14% of the time, but those rare wins don’t make it a good decision.

It was Burch. Beamer said they had been practicing that play to use for a going for two scenario.
I watched both Beamers and Doty’s post game interview,IMO,they kinda both go against one another.one says they been practicing all week and the other a couple of times if I remember correctly.I could be wrong without going back and watching.

The main point is being missed. You only call that play when you have little faith in your team to score down there. That does not justify the call; rather it proves an unpleasant point that it's going to be awhile before we are competitive.

With the RB stable we have I cannot understand why this? Maybe this will teach a lesson to our inexperienced coaches that they will never forget.
Unfortunately the dumb play calls seem to be persistent each and every week on offense. I understand things are a work in progress and there have been some encouraging signs. However, some of these decisions and play calls really make you scratch your head.

Reactions: rogue cock
The worst thing about this is that it was predetermined to be called inside the 5 come hell or high water. That's asinine. There's a huge difference in the 1 yard line and the 5 yard line. No consideration to the situation, yardage, flow, running game success or failure, which plays had been successful, etc...nope. We are running this play. That's amateur hour.

He had two guys blocking in front of him, and one player between him and the goal line. Wish he woulda taken that shot! Burch is a big ole guy who can run! I bet he could lean into the end zone through one tackler.
Oh well.

With the RB stable we have I cannot understand why this? Maybe this will teach a lesson to our inexperienced coaches that they will never forget.
Have you seen our lack of running game this year?

I’m honestly impressed people think we can just control the line of scrimmage.

That was a stupid ass play call, even if it had worked.
THIS. We'd just run the ball down the field consistently on them. Should have lined up under center and ran it 4 times. Stuff the ball into either Harris's or McDowell's gut and tell the keep their feet moving forward. I was pretty much done with the game at that moment.

My biggest problem with this is it didn't work. If that pass is to the outside instead of inside, it's 6 points. Muse had a step, but it was a tight window. Burch, not being a QB, didn't put the ball where it needed to be, and that was what made it a bad play call. If Doty throws that pass, we score. So bad play call to take the ball out of your playmakers' hands when they were working for a change.

Total momentum killer and confidence breaker.

Reactions: chief2791
THIS. We'd just run the ball down the field consistently on them. Should have lined up under center and ran it 4 times. Stuff the ball into either Harris's or McDowell's gut and tell the keep their feet moving forward. I was pretty much done with the game at that moment.
Yep, this is where you put Trai Jones at FB, and hand the ball to Harris 4 times.

Lloyd's reaction after that abortion of 2 plays was exactly what my reaction was.

Heck had Dak read it right and given the ball to Lloyd he would’ve had the TD and no need for the Burch debacle.
This staff and the last one want Dak to do something so badly and he simply doesn't have "it". I mean, he must just be a practice monster. If you want to win SEC football games you need to get him off the field.

Reactions: chief2791
This staff and the last one want Dak to do something so badly and he simply doesn't have "it". I mean, he must just be a practice monster. If you want to win SEC football games you need to get him off the field.
If you want deception on that play, let Dak take the snap and hand it off to Harris. Everybody in the stadium including the entire Tennessee defense knew Dak would run the ball. He does every time he takes the snap.

If you want deception on that play, let Dak take the snap and hand it off to Harris. Everybody in the stadium including the entire Tennessee defense knew Dak would run the ball. He does every time he takes the snap.
But some people think he's a QB. 😉 Not only can he not pass well, he doesn't read on the read run option.

Last edited:
Reactions: roosterbell
When you hire a coach that has never been a coach nor an OC or DC then this is what you get. Our admin is all in on this guy and knew he would make some freshman mistakes albeit this one is painful. We will be going forward with our new coach come hell or high water for years to come. Our admin knew we were giving the keys to a kid, experience wise, but cratered to the wishes of our past players, aka Tanner. It is now time for our past players to come forth and support him in his time of need. In the meantime we must temper action with wisdom and hope the training wheels come off soon. Its time for him to put away his crayons and start lighting a fire under some of our players. Vann going offsides in that first series made my head explode. A SENIOR!!!!. At least our coaches can claim we won the second half.

Reactions: Dr. Curmudgeon
How do you blame Burch? He’s a defensive end for gods sake. It was a terrible play call (actually 1st down as well) and should have never happened. Why not throw Parker White in there or a punter or you can just do what you did the entire drive? How hard is this? Seriously? I think it’s harder to come up with these two plays than it is to call the plays that probably would have scored. This is the dumbest poorly coached football I have ever watched. It’s not the players!!!
Burch played running back at Hammond quite often. He probably should have lowered his head and tried to ram it in. Throwing, not good decision.

Reactions: TheReelEss
I haven’t read all 77 comments so this may have been discussed already.

I was at the beach and didn’t get to the house until into the second quarter. I’m retired and at home today watching my recording; if you want to blame someone, don’t blame the staff or coaches; blame Dakeron Joyner for the cluster fork in the second down play. Never mind, I change my mind; blame the staff for the third down interception, but also for putting Joyner in to do ANYTHING. WHY they keep doing this is beyond me.

First down, Harris took it to the 1 from the 4 with Doty at quarterback.

Second down, we brought in Joyner, Lloyd, Muse, and Bell in the backfield, with Joyner at quarterback. He fakes a handoff to Lloyd who probably would have been stopped prior to the end zone, then Joyner moves left like Burch did on the next play. The difference in this one though is that Tennessee completely bites on Joyner and ignore Muse and Bell who both are completely uncovered in the end zone, desperately waving for Joyner; piece of cake touchdown. Joyner doesn’t look at them, tries to take it in himself through FOUR FRIGGIN DEFENDERS, and gets bone sawed.

Of course the third down play was dumb as possible as well. Saints preserve us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT