ADVERTISEMENT

Numbers

Rod Dangerfield

Jan 12, 2010
Sparky Woods won 20% of his games against Tillman & 67% of his games against UGa.

Fat Bradstard won 40% of his games against Tillman, 20% of his games against UGa, & 60% of his games against KY.

Muschamp...............................................................

Reactions: jonesz21
Sparky Woods won 20% of his games against Tillman & 67% of his games against UGa.

Fat Bradstard won 40% of his games against Tillman, 20% of his games against UGa, & 60% of his games against KY.

He has never won a big game we beat a mich team that beat no one and we think that’s a good win.

Back the brinks truck up to Tcu. Hire their entire staff and let’s move on

Reactions: Gamecockben1979

Good GOD man....don't bring up the actual numbers. Raw math. There's one thing about math that's a biaaaatch.......math don't lie. The math is CLEARLY saying > Chump can't coach an overall program.

To be fair to math, KY jelly didn't score a single point in the 2nd half. Champ = pack your bags. You are not it.

Reactions: drawplay000
He has never won a big game we beat a mich team that beat no one and we think that’s a good win.

You might be missing the Herman/Smart point. Great YOUNG coaches (< 50 y.o.) do not want to coach here. It's an unfortunate truth.

You might be missing the Herman/Smart point. Great YOUNG coaches (< 50 y.o.) do not want to coach here. It's an unfortunate truth.
Well, if Ga had not shown Richt the door, I’ll almost guarantee you that Smart would have taken the job. We forced Ga’s hand with Smart. And unlike Herman, I don’t think Smart was using us...it just worked that way for him.

Well, if Ga had not shown Richt the door, I’ll almost guarantee you that Smart would have taken the job. We forced Ga’s hand with Smart. And unlike Herman, I don’t think Smart was using us...it just worked that way for him.
Yep and Smart wasn’t a proven failure as head coach

Pay them Dabo money and yes they will. We always try to go cheap. Be the highest offer and things change quickly

Pay them Dabo money and yes they will. We always try to go cheap. Be the highest offer and things change quickly

For god's sakes, it's not so simple. Maybe it is when you are hiring an older guy (Spurrier, Holtz) who made their bones somewhere else and are perfectly happy to try things out for a big paycheck.

But a younger guy who hasn't had significant success somewhere has to evaluate things beyond just dollar signs.

He has to look at the kind of player he can reasonably expect to sign, compared to teams on his schedule.

And as I've pointed out many times, we are usually top 20 in recruiting, often even top 15.

And we perennially finish anywhere from 6th to 8th in SEC recruiting rankings. And Muschamp doesn't seem to be doing any better than Spurrier or Holtz at this, based both on rankings and what his guys actually do when they do make it on the field.

For god's sakes, it's not so simple. Maybe it is when you are hiring an older guy (Spurrier, Holtz) who made their bones somewhere else and are perfectly happy to try things out for a big paycheck.

But a younger guy who hasn't had significant success somewhere has to evaluate things beyond just dollar signs.

He has to look at the kind of player he can reasonably expect to sign, compared to teams on his schedule.

And as I've pointed out many times, we are usually top 20 in recruiting, often even top 15.

And we perennially finish anywhere from 6th to 8th in SEC recruiting rankings. And Muschamp doesn't seem to be doing any better than Spurrier or Holtz at this, based both on rankings and what his guys actually do when they do make it on the field.

Muschamp needs to get over his fear of hiring proven assistants. He scared one might take his job? OC promotion and bringing Roper to begin with was and is
Urban leaving Utah to go to fla was a huge step up. Big diff there.

Point is these coaches aren’t as attached to a geographical area as they are the dollar that’s a myth

Let's see. Texas or Sc. Georgia or SC ..easy choices

Again, it's not so simple.

If I personally were a young coach, like say Kirby Smart was before before Georgia hired him, I'm not sure I'd consider South Carolina at all.

I'd take a job like NC State, Virginia Tech, any of a number of similar schools from other conferences. Not because I think I'd be more likely to win a national championship or something there.

But quite simply this: Whatever the ups and downs of coaching, right now we have Georgia, Florida, and A&M on our schedule permanently. Tennessee is a dumpster fire now, but the players are in Middle Tennessee now. I keep telling people it is getting close to Louisiana level of player production, and about the same as the whole state of Alabama, but no one is listening. Then we have Clemson.

Tell me something, the situation really isn't that much different from other non-blue blood teams in the SEC. Well except that our rival is outside of conference, and takes up one of those easy wins schools like MSU can schedule every year. Oh yeah, and they have been in the playoff the past three years, and won it once.

And honestly we got one of the worst potential matchups from the West (assuming A&M ever does find a coach who can produce like Smart).

So you are a young, crackerjack coach. You look at this schedule and see, given a quality coach, that you have no less than four, probably five teams on it that could reasonably expect to make the 4 team playoff.

Not touching that with a ten foot pole.

I'm not sure Herman would have come no matter what the pay. Same with Smart. They both knew where they wanted to go and went there - not because of the pay.

Agreed.

Reactions: drawplay000

Yep, those two programs haven't changed at all since those days.

I'm not sure Herman would have come no matter what the pay. Same with Smart. They both knew where they wanted to go and went there - not because of the pay.
The moment Herman learned the UT job was probably coming available, we were toast. He held out for the BBD. If UGA hadn't fired Richt to get Smart, we would've had him.

Point is you have to get the right guy regardless of the money. Alabama went through a few before Saban and no the didn’t win just because it was Bama it took Saban

Cash lured him
Sure, okay.

He knew what being at a big name school meant. He was fairly mediocre, above average at best, at Michigan State before he took the job at LSU that launched his success. He knew exactly what a big name school can be turned into....and you don't get much bigger than Bama.

Last edited:
Muschamp needs to get over his fear of hiring proven assistants. He scared one might take his job? OC promotion and bringing Roper to begin with was and is

Point is these coaches aren’t as attached to a geographical area as they are the dollar that’s a myth

Maybe it isn't Muschamp. It wasn't until after Joker had been fired that I learned that he had been seriously handcuffed by what he could spend on a staff.

Reactions: jonesz21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT