ADVERTISEMENT

Observations of Saturdays game after rewatching....

MTsumner92

Jul 31, 2005
1. Shi Smith should of caught the ball that turned into a TD for the other team. Yes, the throw wasn't perfect. Just sayin.
2. Shi Smith has a mouth that is going to lose a game for us this season. Discipline. Coach needs to lock that down.
3. Enagbare....see number 2. Enagbare played like a stud though. Glad to see.
4. Our offensive tackles, even Wonnum, struggled at pass blocking. We put a true freshman in at offensive tackle and he played like a true freshman(duh). This was a big mistake that I cannot look the other way on. What was Wolford thinking when he had Nichols, Moore, and Turentine on the bench? Stupid!!!!! I do not like platooning offensive tackles. Pick one and get them plenty of reps. I think this is why they are moving Wonnum back to his natural right tackle spot. He does ok pass blocking from there. At least that is one side that is fixed. We need to get the TE involved in helping the other side by chipping the DE.
5. Run support from our safeties was awful. Are we really having this problem?
6. Muse is a great pass catching TE. He needs to learn how to finish blocks. You can't make an NFL team if you can't finish blocks.
7. Our screen game was awful.
8. Hill had some good and bad moments. Rocket arm NO DOUBT. Jury is still out on him. 2nd and 4th quarter dry patches concern me. He needs to be introduced to the other receivers. Get to know them.
9. Bunch needs more snaps. He needs to be in every third down pass situation.
10. Our running backs are better than I thought. Were ok for now.
11. Cam is a redshirt freshman that is going to have plenty of attention in practice this week. We need you Cam. We need you now!
12. Losing Israel hurt. Cost us a touchdown.
13. Punt return team will get a lot of attention this week.
14. Tennessees offensive line did a great job hiding their holding. I could definitely see how the refs could miss it from their angle. We need to instill that on our team.
15. Our defensive line did not get blown off the ball. They just didnt' get much run support. When our defensive line stunted left or right...they stopped the run without support.
16. Our interior OL did a good job keeping the pocket secure during the pass.

1. Engabare got pissed after he got his helmet ripped off and came back in and played like a madman. Why can't we have that fire from all the players all the time.
2. Jammie is a good player but not big enough to be a safety. We need a DJ Swag to rattle a few teeth.
3. Cam is a freshman who will have better days ahead. Coach him up
4. OL isn't solid. Teach them how to hold like Tenn. Some of our guys got mugged and the ref standing nearby. CWm needs to be on the phone to the damn SEC office.
5. Hill was inconsisent. He did make some good decisions. Seems to have a good arm.
6. Small defensive linemen. If not big, you better be very good (see Melvin Igraham)
7. Team was not aware of where they were on the field. What was needed for a first down? Why field a punt at the 4? Where is the ball during punt block?

I agree with ya on all of this. I might add Pickens should start. He was pushing his guy back the whole time he was out there.

Reactions: MTsumner92
Tennessees offensive line did a great job hiding their holding. I could definitely see how the refs could miss it from their angle. We need to instill that on our team.

Im not sure its they did a great job but more the refs were just letting them get away with it and they took advantage, maybe we did it less when on Offense and should of been doing it more with that crew

I didnt think that the crew purposely advantaged one team or another just seemed they were calling the game a certain way and Tenn might have adjusted better

1. Shi Smith should of caught the ball that turned into a TD for the other team. Yes, the throw wasn't perfect. Just sayin.
2. Shi Smith has a mouth that is going to lose a game for us this season. Discipline. Coach needs to lock that down.
4. Our offensive tackles, even Wonnum, struggled at pass blocking. We put a true freshman in at offensive tackle and he played like a true freshman(duh). This was a big mistake that I cannot look the other way on. What was Wolford thinking when he had Nichols, Moore, and Turentine on the bench? Stupid!!!!! I do not like platooning offensive tackles. Pick one and get them plenty of reps. I think this is why they are moving Wonnum back to his natural right tackle spot. He does ok pass blocking from there. At least that is one side that is fixed. We need to get the TE involved in helping the other side by chipping the DE.
6. Muse is a great pass catching TE. He needs to learn how to finish blocks. You can't make an NFL team if you can't finish blocks.
8. Hill had some good and bad moments. Rocket arm NO DOUBT. Jury is still out on him. 2nd and 4th quarter dry patches concern me. He needs to be introduced to the other receivers. Get to know them.
11. Cam is a redshirt freshman that is going to have plenty of attention in practice this week. We need you Cam. We need you now!
14. Tennessees offensive line did a great job hiding their holding. I could definitely see how the refs could miss it from their angle. We need to instill that on our team.
15. Our defensive line did not get blown off the ball. They just didnt' get much run support. When our defensive line stunted left or right...they stopped the run without support.

I'm not sure I agree with you on #6. Muse is ok, but he dropped what was a sure first down and maybe a TD. It was 3rd down, and we had to settle for a FG. Difference in the score right there. Have to catch that one

Agree on Muse above and Smith in the OP. People like to throw the word "coaching" around but neither of those balls were anywhere NEAR "circus catch" level. Same with the sideline comebacks to Smith and #17. Players have to make plays; CATCH the effin ball. Our outcome depends on it.

I don't understand the veiled criticism of Hill; "inconsistent"?? Nah, can't agree with that. Not perfect, but definitely a passing grade and CERTAINLY a step up. I'll take him.

I'm not a huge Shi Smith fan, but I would like to see all of our receivers attack their routes the way he did Saturday night.

Agree on Muse above and Smith in the OP. People like to throw the word "coaching" around but neither of those balls were anywhere NEAR "circus catch" level. Same with the sideline comebacks to Smith and #17. Players have to make plays; CATCH the effin ball. Our outcome depends on it.

I don't understand the veiled criticism of Hill; "inconsistent"?? Nah, can't agree with that. Not perfect, but definitely a passing grade and CERTAINLY a step up. I'll take him.

I'm not a huge Shi Smith fan, but I would like to see all of our receivers attack their routes the way he did Saturday night.
I agree with you wholeheartedly about Hill. He was easily better than Guarantano. I thought overall, especially considering the circumstances with practice/Covid concerns, Hill did a good job for his first start.

Excellent points.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Im not sure its they did a great job but more the refs were just letting them get away with it and they took advantage, maybe we did it less when on Offense and should of been doing it more with that crew

I didnt think that the crew purposely advantaged one team or another just seemed they were calling the game a certain way and Tenn might have adjusted better

Not disagreeing, just saying... Holding is not illegal. Getting caught holding is a penalty. See the difference? i.e. 55 mph might be the speed limit. .......
It's a Risk vs Reward kinda thang.

To put this much time in effort into a team like USC must be painful.

Not disagreeing, just saying... Holding is not illegal. Getting caught holding is a penalty. See the difference? i.e. 55 mph might be the speed limit. .......

When I drive into work I go through several small towns, some towns don't care if I'm 15 over the posted speed limit, some do, I have to adjust based on the town's sheriff, , you have to adjust based on the crew, some call a bunch of holding penalties, some dont this crew did not on Saturday, which is my point, we could all see the holding so it wasn't hidden, so you know the officials saw it to, just were not pulling the flag for it much.

UT definitely embraced the risk!! As I stated in another thread, I'm terrible at watching OL play; When watching a game with others, guys will be like, "did you see so-and-so hold/block/pancake/open a hole", and I'd never see any of it. On Saturday night, I saw two BLATANT holds by UT on big gainers for them. It's bad when *I* see it.

Last edited:
UT definitely embraced the risk!! It's bad when *I* see it.

Where I start to lose it, is when PI isn't called. But that's nothing compared to how ballistic I go when some idiot says ..... "He didn't touch him, that wasn't pass interference!"

@#$&% there's pass interference on every GD &%$#@ pass. LOL!

I agree on Hill getting a passing grade. Thought he hit enough recievers in stride to expect to see a lot more of that going forward.

I agree with 1&2 and said as much in other threads. The INT was thrown a little high and a little hard for such a short route but when you can get your arms around a ball as easy as he could that one, you HAVE TO CATCH IT! Nobody said this would be easy... He lacks composure and it will/already did hurt us.

Muse is a good TE- but Muse’s drop was worse though than Shi’s even though his did not result in a pick 6, it hit him dead in the hands!! That was a perfect pass, where only Muse could catch it, dead center on both hands and he just flat dropped it. That could have been a big play for us at a crucial moment. Between the pick 6, Muse’s drop, the muffed punt and the NO CALL OPI on the first TD pass Cam was “burned” on... We really should have won this game. There was a lot of dirty play by UT that went without flags that night... From late hits to that OPI... The refs were not helping us out at all. UT is dirty, always have been and if the refs won’t hold them accountable when they cheat... Well.. they win. A lot of talk has centered around our boys taking too much smack Saturday, sometimes they were yelling because UT was cheating like Hell and they wanted to bring attention to it.

UT definitely embraced the risk!! As I stated in another thread, I'm terrible at watching OL play; When watching a game with others, guys will be like, "did you see so-and-so hold/block/pancake/open a hole", and I'd never see any of it. On Saturday night, I saw two BLATANT holds by UT on big gainers for them. It's bad when *I* see it.
They were ignoring it on both sides of the ball. There was one play where our OT was getting bull rushed into Hill and he just grabbed the defender as he was falling down and drug him down to. I don’t know if it was planned to just call the game lose or if that’s just how it happened but they let a lot go on both teams.

Reactions: 92Pony
I'm in 25% agreement.

Too much work here. This is pitiful HC and crew. Wasted effort. Get the big pic. They are running us to the ground. Someone needs to run them out of town before we are 6 under.

One need only look at the performance of Guarantano to understand inconsistency and to understand just how consistent Hill was. Guarantano overthrew several WIDE open receivers throughout the course of the night. Multiple of Hill’s misfires, particularly the ball to Shi, were generally catchable even though not on the money. My only criticism of him is that he tended to zero in on Shi, although that may simply be a function of the other receivers not being open (not going to go back and relive the experience by watching again).

One need only look at the performance of Guarantano to understand inconsistency and to understand just how consistent Hill was. Guarantano overthrew several WIDE open receivers throughout the course of the night. Multiple of Hill’s misfires, particularly the ball to Shi, were generally catchable even though not on the money. My only criticism of him is that he tended to zero in on Shi, although that may simply be a function of the other receivers not being open (not going to go back and relive the experience by watching again).
The Italian kept us in the ballgame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT