ADVERTISEMENT

OK guys...here's the deal....

superflyby

Mar 12, 2007
Monroe NC
Here's the deal.....Spurrier is not going to do the massive overhaul of the staff that we need. If he were willing to do that (and he's not) then he would be hard pressed to find anyone willing to come to this sinking ship that could make a real difference. The course of action will be one of two....he will step down at seasons end (unlikely) or he will replace one, maybe two coaches and the struggle will continue and the program will regress even farther (yes, that's possible). If Tanner talked Spurrier into staying (no proof of that) then that was a stupid idea. I don't want someone who really doesn't want to be here, be it coach or player. We know Holtz was talked into staying and look how that turned out. I will say if Tanner did talk him into staying, then it is now time to talk him into hanging it up. He will NOT revamp the staff the way it needs to be because Jr. should be at the top of the list followed by Ward and Deke ! Not going to happen...IMO....

Reactions: gamecock ed
SOS sorta painted himself in to this corner. IMHO his career is done here at least being competitive in the sec. I base that on the limited time he has left, the staff he has assembled and the players he has recruited and is recruiting.

Reactions: jbouton
Time to move over to a consulting role and help find his own successor as has been discussed by him. Personally, I think we are in for st least 4 more azz whippings so maybe that convinces him.

Reactions: gamecock ed
Time to move over to a consulting role and help find his own successor as has been discussed by him. Personally, I think we are in for st least 4 more azz whippings so maybe that convinces him.
At this point do we really want Spurrier involved in hiring his successor? We know he is biased towards certain people that haven't panned out for us.

Having his name attached to our program is a good thing but I'm not sure I trust his judgement right now at all.

for me, not letting Ward go after the disaster our defense was last year was a tale-tell sign that even SOS is now comfortable with mediocrity, head coaches fire assistants all the time and SOS said that he wouldn't eliminate Ward because he was under contract, ridiculous

for me, not letting Ward go after the disaster our defense was last year was a tale-tell sign that even SOS is now comfortable with mediocrity, head coaches fire assistants all the time and SOS said that he wouldn't eliminate Ward because he was under contract, ridiculous
What further confirmed he started accepting mediocrity was when he started to defend a 7-6 season around Media days even though he admitted he almost retired. That didn't sound like any Steve Spurrier I have ever known in the past. It wasn't the tone when he first got here, that is for sure. He tried to change the culture but the culture has worn him down. He's gotten use to losing and disappointment like most of our fans.

What further confirmed he started accepting mediocrity was when he started to defend a 7-6 season around Media days even though he admitted he almost retired. That didn't sound like any Steve Spurrier I have ever known in the past. It wasn't the tone when he first got here, that is for sure. He tried to change the culture but the culture has worn him down. He's gotten use to losing and disappointment like most of our fans.

Well, dammit, the way to get out of that 'prison of negativity and self pity' is to WORK your way out of the mess that often the person trying to escape from it has created HIMSELF.

My personal opinion is that Spurrier shot himself in the foot with that ' . . . . 2-3 years' crap AND failed to follow up QUICKLY with his best Spurrier quip ever along with major overhauling of his staff, thus sending a message, 'I ain't dead, yet, fellas - I'm just getting started'. However, that would have required two things SOS ain't gonna do: (1) work his ass off and (2) fire numerous members of his staff.

Once, again, our fan base has proven to be too quick with praise, honors, money, idol worshipping, and total trust in a human being. It's 'Gotcha' time again for GamecockNation.

Reactions: Buzzkill1

I think the opposite is true with fans. all the ones who are in their 20sand 30s expect 10 wins....I cannot speak for the guys 50plus. spurrier will NOT stay despite what tony says if we go 4-8 and continue to get our ass beaten by record setting average QBs....he expected the defense to be much improved and it is the exact same

I think the opposite is true with fans. all the ones who are in their 20sand 30s expect 10 wins....I cannot speak for the guys 50plus. spurrier will NOT stay despite what tony says if we go 4-8 and continue to get our ass beaten by record setting average QBs....he expected the defense to be much improved and it is the exact same

I will be 71 years old in November (USC, Class of '67) and I expect our football team to win 9 or more games EVERY season and our baseball team to make the Super Regionals EVERY season and the CWS at least 1 out of 4 years. Amen!!!

Reactions: rogue cock
I also could not believe my ears when I heard Spurrier trying to explain how 7-6 was not a bad season. We beat a very mediocre Miami team to avoid a losing record, and Coach Spurrier was trying to put some lipstick on that pig.

My personal opinion is that Spurrier shot himself in the foot with that ' . . . . 2-3 years' crap AND failed to follow up QUICKLY with his best Spurrier quip ever along with major overhauling of his staff, thus sending a message, 'I ain't dead, yet, fellas - I'm just getting started'. However, that would have required two things SOS ain't gonna do: (1) work his ass off and (2) fire numerous members of his staff.

It happened before that. The 2 to 3 more year statement only affected last year's recruiting. As witnessed by the lack of talent on the field last night, it goes way further back than last year. We have been on cruise control the last 3 or 4 years in recruiting. The last big time recruit we got was Clowney. Our coaches have settled for lesser talent, diamonds in the rough types, because it was easier and didn't take as much work. They fooled themselves into believing that was good enough, that they could coach them up into good teams. The reason we had those great seasons was because we had game changers. Lattimore, Clowney, Alshon, Gilmore, etc. The fact that we got lucky with Shaw, Swearinger, and Taylor didn't mean that it was the blueprint to follow for success. In this day and age, you have to be a relentless recruiter. Two and three star kids won't get it done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT