ADVERTISEMENT

Okay so let's decide, football this fall or not.

Would you agree to go bankrupt, maybe breakup your marriage, and sock your kids with extra debt to give someone a marginally better chance to live longer? If so, please do regale us with all the large humanitarian aid donations you’ve made in the past.

This is not a one way street.

Guess your solution is open everything back up tomorrow, right?

One option would be to play football without fans in the stadium. The WWE is doing it. ;) But I’m not for this because I bet with the lack of pre season team practices and conditioning..... a low energy televised only football season would be like watching sloppy exhibition games. Imagine watching us play like we did in the UVA bowl game 12 weeks in a rowSick straight! Everyone playing at half speed like they don’t care.

not to mention that is still a lot of people gathering at one time in the same area even without fans. The players, coaches, support staff, tv crew, medical, security, the list goes on...

The 2020 season is probably not happening.

Last edited:
Liability, Liability, Liability.
Athletes can be screened and insure no one has the germs.
Campuses will be closed and coursework will be online until January, at least.
I hope Fall sports are played with no fans. Schools will receive TV money, the hit will not be as bad.
Of course, athletes will be on campus and no one else.

Guess your solution is open everything back up tomorrow, right?
Nope. In a crisis you triage to try to limit overall harm. But if we eff our country up beyond the point of no return then the small fraction of the population with compromised immune systems that we manage to save for a few more years are going to wonder why we bothered. Obviously the folks who lost their livelihoods (ie money AND personal dignity, maybe even more important) are going to wonder. Already are in fact.

Reactions: ansoncock
No way. We can't make amateur athletes risk their lives falling all over each other. Unless there's a vaccine or incredible treatment, no football.

Ok, but how much risk would their be?

If I was 19 years old again, and a football player, I would be far more concerned about a 300 lb. linebacker coming my way; COVID-19 would be the least of my worries. I do believe hugging and kissing between football players probably should be banned. Also, groping by the Tigers should have been banned long ago.

I bet the insurance companies who insure USC against sports injuries, liabilities, etc. have ignored their actuarial tables which would show there is less risk if less or no sports. USC should have money returned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT