ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma and texas want in the SEC.

You seem to think FSU is going to stay down. I don’t
Rebounding for FSU is not automatic. Tennessee, and Nebraska have not been able to rebound. Alabama owns the state of Florida in recruiting. They have been pulling more 5 star players out of that state than anyone including Fla, Miami, and FSU. Clemson has been pulling 5 stars and several 4 star players out of Florida also.

I've been living in the metro Atlanta area now for over 20 years, of course UGA is the local flavor, with that said there is always conversations about UF, Auburn, Bama, and UT, but SC rarely if ever gets mentioned.
So even though SC borders Georgia one would think there would be some kind of passing interest inAg
That is not the case. We are a complete afterthought, Particularly after the last two HC hires, which around here was considered comical.
The takeaway is what King just alluded to, we are not taken seriously.
Agree. Same is true in the Bluffton/HHI area (probably even Beaufort). We have the largest fanbase, UGA is easily 2nd. They don't talk about us, worry about us, nothing. Have quite a few UGA friends and they talk about Auburn, Florida and the demise of Tennessee.

which one? All three? I see clemson in the west and they would be us in the west.
What I was trying to convey....probably poorly....is that I think Clemson could step right in the SEC and compete for the top without any doubt. They would be one of the top two/three teams in the conference. It may not have always been that way because of schedules, but I think they are long pass that issue at this point.

I would expect them to rebound, to what extent, no one knows. But they sacrificed a lot of cachet, excitement, and tons of money by doing what they did.
Don’t believe money is or has been a problem for FSU. Three NCs is a lot of excitement

Rebounding for FSU is not automatic. Tennessee, and Nebraska have not been able to rebound. Alabama owns the state of Florida in recruiting. They have been pulling more 5 star players out of that state than anyone including Fla, Miami, and FSU. Clemson has been pulling 5 stars and several 4 star players out of Florida also.
There’s a lot more talent in FSUs backyard than Tenn or Nebraska. Also, there is and always has been plenty of talent leave the state. Hasn’t affected FSU, Fla, or Miami. About a dozen NCs between those three. They’ve all had and are having lean years. But to think all three won’t be contenders again? I think they will

What I was trying to convey....probably poorly....is that I think Clemson could step right in the SEC and compete for the top without any doubt. They would be one of the top two/three teams in the conference. It may not have always been that way because of schedules, but I think they are long pass that issue at this point.
It would take them a few years, talking about a decade or so, to catch up. They would eventually. They are not like us and put football first. We would disagree with them joining tho, so It's a moot point.

There’s a lot more talent in FSUs backyard than Tenn or Nebraska. Also, there is and always has been plenty of talent leave the state. Hasn’t affected FSU, Fla, or Miami. About a dozen NCs between those three. They’ve all had and are having lean years. But to think all three won’t be contenders again? I think they will
The reason they are having lean years is because Bama and Clem is getting more than their share from that state. If FSU can stop that they will start winning again. When Spurrier was at Fla, Bowden was at FSU and Johnson was at Miami they kept the talent in state and they all three won big. Those days have passed. That is why the Florida schools are not winning conference championships anymore.

Reactions: rogue cock
It would take them a few years, talking about a decade or so, to catch up. They would eventually. They are not like us and put football first. We would disagree with them joining tho, so It's a moot point.
They are nothing like us. Have you seen their roster, their recruiting, and they have as good a coaching staff as any in the SEC. Plus they have the big boosters for football. Our big donors are more interested in the academic side and give to that. Coach Doofus has built them into a powerhouse program every bit as good as any in the SEC.

Question. Bring in Clemson and watch them implode for a while until they learn to play football? Or leave them out to have the easy schedule and leaven to that standard? We would have to approve and I doubt that happens.
I really don’t think they would have the learning curve you think they would.

They are nothing like us. Have you seen their roster, their recruiting, and they have as good a coaching staff as any in the SEC. Plus they have the big boosters for football. Our big donors are more interested in the academic side and give to that. Coach Doofus has built them into a powerhouse program every bit as good as any in the SEC.
clemmy opened up the checkbook and started spending it where it matters. NCAA is weak now and doesn't care.

The reason they are having lean years is because Bama and Clem is getting more than their share from that state. If FSU can stop that they will start winning again. When Spurrier was at Fla, Bowden was at FSU and Johnson was at Miami they kept the talent in state and they all three won big. Those days have passed. That is why the Florida schools are not winning conference championships anymore.
If you look on the rosters or in my case hear during games, there must be dozens of teams, all over the country, that have Fla talent. Been going on for many decades. There’s enough talent for all those teams. And for the big three to have championship Caliber teams. But I get what you’re saying

clemmy opened up the checkbook and started spending it where it matters. NCAA is weak now and doesn't care.
NCAAs problem has always been that it has no investigative powers. In that regard they have always been weak. They pretty much have to rely on someone reporting a school that is breaking the rules (i.e. a player reporting SMU or a rival school reporting Clemson) or schools self-reporting any violations.

Reactions: DarkHorse2001
I would want the team that I pull for to be in the best conference in the nation and I'm glad that they are.

If you look on the rosters or in my case hear during games, there must be dozens of teams, all over the country, that have Fla talent. Been going on for many decades. There’s enough talent for all those teams. And for the big three to have championship Caliber teams. But I get what you’re saying
A lot of he very best talent in Florida is being lured out of state. UF, FSU and Miami still get a little bit of the very best but not like they once did. Alabama is getting more of the top talent from Florida than anyone.
Mullen said at SEC Media days “Since Saban arrived in Tuscaloosa in 2007, Alabama has signed more five-star Florida prospects than the Gators, Miami (FL) and Florida State combined.”
Think about that for a minute and its obvious why the Florida schools are sort of in a slump.

I know that won't happen but I would love for it to. We need to be playing against the UNCs, Ga Techs, and Wake Forests of the world. We share much more history with those guys.
I agree we are a better match with the ACC...but the SEC is the GOLD STANDARD...and we make more $$$$ than any ACC school except maybe Notre Dame just by being in the SEC...

I like the fact we play UGA in all sports...playing UNC does not thrill me at all...

The SEC would have more of an ACC feel if we could snag NC State and VT....

I say we don't go to a state where we already have an SEC member school...thus no Clemson, GA Tech, FSU, Texas....

I'm not sure NCSU or VT would leave their big sisters of the ACC (UNC & UVA)....

If Texas prefers to rub shoulders with Cal Berkeley, and Stanford instead of Alabama, and Georgia, then they should go knock on PAC 12's door.
Only the faculty wants that. No one in the athletic dept wants long trips to Washington State, etc. Plus Texas and OU have this domestic abuse relationship where neither will leave the other and OU is attached to Oklahoma State. So the Pac-10 would have to take all three. As I expect the SEC would have to and probably will be unwilling.

I say let the Big 10 have Texas. Can you imagine the battle of egos between Ohio State and Texas? It would suck up all the oxygen in the room every time.
A lot of folks at Texas would prefer the Big Ten. Put Ohio State in the East and Texas in the West and I doubt the egos rub shoulders too much. The team that would hate this is Nebraska, they would hate being in the West with Texas.

A lot of folks at Texas would prefer the Big Ten. Put Ohio State in the East and Texas in the West and I doubt the egos rub shoulders too much. The team that would hate this is Nebraska, they would hate being in the West with Texas.
I was referring to conference meetings where everyone tries to exert their will regarding policy and rule changes.

Not a shot at you, though it may come off this way. For that, I'll apologize in advance. But I've never seen Texas keep its collective ego in check.

I was referring to conference meetings where everyone tries to exert their will regarding policy and rule changes.

Not a shot at you, though it may come off this way. For that, I'll apologize in advance. But I've never seen Texas keep its collective ego in check.
I have never seen it either. I can't imagine Texas reaction (if a member) when the Big Ten so quickly cancelled the 2020 season for Covid, almost like they were happy about it. The SEC and Big 12 immediately said they were playing and shamed them back to the field. If Texas had been in the Big Ten when they tried to cancel the season, things would have been rough. Those different views on the world may make it hard for Texas in the Big Ten.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Rebounding for FSU is not automatic. Tennessee, and Nebraska have not been able to rebound.
The difference is why those teams haven't been able to rebound. The corn fed 5th year senior offensive lineman that fueled Nebraska's power run game don't help so much in a world where the rules are changed to favor passing. FSU was on top because it is so well placed for recruiting. It just needs the right coach.

No one in the athletic dept wants long trips to Washington State, etc.
If Texas (and only Texas) joins the Big Ten, the closet conference team would be Nebraska. If Texas joins the Pacific 12 , the nearest conference member would be either Colorado or one of the Arizona schools. This reminds of Hawaii closest conference team would be either San Diego State or San Jose State which would likely be at least a six hour flight.

Geographically it would be better for Texas fans to travel shorter distances to SEC towns Fayetteville, Oxford, Starkville and Baton Rouge.

Reactions: jerryusc
I have never seen it either. I can't imagine Texas reaction (if a member) when the Big Ten so quickly cancelled the 2020 season for Covid, almost like they were happy about it. The SEC and Big 12 immediately said they were playing and shamed them back to the field. If Texas had been in the Big Ten when they tried to cancel the season, things would have been rough. Those different views on the world may make it hard for Texas in the Big Ten.
Good point. I also agree that Texas in the Pac 12 doesn't make sense either. I honestly don't see a better scenario for y'all than the current setup.

Thoughts?

I agree we are a better match with the ACC...but the SEC is the GOLD STANDARD...and we make more $$$$ than any ACC school except maybe Notre Dame just by being in the SEC...

I like the fact we play UGA in all sports...playing UNC does not thrill me at all...

The SEC would have more of an ACC feel if we could snag NC State and VT....

I say we don't go to a state where we already have an SEC member school...thus no Clemson, GA Tech, FSU, Texas....

I'm not sure NCSU or VT would leave their big sisters of the ACC (UNC & UVA)....
Neither NCSU nor VaTech would leave. First the ACC has a $50M exit fee. 2nd with respect to VaTech, Virginia pushed hard to get them into the ACC so that they wouldn't be left out of the last reorganization. Also, not sure but believe both UNC and NCSU are part of the same University System and , if so, that would make it difficult.

Good point. I also agree that Texas in the Pac 12 doesn't make sense either. I honestly don't see a better scenario for y'all than the current setup.

Thoughts?
It is hard to predict how the NIL rights will change football. It may bring about consolidation. But the NIL is behind all this recent frantic activity.

If Texas (and only Texas) joins the Big Ten, the closet conference team would be Nebraska. If Texas joins the Pacific 12 , the nearest conference member would be either Colorado or one of the Arizona schools. This reminds of Hawaii closest conference team would be either San Diego State or San Jose State which would likely be at least a six hour flight.

Geographically it would be better for Texas fans to travel shorter distances to SEC towns Fayetteville, Oxford, Starkville and Baton Rouge.
I think everyone in the Texas athletic dept agrees, but it is hard to give up the OU rivalry and OU can't screw Oklahoma State, so getting all three into the SEC would be a much harder thing than just (1) Texas or (2) Texas and OU.

WE'RE NEVER GOING TO THE ACC.
WE'RE NEVER LEAVING THE SEC. NEVER
Yeah, back in the late 70s, I think it was, USC went hat in hand wanting to rejoin the ACC but they said NO and, for them it, was a nice no. They didn't humiliate USC as much as they could have.
So USC is gonna laugh/cry all the way to the bank and the ACC slips another notch.

Last edited:
I'm sure that both sides are hunting larger game than you suggest. We could have had both of those schools years ago if that's what the boys in Birmingham wanted.
Yeah, WVU wanted to join the SEC and let it be known but SEC "powers" were kinda snobby and said no. Would have much preferred WVU to that "whore for the B10" Mo.

They and the B1G need to drop their old grudges....that is where UND belongs.
B10 wanted ND to join a few years ago but ND is still sucking their thumb about what happened back in the 1920s when anti-Catholic sentiment was high and they wanted to join and B10 said no. So it's not B10 powers preventing a ND join now. ND's hand may be forced when SEC becomes even more powerful with Texas and Ok.

Hey, ND, it's been a 100 yrs.

B10 wanted ND to join a few years ago but ND is still sucking their thumb about what happened back in the 1920s when anti-Catholic sentiment was high and they wanted to join and B10 said no. So it's not B10 powers preventing a ND join now. ND's hand may be forced when SEC becomes even more powerful with Texas and Ok.

Hey, ND, it's been a 100 yrs.
Yeah, I understand that. What is so interesting is that Ohio is a very Catholic state.

I think they would leave them for the same reason A&M left Texas - to get out from the shadow of their in-state goliaths (something that will never happen as long as they stay in the same conference). And it worked for A&M.

Someone mentioned the $50M buyout that each would owe as a hinderance, but seriously, what's $50M these days? The SEC would already pay $10-15M more a year than the ACC and that's not including the new monies that would come in with the new tv markets and more bowl teams. That $50M would be paid off fast.

Reactions: jerryusc
Yeah, WVU wanted to join the SEC and let it be known but SEC "powers" were kinda snobby and said no. Would have much preferred WVU to that "whore for the B10" Mo.
Mo. is by far the greater institution, and historically, the better of the two athletically. It also has within its borders two large metropolitan areas and their TV markets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT