ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any recommendations for a solid gas grill with smoker capabilities?

I bought an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn 3-1 combo last summer. I’ve loved it. You could charcoal grill, but I mainly use it to smoke or gas grill. Produces a ton of smoke, uses very little charcoal to smoke, also has side burner I use to start the charcoal chimney. It’s nice to have the gas component for quick grills or to sear or broil something after smoking.

I have a Weber grill and Big Green Egg. I use the Egg about 80% and the gas grill about 20%. I like the Egg, but pellet ease of use is attractive. I also like how easy it is to mix wood flavored pellets. A pellett grill sounds like a great recommendation.

If you want just a gas grill, you can get the tubes that hold pellets, or use an aluminum pan full of pellets or wood chunks covered with foil for smoking.

Reactions: TAV31
I've got an egg and a Blue Ember gas grill. The gas grill had been sitting for a couple of years, and I took a slow weekend in early lockdown 2020 to really clean it (stainless polish and elbow grease) and ordered new burner tents and cast iron grates. It cooks about as good as new. I probably use the egg more but I really like having the gas grill as well. I think it's better for wings, mild fish, peppers and onions for salsa verde and for when I need a lot of surface area. Blue Ember is/was a Home Depot brand I think - I'd say look for a stainless chassis and cast iron grates. An iron box for wood chips adds smoke, but for real smoking I either use the egg or my dedicated smoker.

I have a gas grill and a pellet grill and never use the gas grill. Pellet grill has better flavor and is stupid easy. Mine is a rec teq by the way.

I have a pit boss Austin XL. It’s a pellet grill, smoker, etc. the only issue I’ve had is user error/laziness. that thing puts the flavor into some smoked meats! I use it as a grill and a smoker and it does great for both

My only gripe with a pellet is I want some stuff to be cooked on open flame like a hamburger. To me a pellet just can’t cook a burger like my egg can.

Although I will add some companies are catching on to this fact because I think some of them you can cook on open direct heat. By moving some grates or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: chief2791
My only gripe with a pellet is I want some stuff to be cooked on open flame like a hamburger. To me a pellet just can’t cook a burger like my egg can.

Although I will add some companies are catching on to this fact because I think some of them you can cook on open direct heat. By moving some grates or something.
Mine has a sliding deflector plate, that allows me to cook over open flame. Very easy, very convenient

Reactions: chief2791
I have a Kamado Joe, a Gass grill and a Z grill pellet grill. I use the Z grill 90 percent of the time. The Joe is great on very long cooks but for versatility and ease of operation pluse Bluetooth phone capability, the pellet grill is hands free easy and cooks just as well as the $1000.00 Kamado Joe Big Joe, at half the price.

I have had the Oklahoma Joe 3-1 for about 5 years, wife bought it for me for Christmas. I use it 3-5 times a week. I have only used the gas side twice in 5 years, and that was in the first month I had it. First time I've ever had a gas grill. I'm just not a gas guy, I prefer charcoal, it's what I've always known. I'll probably go back with Oklahoma Joe when that one's done, but it will be a charcoal only.

I also bought a cheap (Trail Embers) pellet on closeout ($240) from Tractor Supply about 3 years ago. I wanted to start with something cheap, and if I liked it I'd upgrade. I've never upgraded, it's simple and works every time I fire it up, never had one issue with it. When it gives out, I'll upgrade to a Rec-Tec (my dad has one), but I'm gonna keep riding it until the bitter end.

If I'm grilling steaks, burgers, pork chops, chicken, I use the charcoal. You just can't beat the taste IMO. When I put a butt, roast, brisket, etc. on (smoking), I use the pellet (along with a Wi-Fi digital temp probe). The pellet is just like an oven with smoke, it's insanely easy. My wife even uses it from time to time. She doesn't touch the charcoal grill.

I have a Weber grill and Big Green Egg. I use the Egg about 80% and the gas grill about 20%. I like the Egg, but pellet ease of use is attractive. I also like how easy it is to mix wood flavored pellets. A pellett grill sounds like a great recommendation.
I bought the Green Egg 2 years ago and will never go back. I use that 90% of the time VS my Weber.

Reactions: taiwancock
Thanks guys, you talked me into the pellet grill, I went with the Pit Boss 1150 form Lowes!

Now what and where are the best pellets to use?

JMO but the only pellets I have not liked were Traeger. As far as flavor I am also not a fan of straight Hickory. To me it ends up making everything taste the same. I have used BBQr's Delight when I buy stuff from Big Poppa Smokers (Best source for MAC smokers and a huge variety of rubs and sauces), rumor is Acadamy's pellets are made by the same folks. I like them. I am in Aiken so I can run over to Recteq in Augusta and get their Ultimate Blend. They are a good general fuel. I really like straight Mesquite pellets but they have a lot of sand in them and I have had the starter rod get covered with sand/glass and not work. Good luck with the journey.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Thanks guys, you talked me into the pellet grill, I went with the Pit Boss 1150 form Lowes!

Now what and where are the best pellets to use?
I also have a Pitt Boss and I always use Pitt Boss pellets. I have been told (not sure how reliable) that other pellets could jam up the feeder, so I don't take a chance.

Pellet grills require power. Half the reason to having a grill is for it to be available if there's any power outages. You live through a hurricane and go a few weeks without power and you'll see why having a grill requiring power isn't so great. Sounds like most of y'all have both, which is cool.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT