ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any Watch Enthusiasts?

Planning to buy my first "luxury" watch. Anybody got suggestions - good or bad. Experiences?

Thanks! GO COCKS! BEAT UNC!

I'm in love with the IWC Portugese, I don't know that I would feel right dropping that kind of money on it though.

The Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro is similar in design to the IWC but the price point is much better for a luxury watch. Its missing the blue hands and numerals which is what attracted me to the IWC, but still a really nice watch. Swiss automatic movement inside.

Happy hunting, its an addiction!

I'm with gun, get what you want and can afford or you'll probably regret it. I bought a Tissot from Jomashop and have no regrets!

I am a watch collector and have been for some time. The advice you have been given to get what you like, or as some say the watch that "winks" at you, is the best advice. If you are buying watch as also an investment you should only buy a few brands. If you are are buying for fun with no concern for later resale buy what you want. I have several vintage Omegas and the Speedmaster is a beautiful watch and all time classic. IWC are also very nice pilots watches. Be careful with grey market and the internet. There are a lot of fakes or "franken-watches" (ones that have non-OEM parts etc...). Find a watch in as original condition as possible preferably with box and papers. Some brands including Omega will send you an extract (history of the watch) for a fee. This will help validate the watch and the authenticity.

Don't consider myself an enthusiast, but I have a watches by Rolex, Tissot, Seiko, Movado and a Fitbit. I wear my fitbit 98% of the time.

That said, if you are looking for a moderately priced luxury watch, I'd consider Shinola. They are American made in Detroit and are a nice looking, classicly designed watch. If interested, see link below:

https://www.shinola.com/mens/watche...MIodyv0q-m2gIVRrnACh2j7QT0EAAYASAAEgJVzPD_BwE

Don't consider myself an enthusiast, but I have a watches by Rolex, Tissot, Seiko, Movado and a Fitbit. I wear my fitbit 98% of the time.

That said, if you are looking for a moderately priced luxury watch, I'd consider Shinola. They are American made in Detroit and are a nice looking, classicly designed watch. If interested, see link below:

https://www.shinola.com/mens/watches.html?source_campaign=Brand - Watch (Exact)&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIodyv0q-m2gIVRrnACh2j7QT0EAAYASAAEgJVzPD_BwE

I've been thinking about jumping on the Shinola train. They do have a really thick face is my only concern. Do you think they are a quality product?

Like everything Shinola makes, they are vastly over priced. Also, every watch that I have seen is a quartz as opposed to automatic. The OP wants a Luxury watch, not an expensive quartz model. For the same money, he could get either a Tisssot or Hamilton, Swiss made automatic, which is considered a higher standard than Shinola. Sorry, bad advice/

Reactions: woodruffcock
Like everything Shinola makes, they are vastly over priced. Also, every watch that I have seen is a quartz as opposed to automatic. The OP wants a Luxury watch, not an expensive quartz model. For the same money, he could get either a Tisssot or Hamilton, Swiss made automatic, which is considered a higher standard than Shinola. Sorry, bad advice/

I’m not going to call myself an “expert” on Shinola. However, I do live in Detroit and I don’t hear many positive comments on Shinola. Poor quality, over priced for what you get and really bad customer service. They do make a great looking watch though. Too bad they fall short in all the other categories.

Reactions: cockgun
I've been thinking about jumping on the Shinola train. They do have a really thick face is my only concern. Do you think they are a quality product?
I don’t have one so I can’t speak to the quality, but the posts above are questioning the quality so I yield to those who seem to be in the know. I have friend that has one and he likes it... that’s the extent of my knowledge on Shinola quality. I do think they are very nice looking watches. Like any big purchase, do your homework.

I don’t have one so I can’t speak to the quality, but the posts above are questioning the quality so I yield to those who seem to be in the know. I have friend that has one and he likes it... that’s the extent of my knowledge on Shinola quality. I do think they are very nice looking watches. Like any big purchase, do your homework.

Trying to be helpful here. Years ago, I bought a Tag Aquaracer quartz movement and still have it. I thought it was great, and it is, keeps wonderful time. But later, I bought a second one, an automatic, and it is even better. It is a real watch. As to the Shinola, it is a fine quartz model that will keep the same time that a standard Timex will. If you really want to dabble in this, please consider an automatic instead of a quartz. As I said previously, both Tissot, Hamilton and Longines offer affordable, Swss made automatics that will last forever if properly cared for. You should know though that an automatic requires a little more attention and does not keep time as accurately as quartz, but we are only talking seconds a day. That in itself is the beauty of a mechanical watch. Please don't waste your money on the Shinola.. Again, just trying to help. Thanks.

Last edited:
Planning to buy my first "luxury" watch. Anybody got suggestions - good or bad. Experiences?

Thanks! GO COCKS! BEAT UNC!
Are you a big shot? Then just look at your phone for time. If you are a wannabe big shot, then buy a Rolex so your homies will be impressed.

Are you a big shot? Then just look at your phone for time. If you are a wannabe big shot, then buy a Rolex so your homies will be impressed.

Another slave to your phone. My phone is in my pocket, who wants to get that out every time I want to know the time? My watch is right there, easy to see whenever I want without digging out a phone. No it isn't a Rolex, just a good solid rugged watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT