ADVERTISEMENT

OT:CDC decides NOT to test Carnival passengers docking in Charleston.....

Is there a reason to test them?
image.jpg

I have several family members who are nurses and a doctor. In order to be tested the hospital evaluates each person against a CDC Covid 19 checklist/guideline and if they meet the criteria then they have to call a CDC doctor to have the test approved first before testing. The vast majority of people asking to be tested do not qualify. I believe there is still a limited number of tests available hence the rationing.

I have several family members who are nurses and a doctor. In order to be tested the hospital evaluates each person against a CDC Covid 19 checklist/guideline and if they meet the criteria then they have to call a CDC doctor to have the test approved first before testing. The vast majority of people asking to be tested do not qualify. I believe there is still a limited number of tests available hence the rationing.

Makes sense but to me at this point you’ve got to either quarantine or test anyone coming into this country. You can’t keep allowing people to come in without knowing if they are carriers or not.

Makes sense but to me at this point you’ve got to either quarantine or test anyone coming into this country. You can’t keep allowing people to come in without knowing if they are carriers or not.

At this point, I think a few more cases possibly entering is small potatoes compared to whats already here, so the social distancing and quarantine measures for the masses to slow the spread are more critical and effective to the problem as a whole than wasting a bunch of tests on one boat.

At this point, I think a few more cases possibly entering is small potatoes compared to whats already here, so the social distancing and quarantine measures for the masses to slow the spread are more critical and effective to the problem as a whole than wasting a bunch of tests on one boat.

Maybe but you also have to admit that each unknowing positive case that enters this state has the ability to multiply this virus

I kinda disagree. I mean look at "patient 31 "in South Korea, 1 person could do a lot of damage let alone a boat load of people. I rather be safe than sorry

I kinda disagree. I mean look at "patient 31 "in South Korea, 1 person could do a lot of damage let alone a boat load of people. I rather be safe than sorry

I don’t know anything about patient 31. What does that mean?

With what were you going to test them? Trump refused to bring in Qiagen's COVID-19 test because he demanded a made in the USA test kit. The CDC had challenges in the development of their assay and we lost 5-6 weeks. This delay was compounded by shortages in the RNA solubilization reagent. After the first 100,000 US cases are confirmed and our healthcare system begins to be overwhelmed, people of going to start asking for answers as to how this could happen in America. I guess it was with his "hunch" that this was all liberal media generated hype. MAGA....right.

With what were you going to test them? Trump refused to bring in Qiagen's COVID-19 test because he demanded a made in the USA test kit. The CDC had challenges in the development of their assay and we lost 5-6 weeks. This delay was compounded by shortages in the RNA solubilization reagent. After the first 100,000 US cases are confirmed and our healthcare system begins to be overwhelmed, people of going to start asking for answers as to how this could happen in America. I guess it was with his "hunch" that this was all liberal media generated hype. MAGA....right.
The preexisting kits were discovered to have an unacceptable rate of false positives and false negatives. The higher quality kits are coming into play now, and catching up.

I know it seems scary, but you still gotta have a reason to test people. If there is no known or suspected exposure and nobody has suggestive symptoms, it's probably fine.
They went four days at sea, symptoms take up to fourteen days to show. Should be in quarantine for 14 days and those with symptoms tested, if any.

Reactions: taiwancock

lol, you are grossly uninformed.

Reactions: BigTomE and Expro19
They went four days at sea, symptoms take up to fourteen days to show. Should be in quarantine for 14 days and those with symptoms tested, if any.

Based on the smiles coming off the boat in picture two that doesn’t appear to be the plan. I could be wrong. Don’t think I am though.

They have opened a drive-thru testing center near where I live, but you still have to have a doctor's prescription, which is based on having suggestive symptoms. If none of those on the ship have symptoms or known/suspected contact with the virus, there is no reason to test them.

Reactions: BigTomE
Does anyone think they are going to relax some of this criteria at some point, sooner rather than later? I read an article that claimed people who are asymptomatic are just as contagious as those showing symptoms. Dr. Bell even said yesterday in the press conference that they weren't testing everyone who's come in contact with positives because they can't follow every case.

I know it seems scary, but you still gotta have a reason to test people. If there is no known or suspected exposure and nobody has suggestive symptoms, it's probably fine.
Cruise ship = virus incubator

So we should test them for every virus. That's the only way your logic makes sense.
They are telling us to socially isolate. We are doing that.

Next, we import 1000 who cannot socially isolate, and turn them loose without testing. Why would anyone not presume 70 of them are not positive, or maybe 400?

If you really want to flatten the curve, wtf?

The preexisting kits were discovered to have an unacceptable rate of false positives and false negatives. The higher quality kits are coming into play now, and catching up.
As high as 50%, I read. Of dubious utility, to say the least. Could be part of the reason why the mortality rate in South Korea had crept up the last couple of days.

Sorry but not true. In fact, it was a problem in validation of the CDC kits that led to delays in their deployment. Don't be lazy, do your homework.

Sorry but not true. In fact, it was a problem in validation of the CDC kits that led to delays in their deployment. Don't be lazy, do your homework.
What I said is true, after the CDC developed a Covid-19 test kit for onsite testing, they were asked for the kits to be sent offsite. The mass production of the preexisting kits led to manufacturing defects in these kits. A new test kit was designed to address the defect in accuracy.

What I said is true, after the CDC developed a Covid-19 test kit for onsite testing, they were asked for the kits to be sent offsite. The mass production of the preexisting kits led to manufacturing defects in these kits. A new test kit was designed to address the defect in accuracy.

I interpreted your your earlier comment ("The preexisting kits were discovered to have an unacceptable rate of false positives and false negatives. The higher quality kits are coming into play now, and catching up.") as referring to the Qiagen kits. If that was incorrect, then my apologies. There was nothing wrong with the German kits.

My point was that we, the US, had access to kits but our President made the decision that the US would use "Made in the USA" kits - which still contain components / reagents manufactured in other countries. That decision delayed large scale testing in this country by 5+ weeks (and counting due to other issues of reagent supply beyond his control). However, that decision, along with his downplaying of the situation for so long, has added significant risk to our prospects for flattening the peak of infections - the complications from which threaten to overwhelm the healthcare system.

Be well. Be safe. Go Cocks!

With what were you going to test them? Trump refused to bring in Qiagen's COVID-19 test because he demanded a made in the USA test kit.

Not sure where you heard that.

The CDC found out there were intermittent false results with the WHO test, so they made their own. There were problems with the reagent, so they had to go with another batch.

TDS Much? TDS-24/7/365

Who on Earth is making this decision and believes this is a great idea????

https://www.postandcourier.com/heal...cle_88d22936-6792-11ea-a296-4b076affdc68.html

The customer count at the Walmart on bees ferry rd in Charleston was over 8,000 this past Saturday. I've visited Walmart many times and I've been on the Carnival Sunshine many times. I'd take my chances on the Sunshine any day over Walmart. The passengers were screened prior to boarding, had access to an abundance of handwashing/purell stations, and visited the Bahamas, which had zero known cases at the time. This sounds much worse than it really was.

The passengers were not coming into this country, as they left from this country. Every passenger had their temp checked prior to boarding and no one showed any signs of illness or symptoms. Passengers were interviewed as they disembarked and all of them said carnival did an amazing job keeping the ship clean and they never felt in jeopardy.

Article on channel 5 says there's a cruise ship w over 1,000 people docked at Charleston that must stay on the boat for 14 days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT