ADVERTISEMENT

OT eastern US earthquakes - not sports related

We had one in our area several years back. Watching TV late one night and a big boom, house shook for several seconds. I have several large trees near the house and my first thought was one of them fell. Ran outside, walked all around the house, and nothing...it was eerie. Wife got on FB and pretty much immediately found out it was an earthquake. Scared the crap out of us. It shifted my chimney about an inch to the right. Had to fix the roof and ceiling around it.

• Wow
Reactions: 92Pony
We had one in our area several years back. Watching TV late one night and a big boom, house shook for several seconds. I have several large trees near the house and my first thought was one of them fell. Ran outside, walked all around the house, and nothing...it was eerie. Wife got on FB and pretty much immediately found out it was an earthquake. Scared the crap out of us. It shifted my chimney about an inch to the right. Had to fix the roof and ceiling around it.
I remember one from the early to mid-1970's that we felt pretty heavily in the GSP area. My sister and I had a babysitter and I went to open the kitchen cupboard to get a bowl for ice cream and it hit. A lot of the dishes fell out over the counter and floor.....scared the bejesus out of me.

One of the scariest parts is I betcha very few (if any) homes around here - mine included - are covered for earthquake damage. I can't imagine what I'd do if my house were to be destroyed and no insurance to cover it. :(

A few years back sitting at the table of our Summerville home I heard what I thought was a sonic boom. Then the house swayed. And the ground rippled. It was over. Just like that! I looked at my wife and said we either had an earthquake or Godzilla just landed in Charleston harbor.

In that documentary on Vimeo, it said it rang church bells in Charleston.
Could be. There are several covering the quakes of 1811-1812 which were the big one. And IIRC yes felt it all the way to the SC coast. I believe the last one was in the 1850s. From what I've understood it is long overdue for another big one.....I don't want to see it.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT