ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Moving to the upstate

THEUSC4EVER

Jan 30, 2006
Hey guys, I am moving to the Greenville area this summer and was looking for some advice. I will be working in Spartanburg while my fiance will be working in Anderson. Does anyone have any advice on a good place in between the two so that the commute is not too bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If I were looking for an area halfway between Spbg and Anderson I would look at the Simpsonville - Fountain Inn area. F.I. is a great small town and Greenville is not far away.

Originally posted by THEUSC4EVER:
Hey guys, I am moving to the Greenville area this summer and was looking for some advice. I will be working in Spartanburg while my fiance will be working in Anderson. Does anyone have any advice on a good place in between the two so that the commute is not too bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If you're looking to buy, let me know if I can help... 20 years helping buyers in Greenville area.

Check out Powdersville and get some tax relief in Anderson County. Easy access to I-85. Be prepared for a dreadful commute to Spartanburg. You might want to take one for the team and keep the fiancé happy...there are some beautiful homes and neighborhoods off Highway 81 between Greenville and Anderson.

Suggest Simpsonville. Good small town that has everything you need and has good schools.
It is exploding in growth.I have lived here off and on for about 23 years .
Commuted to Spartanburg for about 9 years. From where I lived about 30 minute drive.
Did some business travel to Anderson. About 40 miles.
Just have to decide whether you want to live on East or West Side of 385. That changes the distance either way.
Simpsonville is only about 90 minutes to Columbia if you go to games.
About 12 miles from Greenville downtown.

Originally posted by freebird2001:

Check out Powdersville and get some tax relief in Anderson County. Easy access to I-85. Be prepared for a dreadful commute to Spartanburg. You might want to take one for the team and keep the fiancé happy...there are some beautiful homes and neighborhoods off Highway 81 between Greenville and Anderson.
I would agree with Freebird... plus its always better to keep the bride to be happy. That part of
Anderson CO. just over the Greenville Co. line is probably best.

I still sometimes consider that upper part, of Anderson Co. part of Greenville Co. (just over the line) with less tax as Freebird mentioned

I'd like to, respectively, disagree with Simpsonville due to traffic/travel logistics...although it is a great little town/suburb of Greenville. While I agree it's close and nice, driving to Spartanburg will pit you through multiple problem zones everyday (unless you're working in the southern part of Spartanburg and can use smaller, 2-lane roads to access - which are an adventure by themselves...and definitely not the shortest routes!

If you're working in Spartanburg, you'll want easier access to I-85 and to avoid the most problematic "backup" areas in Greenville: the 385/85 junction, and 85 between Woodruff Rd/Pelham Road. For simply convenience, the Pelham Road area is a nice offering once you learn to avoid the inherent traffice problems of the Eastside. Once you work your way to the to 85 at Hwy 14, it's smooth sailing to Spartanburg (and the reverse).

My wife and I have had once had the same scenario with my office being in downtown Greenville, and she working in Spartanburg. We moved to Greenville 9 years ago south of 85 between Hwy 14 and Five Forks on Batesville Road. There's great neighborhoods all there with easy access to Five Forks, Pelham Road, and the dreaded Woodruff Road (once you know where not to get on!). If you're looking for schools, etc, there's much more I can help you with.

The north side of 85 along Batesville/Pelham also has a great collection of neighborhoods in a myriad of price points. My recommendation is connect with a good realtor/banker/investor in Greenville to give you a highlight of them all. What you'll find is Greenville's an incredible growing town with a ton going on....but for just "ease" of driving, the Eastside is a good recommendation. Other nice areas are the Augusta Road area and North Main district - but will add a little more "creativity" to your drive.

Let me know if I can do anything to help - long term Upstate native who's very involved in Greenville (not a realtor - no sales interest). And welcome to the Upstate!

*** Sorry, in full disclosure I didn't see your wife was going to be in Anderson - I'd probably get a feel more for your job flexibility and time at work before making a full recommendation. But overall, I can't imagine living in Anderson or Spartanburg over Greenville (and I grew up in one of those!)**
This post was edited on 3/19 4:52 PM by Verticle Rooster

my wife and i did exactly that for 2yrs.....i worked in anderson and she in spartanburg.....we lived in simpsonville in a subdivision called Dunwoody Oaks.....it took her about 45 minutes to get to work and me about an hr depending on traffic....my wife finally bit the bullet and got a job in anderson and life is much easier now for all us us, but we had a kid too

If I were in you shoes, i'd move to the Powderville area as previously mentioned. Better you take the " I-85 drive than your wife.

One thing I promise you, she will hate you if she has to drive many miles on I-85 each day... very dangerous highway

Move...

Although I have an Easley address, I live in Powdersville right off of HWY 153 (exit 40 on I-85). My house is in Anderson County, but the Pickens County line is about a 1/4 mile from where I live.

What I love about this area is that I can be on I-185 (the toll road) and on my way to Columbia or Charleston within minutes, or be on my way to Atlanta quickly without a lot of traffic. I can also be in the mountains mucho pronto for hiking.

It is getting a bit congested because of the popularity of this area, but well worth living here nonetheless. By the way, the Powdersville schools are very close to HWY 153.

Good luck wherever you land.

Narrow down all the great options listed above.
Bottom line after 41 years of marriage and several moves, let momma make the final decision on location and home. As they say, if momma is not happy, nobody .............

This post was edited on 3/19 5:47 PM by waytogo

This post was edited on 3/19 10:53 PM by waytogo

I live in the Easley area near Powdersville and would recommend that area too. Taxes are better (assuming you will be a homeowner) and the southern (Anderson) commute will be easier. Spartanburg 45 minutes and really depends where in Spartanburg. I lived in Simpsonville and the commute to Anderson would be more miserable. And depending where in Spartanburg, only marginally better. Columbia certainly closer from Simpsonville, but doubt you would be making that drive often enough to compensate for the other commutes. And, housing in Powdersville/Easley area will be about $10K cheaper for every $100K in house value as compared to Simpsonville. I've lived that fact.

The closer to downtown the better, jmo. Screw all those suburban towns. What are you looking for? Schools, work commute, etc etc?

Look at Fountain Inn....
Half is in Laurens County =lower taxes30 minutes to Dorman HS Hwy 221 exit of Spartanburg via Woodruff30 minutes to Hwy 29/Hwy 8 in Anderson area15 to 20 minutes to downtown Greenville

Thanks so much for all of the advice. I'm sure this will evolve over the next few weeks, but our current thinking is to be close to downtown Greenville or the Simpsonville area. I will be working at Spartanburg Regional while she will be at a clinic in Anderson. Other than the fact that we are leaving Columbia (I go to almost every football, basketball, and the occasional baseball game), I am really excited as I know Greenville has a lot to offer. Not sure if we are going to buy or rent yet. Also, we are pretty much just concerned about commute and environment of the neighborhood. No children yet or really anything else to worry about.

This post was edited on 3/20 9:42 AM by THEUSC4EVER

Interesting/odd how many people are talking about taxes. This is South Carolina. Unless you are on the coast, tax rates are going to be very favorable, compared to the rest of the nation, pretty much anywhere. Again, that's compared to large sections of the rest of the nation.

Thanks so much for all of the advice. I'm sure this will evolve over the next few weeks, but our current thinking is to be close to downtown Greenville or the Simpsonville area. I will be working at Spartanburg Regional while she will be at a clinic in Anderson. Other than the fact that we are leaving Columbia (I go to almost every football, basketball, and the occasional baseball game), I am really excited as I know Greenville has a lot to offer. Not sure if we are going to buy or rent yet. Also, we are pretty much just concerned about commute and environment of the neighborhood. No children yet or really anything else to worry about.

I would rent one year and get the feel of the area first, I live in Spartanburg, but if I were going to live in Greenville, it would be the Pelham Rd area. I-85 to B-85 to I-585 to Regional, really easy. Your wife will have the worst commute of the 2 though, but still not bad. If you moved to Powdersville, you both would have to deal with HWY 153 and its traffic.

I live between Pelham rd and hwy14 in Greer. Lots of nice neighborhoods and plenty new ones going up. I've lived in Simpsonville before and worked in Spartanburg atleast 40 45 min commute one way . From Greer which the county line runs through my neighborhood . We are about 15 min. From downtown Greenville and Spart. We love it.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I live between Pelham rd and hwy14 in Greer. Lots of nice neighborhoods and plenty new ones going up. I've lived in Simpsonville before and worked in Spartanburg atleast 40 45 min commute one way . From Greer which the county line runs through my neighborhood . We are about 15 min. From downtown Greenville and Spart. We love it.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

It may depend somewhat on where that clinic in Anderson is. It takes a little while to get to Anderson from I-85, so her commute may be a little longer time-wise than distance-wise. I would also recommend the Powdersville area as a reasonable compromise between the two.

I would also repeat the advise about renting a while first to "learn" the area. There are no shortage of great places to live in the upstate, but there are real differences in traffic patterns and the only way to learn them is to live there a while.

You both work in healthcare? If you rented for now, how hard would it be to find jobs in the same town within a year?

its tuff commuting like that....we did 2yrs....i was leaving for work at 630am to get to work on time at 745....traffic was fine in the mornings, cuz nobody was out.....afternoons always took longer.....my son was in kindergarten at the time and he had to go with me where i taught.....we were getting up at 515am......i miss simpsonville, but sure dont miss the traffic....at the time woodruff road was two lanes and a nightmare.....now its 4 lanes and even worse.....lots of very nice neighborhoods in the simpsonville area for the first time homebuyer at decent prices

Originally posted by freebird2001:

this...grew up in powdersville and it is right in the middle and you get lower taxes in Anderson county....I live in Simpsonville now and that wouldn't be a bad option you're just 25 minutes further from Anderson....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT