ADVERTISEMENT

OT What nit picking do you have?

When people use words that they just heard on TV, usually sports commentary. Words like gauntlet... try to be original.
This refers to an old military punishment in which one was forced to run between two lines of soldiers while being thrashed with rods or whips.

Running the gauntlet was considered far less of a dishonor than a beating (with exposure to ridicule), since one could "take it like a man" upright and among soldiers.

In some traditions, if the condemned was able to finish the run or cross the 55 yard line and exit the gauntlet at the far end, his faults would be deemed paid, and he would rejoin his comrades with a clean slate.

Are you kidding me?

My goodness!

Go Cocks!

Reactions: TheReelEss
This refers to an old military punishment in which one was forced to run between two lines of soldiers while being thrashed with rods or whips.

Running the gauntlet was considered far less of a dishonor than a beating (with exposure to ridicule), since one could "take it like a man" upright and among soldiers.

In some traditions, if the condemned was able to finish the run or cross the 55 yard line and exit the gauntlet at the far end, his faults would be deemed paid, and he would rejoin his comrades with a clean slate.

Are you kidding me?

My goodness!

Go Cocks!
Nick Sabin ending sentences with ah-ite (all right).

Are you kidding me?

My goodness!

Go Cocks!
I'm not sure many people know that when referring to an SEC schedule

When people turn their head to cough or sneeze, without covering their mouth. You can cover your nose and mouth without using your hands.

When people try to maneuver around others WITHOUT saying excuse me. If you let someone know you're trying to pass, they might make it easier and step aside....AND say excuse me verses "watch out."

When people walk across the street at an angle (diagonally), rather than straight (from one side to the next) not thinking you're in the street longer and don't even use the crosswalk.

When drivers speed up to cut you off at an exit, rather than merging behind.

When people are sitting outside of an establishment; waiting for a place to open and watch you walk right up to the door and pull on the LOCKED door...knowing they can just say, "it's not open yet." What makes it worse...I've greeted people as I walk by and they greet me in return, yet conveniently leave out the door is locked.

When everyone at a 4-way stop wants to let the OTHER person go first.

Lol...I have quite a few more.

When someone doesn't give a thank you wave or gesture when you do something nice for them in a car, like let them merge when you don't have to.

Also, when people say the got something for free. You don't get anything FOR free, you just get it FREE. You can't give someone free. It is not a currency.
I used to lift a finger up when passing a car on the road(not my middle one).I wave ,five a thumbs up,etc when me and another car meet at the same time somewhere.

The dropping of the "T" thing drives me nuts. It's evidently the new hip thing to do. I hear all sorts of people doing it.
I've been thinking of putting the letter "T" on a milk carton, since its gone missing.

Re: nitpicking (hopefully, none of you have had to pick real nits), but in the internet age, people who overanalyze or politically mischaracterize a perfectly innocent post drives me nuts. So do the people who always correct grammar or spelling mistakes.

Are you kidding me?

My goodness!

Go Cocks!
I have always thought that the American Indian tribes created the gauntlet.

Reactions: rogue cock
”let them merge when you don’t have to” ? That sounds like you own the space in front of your car and only you can give permission for others to use it. It sure makes it easier when your outlook is one of “ We are all in this together and please merge in front of me when you need to.” I learned a long time ago that being helpful is the way we should all drive. Nobody owes me anything for being a helpful driver. I drove about 50,000 miles annually for close to 40 years. I did not learn that lesson until I had gone about ten years.
What about when the sign on the interstate says “lane closed 1000 ft ahead”? You and others go ahead and work to merge and do so. But there’s always a few that have no interest to merging. They drive right up to where the lane ends and expect someone to let em in.

In those cases I will not let them in if I can help it. Just one thing on the road that upsets me.

In heavy traffic with a merge it goes quicker if people zipper (alternate the merge). In other words, zipper at the end. In light traffic, merge early. It’s a queuing math problem.

True but was referring to a gesture as an apology to doing something wrong, as in, cutting someone off and putting up a wave to say you are sorry and you realize that you were in the wrong. It calms down the situation if you acknowledge your stupid move.
I agree.

I think the "dumpster fire" metaphor is overused on sports forums. It's a nice metaphor for ridiculously chaotic situations and might be appropriately used to describe a few instances. But fans tend to use it every time a coach gets fired. Yes, the coach did a poor job and yes, your team is bad. But it's just an ordinary and routine level of bad. It's not a complete disaster or something a good coach can't turn around in a couple of years.

"helps smooth a mistake." Women don't make mistakes. It's your fault, not hers. Don't ever forget that!
aint that the truth, i was riding my bike in my neighborhood, a vehicle was approaching from behind me and my wife, we had a left hand turn coming up and we both signaled left with our arms (like your taught in drivers ed and other roadway awareness literature). well, as soon as we started our left turn, the lady tried to pass us. wife made it through as she was in front of me, i had to slam on the breaks, racked my nuts on the cross bar. i loudly asked “what the the hell are you doing?” she loudly stated out the window “i thought you were telling me to go around!” i then told her that this means i’m turning left, this means i’m turning right, this means i’m stopping. she drove off continued straight as i completed the left and was on my way with my wife, then she yelled “asshole!!” after getting about twenty yards down the street. unf***inbelievable.

Along those lines; The omission of “to be”. I peruse FB marketplace and CL a lot, just looking at stuff, seeing what’s out there . I consistently see that something “needs fixed” or “needs painted”, or “needs charged”; “needs TO BE fixed”. “Needs TO BE painted”. That just makes me cringe. The omission could, I suppose, be proper grammar, but it just doesn’t sound right to me. <shudder >
I think this comes from the Car Trader days when you had to describe as much as possible in a finite space.

I used to lift a finger up when passing a car on the road(not my middle one).I wave ,five a thumbs up,etc when me and another car meet at the same time somewhere.
I own a Jeep. I catch myself giving the "Jeep wave" to Jeep drivers when I'm not in mine.

Reactions: redrogers
For a while our son's applied the word AWESOME to everything, including the most mundane.
Thankfully those days seemed to have passed.

While shopping in a store, let's say big box hardware, and they are playing their ad /jingle over the PA.
I'm in here, I don't need any more convincing to shop in your store.

This is not a grammar one. But when you tell someone something and then they act as if their Google is broken. My cousin did this a while back. I said something in a text and she said "I don't know what that means." People remain willfully ignorant.

• Haha
Reactions: 92Pony
This is not a grammar one. But when you tell someone something and then they act as if their Google is broken. My cousin did this a while back. I said something in a text and she said "I don't know what that means." People remain willfully ignorant.
In defense of that, I resist the urge to google each and every thing. And I appreciate it when people simply inform me instead of saying "google is your friend." And sometimes I really don't care if there are some bits of minutia I don't know or are ignorant about.

Emails suggesting I buy the same product I recently bought from the same place. If I recently bought a blender, i dont need another blender.

Recent shrinking portions at restaurants, and prices creeping up...keep it up food & beverage folks and I'll just stay the heck home!

Recent shrinking portions at restaurants, and prices creeping up...keep it up food & beverage folks and I'll just stay the heck home!
Thank the economy, the worker shortage and subsequent supply chain interruptions and whoever's responsible for those. Businesses must remain profitable one way or another or cease to exist.

While I agree with your observation, its probably best to reduce the size of portions that restaurants were serving. There for a while, the portions were just too massive. Although, it did work pretty well when my wife and I would share a meal.

Thank the economy, the worker shortage and subsequent supply chain interruptions and whoever's responsible for those. Businesses must remain profitable one way or another or cease to exist.
Hey, I've had to deal w my own shrinking profit margins...but Im not in the position to pass it along to consumers

They’re over there with their friends.
& Wal Mart & people who can’t seem to get their car into the turning lane so the lane they almost vacated can keep progressing & when some stops to be polite and wave you through while the lane right beside them is still moving (378 by Lexington Middle School).

mmmmm I don’t want to keep focusing on the negative because this could turn into a novel

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT