ADVERTISEMENT

Players will be getting paid soon

Been getting paid.

mike-bellamy-money2-260x326.jpg

This will be the beginning of the end of major college football. It will evolve into a minor league for the NFL and have no affiliation with colleges and universities.

Nope, college football can still make billions, they just wont have to hide the illegal payments to players and the players will get their fair share and be taxed on the money....i just want it to be the end of the NCAA...If power 5 was smart, they'd break off from the NCAA.

Professional players, transfer portal, taking hard hits out of the game, night games on every work night, increased noon games on Saturdays, players not playing in bowl games, and tickets priced beyond the middle class's ability to pay. They are killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. I think we've already seen the apex of college football.

They already get paid a legal stipend. NCAA passed that several years ago. Scholarship stipends for incidentals range from 2-5000 dollars. If you would have told me that I could eat lavishly, sleep luxuriously, get my 80,000 worth of four years of academic work paid, and pocket a stipend for beer money, etc.. in college, I’d have been a very very happy football player.

Nope, college football can still make billions, they just wont have to hide the illegal payments to players and the players will get their fair share and be taxed on the money....i just want it to be the end of the NCAA...If power 5 was smart, they'd break off from the NCAA.
What you are describing is the end of major college football.

When college teams and their stadiums are in NFL pro cities, the stadiums are mostly empty on Saturdays
Not too many college football powers in NFL cities. And in most NFL cities, there are more fans of a nearby football power than fans of the local college team. LSU fans vs Tulane fans in New Orleans, OSU fans vs Cincy fans in Cincy, Michigan fans vs Wayne State fans in Detroit, UGA fans vs GT fans in Atlanta, Texas and A&M fans vs SMU fans in Dallas, UT fans vs Vandy fans in Nashville, Florida fans vs USF fans in Tampa, PSU fans vs Pitt fans in Pittsburgh, etc.

Reactions: RoosterBooster1
I believe the money earned through image rights, etc..is to be placed in a trust until the athlete leaves USC is what is being discussed in the bill being written.

Sad fact that here in mo,there is only one football team and its in kansas city and plays on Sunday. In 20 yrs ive heard one conversation about mizzou that wasnt on the radio. However talk about the chiefs is nonstop

All of this is the tip of the iceberg. Virtually every industry is being disrupted by technology. The universities themselves will begin to experience diminishing roles over the next 5-15 years due to AI and automation. This is a major focal point in Silicon Valley. Student Loans are at all time highs and there's more efficient (and effective) ways to learn.

What you are describing is the end of major college football.

Bar and restaurant owners once thought prohibiting smoking would destroy and end their business.... the guy who invented the wheel was laughed at... change happens and something is going to be done to pay the players, that will happen

That will be the end of college sports for a lot of us, including me. No longer would I spend any money on my university if they directly pay players, as it would be a minor league. If that passes, let whoever votes for it be responsible for coming up with the money. I would still watch, but I would quit going to the games, no more parking, no more concessions, no more T-shirts, etc. That would cause such a distraction for the ones making the big bucks, jealousy/conflict among those who wouldn`t get extra $$, etc. And the ones making big bucks would likely make that their priority(couldn`t blame them) instead of being a student. I know, I`m not stupid, a lot of them are there already. Instead of ruining the college programs, someone just needs to come up with minor leagues for football, and let the guys who want to play in it skip college, just like baseball, etc. I know, it`s not the same but they will ruin college sports if this is enacted.

Bar and restaurant owners once thought prohibiting smoking would destroy and end their business.... the guy who invented the wheel was laughed at... change happens and something is going to be done to pay the players, that will happen
Yep. And a good player will transfer to a school where he can make the big money.

Reactions: ulysses5
It will be hilarious when the billionaire/multi-millionaire Harvard alumni pool together more money for endorsements than an NFL salary cap in order to get a bunch of ringers, and beat down the likes of Alabama and Clemson. Why the hell not? Revenge of the nerds part football.

Reactions: ulysses5
All of this is the tip of the iceberg. Virtually every industry is being disrupted by technology. The universities themselves will begin to experience diminishing roles over the next 5-15 years due to AI and automation. This is a major focal point in Silicon Valley. Student Loans are at all time highs and there's more efficient (and effective) ways to learn.
Insert Andrew Yang gif

Reactions: Wiles2
This bill doesn't make sense. The schools don't need a law to permit them to pay $5,000. They can legally do that now. No South Carolina law prohibits it. The schools don't do that because they would have to forfeit games under NCAA rules. Nothing about this law permitting payment changes that. The reason the California bill is such a big deal is it stops the schools from interfering with endorsement payments to players from third parties. Potentially causing USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford and other smaller Cali schools to forfeit games if they play those players. Since the law prohibits them from taking action against the players, theorectically the NCAA may take action against those schools. Just like it will SC and Clemson if this passes (assuming it applies to Clemson too). These guys may give Alabama back the national championship as Clemson gets disqualified by this legislative action. I know y'all are sick of Clemson winning, this may kill that. All this assumes the NCAA doesn't buckle to pressure.

Reactions: rogue cock
If the NFL and NBA would just allow these players to enter the draft whenever they want, it would be helpful. Then the NCAA could say “look, if you want to get paid and have sponsors, go ahead. But if you want to remain in college, you have to be an amateur (or at least this current version we have now).”

Let pros be pros and student athletes be student athletes, no matter how old they are.

If the NFL and NBA would just allow these players to enter the draft whenever they want, it would be helpful. Then the NCAA could say “look, if you want to get paid and have sponsors, go ahead. But if you want to remain in college, you have to be an amateur (or at least this current version we have now).”

Let pros be pros and student athletes be student athletes, no matter how old they are.
This. I still say any player wanting payment should have to forfeit their scholarship and pay their own way in school. $60K+ a year will be very expensive if they wish to remain on the team. And academic standards should be more strictly enforced. Make the person an independent contractor, with stipulations on academic performance. Push out all the idiot divas and get in STUDENT athletes who want to play and learn.

This. I still say any player wanting payment should have to forfeit their scholarship and pay their own way in school. $60K+ a year will be very expensive if they wish to remain on the team. And academic standards should be more strictly enforced. Make the person an independent contractor, with stipulations on academic performance. Push out all the idiot divas and get in STUDENT athletes who want to play and learn.

Considering the cost of tuition/room/board of $27,062 for in-state and $47,162 for out-of-state and the breakdown of the football team, it comes to a cost to the University of right at $4 million/year. Just for the football team. This does not even take into account all the extra perks student athletes, particularly football players, get. I agree with your sentiment that any consideration of paying players has to take into account what the University is already giving them.

and it's about time. The NCAA have gotten fat on their backs for long enough.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...arolina-Gamecocks-Dabo-Swinney-135677398/Amp/

I have heard that same statement a few times. It is absolutely WRONG. if you believe it you are misinformed. Ours and our rivals have been filling up their stadiums since the 50’s. College provides a few player a showcase from which to move into professional football. Why do the players dream of playing for GA or Bama if they are so put upon? Do you think they are tricked into performing? The 10% who have a pro career should not go to college. Maybe the NFL can establish farm teams where players are paid. When we start paying the players the game, as we know it, will be gone. The system is not broken. Why fix it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT