ADVERTISEMENT

Potential top 10 NFL Prospect Christian Wilkins turns down $$$ millions, decides to stay at Clemson

I recently read there was concern over him being a tweener in the NFL, not quite the dominate force they need at DT but not going to be explosive enough to play DE.

Honestly there is probably something to this. Wilkins kept his weight down a little (300-ish) to be able to play both DT and DE. I think this year he'll be able to go full-on DT and put a little more weight on, with both Bryant and Ferrell coming back, and some younger talent coming in and off of RS.

Actually, I doubt any coaches were "begging" him to come back. I believe the real reason is the uncertainty on his draft position. He is very athletic but too big for a DE and too small for DT. So if he can add muscle and improve is technique he can improve his draft position. Right now realistically he is a second rounder. Thats a big difference in money if he can move up to the first round per Business Insider
"Last year's top pick, Jared Goff, signed a contract worth $27.9 million, while the 12th pick received less than half of that at 12.8 million. In addition, only players in the first round received contracts that were at least 70% guaranteed.

Things really drop in the second round, where the average contract was worth about $5.1 million over four years ($1.3 million per year), according to Spotrac.com, but with only half of that guaranteed. The value of third-round contracts drops to $3.3 million, but takes an even bigger hit in guaranteed value, with the average contract worth just $756,000 in guaranteed money."

I could care less if he had left. I'd still pull for Clemson just like you guys pulled for USC when Clowney left.
And I come here to talk football, just like I do every day with my Gamecock and Tiger friends. If you dont want my input just ignore me. Its easy.
You made a good point. I agree some what

It is what it is, many won’t believe the real reason that they decide to stay and be part of the program, so I choose to have fun with it.

Dabo has built a monster of a program. i do not know how long it will last , but it has sure been a fun ride so far.
Won't last too much longer. Lot's of competition that wasn't present three years ago. Another thing, Clemson is overstocked with Prima Donnas and soon as they loose their sex appeal to Dabo and his staff, they will start the trail out of Pickens County Fun Park.

They probably aren't cheating now because they don't need to. However, make no mistake they started cheating like the late 70s and early 80s when USC beat tem 3 in a row. It continued through year 4 and 5. So one or later they will slip up and a player will turn on them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT