ADVERTISEMENT

Potential top 10 NFL Prospect Christian Wilkins turns down $$$ millions, decides to stay at Clemson

We had to work up to the deadline to rework our Rookie QBs deal, and added another love offering at New Spring. I think the thing that put it over the top was saying we would find a way to get him a nice low mileage new car , and his dad a car wash deal.
Probably every bit true.

Like Zion Williams, why would he even consider Clemson, when the basketball team have not had a good season for over 20 years. This is the best year they have had since the 80s.
Why would his parents let their son go to Clemson over Kentucky or NC State, big schools that have multiple championship. O, either Clemson fans going to his high school begging or someone, under the table. Hmmmmm$

..............who?

That is a fair comment. However (1) when a thread is about Clemson, expect Clemson responses and (2) staff hires are not huge news outside the Univ. You dont care, for instance, that Jeff Davis is on the Clemson staff. Its a common practice, something an SC fan should like, but not news to anyone else.

But sure, having said that, it should be a great move by SC. Marcus is a great person, and should add a lot to the University in several ways. Great move, and overdue.

But if you want to talk about field coaches, sure, a fun subject. For instance, it seems to me that SC is putting together a good staff on the defensive side of the ball. On offense, the deal to get Jake might be hamstringing SC more than Jake is worth. On one hand, dad is not a rising coach, being passed over in the latest shuffle, but on the other hand Muschamp cant afford to piss off either son or dad. It seems to have left Muschamp without maneuvering room on that side of the ball, and it might have affected recruiting. None of that is criticism, and in his first yeat he had to make some moves like that. Just saying it looks unwieldy two years later.

Clemson has potential issues too. D looks fine. But two young guys as OC cant last forever. If you ask CU fans, they will say the next head coach should be Elliott (as if they know, but its a good take). But that also makes him the first person someone else comes looking for. Is there another OC on the staff?

Lattimore’s hiring was all over ESPN for a couple of days and he was also a guest on several National programs after the announcement. It’s probably not as big of a deal nationally as it is in the SEC.

The deal to get Jake? That’s BS... Bobby was a legendary SC high school coach and also worked on staff with Muschamp at Auburn. Bobby’s recruiting ties in the state will help sign many more players than just his son. Our co-offensive coordinator was promoted to FT coordinator so I wouldn’t say that Bobby got passed over for a promotion. Muschamp has also stated that the entire offensive staff will have much more input going forward so Bobby will be much more involved in the offense. How has Bobby on staff hurt us in recruiting? USC’s class will be ranked somewhere around the top 15 in the country, with a 4 star QB and 2 high 3 star RB’s.

Funny you mention Lattimore. I saw that news the other day and it made me smile (I havent smiled much since Bama kicked our butt). He is going to be a fantastic addition to your program. I really like the position they are placing him in. Any parent would be happy to know someone of his caliber was helping their child become a successful man. I just think its crazy they couldnt hire him last year because of his ties to some football camps or something like that.

If I recall correctly, the NCAA in it’s wisdom said that ML could not run his football camps ... AND ... be on the USC staff because that would provide USC with too great of a recruiting advantage. They now say that he can still have his camps, but he cannot be present for any part of them while in his USC position.

I don’t really understand this, but surely he can be present for Will Muschamp football camps or USC football camps while on staff at USC. What difference does the name of the camp make? Is it the fact that Marcus Lattimore receives the profits from his own football camps ... AND ... promotes USC?

Tajh Boyd let Dabo get in his head and it most likely cost him millions of dollars.

IIRC, Dabo even tried talking Sammy into coming back.

He advised Hopkins to stay too, but Hopkins did not drink the Kool-Aid. Hopkins went on to be a first round draft pick. Had he opted to stay at Clemson, who knows what might have happened. His draft stock would not have been any better than it turned out in reality for him going ahead to the NFL.

Lattimore’s hiring was all over ESPN for a couple of days and he was also a guest on several National programs after the announcement. It’s probably not as big of a deal nationally as it is in the SEC.

The deal to get Jake? That’s BS... Bobby was a legendary SC high school coach and also worked on staff with Muschamp at Auburn. Bobby’s recruiting ties in the state will help sign many more players than just his son. Our co-offensive coordinator was promoted to FT coordinator so I wouldn’t say that Bobby got passed over for a promotion. Muschamp has also stated that the entire offensive staff will have much more input going forward so Bobby will be much more involved in the offense. How has Bobby on staff hurt us in recruiting? USC’s class will be ranked somewhere around the top 15 in the country, with a 4 star QB and 2 high 3 star RB’s.

That is not the general take on Bobby, but we'll see. QB recruiting has been a problem ever since the twofer Bentely thing happened. Without Bentley there was not another QB on the board, and hasn't been until Jake finished his sophomore year.

I am not saying it was a bad move. Where would SC be had Muschamp not offered Bobby the job? Sure, you do it. But if a Connor Shaw is already on campus, do you do it? I can't see it. It seems to be a situation Muschamp has to work through rather than capitalize on. Do it again? Yes. Want to get out from under it? Yes.

I am a tad antsy about Jake Venables at CU for the same reasons. There are enough LB spots that it likely won't be an issue in any event, but if Jake is good-not-great, and gets significant playing time early, I'm wondering what a 5 star HS LB is thinking. If Jake is a Boulware type player, or doesn't play at all, no issue. The opposite situation could influence a recruit, maybe.

If I were to be a millionaire, I’d leave every time. But that is me. The chances of injury or unknowns are too risky for me.

But I am not in that position.

Actually, I doubt any coaches were "begging" him to come back. I believe the real reason is the uncertainty on his draft position. He is very athletic but too big for a DE and too small for DT. So if he can add muscle and improve is technique he can improve his draft position. Right now realistically he is a second rounder. Thats a big difference in money if he can move up to the first round per Business Insider
"Last year's top pick, Jared Goff, signed a contract worth $27.9 million, while the 12th pick received less than half of that at 12.8 million. In addition, only players in the first round received contracts that were at least 70% guaranteed.

Things really drop in the second round, where the average contract was worth about $5.1 million over four years ($1.3 million per year), according to Spotrac.com, but with only half of that guaranteed. The value of third-round contracts drops to $3.3 million, but takes an even bigger hit in guaranteed value, with the average contract worth just $756,000 in guaranteed money."

I could care less if he had left. I'd still pull for Clemson just like you guys pulled for USC when Clowney left.
And I come here to talk football, just like I do every day with my Gamecock and Tiger friends. If you dont want my input just ignore me. Its easy.

I tend to get called a tater troll so take it for what its worth, but Wilkins is a different type of dude.

A 2nd/3rd round grade was trumped by the relationships he has on the DL, love for college, and how upset he was after the sugar bowl. Not announcing saturday with Ferrell & Bryant at the banqet clearly showed he thought about this till the last possible minute.

As i've said before, I grew up in a gamecock family and went to clemson where I was in a position to know a lot of the players. Those of you suggesting wilkins got benefits in any way for coming back are the reason why I have a really hard time still pulling for carolina when they arent playing clemson.

2nd / 3rd round grade for Wilkins... what kind of BS is that

wilkins is a heck of an athlete but another year of putting up #'s and playing in a down ACC will go a long way. take a look a clemsons schedule... every team is on a down year and FSU is going to be going through growing pains with a new coach. Throw in the fact that there is depth at DL, they're going to put up absurd numbers.

What these players do not realize is that the disability policies that they get are not set up to payout easily. According to Marcus Lattimore, his policy only paid out about 30% of the benefit amount even with his catastrophic injury. Why? Because he rehabed and attempted to play football again, getting paid by the 49’s. We all know how that turned out. I surmize that the only way he would have collected the entire payout (whatever that sum) would have been if the doctors emphatically stated he could not ever play or attempt to play again. Even then it depends on what the financial loss is determined to be.

So, this notion that these players agree to come back for their 4th year in an attempt to improve their draft stock for a bigger pay day is silly unless they project in the mid to late rounds. Few are going to have the disastrous injury like Marcus. They’re going to have the torn ACL type injuries or broken bones which will kill their draft potential, but will not necessarily keep them from getting drafted or signing as a free agent. Once they rehab, and start attempting to play ball (getting paid), that’s likely the end of their insurance pot of gold. So they keep following their dream, only to find that it’s never gonna come true, because the injury they sustained has set them back too far, or they recover, but end up reinjuring themselves, and they missed their opportunity to get a big pay day by allowing themselves to get talked into playing another year for their beloved coach and school who told them they had an insurance policy to make them whole just in case.

Tajh Boyd let Dabo get in his head and it most likely cost him millions of dollars.

IIRC, Dabo even tried talking Sammy into coming back.

Tajh knew he was going to be no higher than a third round pick. He can't read defenses and didn't have the arm strength. He was told that by scouts. Coming back didn't cost him that much. He was no more a first round draft pick than PJ Dozier

Reactions: FJRTiger
I tend to get called a tater troll so take it for what its worth, but Wilkins is a different type of dude.

A 2nd/3rd round grade was trumped by the relationships he has on the DL, love for college, and how upset he was after the sugar bowl. Not announcing saturday with Ferrell & Bryant at the banqet clearly showed he thought about this till the last possible minute.

As i've said before, I grew up in a gamecock family and went to clemson where I was in a position to know a lot of the players. Those of you suggesting wilkins got benefits in any way for coming back are the reason why I have a really hard time still pulling for carolina when they arent playing clemson.

Just stop it

People fail to realize your body only has a certain number of years to hold up while playing football. So if typically you're physically unable to play at say 30, why would you waste a year playing college when you could be earning big bucks in the NFL. I'd advise every kid who has the talent to make an NFL roster to leave after the 3 years required in college. Leaving college early also gets you to free agency (where the real money is made) a year sooner. Just ask Jadaveon if he is sorry he left after his junior year with the mega deal he just signed or Alshon would be another one to ask. Wilkins is either a fool or is getting paid lots of dollars to stay.

What is sad is they have a history of 1st round picks that come back for their senior years and we have a history of guys who might have and outside chance at a practice squad leave early . Sucks

wilkins is a heck of an athlete but another year of putting up #'s and playing in a down ACC will go a long way. take a look a clemsons schedule... every team is on a down year and FSU is going to be going through growing pains with a new coach. Throw in the fact that there is depth at DL, they're going to put up absurd numbers.
NFL people are beyond looking at numbers when making draft selections. Any reasonably intelligent person would be. No player is going to stay for an extra year, pad stats, and fool anyone. He may go higher based on getting bigger or stronger or showing scouts something they haven't seen before, but stats against teams that are down, as you say, won't do it.

Not sure who started this thread, but I never heard anyone, much less anyone with any credibility, who had Wilkins as a top 10 pick. In fact over the last couple of weeks heard the analyst slot him as a possible top 32 pick. Just depending on whether teams had DL as their priority near bottom of first round.

Not sure who started this thread, but I never heard anyone, much less anyone with any credibility, who had Wilkins as a top 10 pick. In fact over the last couple of weeks heard the analyst slot him as a possible top 32 pick. Just depending on whether teams had DL as their priority near bottom of first round.
I recently read there was concern over him being a tweener in the NFL, not quite the dominate force they need at DT but not going to be explosive enough to play DE.

Your 6th post and people "tend to call you a tater troll". That's unbelievable after the trouble you went to making that Marcus Lattimore avatar. I think everybody can agree though, Clemson fans, Gamecock fans, Ohio State running backs: Christian Wilkins is a "different type of dude".

Your 6th post and people "tend to call you a tater troll". That's unbelievable after the trouble you went to making that Marcus Lattimore avatar. I think everybody can agree though, Clemson fans, Gamecock fans, Ohio State running backs: Christian Wilkins is a "different type of dude".

Not sure where the confusion is. Already said I grew up a Carolina fan but went to Clemson in a training capacity so I got to know a lot of the players.

My 6th post because I created an account a week ago after reading through the garbage being posted and felt the need to contribute.

Have much better things to do with my time then post pro Clemson threads. I was just bothered by the fact that people are trying to take shots at Wilkin' s character because he simply decided to stay for his senior year.

Reactions: flyfisher29640
Not sure where the confusion is. Already said I grew up a Carolina fan but went to Clemson in a training capacity so I got to know a lot of the players.

My 6th post because I created an account a week ago after reading through the garbage being posted and felt the need to contribute.

Have much better things to do with my time then post pro Clemson threads. I was just bothered by the fact that people are trying to take shots at Wilkin' s character because he simply decided to stay for his senior year.

Garbage ? Like what you posted earlier ?

We don't give a crap if you pull for us or not.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Amazing how the house taters try to defend Dabo when they get their news from tiger net.
Snowflakes need to run back over to their koolaid media.

Btw. Here’s another famous Dabo move that cost one of his players millions. Convinced the kid he was an NFL QB. Lol. Silly taters believe everything the guy says.

CLEMSON -- Kyle Parker was throwing the ball so well during Wednesday's practice, Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney told the sophomore quarterback he looked like Minnesota Vikings great Fran Tarkenton.

Reactions: funktavious

You made your choice. We all have good reason for thinking Clemson is up to no good. Use some of that orange education you paid for, and read the NCAA reports on Clemson. Oh and BTW ... Nobody here cares whether you pull for the Gamecocks or not.

Reactions: Lakecock1
never in my days have i seen so many taters masquerading as Gamecocks fans
Dabo pays them and for the membership to this site. This is the only media site in the state that Clemson gets negative facts covered in print with high viewership so the FAKE FANS flock here in droves with BS spin to counter truthful fact.

Dabo pushes that BS on them as soon as they step on campus. He's telling them how committed to the team everyone is and makes them feel like if they leave they are abandoning their team. There is a lot of pressure on guys to stick around up there. He's even said in interviews that kids should stay for their full 4 years of college. He feels like when a school offers them that scholarship they are owned by that school and him. He doesn't have the kids best interest at heart, only his success. He sells it well though.

Heard he is after a second NC ring.
That won't happen. Same scheme, same coaches, same beatdown against good teams.

Your best player in Sugar Bowl was Deon Cain. All other offensive players did not show up. Tee Higgens did not have a catch and was injured and on crutches on the sideline. Was the injury as serious as it looked?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT