ADVERTISEMENT

President...

They certainly are, but should NEVER be given higher consideration because of their race or sex to to appease people crying the loudest. The most qualified person should get the job

The guy currently being pushed by the Governor (and thus the alive and kicking SC good ole boy network) doesn't even have a doctorate degree which is stated by the university as a requirement for the position.

Most are upset about this choice exactly for that reason......this candidate does not meet the requirements needed for the position.

There are 22 members of the UofSC Board of Trustees. 21 are white and 1 is a person of color. 18 are men and 3 are women. This is shameful. The university student body is almost 54% female! No one should be surprised this group did not review a diverse group of candidates.

Maybe this whole story will shine a light on the shameful lack of diversity on the UofSC board. This is a brazen power move by the Gov of SC and the UofSC board should shut him down. If they move forward and vote this guy in, this move will prove to be a disaster for the school.

Class of '92

The guy currently being pushed by the Governor (and thus the alive and kicking SC good ole boy network) doesn't even have a doctorate degree which is stated by the university as a requirement for the position.

Most are upset about this choice exactly for that reason......this candidate does not meet the requirements needed for the position.

There are 22 members of the UofSC Board of Trustees. 21 are white and 1 is a person of color. 18 are men and 3 are women. This is shameful. The university student body is almost 54% female! No one should be surprised this group did not review a diverse group of candidates.

Maybe this whole story will shine a light on the shameful lack of diversity on the UofSC board. This is a brazen power move by the Gov of SC and the UofSC board should shut him down. If they move forward and vote this guy in, this move will prove to be a disaster for the school.

Class of '92

On the other hand, if the BOT chooses a progressive/liberal for the simple purpose of doing so (in HR we called it 'getting your numbers up') then the other side will acquiesce silently with heads bowed, right? LOL! Yeah, right! It won't be pretty, believe me. A lefty Prez at SC will create a mountain of problems. Choose a center/right or center/left person, but don't overindulge yourselves.

Reactions: okccock
So if a highly qualified Black women applies but has no doctorate degree and gets turned down for the job-that's OK right?

Donald Russell did not hold a PhD when he was President of USC. Terry Sanford did not hold a terminal degree when he was President of Duke.

Last edited:
Reactions: TaterTater
Donald Russell did not hold a PhD when he was President of USC. Terry Sanford did not hold a terminal degree when he was President of Duke.

Do you know how those jobs were advertised? Our job was advertised as requiring the PhD. To hire someone without it is illegal. Whether other schools require that credential or not is irrelevant. Things were not the same in the 1950s and 60s either. Surely you must understand that. Perhaps you want 1950s medical technology for your health concerns.

Last edited:

Class of '92
You realize there is more to diversity than just looks?

Do you know how those jobs were advertised? Our job was advertised as requiring the PhD. To hire someone without it is illegal. Whether other schools require that credential or not is irrelevant. Things were not the same in the 1950s and 60s either. Surely you must understand that. Perhaps you want 1950s medical technology for your health concerns.
I was just stating a fact. I was not recommending anything. I was merely responding to a post I saw. You must need a construction crane to mount that high horse you seemingly ride every day.

Reactions: Carolina86
I was just stating a fact. I was not recommending anything. I was merely responding to a post I saw. You must need a construction crane to mount that high horse you seemingly ride every day.

Seriously? You keep posting about a subject that you have absolutely no experience with nor knowledge of. With 24,000+ posts have you ever considered listening more and talking less?

You realize there is more to diversity than just looks?

Absolutely I do. There are many elements to diversity. But I also must ask you....you realize gender and ethnicity is a significant part of diversity, right?

On the other hand, if the BOT chooses a progressive/liberal for the simple purpose of doing so (in HR we called it 'getting your numbers up') then the other side will acquiesce silently with heads bowed, right? LOL! Yeah, right! It won't be pretty, believe me. A lefty Prez at SC will create a mountain of problems. Choose a center/right or center/left person, but don't overindulge yourselves.

Hmmm...trying to be nice here....but what in the world are you talking about?? I assume by your use of terms like progressive and liberal you are making references to someone's political leanings?? That had nothing to do with my post. Fact is the USC board does not accurately represent the current makeup of the USC community.....students, facutly and staff. That is a shame. And the group of people considered to lead this communtiy should more accurately reflect the community he/she is being chosen to lead.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCBlueFan
Sigh. Never try to reason with an unreasonable person.

I know why you won’t answer the question. I suspect everyone else does too.
I suspect you don't. If the conversation weren't hopelessly broken, I would. I will answer your earlier question. I attended the university for two years in the late 1960s. Because of some life choices I made at the time, I wound up not receiving my degree in business management until years later, from Limestone College, while working full-time.

I suspect you don't. If the conversation weren't hopelessly broken, I would. I will answer your earlier question. I attended the university for two years in the late 1960s. Because of some life choices I made at the time, I wound up not receiving my degree in business management until years later, from Limestone College, while working full-time.

Good for you. I have a dear friend who teaches at Limestone.

However, having that degree gives you as much understanding of how academia works administratively as I have for making paper because I use paper daily in my work. How would you react if I told you I knew more about that subject than you? Serious question.

Reactions: USC2USC
Good for you. I have a dear friend who teaches at Limestone.

However, having that degree gives you as much understanding of how academia works administratively as I have for making paper because I use paper daily in my work. How would you react if I told you I knew more about that subject than you? Serious question.
It wouldn't bother me. I'm secure in what I know.

It wouldn't bother me. I'm secure in what I know.

As am I. My issue in this thread is when someone who doesn't understand academia tries to direct the conversation as to what would be the best way to run it. It's foolish, and yet you just can't help yourself...and with that, I'm out. No more from me on this.

As am I. My issue in this thread is when someone who doesn't understand academia tries to direct the conversation as to what would be the best way to run it. It's foolish, and yet you just can't help yourself...and with that, I'm out. No more from me on this.

Those are called keyboar warriors. The keyboard encourages folks to share their opinions about literally everything.....even subjects they know little to nothing about.

Absolutely I do. There are many elements to diversity. But I also must ask you....you realize gender and ethnicity is a significant part of diversity, right?
Isn't more important to have diverse ideas than people that look different but think the same, i.e. substance over style?

Isn't more important to have diverse ideas than people that look different but think the same, i.e. substance over style?

Those two things tend to go hand in glove. They are not mutually exclusive, and the chances of having diversity in the thinking process increases substantially with a group of people who are diverse ethnically and in gender. To desire a board of trustees which is as diverse as the population it represents shouldn't be threatening to you or anyone else.

We have neither on our board. We have a lot of political cronies, most all look the same and many think the same. We also have a bunch that have been there for 18+ years. That’s ridiculous.

Over half the student body is female yet we have 2 women on the board. That’s also ridiculous. Is anyone dumb enough to suggest that only 2 women are qualified and want to be on our board?

I have 2 sons and a daughter. When my daughter is there, I’d like to have a board that at least partially looks a bit like her instead of a group of 70+ year old men.

We’ve graduated thousands of wonderfully qualified and highly accomplished professional women over the last 3 decades. I think if we didn’t have a screwed up system, several of them would be terrific board members.

Last edited:
Those two things tend to go hand in glove. They are not mutually exclusive, and the chances of having diversity in the thinking process increases substantially with a group of people who are diverse ethnically and in gender. To desire a board of trustees which is as diverse as the population it represents shouldn't be threatening to you or anyone else.
Not really

We have neither on our board. We have a lot of political cronies, most all look the same and many think the same. We also have a bunch that have been there for 18+ years. That’s ridiculous.
Probably true.

If you want some additional perspective on how screwed up our search committee was, contrast the composition of the committees for our search and the parallel Chancellor search at UT-K. It's not at all hard to see why things went so sideways when there was virtually no one on our committee with substantive knowledge about such searches, the roles and responsibilities of a president, or even the administrative functioning and 'visioning' of a modern R1 university. No deans; just 1 endowed chair; few faculty members (and 1 was an associate professor); and just 1 staff member (sort of). No shortage of Trustees, though. Little diversity of any kind. It was set up to be political, and we got the result that might have been expected:

UT-K Chancellor Search Committee:
Keith Carver (Chair)
: Chancellor, UT Martin; Misty Anderson: Faculty Senate President and Lindsay Young Professor of English, UT-K; Chip Bryant: Vice Chancellor for Advancement, UT-K; Mark Dean: Interim Dean of the Tickle College of Engineering, UT-K; Bill Fox: Randy and Jenny Boyd Distinguished Professor and Director of the Boyd Center for Business and Economic Research, UT-K; Ovi Kabir: Student Government Association President, UT-K; Amy Miles: UT Board of Trustees Member/Chair of the Audit and Compliance Committee; Donnie Smith: Board of Trustees Member/Chair of the Education, Research, and Service Committee; Michael Smith-Porter: Project coordinator, Student Recruitment, UT-K; Cara Sulyok: Graduate Student Senate President, UT-K; Thomas Zacharia: Director, Oak Ridge National Laboratory

USC President Search Committee
Hubert F. Mobley
: Trustee, 6th Judicial Circuit (Search Committee Chair);
William C. Hubbard: Trustee, 5th Judicial Circuit; Leah B. Moody: Trustee, 16th Judicial Circuit; C. Dorn Smith III: Trustee, 3rd Judicial Circuit; Eugene P. Warr, Jr.: Trustee, 4th Judicial Circuit; Marco Valtorta: USC Columbia Faculty Senate Chair, Professor, College of Engineering and Computing; Julius Fridriksson: Professor and Smart State Chair, Arnold School of Public Health; Araceli Hernandez-Laroche: Associate Professor, College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, USC Upstate; Taylor Wright: USC Columbia Student Government President; Robert F. Dozier, Jr.: Trustee, USC Alumni Association President; William C. “W.C.” Hammett, Jr.: USC Foundations; Mark W. Buyck, Jr.: Trustee, Gubernatorial Designee; Miles Loadholt – Trustee, 2nd Judicial Circuit

If you want some additional perspective on how screwed up our search committee was, contrast the composition of the committees for our search and the parallel Chancellor search at UT-K. It's not at all hard to see why things went so sideways when there was virtually no one on our committee with substantive knowledge about such searches, the roles and responsibilities of a president, or even the administrative functioning and 'visioning' of a modern R1 university. No deans; just 1 endowed chair; few faculty members (and 1 was an associate professor); and just 1 staff member (sort of). No shortage of Trustees, though. Little diversity of any kind. It was set up to be political, and we got the result that might have been expected:

UT-K Chancellor Search Committee:
Keith Carver (Chair)
: Chancellor, UT Martin; Misty Anderson: Faculty Senate President and Lindsay Young Professor of English, UT-K; Chip Bryant: Vice Chancellor for Advancement, UT-K; Mark Dean: Interim Dean of the Tickle College of Engineering, UT-K; Bill Fox: Randy and Jenny Boyd Distinguished Professor and Director of the Boyd Center for Business and Economic Research, UT-K; Ovi Kabir: Student Government Association President, UT-K; Amy Miles: UT Board of Trustees Member/Chair of the Audit and Compliance Committee; Donnie Smith: Board of Trustees Member/Chair of the Education, Research, and Service Committee; Michael Smith-Porter: Project coordinator, Student Recruitment, UT-K; Cara Sulyok: Graduate Student Senate President, UT-K; Thomas Zacharia: Director, Oak Ridge National Laboratory

USC President Search Committee
Hubert F. Mobley
: Trustee, 6th Judicial Circuit (Search Committee Chair);
William C. Hubbard: Trustee, 5th Judicial Circuit; Leah B. Moody: Trustee, 16th Judicial Circuit; C. Dorn Smith III: Trustee, 3rd Judicial Circuit; Eugene P. Warr, Jr.: Trustee, 4th Judicial Circuit; Marco Valtorta: USC Columbia Faculty Senate Chair, Professor, College of Engineering and Computing; Julius Fridriksson: Professor and Smart State Chair, Arnold School of Public Health; Araceli Hernandez-Laroche: Associate Professor, College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, USC Upstate; Taylor Wright: USC Columbia Student Government President; Robert F. Dozier, Jr.: Trustee, USC Alumni Association President; William C. “W.C.” Hammett, Jr.: USC Foundations; Mark W. Buyck, Jr.: Trustee, Gubernatorial Designee; Miles Loadholt – Trustee, 2nd Judicial Circuit
This effectively sums up how f*cked up this search has been conducted.

How many students were at USC when Donald Russell was President and what level research institution were we? Was USC even integrated when he was President?

With all due respect King, if a PhD was not a requirement for the position at that time, your examples do not pertain to this situation.
I would refer you to the first part of what I said in post #89. The final sentence does not apply to you since our relationship has always been good. I hope it always will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: USCBatgirl21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT