ADVERTISEMENT

Ray Tanner on 107.5

cockymom2boys

Dec 28, 2000
Jay asked Ray his thoughts on the Mike Bobo departure. I think Jay did a good job asking the question. Jay stated that he thought Bobo had double crossed Coach Beamer and asked Ray his thoughts. Ray's 1st comment?
"I like Coach Bobo."
Who cares Ray? I understand Coach Tanner is the AD and has to be polite but who cares if he likes Bobo? Not me. That had nothing to do with the question.

Jay asked Ray his thoughts on the Mike Bobo departure. I think Jay did a good job asking the question. Jay stated that he thought Bobo had double crossed Coach Beamer and asked Ray his thoughts. Ray's 1st comment?
"I like Coach Bobo."
Who cares Ray? I understand Coach Tanner is the AD and has to be polite but who cares if he likes Bobo? Not me. That had nothing to do with the question.

What else did he say?

"I like Coach Bobo."
Exactly, F BOBO!! Hope we whoop that ass this year!!!

"I like Coach Bobo."

One thing you can count on. ......Ray Tanner will never make a negative comment about another coach....even when it is warranted and maybe even needed. Just another reason to never hire a former coach as AD again. Ever.

One thing you can count on. ......Ray Tanner will never make a negative comment about another coach....even when it is warranted and maybe even needed. Just another reason to never hire a former coach as AD again. Ever.
I don't want an AD that insults or nitpicks coaches on a talk show. Behind closed doors is different, but there is no downside to being civil, polite and diplomatic when speaking publicly.

There are also legal reasons not to. I never say anything derogatory about a former employee. If you do, hire an attorney and be prepared to pay some money.

Why should he publicly slam a coach?

He gave a professional answer, obviously many of you here don’t understand professionalism.

Coaches tend to move fairly frequently moving up the ladder. Every coach we’ve hired has, guess what.....left a job to come here.

Bobo left because he was given an $800,000 per year raise. People on this board have left jobs for a .50/hr raise.

I don't think Coach Tanner should speak rudely about Bobo.
But neither do I think it matters if Ray "likes" Bobo.
And I think it is ok to have a professional opinion.

Reactions: Cockiest2001
Magoo didn’t cry?

So unprofessional of him! Lol.

Every time he talks, he sounds like a bumpkin.

A eunuch in a suit. And, the absolute epitome of mediocrity.

"I like Coach Bobo."
I think some of you folks aren't happy unless you have something to bitch about. It's not a big deal.... so the A.D. doesn't want to speak badly about someone publicly. So what? Get over it.

So you want an AD that acts like a petulant child on the radio. Brilliant.

Why do you assume everything has to be so extreme? I wasn't suggesting Ray should go on a 10 minute tear about what a terrible person Bobo is. But fact is Mushchamp and Tanner allowed Bobo to use USC, it was a big mistake and has left us basically in the gutter. I want an AD that is more aggressive with defending our program. Ray was lame in defending Dawn Staley when the Missouri AD totally went after her. His response was lukewarm. He has never taken a stand when we need head coaches to make changes with asst coaches....choosing to "stay out of it". It is his style I don't like. It the style of a coaches AD....not an executive, business approach to the department.

He could have just as easily commented something like "I wish Coach Bobo well. We now have an opportunity to get better. SC is a great place to coach and play. I am excited about our program moving forward with new opportunities under Shane Beamer".

Some may think its picky but in today's media-centered world, messaging is incredibly important. It is a lesson we could learn Clempson. Like it or not they are masters at carefully crafting positive messaging around their program. And it has led to them being the darlings of the college football media.

And yes, Ray Tanner's performance as Carolina AD justifies scrutiny and critique. I am tried of Carolina Mediocrity. I wish more Gamecock supporters were equally tired of it.

That coaches switch jobs faster in today's climate than they used to.
He did not give his opinion on how Bobo left which was what he was asked to comment on and Jay didn't follow up.
But good to know Ray personally likes Bobo.
Not sure what you expect him to say... “He is a lying snake and a POS”? That would look real good for an AD to trash a coach who left for a much higher paying job at a better team... Of course he kept it diplomatic. He is a professional. People like to crack on Ray, but he does what the job needs- he is a politician who greases the constituents when needed, furthers growth and improvement initiatives and makes the tough decision to fire people when needed- even if it is during a pandemic and least profitable season in the FB team’s recent history. Like every ither human being on Earth he cannot see the future to know what coaches will or will not work out long term, and questioning his hiring decisions is understandable in light of where we are in FB, but he knows how to handle the media and that is what he did here.

Why is he still here after the Muschamp hire and contract extension debacle? Just asking for a friend.
Because it is one hire and, while it may be the most public part of his job, it is not the most important...and he does very well with the other parts of the job. Also, it would be very hard to find an AD who hasn't made a bad hire on one or more occasions.

Because it is one hire and, while it may be the most public part of his job, it is not the most important...and he does very well with the other parts of the job. Also, it would be very hard to find an AD who hasn't made a bad hire on one or more occasions.
By most important part you mean butt kissing and nut hugging! I can barely understand the initial hire, but buyout and extension? Really, Ray?

By most important part you mean butt kissing and nut hugging! I can barely understand the initial hire, but buyout and extension? Really, Ray?
Do you not want an AD that will get off some money to keep a coach?

No, that is not what I mean. But if all you want is an AD that is a search firm, hire one every 4/5 years.....much, much cheaper.

Reactions: atl-cock
"I like Coach Bobo."
I hope we changed the station, when I hear him talk it may as well be Charlie Brown's teacher.

I do if it is a good coach. Don’t see where Muschamp qualified as such.
That’s an entirely different conversation. Ray came off some money to pay a coach he believed in. Don’t you recognize that’s a good thing?

That’s an entirely different conversation. Ray came off some money to pay a coach he believed in. Don’t you recognize that’s a good thing?
No, can’t in good conscious say I do in this case. Hind site is 20/20, but the outcome should have been seen from the start. UF was all you needed to see to know he was not the answer. You see it your way, sugar coated as it is, we will agree to disagree!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT