ADVERTISEMENT

Real Updates/ Who we have talked to so far..

They need to lock this down soon. If Satterfield and Freeze are out that leaves Napier, Beamer and Chadwell. With those choices there's no reason this shouldn't be wrapped up soon.
On the surface, I completely agree, but there is a huge potential monkey wrench that could be thrown in. What if worse comes to worst and all of the supposed finalists say no? Scary!!!!!

Chadwell is just a strange candidate for this job, and certainly a strange candidate to be the first confirmed interview. Three months ago he wasn’t even on anyone’s radar.

He’s never held a position with any major program.

Chadwell and Beamer are the same age. Chadwell has no P5 experience, but has proven that he can win at the mid-major and fcs level. Beamer has lots of P5 experience but absolutely 0 experience as either HC or either OC. I know which one of those I’d take. If Beamer is such a shoo-in for future success, why are other P5 schools not beating down his door for HC, or even OC?

you can say what you want, but the fact that Coastal was FCS 4 short years ago and are now in top 20 FBS, that can’t be ignored. I honestly wonder if there’s ever been that fast of a rise when transitioning from fcs to fbs.

if we don’t take a gamble on Chadwell, somebody else definitely will. And I have a feeling within 4 years, we’d regret not taking that gamble. I don’t feel that way about Beamer. I think Beamer knows how to coach, and he’s a “player’s coach”. But neither one of those things are an indicator that he can build his own staff and then be successful with it. Hell, Muschamp was once the hottest DC/future HC prospect in the country and he was definitely a Player’s coach...didn’t work out so great.

Reactions: cadcock
Chadwell and Beamer are the same age. Chadwell has no P5 experience, but has proven that he can win at the mid-major and fcs level. Beamer has lots of P5 experience but absolutely 0 experience as either HC or either OC. I know which one of those I’d take. If Beamer is such a shoo-in for future success, why are other P5 schools not beating down his door for HC, or even OC?

you can say what you want, but the fact that Coastal was FCS 4 short years ago and are now in top 20 FBS, that can’t be ignored. I honestly wonder if there’s ever been that fast of a rise when transitioning from fcs to fbs.

if we don’t take a gamble on Chadwell, somebody else definitely will. And I have a feeling within 4 years, we’d regret not taking that gamble. I don’t feel that way about Beamer. I think Beamer knows how to coach, and he’s a “player’s coach”. But neither one of those things are an indicator that he can build his own staff and then be successful with it. Hell, Muschamp was once the hottest DC/future HC prospect in the country and he was definitely a Player’s coach...didn’t work out so great.
App State had a similar/faster? Rise to FBS success- They joined FBS in 2014 and won 11 games in 2015. Satterfield was their coach until last year. He was mentioned for our job but expressed no interest.

Yeah, look, if it’s between Shane Beamer and Jamey Chadwell go ahead and flip a coin. Neither one of those guys should get this job at this time, but give it to Chadwell. Be excited about his work in the state, Charleston Southern turnaround, and Coastal success this year. That’s all fine. Maybe it works. But I cannot believe this athletic department fired Will Muschamp with the intent of making Jamey Chadwell and Shane Beamer their primary targets and first in-person interviews.

Scratch that, maybe I can believe it because Ray Tanner is involved. And it doesn’t seem he likes to plan ahead when it comes to inevitable coaching vacancies. If they are down to Beamer and Chadwell, that means they either skipped or found a way to bungle through, ignore or short change Napier, Freeze, Luke Fickell, Sarkisian, Satterfield, Neal Brown, and Dave Clawson, among others.

Yeah, look, if it’s between Shane Beamer and Jamey Chadwell go ahead and flip a coin. Neither one of those guys should get this job at this time, but give it to Chadwell. Be excited about his work in the state, Charleston Southern turnaround, and Coastal success this year. That’s all fine. Maybe it works. But I cannot believe this athletic department fired Will Muschamp with the intent of making Jamey Chadwell and Shane Beamer their primary targets and first in-person interviews.

Scratch that, maybe I can believe it because Ray Tanner is involved. And it doesn’t seem he likes to plan ahead when it comes to inevitable coaching vacancies. If they are down to Beamer and Chadwell, that means they either skipped or found a way to bungle through, ignore or short change Napier, Freeze, Luke Fickell, Sarkisian, Satterfield, Neal Brown, and Dave Clawson, among others.

I agree with you on the Tanner comment.

but honestly, who do you want? I’ve said ad nauseum Napier would be my first choice and Chadwell second. So, who do you want? Freeze? If he comes, we MIGHT get 3 8-9 win seasons out of him before he jumps to greener pasture and likely leaves us on probation. Who else?

to me, Chadwell vs Beamer is definitely NOT a coin toss. Chadwell has proven he can be a HC, Beamer has not.

We will be exactly where UT was when they fired their AD in the middle of their last search. Except we won't fire RT.

I could be wrong, but I personally don’t believe there’s any possible way Chadwell says no.

the only way I feel Napier would say no is if there were a job he viewed as being better, which I don’t see. If the stars aligned and say, Saban retired and Dabo went to Alabama,I could see Napier at Climpsun. Or if LSU ran Orgeron off over the rape scandal, I could see Napier there. Possibly even Michigan maybe. But outside of one of those things, I don’t see it.

so right off the bat, I think you’ve got 2 coaches who wouldn’t say no.

I think the Army coach also wouldn’t say no, but if he were hired everybody from the President down to the AD should be fired.

Beamer, I could see him taking it, or I could see him opting fo stay at Oklahoma for another season. Either way, I don’t care because I don’t want him.

Freeze, I COULD see saying no. But the more I read about him, the less I want him. I think he has a lot of baggage and I think he’s already about hit his peak as a P5head coach.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
I could be wrong, but I personally don’t believe there’s any possible way Chadwell says no.

the only way I feel Napier would say no is if there were a job he viewed as being better, which I don’t see. If the stars aligned and say, Saban retired and Dabo went to Alabama,I could see Napier at Climpsun. Or if LSU ran Orgeron off over the rape scandal, I could see Napier there. Possibly even Michigan maybe. But outside of one of those things, I don’t see it.

so right off the bat, I think you’ve got 2 coaches who wouldn’t say no.

I think the Army coach also wouldn’t say no, but if he were hired everybody from the President down to the AD should be fired.

Beamer, I could see him taking it, or I could see him opting fo stay at Oklahoma for another season. Either way, I don’t care because I don’t want him.

Freeze, I COULD see saying no. But the more I read about him, the less I want him. I think he has a lot of baggage and I think he’s already about hit his peak as a P5head coach.
We've had coaching searches mishandled before but before now they were mostly in basketball. Dixon/Newton, McGee/Odom, Hyman/Horn. But we've had some brilliant moves too. Getting Carlen here after stints at WVU and Texas Tech showed some finesse. Same with Joe Morrison.

If the search is being done right no one on this list should turn it down as these are not big names in coaching.

I'm coming around to Shane Beamer (I still would rather take a chance on Napier or Chadwell.) BUT, if Beamer can hire the best up and coming coordinators to manage the defense and offense then I can get behind it. But that requires multiple hires to get it right. Beamer is not going to pilfer more than 1 or 2 coaches from the Oklahoma staff and none of them will be coordinators. That means he has to hire people he does not currently work with. That seems risky to me.

Read on TOS- Chris Low of ESPN stating Beamer is the leader for our job “and he should be”...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT