ADVERTISEMENT

Really cant stand Mulkey from Baylor

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
I really never have cared for her but this season has been far and above the worst for her in my opinion. It started with her team losing a game at the early part of the season. Rather than say anything about what they did wrong to lose, she jumps right in and says they should not even be playing basketball and its not safe due to Covid. The NCAA was endangering the athletes. It really comes across as someone who lost and is afraid it wont be a good season. Notice you never heard that from her the rest of the season.
Then she states a couple of days ago that it was unfair that they played UConn in Elite 8. Honestly a big issue for years with Baylor is lack of decent schedule. They always pad their schedule with cupcakes so if you lose a couple of those, you wont get a very high seed. She just knew they very well may lose. Sour grapes again.
Then last night seeing her stomp her feet like an eight year old having a temper tantrum when her team didnt do as good was annoying. I understand she was upset of the no call at the end. While I agree it should have been called and more than likely if it was the other way, they would have called the foul on Baylor if it were UConn shooting. The issue I have is why she complains about that but doesnt acknowledge that her team should not have missed about 40% of their free throws. If they had hit 75% it would not have been an issue. Her team also gave away a 10 pt lead on a 19-0 run. That was all her team and if they had not done that, then again, the no call would not have mattered. She is someone who does not claim ownership of things when they go bad and always lays blame elsewhere. In my opinion she is not a true "leader".
Look at Dawn for example, when we lost to NC State, what did she say? Nothing about being unsafe to play or calls were bad. She actually said her team played as bad of basketball as she had seen and was really upset with how they played. She took her team to task for that and vowed to fix it. Mulkey is by far my least favorite Womens coach and one of my least favorite overall because she cant take true ownership of things when wrong.

The lack of a foul call in the final seconds is much larger than Mulkey and Baylor. That was a foul and should have been called. It would have been called at any other time in the game. That needs to be addressed.

As far as Mulkey, I'm not really a fan. You left out her defiant response to the sexual assault allegations at Baylor a few years ago that she ended up apologizing for. But I imagine that defiance drives her to be a great coach. Baylor, in general, comes off a bit sleazy. Kind of an embarrassment for Southern Baptists, IMO. Winning is all that seems to matter there.

The lack of a foul call in the final seconds is much larger than Mulkey and Baylor. That was a foul and should have been called. It would have been called at any other time in the game. That needs to be addressed.

As far as Mulkey, I'm not really a fan. You left out her defiant response to the sexual assault allegations at Baylor a few years ago that she ended up apologizing for. But I imagine that defiance drives her to be a great coach. Baylor, in general, comes off a bit sleazy. Kind of an embarrassment for Southern Baptists, IMO. Winning is all that seems to matter there.

I dont disagree about the foul not being called was bad, however, I reiterate, if they had not given away a 10 pt lead with a 19-0 run, that does not come into play. No game comes down to one play. There are several others during the game that could have changed the outcome.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
I dont disagree about the foul not being called was bad, however, I reiterate, if they had not given away a 10 pt lead with a 19-0 run, that does not come into play. No game comes down to one play. There are several others during the game that could have changed the outcome.
I agree. But for such an egregious foul to not be called at that crucial moment, that could, in fact, affect the outcome of the game (regardless of the other earlier factors) - the optics are simply abysmal. There is no explaining away why there was no call.

I totally forgot about her trying to end the season with a covid excuse. What really irked me about that statement is that she had the power to do it for her program, instead of trying to convince the masses to cancel the season because she assumed her team was going to have a bad year. Not a Mulkey fan but still wish they won last night. My only interest in Baylor was the Didi Richards comeback story and seeing how Carrington could effective after transferring.

Officials swallow their whistles in late game situations because they don't want to be the deciding factor.
A foul with ten minutes left is not a foul with ten seconds left. It's not right, but it is what it is.

I like Mulkey. I love her fire and intense competitiveness. If she coached my team, I would have no problem supporting her as I pulled for my team. I know that some will misconstrue this comment. Don't even go there. She has a lot of McGuire in her, minus the New York accent, when it comes to standing up for her program and her players. McGuire would have been livid last night.

I loved her brothers.
images

I like Mulkey. I love her fire and intense competitiveness. If she coached my team, I would have no problem supporting her as I pulled for my team. I know that some will misconstrue this comment. Don't even go there. She has a lot of McGuire in her, minus the New York accent, when it comes to standing up for her program and her players. McGuire would have been livid last night.
I have no problem with a coach who has fire and passion. However, Mulkeys seems to be very misplaced alot of the time. I think that she believes she is a bigger deal than she really is. She has been very successful, no doubt, but she sometimes acts as the voice of the masses and it is stuff that she says that doesnt really make sense. I struggle with her even when she wins because when she speaks with reporters she has a really, really smug expression about herself during those interviews. Its like her face is saying "I really am great arent I?" But then when she loses, her expression and even words always say "This is someone elses fault and I should not have to deal with this. the results must change." She just annoys me highly.
I have no problem if you like her at all, she just grates my nerves. Just like Roy Williams and Jim Boeheim on the mens side.

I have no problem with a coach who has fire and passion. However, Mulkeys seems to be very misplaced alot of the time. I think that she believes she is a bigger deal than she really is. She has been very successful, no doubt, but she sometimes acts as the voice of the masses and it is stuff that she says that doesnt really make sense. I struggle with her even when she wins because when she speaks with reporters she has a really, really smug expression about herself during those interviews. Its like her face is saying "I really am great arent I?" But then when she loses, her expression and even words always say "This is someone elses fault and I should not have to deal with this. the results must change." She just annoys me highly.
I have no problem if you like her at all, she just grates my nerves. Just like Roy Williams and Jim Boeheim on the mens side.
I have no problem with your opinion, either.

Mulkey is an excellent coach and recruiter. She really messed up on defending the rape culture that pervaded at Baylor.

She is whiny and blaming at times and I find that unattractive. But is she any less whiny and blaming than Coach K at Duke? And good Lord she can’t match his potty mouth.

Reactions: trekcock
A lot of coaching is theater. And the best ones know how to use press conferences and on-the-court demonstrations to their advantage to try and push things in their favor - even if just ever so slightly. And it usually irks anyone that isn't rooting for their team. I give her a pass on those things.

The quotes on the rapes at Baylor - that's shameful. But everyone makes mistakes.

Reactions: king ward
OP I can't stand her either. She gave me quite a few laughs last night in the post game interview. Mask fidgeting….

Reactions: CoachT13
Well, she DOES have 3 NCAA championships. So, especially among active coaches, that puts her in elite company.

Then last night seeing her stomp her feet like an eight year old having a temper tantrum when her team didnt do as good was annoying.

Stomping her feet with them &@#£ hard high heels on got me highly aggravated. Tearing up the floor. Tearing the varnish off, scarring it up worse than dragging sharp-edged metal across it. Then somebody has to fix it. I could not abide someone doing that to my floor. Had one coach out of Greenville County that always did it. Then we got smart and put a big ugly @$$ mat in front of her chair and had a group behind her bench holler every time she left the box, warning the ref to get her back. Men coaches would do it too with their hard shoes. A lot of Sundays - go to the gym and reclean and revarnish that spot. I’ll pull against her every time. Got a grudge now, see.

Remember her son Seth Robertson(?) at LSU? I believe he played 3rd and had one hell of senior year. Probably 4 years back?

Not to jump off track here but Notre Dame sure did fall off the WCB cliff.

Hopefully UCONN’s luck ended with that free foul they were given.

As I've watched her the last couple of games, she reminds me of Pat Summit. Pat was my fav women's basketball coach of all time...due to her reminding me of Pat, I'm a huge Mulkey fan...

Reactions: king ward
I really never have cared for her but this season has been far and above the worst for her in my opinion. It started with her team losing a game at the early part of the season. Rather than say anything about what they did wrong to lose, she jumps right in and says they should not even be playing basketball and its not safe due to Covid. The NCAA was endangering the athletes. It really comes across as someone who lost and is afraid it wont be a good season. Notice you never heard that from her the rest of the season.
Then she states a couple of days ago that it was unfair that they played UConn in Elite 8. Honestly a big issue for years with Baylor is lack of decent schedule. They always pad their schedule with cupcakes so if you lose a couple of those, you wont get a very high seed. She just knew they very well may lose. Sour grapes again.
Then last night seeing her stomp her feet like an eight year old having a temper tantrum when her team didnt do as good was annoying. I understand she was upset of the no call at the end. While I agree it should have been called and more than likely if it was the other way, they would have called the foul on Baylor if it were UConn shooting. The issue I have is why she complains about that but doesnt acknowledge that her team should not have missed about 40% of their free throws. If they had hit 75% it would not have been an issue. Her team also gave away a 10 pt lead on a 19-0 run. That was all her team and if they had not done that, then again, the no call would not have mattered. She is someone who does not claim ownership of things when they go bad and always lays blame elsewhere. In my opinion she is not a true "leader".
Look at Dawn for example, when we lost to NC State, what did she say? Nothing about being unsafe to play or calls were bad. She actually said her team played as bad of basketball as she had seen and was really upset with how they played. She took her team to task for that and vowed to fix it. Mulkey is by far my least favorite Womens coach and one of my least favorite overall because she cant take true ownership of things when wrong.

I'm pretty sure I know why they miss so many free throws .... kinda hard to see the rim through all of the long false eyelashes. Maybe Kim ought to let them try to dribble with those 6" Korean nail jobs too? Seriously, don't some of these women's coaches understand that eye-hand coordination might be a tad better without the optical foliage!

Reactions: mikeypen
As I've watched her the last couple of games, she reminds me of Pat Summit. Pat was my fav women's basketball coach of all time...due to her reminding me of Pat, I'm a huge Mulkey fan...
With all due respect I strongly disagree. Pat Summit commanded and earned respect even if her team winning and beating the tar out of your team drive you nuts. She had class. I don’t see class in Mulkey at all.

Kim Mulkey is ok; her brothers Bill and Randy are the real stars of the family. They used to rule Saturday night television!!!!!
#mulkeymania

Reactions: jeff2001
On one one you’re right. On the other I disagree. Late game calls are in fact more consequential, as are coaching decisions. Early in the game, calls and decisions can be overcome. You overcome these decisions by putting yourself in position to win. So when Baylor has made all the right decisions to be in position to win, and that’s taken from them, it IS more consequential.

Reactions: Jon Snow
What is overlooked is that, prior to that 19-point run, their best defensive player went down with a hamstring injury and never returned. The game turned at that precise point, and that was UConn, with the best shooter in the country, on the other side. I mean, if people are going to tell it, they need to tell it all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT