ADVERTISEMENT

Reasons for keeping Tanner as AD?

RashCock

Aug 12, 2011
What possible rationale are our University's leaders using to defend the continuation of Coach Ray Tanner's position as Director of Athletics at The University of South Carolina?

My reason for keeping him is we don't know who the next president is going to be, and I dang sure don't trust our BOT to make a proper AD hire. They wouldn't even know where to start looking or who to look for. We need someone that's run a big time athletics program though, not some first timer or someone who's been an AD at a small school. We need an AD who's been around programs like Ohio State, Alabama, etc. Someone that knows what winning looks like and how to make operations run like a sewing machine.

None, other then we have clueless BOT

If we had a smart BOT and we really were sick of losing to Clemson in everything other then Women's Basketball.

Then offer Clemson AD Dan Radakovich, a 6 year $10 million deal, he worked here before.

His current deal seems low

Clemson athletic director Dan Radakovich's contract has been extended through the 2021-22 athletic school year. The new deal is worth $4.854 million over six years, or an average of $809,000 per season

Last edited:
Tanner's deal

Also Friday, Tanner received a three-year extension through 2022 that will increase his total annual compensation from $737,187 to $900,000, with that amount increasing to $1 million in July of 2019. Nine athletic directors nationally currently make $1 million or more, according to USA Today's salary database.Apr 21, 2017

Tanner's deal

Also Friday, Tanner received a three-year extension through 2022 that will increase his total annual compensation from $737,187 to $900,000, with that amount increasing to $1 million in July of 2019. Nine athletic directors nationally currently make $1 million or more, according to USA Today's salary database.Apr 21, 2017
Now do you understand why I hate our BOT so much? Theres no excuse for that level of stupidity. None. And yet some have been here for 30 plus years.

I for one think it is time for a change, although it will be a difficult time because of what he did for Gamecock athletics as a coach. The irony of the situation is that we need an Eric Hyman type guy. If you recall, when he began raising prices to pay for facilities, folks wanted him gone.

I for one think it is time for a change, although it will be a difficult time because of what he did for Gamecock athletics as a coach. The irony of the situation is that we need an Eric Hyman type guy. If you recall, when he began raising prices to pay for facilities, folks wanted him gone.
Honestly we gave him a more than fair shot at the job. He's had what, 6 years? We need someone that's been at a place that wins that will come in and tell us like it is. No sugar coating stuff.

If you really want a reason it’s womens sports. Softball and women’s basketball have been improved to championship caliber under his watch.

I just wished he could figure out how to apply that to the Big 3 sports.

Reactions: Holy City Cock
If you really want a reason it’s womens sports. Softball and women’s basketball have been improved to championship caliber under his watch.

I just wished he could figure out how to apply that to the Big 3 sports.
Baseball- You certainly would have thought he would know baseball. I don’t fault him for hiring Holbroook, as many around baseball thought he was ready to run a program. I do blame him for not fixing it when it was obviously falling apart. Holbrook stepped into a top program with nothing to fix

Basketball- Martin is not the man for the job. The amount of turnover on his teams indicate that.

Football- Like it or not, we were not getting a top shelf name. Muschamp was not anybody’s first choice. However, the search was botched from the start, which made our situation look even worse.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
His crazy contract, would be one reason.

How many of our board members were placed when the Tater Governor Haley was in power, I remember she kicked of Darla Moore, our largest benefactor, off.

What else did she do to our board?

Anyone else see my conspiracy forming, Tater Gov intentionally weakens the board, so they hire a no experience AD, Clemson takes over the world?

giphy.gif

source.gif

Be careful what you wish for. Some of this board hired King Dixon for AD back in the day. We plucked him out of the Laurens County YMCA( not a joke) .

Reactions: robertfootball
Be careful what you wish for. Some of this board hired King Dixon for AD back in the day. We plucked him out of the Laurens County YMCA( not a joke) .
It needs to be a more business minded guy. One who can create and implement a plan for now and beyond. One who can call a spade a spade, cut his losses, and not repeat the same mistakes. One who people don’t mind working for but know they will be held to a standard, and that failure to do so, will result in dismissal.

The one and only reason is they make a boat load of money, which is the AD's job. He is the CEO of the athletic dept. His job is not wins and losses, it's profit margin. As long as they are making money, he's not going anywhere.

Reactions: cockgun
Ray is a legendary baseball coach and great ambassador for Carolina athletics. That said, the jury is still out on his AD ability. His two hires are Holbrook (who set back the baseball program) and Muschamp, who is not exactly gaining support right now, can't beat ranked teams and is getting whipped regularly by rivals. Tanner likes to joke about how beating Clemson is a prerequisite for a Carolina coach, but it's sad that we haven't beaten them in a major men's sport in three years. All talk, no action.

Scholastically we rank high....so we got tgat going for us.

University of South Carolina is a public institution that was founded in 1801. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 26,362, its setting is city, and the campus size is 444 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. University of South Carolina's ranking in the 2019 edition of Best Colleges is, 106

Ray is a legendary baseball coach and great ambassador for Carolina athletics. That said, the jury is still out on his AD ability. His two hires are Holbrook (who set back the baseball program) and Muschamp, who is not exactly gaining support right now, can't beat ranked teams and is getting whipped regularly by rivals. Tanner likes to joke about how beating Clemson is a prerequisite for a Carolina coach, but it's sad that we haven't beaten them in a major men's sport in three years. All talk, no action.
Is he the one that made up the Palmetto Series that even Clemson doesn't recognize as being a thing?

Very few people in the workplace are held accountable anymore. Back in the day if you didn’t perform you were out. Nowadays seems like everyone gets a pass.

It’s the Garnet Way. We try to save face. Tanner has several more years to fail here

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT