ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting issues...

FWB4294

Oct 21, 2012
It’s common knowledge that our current recruiting class is disappointing. Joyner could be a program changer or he could be another Connor Mitch . When I look at last years class the only real contributors are Jam Williams and O Smith . This is a big concern going forward . Those who say you can’t recruit until you win obviously don’t look at recruiting rankings . UF still has a top ten class and THEY DON’T HAVE A COACH !!!! Tenn has been a lame duck all year and their class is rated above ours ?? Champ was brought in as a so called Recruiting Genius . My concern was that coaching at Texas , UF and Auburn would make anybody a recruiting genius and that it would be a different ballgame here . Spurrier could win with lesser talent , Muschamp can’t . If next years class isn’t a huge improvement, I think his days here are numbered ( or maybe not because we seem to settle for mediocrity). Last night does nothing to help in state recruiting . I know he is working his butt off but I just think potential 5 Star recruits see him as “the guy Florida Fired” and Dabo as the next Saban .

It’s common knowledge that our current recruiting class is disappointing. Joyner could be a program changer or he could be another Connor Mitch . When I look at last years class the only real contributors are Jam Williams and O Smith . This is a big concern going forward . Those who say you can’t recruit until you win obviously don’t look at recruiting rankings . UF still has a top ten class and THEY DON’T HAVE A COACH !!!! Tenn has been a lame duck all year and their class is rated above ours ?? Champ was brought in as a so called Recruiting Genius . My concern was that coaching at Texas , UF and Auburn would make anybody a recruiting genius and that it would be a different ballgame here . Spurrier could win with lesser talent , Muschamp can’t . If next years class isn’t a huge improvement, I think his days here are numbered ( or maybe not because we seem to settle for mediocrity). Last night does nothing to help in state recruiting . I know he is working his butt off but I just think potential 5 Star recruits see him as “the guy Florida Fired” and Dabo as the next Saban .

What’s the fix? Do we have to constantly bring in legendary big name coaches in order to have moderate success at USC? I prefer the young, hardworking, energetic young coach model which Muschamp fits perfectly. I agree, recruiting results are not stellar.

He must get 2 more years to really prove if he is the guy or not.

Reactions: 92Pony
What’s the fix? Do we have to constantly bring in legendary big name coaches in order to have moderate success at USC? I prefer the young, hardworking, energetic young coach model which Muschamp fits perfectly. I agree, recruiting results are not stellar.

If he don’t chit can Roper then he ain’t the man. pERIOD. The buddy system is what continues to screw us

I think it’s a system issue . When we were dominating Clemson they still brought in elite skill players because the offense was so explosive . Kids wanted to play in that system . They see guys like Deshaun, Nuke , Spiller etc etc being drafted in the first round . Think about it .... who was the last skill player drafted from USC in the first round ??? Troy Willamson (a he was a complete bust) . No 5 Star receiver or RB wants to play in a Roper/ Muschamp system . If we hired Lincoln Riley or Willy Taggert we have a chance on those guys . I think we will be treading uphill for a long time with Champ . Bring a guy like Kevin Sumlin or Mike Leach to USC and the skill players will follow .

When our school decides to pay players like the other schools do we mite catch up. Until then get use to this. 5 star players get paid.
I agree w you. But taters are schooling us w scheme as much or more than talent.
The ball is out quickly. The scheme is fairly simple and high percentage.

Sound tater D but for the most part Jake had decent time
We ran the ball respectfully well.

Jake 4*
OrTre, Edwards, Shi all 4*. Davis was either 4 or 3*
Hurst 3rd best TE in NFL Draft

We have all this talent but yet can’t seem to confuse, out flank, good Ds.
These 4* kids could only score on tater 2s.

Montac A WALK ON was arguably the best player on D last night.
Maybe if Sterling and Nixon actually got to play they could have been

Reactions: achilles#
I think it’s a system issue . When we were dominating Clemson they still brought in elite skill players because the offense was so explosive . Kids wanted to play in that system . They see guys like Deshaun, Nuke , Spiller etc etc being drafted in the first round . Think about it .... who was the last skill player drafted from USC in the first round ??? Troy Willamson (a he was a complete bust) . No 5 Star receiver or RB wants to play in a Roper/ Muschamp system . If we hired Lincoln Riley or Willy Taggert we have a chance on those guys . I think we will be treading uphill for a long time with Champ . Bring a guy like Kevin Sumlin or Mike Leach to USC and the skill players will follow .
I agree....it’s system. But the players are there. Jake, Edwards, OrTre, Hurst, Shi, Davis, are all 4* kids.
But the scheme is so predictable that we rarely find air to breathe.
At least 4 times last night I told m6 buddy where the ball was going.
Taters seemed to know too. NEVER have room on a bubble screen, RB screen, tunnel screen.
Taters seemed to always have room.
That is a scheme and predictability issue not that their WR is 5* vs our 4*.
If that were the case, Wisc and Mich St would never win. Bc we routinely out recruit them.

Reactions: achilles#
Muschamp .... great recruiter, defensive genius, new start- offense won't be like UF. How's all that working out for us? I was against this hire 2 years ago and nothing he has done has proven me wrong. I'll be a women's soccer fan for the next two or three football seasons until he is gone.

Reactions: drawplay000
All I needed to hear was when you said
hahah, Kevin sunlin huh.

Muschamp .... great recruiter, defensive genius, new start- offense won't be like UF. How's all that working out for us? I was against this hire 2 years ago and nothing he has done has proven me wrong. I'll be a women's soccer fan for the next two or three football seasons until he is gone.

Yeah I hoped for the best but expected the worst . When he announced the Roper hiring I Kinda knew where it was going .

All I needed to hear was when you said

hahah, Kevin sunlin huh.

Yeah he’s only beat Alabama twice and beat us every time we’ve played . If A&M was in the Easy East they would be in Atlanta every year . If we played Bama, Auburn, LSU, and Miss State every year we would be be roadkill .

In a nutshell that’s why we only have one conference title. Corso was right... you can’t recruit here. The big question is WHY NOT?????

We have all this talent but yet can’t seem to confuse, out flank, good Ds.
These 4* kids could only score on tater 2s.

Montac A WALK ON was arguably the best player on D last night.
Maybe if Sterling and Nixon actually got to play they could have been
We haven't been able to confuse or outflank even crummy D's this year. Vandy was 104 in pass D and we could barely move the ball.

Stop using great recruiter. That is bull chit. If u ain’t in the top 3 or 4 in your conference recruiting you ain’t GREAt. Stop that

Couple things here. First is who would want to play in this offense. Joyner is an athlete that'll probably be better than Bentley, but he's not the kind of QB to lead us to the next step imo. And last, what no one ever wants to look at is why come to Columbia SC to play if you're great. Not a college town...area has been upgraded, but stadium is still in the hood and not on campus, we're a doormat in the SEC (and in our own state), our fans showed a very bad image last night (and so did our team), our coaching staff has never proven they're a winner (excuse me....Bobby Bentley was a great HS coach). I'm just ticked at what I've seen from our BOD hiring the 4th choice in muschamp and the overall lack of commitment (our training facility is a joke compared to schools that are big time). What's going on now will keep us as a doormat.

Stop using great recruiter. That is bull chit. If u ain’t in the top 3 or 4 in your conference recruiting you ain’t GREAt. Stop that

You do realize that first sentence was dripping with sarcasm, don't you?

Yeah he’s only beat Alabama twice and beat us every time we’ve played . If A&M was in the Easy East they would be in Atlanta every year . If we played Bama, Auburn, LSU, and Miss State every year we would be be roadkill .
That’s why he’s job hunting after the end of the season. Last I checked Kevin dumping hasn’t suited up and beat anyone in a long long time.

Leach? His offense only scored 14 against their rival yesterday....all against backups in the 4th quarter. Washington doesn't have Clemson's defense either. He scores like crazy until he faces a defense with a pulse.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Couple things here. First is who would want to play in this offense. Joyner is an athlete that'll probably be better than Bentley, but he's not the kind of QB to lead us to the next step imo. And last, what no one ever wants to look at is why come to Columbia SC to play if you're great. Not a college town...area has been upgraded, but stadium is still in the hood and not on campus, we're a doormat in the SEC (and in our own state), our fans showed a very bad image last night (and so did our team), our coaching staff has never proven they're a winner (excuse me....Bobby Bentley was a great HS coach). I'm just ticked at what I've seen from our BOD hiring the 4th choice in muschamp and the overall lack of commitment (our training facility is a joke compared to schools that are big time). What's going on now will keep us as a doormat.
Meanwhile Georgia gets the best dual threat QB and doesn’t even run that type offense. We do run it and still can’t outrecruit them.

Meanwhile Georgia gets the best dual threat QB and doesn’t even run that type offense. We do run it and still can’t outrecruit them.
I understand why UGA gets recruits. Ga is a fertile state for recruiting and UGA is a beautiful campus with a great stadium right in the middle of it. Plus they look like a team and school that wants to win and is competing for championships. Meanwhile back in Columbia, we don't have a single signature win in the Muschamp 2-year era. And we've got some ugly losses. Usually teams with defense mentalities don't lost ugly games.

I want to try to get it done with Champ, but the point about skill players coming to a system that highlights their talents is inarguable.

What a dumb ass comment. What has it gotten us? 8-4 record in year two of the rebuild. A noticeaby improved defense that is only getting better. An offensive skill group that has been flipped from terrible to above average in Just two classes. You're an idiot.

Clemson has been sucking off the teets of Alabama for decades...see Danny Ford and Dabo. Maybe those old Bama guys know something we don't know about getting the recruiting machine going. Danny did it and got caught a couple of times. Dabo has done it but no charges as of yet. Maybe there is a reason Clemson keeps looking tp Bama to get there program headed in the right direction?

What a dumb ass comment. What has it gotten us? 8-4 record in year two of the rebuild. A noticeaby improved defense that is only getting better. An offensive skill group that has been flipped from terrible to above average in Just two classes. You're an idiot.
An offense ranked 101 in the counrty is far from above average..idiot doesnt do you justice..smh

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see a good ending with Muschamp. He's had 6 years or so and we see the body of work. People are complaining about his recruiting here well look what he did with a completely different level of athlete at Florida. Say he turns up the recruiting here to the level he did at Florida (unlikely). He didn't win with that caliber of athlete. He did win 8 this year but to be honest if half the programs weren't in shambles the record would've be a losing one. Next year for me is going to tell all. If he manages 4 plus losses with what we have coming back he'll never have us competing.

Will said he could recruit when he came here. Said look at his wife if you had any doubts. I am not sure if they just say they are recruiting hard just to save face. I mean I could work hard in something I am inept at but just suck at it.

Reactions: jonesz21

No, you're the poor deluded fool who buys the "let's just recruit harder" mantra that fatboy spouts off after every train wreck of a poor, ill-coached performance. Some of you numb-nuts can't understand that coaching the players once they get here is a much more important phase of building a successful program than just counting paid recruiting service stars. But don't mind me, please continue to enjoy your mediocrity for a couple more years until fatboy gets fired .... again!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT