ADVERTISEMENT

Rewatched the 2014 Outback vs Wisconsin ...

FWB4294

Oct 21, 2012
Some interesting observations

1. The defense was already showing some noticeable cracks even with Clowney and Quarles . Wisconsin’s OLine brutalized us
2. Shaq Roland could have been an incredible player . Terrible waste of Talent .
3. Melvin Gordon and James White were and still are Terrific players .
4. Chris Borland could have been the next dominant middle backer in the NFL if not for the early retirement .
5. If Bruce , Kelcy and Vic Hampton had stayed for their Senior Season that 7-6 could have easily been another 11 win team with all the close games we lost that year
6. If Bruce came back and if Shaq did not flake out the already record breaking offense with Dylan the next year could have been incredible . Bruce, Pharoh , Damiere Byrd, a motivated Shaq, Nick Jones , Mike Davis and Brandon Wilds . Could have been epic .
7. I’m sure Spurrier felt he had one of his stronger squads returning even with JD , Shaw and others leaving . Even the announcers commented on what a strong team he would have coming back .
8. Skai was a beast . Even as a true freshman he was all over of the field .
9. Other than Big George . Shaw is the most important player in USC football history . He was incredible all day .

My favorite part was when Connor Shaw scored 5 total TD including running, passing and receiving

You make some good points. It was the Capitol One Bowl. That was Ward's 2nd year as DC. Ward's 1st year, he still had Lawing as DLine coach and he had 4 very experienced senior LB's (Shaq Wilson, D. Jeffery, Quin Smith, and Reggie Bowens) which sort of cushioned us the from the effect of losing EJ. But in 2013, it began to become apparent we were not as well coached on defense. The defensive implosion happened in 2014 when Ward started toying around with the 3-4 alignment. You are correct about Connor Shaw. He was great. 27 TD's against 1 interception his Sr. year.

Reactions: mannblack
There were major cracks in that defense. Clowney didn’t have the most productive year stat wise but the amount of attention he single handed drew from opposing lines and blocking schemes made that defense look way better than it really was.

Yea everyone always "if not for the UT game, that was our year...", but that team would've gotten worked by Auburn (again) in the Championship game.

2012 was a much more "missed chance" year.

There were major cracks in that defense. Clowney didn’t have the most productive year stat wise but the amount of attention he single handed drew from opposing lines and blocking schemes made that defense look way better than it really was.

Yeah looking back , Aaron Murray torched us earlier that year in Athens . The secondary was clearly going down hill . Kinda of a precursor to the A&M game the next season .

I guess all those “ We blew a golden chance to win the east again , so you get to go a Florida bowl that really means jack $!?!! “ kinda run together for me . Haha!!

Yea everyone always "if not for the UT game, that was our year...", but that team would've gotten worked by Auburn (again) in the Championship game.

2012 was a much more "missed chance" year.
You do realize that we beat UCF, Mizzou and klempsun. 2 of those teams won BCS games and UCF took out Baylor. Those teams all finished in the top 10. We weren't going to 'get worked' by any GD team in the entire country in 2013.

Reactions: allyourbase
Yeah looking back , Aaron Murray torched us earlier that year in Athens . The secondary was clearly going down hill . Kinda of a precursor to the A&M game the next season .
Geez. Are you really a Gamecock fan? Sounds like you are having way too much fun trashing 1 of the best teams in our history.

Some interesting observations

1. The defense was already showing some noticeable cracks even with Clowney and Quarles . Wisconsin’s OLine brutalized us
2. Shaq Roland could have been an incredible player . Terrible waste of Talent .
3. Melvin Gordon and James White were and still are Terrific players .
4. Chris Borland could have been the next dominant middle backer in the NFL if not for the early retirement .
5. If Bruce , Kelcy and Vic Hampton had stayed for their Senior Season that 7-6 could have easily been another 11 win team with all the close games we lost that year
6. If Bruce came back and if Shaq did not flake out the already record breaking offense with Dylan the next year could have been incredible . Bruce, Pharoh , Damiere Byrd, a motivated Shaq, Nick Jones , Mike Davis and Brandon Wilds . Could have been epic .
7. I’m sure Spurrier felt he had one of his stronger squads returning even with JD , Shaw and others leaving . Even the announcers commented on what a strong team he would have coming back .
8. Skai was a beast . Even as a true freshman he was all over of the field .
9. Other than Big George . Shaw is the most important player in USC football history . He was incredible all day .

Number5. Got to get the kids to stay to sustain

You do realize that we beat UCF, Mizzou and klempsun. 2 of those teams won BCS games and UCF took out Baylor. Those teams all finished in the top 10. We weren't going to 'get worked' by any GD team in the entire country in 2013.
This. Our 2013 team finished #4 in the country and deserved that ranking. They lost a couple of games, but if getting "worked" means getting embarrassed, no way.

27TDs against 1 INT for Shaw. That is FREAKING INSANE. No, he didn't throw for 400 yards a game, but what QB goes through an entire SEC season and throws one interception? For the life of me, I don't know why he didn't get more publicity that year.

Geez. Are you really a Gamecock fan? Sounds like you are having way too much fun trashing 1 of the best teams in our history.

I’m not trashing anybody . I’m stating facts . Aaron Murray Destroyed us that UGA game . Go back and watch the game . That was probably the best team in our history but the point I’m making is if you look back you can see the cracks in the Dam that broke the next year .

I’m not trashing anybody . I’m stating facts . Aaron Murray Destroyed us that UGA game . Go back and watch the game . That was probably the best team in our history but the point I’m making is if you look back you can see the cracks in the Dam that broke the next year .
Aaron Murray destroyed klempsun the weekend before! We played them in Athens!! At that point, Georgia was a top 10 team. I will admit that we gave up too many passing yards to UCF and too many rushing yards to Wisconsin. But........we WON both of those games!!!!!

Stupid play calling cost us the Tenn game.

Aaron Murray destroyed klempsun the weekend before! We played them in Athens!! At that point, Georgia was a top 10 team. I will admit that we gave up too many passing yards to UCF and too many rushing yards to Wisconsin. But........we WON both of those games!!!!!

Stupid play calling cost us the Tenn game.

I’ll be honest ... the UGA team we played at the beginning of the year was the best team in college football that year . I think without the absolute onslaught of injury’s that team had , they would have beaten anybody . Remember they lost Murray , Gurley , Marshall , Malcolm Mitchell and half the defense to injury that year . I think they were as good as anyone that year and we still almost pulled out that game in Athens . That was a great UGA team .

I’ll be honest ... the UGA team we played at the beginning of the year was the best team in college football that year . I think without the absolute onslaught of injury’s that team had , they would have beaten anybody . Remember they lost Murray , Gurley , Marshall , Malcolm Mitchell and half the defense to injury that year . I think they were as good as anyone that year and we still almost pulled out that game in Athens . That was a great UGA team .

I think you are full of shit.

Reactions: Number1pjones
You are just a little too excited about this Georgia team, for me to believe that you are a Gamecock fan. That Georgia team was pretty good, but I don't think they were great. I think the GAMECOCKS were as good as any team in 2013 and I couldn't care less about how good georgia or klempsun were that season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT