ADVERTISEMENT

Saban gets it

Good lord enough people,our class is still in the top15. There is a bridge down in Charleston y'all can jump off. If you can't go on. Our coaches are working very hard in recruiting. And I believe we will turn this thing around next year.

Never saw anywhere in the article that says Saban works harder than Coach Spurrier. People who pretend they know it all sure do spend a lot of time breaking down and bad mouthing our program. Please take yourself to another board and find another team and their coaching staffs to speak of what you know nothing about.

I thought I read that Spurrier was making a point to personally visit all the committed recruits and some others.

Originally posted by Garnet chicken:
I thought I read that Spurrier was making a point to personally visit all the committed recruits and some others.
So in other words. He is starting to do the things that most coaches do every year.

Originally posted by jeff2001:
Good lord enough people,our class is still in the top15. There is a bridge down in Charleston y'all can jump off. If you can't go on. Our coaches are working very hard in recruiting. And I believe we will turn this thing around next year.
Yes, that's pretty good after the year we had. However, 15th probably puts us in the middle of the SEC teams. Being in the SEC is tough and competing with the top of the SEC is the same as being one of the top teams (like last year?). Let's see how they develop.

Originally posted by ReadR00ster:

So in other words. He is starting to do the things that most coaches do every year.
If you truly believe that MOST coaches personally visit every one of their committed recruits on top of personally visiting several others then you truly are more clueless than I already thought you were.

Originally posted by GamecockWarrior:

If you truly believe that MOST coaches personally visit every one of their committed recruits on top of personally visiting several others then you truly are more clueless than I already thought you were.
They at least visit their top ten. At least the good ones do.

Just stop. Every post you make further displays your ignorance and bias against our program. Spurrier spends as much time visiting recruits and trying to bring in talented players as most any coach in the country. Is there perhaps a school or two with guys who spend more time recruiting than us? Sure... It is possible.... But to compare our recruiting to Bama's the way people KEEP DOING around here is completely flipping idiotic. We are not and never will be Alabama...

I may be wrong but the last time we played Alabama (and they were ranked #1) we beat them. They of course had the higher ranked recruits (like they do year in and year out) and what we could field beat them anyway. ANYONE could recruit at Alabama, besides Michigan, have won more championships than any other college. We will never (in my opinion) every out recruit Alabama regardless of who the coach is there (or here). Alabama lost to teams this year that he out recruited. With the last few years our recruits (besides this year) have out done most of the top recruiting schools. We finished number 4 last year. Alabama also has had some lean years, even with the recruiting edge they have built into their program. One season does not make or break a program. If so then our record of 0-21 over two years would have us bankrupt at recruiting any good recruits. Yes I am old school, but we are the ones that kept this program going through all those lean years and we are the ones that are proud of what our program has become. You see, we remember what it was like before Holtz and Spurrier agreed to try to right this ship and we are the one who are damn proud they came here when nobody else would.

Alabama has an entire structure built on recruiting that supplements that coaching staff. They have an entire host of "consultants" that are on the non coaching staff that is paid to monitor everything when it comes to high school relations and everything associated with recruiting visits and making sure coaches know - and stay in touch with every recruit on their board.

They also have a history of hiring coaches that are excellent recruiters - many of which are known to really push the envelope regarding the rules. They don't break the rules- and aren't in trouble with any school- but will push the rules right up to the edge- which benefits Alabama.

Spurrier has even mentioned that we won't have anything like Alabama does. I don't know why a school like South Carolina doesn't have more consultants on the non coaching staff to focus on the recruiting experience- especially considering we've lost a handful of guys the last several years where there seemed to be an obvious communication breakdown.

My personal opinion is that Spurrier doesn't pay close enough attention to the details like that - details that really matter to kids.

At Alabama, if you can't recruit great as an assistant coach, you will be looking for another job.
This post was edited on 1/28 9:39 AM by Rollerdude123

Originally posted by NaturalGC7:
Never saw anywhere in the article that says Saban works harder than Coach Spurrier. People who pretend they know it all sure do spend a lot of time breaking down and bad mouthing our program. Please take yourself to another board and find another team and their coaching staffs to speak of what you know nothing about.
I don't have a clue who recruits hard and who doesn't. Most people on here are just posting opinions. That being said however, somehting that does bother me is the fact that SOS actually said that "maybe we got complacent" after the three 11 wins seasons. I's be willing to BET that saban and some others NEVER get complacent. Complacency breeds bad habits and bad habits leads to sub par seasons, IMHO!

Saban is a perfectionist. He's hard to work for as a result- but his attention to detail is probably #1 in college, and would be close to #1 in the NFL.

Doesn't mean he's not going to lose every once in awhile.

Originally posted by woodruffcock:

. I's be willing to BET that saban and some others NEVER get complacent. Complacency breeds bad habits and bad habits leads to sub par seasons, IMHO!

Hell....if you go back to the days of the Bear....He brought in kids to finish hs in Tuscaloosa.

Originally posted by Gamecock Lifer:
Just stop. Every post you make further displays your ignorance and bias against our program. Spurrier spends as much time visiting recruits and trying to bring in talented players as most any coach in the country. Is there perhaps a school or two with guys who spend more time recruiting than us? Sure... It is possible.... But to compare our recruiting to Bama's the way people KEEP DOING around here is completely flipping idiotic. We are not and never will be Alabama...
Not if we don't ever do the things that they do. You forgot how much Bama sucked before Saban got there. It's not a pipe dream, you are just delusional enough to think it is so we why bother trying. Right now what Spurrier is doing is called DAMAGE CONTROL, I don't really think he deserves a pat on the back for that. He's the one the decided to hold off on Coaching staff changes and clammed up about it. He's the one that puts out that he considered leaving after this year and that he was only expecting to be here 2-3 more years.

This post was edited on 1/28 5:43 PM by ReadR00ster

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT