ADVERTISEMENT

Scarneccia looked...

LazyIslander

Aug 2, 2015
Lady's Island
mature & poised... like a seasoned veteran. He made good decisions, and his throws were crisp (not floaters). It is simply baffling that he hasn't had a chance until now. Unbelievable, really.

Up the road, Dabo will bench a senior starter who took them to the CFP last year because he thinks a true freshman is slightly better. This is a decision he made after watching them both compete in real games.

In Columbia, it's like a conscious decision was made to make sure no one got to see that there was any other option than the coach's kid. Bentley could have, and very well may have won such a true competition if given the opportunity. But you would think the coaching staff would try to do something like that even if just to avoid the appearance of daddy-ball... 'cause right now that's exactly how it seems.

I’ll offer a counter-argument - but only to one side of your point: I wonder if it’s a loyalty problem in general, but not specifically because he’s the coaches son. I think about his hire of Roper (after all the Florida people said he was a poor choice) and I wonder.

But in general, I agree. I think it’s odd that Scar never got in games. It was almost criminal last year how no one other than Bentley ever saw the ball.

To be fair, Missouri is 117 in FBS passing yards per game allowed, only has 7 sacks , 2nd to last in the SEC

And it was a home game.

I liked what I saw but knowing the opponent has a horrible pass defense keeps me from going to gaga over it.

You still have to play against them and Scar did look good handling the offense in the heat and later in the rain...

Could have Jake done the same thing and not thrown an INT???

Only if Jake can look mature & poised....

I don't think Jake trust his players and puts everything on his shoulders, leg, and arm....

He needs to act more like Scar and not his old self.....
I agree with your trust assessment. Specifically his trust in the OL... even tho they've looked pretty good. Got to be tough to flip a switch and start trusting them, so I feel for him. But trust seems to be there for Scar and that could be the biggest difference in the two. Might just be a game changer because it doesn't do any good to improve line play if the QB can't take advantage of it.

Reactions: paladin181
To be fair, Missouri is 117 in FBS passing yards per game allowed, only has 7 sacks , 2nd to last in the SEC

And it was a home game.

I liked what I saw but knowing the opponent has a horrible pass defense keeps me from going to gaga over it.
It's not about being gaga about Scar. Perhaps a healthy Bentley would have fared even better verses Mizzou. Who knows?
But the fact that this was Scar's first meaningful snaps, ever... that is what's baffling. That is what reeks of daddy-ball. And what lends credence to McIlwain's (and his momma's) contention upon his departure.

I feel the same. I'm not saying Scar is better than Jake, but he looked good enough to have pulled Jake against Kentucky for a sniff of a chance at victory when Jake only had 9 yards in the first half. The way they've kept Bentley out there it's like there was no option that was remotely viable, and now we're seeing a kid take his time, read his progressions and make on point throws. He's not Tom Brady, but he looked good against a sub par defense. And I think he warranted a shot against better ones for that performance.

You still have to play against them and Scar did look good handling the offense in the heat and later in the rain...

#1 Correct and yes Jake would probably had a int

Dabo benched Bryant in my opinion for a future first round pick at QB, so not a hard call.

I have no issue with Scar getting another start, not my argument, just some, not even on this thread, need to temper expectations, the quality of the opponent was not the best was my point

Reactions: Brace1 and HI Cock
Let me put it this way...
How many of us think Jake could have led the game winning drive at the end? Or would he have panicked?
I'll take the latter for $2000, Alex. Into his 3rd year, I just don't trust JB in big games. And all games are big now. He's not shown me he can lead, as should be expected of a 3rd year QB in the SEC.

Last edited:
SCAR seemed more poised, threw a crisper pass, had no intercepts, and seemed quicker when scrambling so yes, he deserves the start against TaM.

Reactions: okccock
I'm not trying to bash Jake, and I don't think anyone else should either. I'm sure he's out there doing his best to lead the team and that's all anyone can ask.
I AM however questioning the coaching decisions surrounding the playing time decisions.

Reactions: HI Cock
I’ll offer a counter-argument - but only to one side of your point: I wonder if it’s a loyalty problem in general, but not specifically because he’s the coaches son. I think about his hire of Roper (after all the Florida people said he was a poor choice) and I wonder.

But in general, I agree. I think it’s odd that Scar never got in games. It was almost criminal last year how no one other than Bentley ever saw the ball.

The advantage of Running Up The Score (RUTS) is that you can give the backups some playing time. We have not been good enough to RUTS, therefore not much playing time for the backups.

Reactions: LazyIslander
Let me put it this way...
How many of us think Jake could have led the game winning drive at the end? Or would he have panicked?
I'll take the latter for $2000, Alex. Into his 3rd year, I just don't trust JB in big games. And all games are big now. He's not shown me he can lead, as should be expected of a 3rd year QB in the SEC.

Let me throw this out to you...

Jake Bentley skipped his senior year and started playing college ball after 4 or 5 games into the season what should have been high school year...

The reason why he hasn't shown anyone he can be a leader, because he is still doing dumb plays and throwing INT's...

Bottom line: Jake Bentley isn't mature enough to play QB in the SEC level...

I would start Scar again, regardless if Bentley is healthy or not... He needs to see the game from the sideline and watch a mature player like Scar play...

Will Scar mess up??? Yeah, but he will show some maturity in the field....

He gets the ball out much quicker than Jake- and it made all the difference. Bentley holds onto the ball way too long- always has.

It’s still a very small body of work, but- very promising.

Reactions: rogue cock
Scar did enough to get the start this week. We will see if it was fools gold (the Missou awful pass defense) or if he could be the answer at QB this season. Not going to get my hopes up, though. The Purdue Qb put up almost 600 yards of passing against them.

Reactions: Brace1
In Columbia, it's like a conscious decision was made to make sure no one got to see that there was any other option than the coach's kid. Bentley could have, and very well may have won such a true competition if given the opportunity. But you would think the coaching staff would try to do something like that even if just to avoid the appearance of daddy-ball... 'cause right now that's exactly how it seems.
They didn't need to avoid any appearance of anything. There has been ample evidence to bench Bentley - even if just for a series to settle him down. It never happened... except for the misguided "packages" they gave BMc. It is one of the big failures of our coaching staff to this point imo.

He gets the ball out much quicker than Jake- and it made all the difference. Bentley holds onto the ball way too long- always has.

It’s still a very small body of work, but- very promising.
Yep. We actually hit some of those middle-of-the-field plays and got our TE involved. Previous games seemed like run or bomb - didn't seem methodical, HUNH offense like we were promised.

That said, we've had a ton of drops this year and we were playing a crummy defense that sold out on the run. Some of those routes may not be open against a better D... so will Scar have the poise to make the right decision?

Last edited:
Yep. We actually hit some of those middle-of-the-field play and got our TE involved. Previous games seemed like run or bomb - didn't seem methodical, HUNH offense like we were promised.

That said, we've had a ton of drops this year and we were playing a crummy defense that sold out on the run. Some of those routes may not be open against a better D... so with Scar have the poise to make the right decision?
Scar seems to see the field better and doesn't lock onto a particular receiver like Bentley is prone to do.

Scar's calmness impressed me and his passes were quite accurate. We're still having a few issues with dropped passes, though. We also need to get Shi Smith the ball more often.
He impressed me with the way he zipped balls to the WRs. He was hitting them in the chest.
Feel bad about Jake. Was hoping he would be Steve Tanneyhill.
Hope we get to see what Scar can do against a better defense. His nickname is perfect and is great Karma.

Well, he's been here like 10 years. He IS a veteran. Think how many practices he's been in. And Mizzou gave up over 500 yds passing to Purdue. But he played well. I didn't understand BMac stubbornly running 1st and 2nd downs, with 8 in the box and putting him behind the chains on 3rd down when he was throwing it so well. Maybe it was because it was so wet. We had to rely on a heroic effort by Horn and Mizzou's offense taking themselves out of the game a couple times to win with a FG.

Last edited:
He impressed me with the way he zipped balls to the WRs. He was hitting them in the chest.
Feel bad about Jake. Was hoping he would be Steve Tanneyhill.
Hope we get to see what Scar can do against a better defense. His nickname is perfect and is great Karma.
Funny thing about Tanneyhill, he came in about this time of the season to change things up. Ended up keeping the job.

Scar threw one; it was dropped. The play where they dropped the nose into coverage just like vandy did and picked jake; scar threw the ball straight to the nose guy and he dropped it.

The "coaches son" nonsense...tick off the qbs scar has sat behind since he's been here. Quite a list; Bentley's is just the last name on that list.

Mizzou came thinking that we would not throw much given that situation; we surprised them and scar executed what we asked. Won't be the case with A&M; they'll have film and they won't be giving it to us. I would say careful what you wish for, but its too late for that.

Reactions: Brace1
Scar was lucky he didn't throw 2.

Yes. He threw one on the last drive that the MO player should have easily intercepted. He didn’t. We scored, and won. If he makes the pic, game us over. MO wins. Gonna be hard to watch that on film this week for the MO player.

Reactions: vacock#
The advantage of Running Up The Score (RUTS) is that you can give the backups some playing time. We have not been good enough to RUTS, therefore not much playing time for the backups.
Also when your offense is FUBAR while the current guy is under center is a good time to try a backup that isn't gawdawful for a series or two.

I will say when your all-star starting QB is throwing really inaccurately and has 9 positive yards in a half of football, the back up should start the second half. Not a knock on Jake, just some days you don't have it. And that was clearly not his day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT