ADVERTISEMENT

Seems Like Bobby Bentley Is On USC Staff (pic)

Odd a little...but I guess it comes down to jobs and money and relationships.

It just seems odd....having gone to school with him and knowing how big a Clemson fan he was, it feels weird....
It is odd. I swear, I don't think I could ever work for clemsux, but if I was desperate for a job and ended up at clemsux & Carolina beat them, I guess I'd pretend to be mad so I could keep my job, but inside....I'd love it that clemsux lost!! I just don't know how to change a lifetime of loyalty to my team. It's not like flipping a light switch. I guess that's why I'm not in coaching.

Hate this hire but if Coach Muschamp wants it what can we do.

I hope the clemboy is gone next year.

I wouldnt worry about Bentley. The guy is a good football coach. And he went to PC, so any pull to Clemson isn't the Alma mater type. Regardless, coaches are much less into the emotional attachment to a school than the fans are. Fans spend a lifetime with all their hopes and dreams shaded in certain school colors. Coaches dont. They are merely doing their job and are probably less motivated by the old school colors than anyone in the stadium. Bentley is a very bright offensive guy. He will be fine.

Reactions: Gallobo23
It just seems odd....having gone to school with him and knowing how big a Clemson fan he was, it feels weird....

Ellis Johnson's wife was a Clemson cheerleader and she owns Miss Cocky. Chris Rumph played for us and he is/was an assistant coach at Clemson. I could never work for or pull for Clemson.

When it comes to coaching jobs anything goes really... I mean Chris Rumph, one of the better players in our history, coached at Clemson, Mark Richt was the offensive coordinator for Florida State in their glory days and he played for the U., Muschamp is Georgia alum, he coached at Florida and Auburn. There are numerous examples. So, somebody being a fan of one program and coaching for its rival is not a big deal really.

I'm glad one of the above posters pointed out that Bentley is a PC grad. Most of you remember that he returned to his alma mater to coach for a couple of years, but had the insight to realize that PC had no business playing division I football. They have never won in that league.(this is my personal opinion on why Bentley left, I do not know the man personally)

I'm glad one of the above posters pointed out that Bentley is a PC grad. Most of you remember that he returned to his alma mater to coach for a couple of years, but had the insight to realize that PC had no business playing division I football. They have never won in that league.(this is my personal opinion on why Bentley left, I do not know the man personally)

You are exactly right. From what I understand, PC promised quite a bit as far as funding for scholarships, facilities, etc., were concerned when courting Bentley for the job. Two years later those promises were taking longer to fulfill than he could tolerate. I think he sort of knew he was in a dead end situation at that point. So he called his buddies back in Duncan and they created him a place to land.

When it comes to coaching jobs anything goes really... I mean Chris Rumph, one of the better players in our history, coached at Clemson, Mark Richt was the offensive coordinator for Florida State in their glory days and he played for the U., Muschamp is Georgia alum, he coached at Florida and Auburn. There are numerous examples. So, somebody being a fan of one program and coaching for its rival is not a big deal really.

Yeah Vince Dooley finished Auburn, had many chances to return to Auburn, but never did. Pat Dye is a UGA man, and the field at Auburn is named after him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT