ADVERTISEMENT

Simone Biles pulls out of the team competition. It's unknown at this point if she will compete in the individual events.

There isn’t objective scoring in gymnastics so there is no way to truly tell if she’s being undervalued or not. It’s literally a judgment call on every aspect.
They flat out said certain techniques would not be scored because they are "too dangerous" even though she can do them fine. They are afraid of others trying to perform them to compete with her.

Phelps raced and got beat. He didn’t quit. Everyone loses…not everyone gets crushed by the pressure to the point of not competing. Sorry, the athletes in the “GOAT” conversation compete. This would be like Brady sitting out the Super Bowl.

I hope she’s alright and this might have been what is best for her. But the tattoo was premature and came off as fairly arrogant.

I mostly agree with you. Sadly. Not sure if I would go as far as to call it arrogance. If anything, I think it showed awareness for her to step aside, knowing that she would not be able to compete at the level her teammates needed. Can't call yourself GOAT if you're not going to compete though.

I mostly agree with you. Sadly. Not sure if I would go as far as to call it arrogance. If anything, I think it showed awareness for her to step aside, knowing that she would not be able to compete at the level her teammates needed. Can't call yourself GOAT if you're not going to compete though.
Echo those who said they hope she gets her mind straight. She was one of the gymnasts abused by that doctor?

You know what you’re right. I will remember her name but only as a quitter.
I bet that will absolutely shatter her life. An anonymous poster on an internet forum using a fictional name remembers the greatest gymnast in US history as a quitter. Maybe she could aspire to live up to your expectations if anybody had ever heard of you.

Reactions: GreatestCock
Simone is the best gymnast of all times, but she should not be praised for being “brave” in quitting. It happens and it’s understandable, but the moment athletes are praised for quitting, sports and society is in trouble. Would Tom Brady be praised as being brave if he withdrew from the Super Bowl because he needed to focus on his mindfulness? If Joe Biden sat in his closet and said he’s not gonna act Presidential because he needs to focus on Joe,(although we’d be better off) would the media fawn over that?

They flat out said certain techniques would not be scored because they are "too dangerous" even though she can do them fine. They are afraid of others trying to perform them to compete with her.
Well, as it is, she was apparently not performing the routine techniques well in this Olympics.

Simone is the best gymnast of all times, but she should not be praised for being “brave” in quitting. It happens and it’s understandable, but the moment athletes are praised for quitting, sports and society is in trouble. Would Tom Brady be praised as being brave if he withdrew from the Super Bowl because he needed to focus on his mindfulness? If Joe Biden sat in his closet and said he’s not gonna act Presidential because he needs to focus on Joe,(although we’d be better off) would the media fawn over that?
He did that in the months leading to the election and still won. So yeah. They would.

• Haha
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I get so tired of hearing “GOAT.” Can’t compare generations. The measuring stick is different.

Take golf. You don’t think Hogan with the perfect swing, shot making ability and competitiveness could compete with these guys today if he had the same equipment, same fitness program with all the instruments, same ball, etc.. Or Bobby Jones. Maybe some of these guys today could hit it with those shafts they used long ago.

Take basketball. You think these guys today would be as good, particularly stat wise, with an arm bar, hand on the hip defense? And the whistle blowing when your hand went under the ball or you took two steps? They regularly take 3 steps now, no whistle. Different game.

Take any sport. But it gives the talking heads something to yap about.
Don't forget the precedents that these people set that changed their games forever.

IT is amazing people don't see the flaw in this reasoning. If Tom Brady is not mentally prepared, what happens? An interception or two? IF Jordan or Pippen are not prepared, what happens? They miss some buckets. If a gymnast doing twists and flips in the air over a 4" wide beam at high speed cannot concentrate, she could be seriously injured or worse. A bunch of fat ass old men criticizing this world class champion is disgraceful. She never said she was "brave" or sought any accolades. She simply explained why she is not in a competitive place right now. But if please, if you are in a position to criticize her, go ahead and give us your athletic credentials.

IT is amazing people don't see the flaw in this reasoning. If Tom Brady is not mentally prepared, what happens? An interception or two? IF Jordan or Pippen are not prepared, what happens? They miss some buckets. If a gymnast doing twists and flips in the air over a 4" wide beam at high speed cannot concentrate, she could be seriously injured or worse. A bunch of fat ass old men criticizing this world class champion is disgraceful. She never said she was "brave" or sought any accolades. She simply explained why she is not in a competitive place right now. But if please, if you are in a position to criticize her, go ahead and give us your athletic credentials.
The irony of the same people arguing the gymnastics judges were undervaluing her are now using “safety” as a reason for her not to compete.

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
Called my boss up this morning and said I needed to take some time away to focus on mindfulness. He told me to pack my sh*t up and hit the road. What the frick?!? I was being heroic.
This is the real problem. Mental Health issues are certainly real for some but do we just let it become a trump card for everyone?

Anything you don’t want to do? Just blame your mental health to avoid doing it. Get in trouble for doing something? Just blame your mental health and get away with zero punishment?

I agree.

She quit on her team during the competition . There is nothing ‘brave’, ‘courageous’, or ‘admirable’ about that.
This is such a sad comment...How many Olympic medals do you have? Have you ever been sexually abused? Did you ever feel like you had to carry a team because America had so much expectations? From listening to people who had been abused and had any kind of mental illness they say it can creep up at anytime and have no control over then emotions. Sadly you are becoming the norm in this country.

Reactions: bigsirspur
This is such a sad comment...How many Olympic medals do you have? Have you ever been sexually abused? Did you ever feel like you had to carry a team because America had so much expectations? From listening to people who had been abused and had any kind of mental illness they say it can creep up at anytime and have no control over then emotions. Sadly you are becoming the norm in this country.

wait, what does sexual abuse have to do with this?!?

I’ve never been President of the United States but I was able to tell Trump was terrible at the job.

So I’m not sure your logic is sound on this one.

I said the tattoo of a goat proclaiming herself the greatest was arrogant. Her decision to step down, like many other athletes are beginning to do, is another issue. When will people wake up and realize this social media stuff is ruining people.

One of the problems with American society is we don't trust experts anymore. In this area, Simone Biles is the expert. If she says that it is best that she not go, then not going it is. I bet most calling her a quitter didn't see the vault and her reaction as she got lost several feet in the air. That young lady thought she was going to seriously injure herself. Now, I am no expert at this like Simone Biles. However, if I tried some flip in the air and didn't know where I was halfway through, I wouldn't be too excited to go right out and do it again. Let's face it. Most of us know very little about gymnastics. So, what sense does it make to compare it to football or the sports we may be used to. This doesn't appear to be a soldier on sport in the event something like this happens. She is an Olympic champion and a 5 Time World Champion. You don't do that by being a quitter.

Last edited:
I’ve never been President of the United States but I was able to tell Trump was terrible at the job.

So I’m not sure your logic is sound on this one.
Obviously debatable. And what a di*k for brining politics into this… So much for a good debate that will go down the $hithole. Mods should start giving temporary bans for political posts like this.

Eh, she's no Nadia. The simple fact is, you can't claim that you're the greatest and then bail. I hate that she's having issues. She's a great gymnast. But the media always wants to anoint the latest person the greatest because it generates views. GOATs don't have to proclaim that they're the greatest.
One word for this. Call it what you want. She quit when the going got tough. Part of the BL** thing. Quit and wish that you were GOAT.

Reactions: mikeypen
One of the problems with American society is we don't trust experts anymore. In this area, Simone Biles is the expert. If she says that it is best that she not go, then not going it is. I bet most calling her a quitter didn't see the vault and her reaction as she got lost several feet in the air. That young lady thought she was going to seriously injure herself. Now, I am no expert at this like Simone Biles. However, if I tried some flip in the air and didn't know where I was halfway through, I wouldn't be too excited to go right out and do it again. Let's face it. Most of us know very little about gymnastics. So, what sense does it make to compare it too football or the sports we may be used to. This doesn't appear to be a soldier on sport in the event something like this happens. She is an Olympic champion and a 5 Time World Champion. You don't do that by being a quitter.

ok, fine. But her decision shouldn’t be celebrated, right?

Can everyone agree on this simple statement: it’s ok that she quit, but it shouldn’t be celebrated.
Yes. I think most backing Biles don’t realize that we aren’t acknowledging Biles is still one of the greatest and possibly the greatest gymnast of all time. This stress, pressure stuff is going to be the norm. And to be honest, many athletes may see it as an opportunity to profit. I’m not saying Biles is, but a marginal athlete might. Osaka pulls out of tennis majors. Bikes out of the Olympics. Expect this to grow. And no, it shouldn’t be celebrated. Rather than deal with the issue by pulling out, the world needs to wake up and get to the root of the problem which is this generation stuck on the cell phones and on social media. Nobody can live up to the expectation of social media. Everyone will eventually be cancelled. Who hasn’t said something in their past that could get them cancelled? Who hasn’t screwed up in sports to cost their team the game? Who hasn’t said something that was taken out of context to offend? Yet this is where teens and folks in their 20’s mostly find their

To celebrate this is to only continue a path of destruction. She needs to do what’s best for her…as what’s done is done. But there is a bigger issue here that needs to be dealt with.

I don’t know enough about gymnastics to say whether or not Biles is the best at her sport in the history of the sport. I do know she didn’t compete in the Olympics when she was at the top of her sport. The greatest of all time just don’t do that. It’ll stick with her forever…which is why many are trying to celebrate it. That doesn’t take away from the fact she has a real issue that needs to be dealt with.

I dunno. Maybe. Was it in the middle of the team finals, costing the team a shot at the gold medal?

I just read what Biles had to say about it. Pretty easy to read between the lines: she wasn’t doing as well as she hoped to do, so she withdrew.
On the flipside, maybe it was time for everyone else to step up and not count on her being perfect so they don't have to be.

She has also withdrawn from the individual all around where she is defending champ. Guess y’all will say she quite on herself now. I’m sure y’all are willing to stoop that low.

Can everyone agree on this simple statement: it’s ok that she quit, but it shouldn’t be celebrated.

ok, fine. But her decision shouldn’t be celebrated, right?
Depends on the context that you are looking at it. If, you are looking at it in an individual context, then no. However, in the team context, I say yes. Many of us go on about how athletes are selfish and only think of themselves. However, we want to sit here and call Biles a quitter for saying, "I am not going to soldier on and cost my teammates a medal". We want to have it both ways with these athletes sometimes.

On the flipside, maybe it was time for everyone else to step up and not count on her being perfect so they don't have to be.

that’s bologna. What the heck would people say if Tom Brady said “Ive decided to sit out the Super Bowl so that others can step up so I don’t have to be perfect.” This line of thought has literally never been on anyone’s radar until now. What the heck good is it to be the best if you don’t want people counting on you??

Until someone else wins that many gymnastics championships/medals, and has 5 moves named after her, SB is the GOAT.
In gymnastics maybe. But I typically hear the GOAT conversation as being in all sports. Lebron recently stated football players shouldn’t be considered the “GOAT” because they play one side of the ball.

So the “GOAT” conversation, which is dumb to begin with, has been more about all sports combined. Biles isn’t in the conversation. And even if she is the best gymnast, the tattoo can still be a bit arrogant. She certainly got humbled this week.

In gymnastics maybe. But I typically hear the GOAT conversation as being in all sports. Lebron recently stated football players shouldn’t be considered the “GOAT” because they play one side of the ball.

So the “GOAT” conversation, which is dumb to begin with, has been more about all sports combined. Biles isn’t in the conversation. And even if she is the best gymnast, the tattoo can still be a bit arrogant. She certainly got humbled this week.
I typically hear the term GOAT applied to specific sports, not all sports as a whole. SB is the GOAT of women's gymnastics. Just as MP is the GOAT for men's swimming. MJ as the GOAT for men's hoops. And so on.

Reactions: rogue cock
They showed a little clip of her on that dancing with the stars show. One of the judges told her to smile more, and she snapped back at him and told him that smiling doesn't win gold medals.

Doesn't look like she is very good at handling losing or criticism. Not uncommon in an intense competitor and perfectionist.

that’s bologna. What the heck would people say if Tom Brady said “Ive decided to sit out the Super Bowl so that others can step up so I don’t have to be perfect.” This line of thought has literally never been on anyone’s radar until now. What the heck good is it to be the best if you don’t want people counting on you??
Here you go. Still comparing it to football. I am a football and basketball guy myself. Gymnastics is a totally different type of sport that I am not used to. From the looks of it, you are not used to it as well. It is okay to trust the experts in this area.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT