ADVERTISEMENT

So Tennessee and arky ranked above us in recruiting?

If you factor Belk and Cook into this class...there is virtually no difference in the rankings between Carolina, Ark, Tenn, and Fla. You have to go up to Auburn to get a real difference. So you have 5 in the SEC at the top and then 4 teams basically tied for 6th. The difference between 16th and 20th is insignificant.

Reactions: roosterbell
Tennessee has always been able to recruit a bit nationally. Arkansas gets a lot out of texas.

We get a lot from NC and GA. But again, I was just responding to the “relationships with HS coaches” comments. The in-state HS are the ones you have that with, as well as a few out of state we recruit from often. But can’t expect coaches will have an existing relationship with every HS in GA, NC, or FL that has a prospect.

Recruits having to camp with us for personal evaluation vs other programs approach, will always limit us on having the top 10 class with a bunch of 4 and 5 star players, imho.

The downside the fans that go strictly by the stars and class rankings, will never be happy, the upside I hope is you have less misses and more surprises since Muschamp and Co are taking more in depth looks then the rating services.

Reactions: roosterbell
Recruits having to camp with us for personal evaluation vs other programs approach, will always limit us on having the top 10 class with a bunch of 4 and 5 star players, imho.

The downside the fans that go strictly by the stars and class rankings, will never be happy, the upside I hope is you have less misses and more surprises since Muschamp and Co are taking more in depth looks then the rating services.

Whatever bama does. Do that.

Reactions: lostcock
While we sit here rationalizing, Tennessee picks up Crouch and climbs to 14th nationally. They also have a DL coming in by transfer from Michigan. We picked up a quick but largely unheralded athlete from Mullins.

Last edited:
We offered 4 in-state players and got all four. Those are the ones where the relationships are going to be developed (some of GA and NC).

I hear ya. We gotta do better. But hopefully landing Pickens over Clemson will start something. Same with Hilinski.

Spurrier’s teams benefited from the Lattimore, Jeffery, Gilmore, Holloman, Clowney tandem. Getting them helped us get some other guys. Those were all in-state players. We need more of those.
I would add Ingram and Travian Robertson to that list. Both played until 2011. 2007 class was one of our most highly rated.

Reactions: Carolina4
I would add Ingram and Travian Robertson to that list. Both played until 2011. 2007 class was one of our most highly rated.

No doubt. I was just mentioning the fact that we haven’t had that type of talent come through SC since those guys. Those two were from NC. Also more in-state guys like Swearinger.

While we sit here rationalizing, Tennessee picks up Crouch and climbs to 14th nationally. They also have a DL coming in by transfer from Michigan. We picked up a quick but largely unheralded athlete from Mullins.
Tennessee appears to be serious about getting back to prominence. Then there is the Bryce Thompson mystery. We decide not to take him and he promptly goes there and becomes an immediate starter. Feels like first year staffs are eating our lunch. Nobody knows anything apparently. We aren’t gaining ground.

Reactions: lostcock
People put too much into recruiting rankings. We filled needs on this team. Raw stars natter, but in comparable classes I'd take ours over almost anyone. Some of you guys are ridiculous looking at things in a vacuum. If you think Tenn and Arkansas are in better shape than us with this recruiting class and over all at this point, you've lost your minds. Tenn was recruiting better than us for the whole time Jones was there too, and they're STILL a hot dumpster fire.

People put too much into recruiting rankings. We filled needs on this team. Raw stars natter, but in comparable classes I'd take ours over almost anyone. Some of you guys are ridiculous looking at things in a vacuum. If you think Tenn and Arkansas are in better shape than us with this recruiting class and over all at this point, you've lost your minds. Tenn was recruiting better than us for the whole time Jones was there too, and they're STILL a hot dumpster fire.

Tennessee had crazy turnover. Their rankings under butch were a facade because of all of their transfers and wash outs. I stand by my statement. First year staffs should not be whipping our ass on the recruiting trail but alas that is what has happened.

Tennessee had crazy turnover. Their rankings under butch were a facade because of all of their transfers and wash outs. I stand by my statement. First year staffs should not be whipping our ass on the recruiting trail but alas that is what has happened.
That's my point though. You're making assumptions that they are. Technically, Tennessee was always whipping us on the recruiting trail. And we were whooping Kentucky, and still are. Better recruiting classes overall don't make better teams unless the recruits they get are the ones they need, or they can gel with the staff. It happens everywhere. The top flight programs get great players who can do it all. We get role players, as do our competitors. UK has been doing more with less, Tennessee has been doing less with more. We'll see how those directions go, but bashing a group of awesome kids who want to play for SC, or the coaching staff who brought in one of the best DLine classes in the nation, one of the best QB prospects in the nation is ludicrous. This is one of our BEST CLASSES EVER, if not the best ever. That remains to be seen on the field, at least. All I'm saying is you guys should wait until this team starts actually playing before you say this recruiting class is underwhelming.

Dang, that young man is going to Haunt us.

That's my point though. You're making assumptions that they are. Technically, Tennessee was always whipping us on the recruiting trail. And we were whooping Kentucky, and still are. Better recruiting classes overall don't make better teams unless the recruits they get are the ones they need, or they can gel with the staff. It happens everywhere. The top flight programs get great players who can do it all. We get role players, as do our competitors. UK has been doing more with less, Tennessee has been doing less with more. We'll see how those directions go, but bashing a group of awesome kids who want to play for SC, or the coaching staff who brought in one of the best DLine classes in the nation, one of the best QB prospects in the nation is ludicrous. This is one of our BEST CLASSES EVER, if not the best ever. That remains to be seen on the field, at least. All I'm saying is you guys should wait until this team starts actually playing before you say this recruiting class is underwhelming.
Uk is a senior laden team. They will be back .500 football next year. If this is one of our best ever classes then I guess it stands to reason what our win/loss record has been. I’m saying relationships with high school coaches and players should be yielding more results. First year staffs everywhere are having no problems. I was not enthusiastic at all about this hire but I thought “well, they will close the gap right in talent”....i don’t see that at all.

Tennessee appears to be serious about getting back to prominence. Then there is the Bryce Thompson mystery. We decide not to take him and he promptly goes there and becomes an immediate starter. Feels like first year staffs are eating our lunch. Nobody knows anything apparently. We aren’t gaining ground.
We're improving minimally, only to be neutralized by people who are improving more than we are.

One thing I will say we've had great luck with under the radar playmakers over the years. Rice, Cooper, Samuel were all unheralded guys. Be nice to see this kid from Mullins follow that path.

One thing I will say we've had great luck with under the radar playmakers over the years. Rice, Cooper, Samuel were all unheralded guys. Be nice to see this kid from Mullins follow that path.
It's gonna be a heck of a note if Mullins, a quarterback, makes a real place for himself at another position, while Joyner, a highly touted player, winds up being stuck in the wilderness of disuse.

I’d take Crouch for sure, but anyway, I’d like too see Pruitt’s and Morris’ wives and this, that, and the other......

We always hear that “give them time to establish relationships with the high schools” etc. First year staffs doing better than we are.
Since when doesn't UT out recruit us. Butch did that often, if not every year. UT out recruited Clemson several times during Butch's years also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT