ADVERTISEMENT

So we need a new AD?

jbouton

May 27, 2012
Many blame RT for our men's current failures. I don't understand that, but I have been wrong before.

Who would you want for AD? Fire away...

Reactions: Cbreezy33
LOL. Good luck with this thread. People on this board like to bash our AD whenever we lose a game, but have no idea what an AD is responsible for. The flamers also couldn't name five AD's in the world, and the few they could name aren't leaving their current job for Columbia.

Truth is, AD's have very little to do with wins and losses. We have the right guy. If WM does his job, great! If he doesn't, whoever AD is will fire him and we'll be somewhat disappointed on how many established coaches actually want this job over others.
See Tom Herman/Justin Fuente/etc.

Only slam dunk hires over the last 3 AD's were Tanner and Spurrier. Truth is, Spurrier wanted to be in the SEC and only job that made sense was us. He was coming here regardless who AD was. Problem is, when you hire a coach on his last leg, it often doesn't end well. And it didn't.

Mark Kingston was one win from Omaha in his first year and some want to critcize him in an obvious rebuild in year 2?!? Wake up and get a dose of reality. He needs at least 4 years to show what he can do.

LOL. Good luck with this thread. People on this board like to bash our AD whenever we lose a game, but have no idea what an AD is responsible for. The flamers also couldn't name five AD's in the world, and the few they could name aren't leaving their current job for Columbia.

Truth is, AD's have very little to do with wins and losses. We have the right guy. If WM does his job, great! If he doesn't, whoever AD is will fire him and we'll be somewhat disappointed on how many established coaches actually want this job over others.

Only slam dunk hires over the last 3 AD's were Tanner and Spurrier. Truth is, Spurrier wanted to be in the SEC and only job that made sense was us. He was coming here regardless who AD was. Problem is, when you hire a coach on his last leg, it often doesn't end well. And it didn't.

Mark Kingston was one win from Omaha in his first year and some want to critcize him in an obvious rebuild in year 2?!? Wake up and get a dose of reality. He needs at least 4 years to show what he can do.
So, in your opinion Tanner was a slam dunk hire as AD? Please! He was the easy hire, not the best hire. Just like Chad was the easy hire and not the best hire as RTs replacement. Want an example of a slam dunk hire at USC? Try using Hyman instead.

we'll be somewhat disappointed on how many established coaches actually want this job over others.
THIS. A million times, this! I wonder where fans get this idea that these great coaches are just dying to come here. They say pay them the money, but you know what...those coaches are bolting out the door the moment their dream job comes open. Herman would have left as soon as Texas was open. Riley would have left the moment Bob left OU. Kirby would have left the moment UGa was open. Then we are back to square one. We are NOT a destination job for these guys. Sorry folks if that hurts your feelings, but it's the truth.

So, in your opinion Tanner was a slam dunk hire as AD? Please! He was the easy hire, not the best hire. Just like Chad was the easy hire and not the best hire as RTs replacement. Want an example of a slam dunk hire at USC? Try using Hyman instead.
When CH was hired as an assistant, it was well known then that he would be CRT's replacement when he stepped down. It was the worst kept secret in college baseball. At the time it looked like the "best" hire. Hindsight is 20/20.

THIS. A million times, this! I wonder where fans get this idea that these great coaches are just dying to come here. They say pay them the money, but you know what...those coaches are bolting out the door the moment their dream job comes open. Herman would have left as soon as Texas was open. Riley would have left the moment Bob left OU. Kirby would have left the moment UGa was open. Then we are back to square one. We are NOT a destination job for these guys. Sorry folks if that hurts your feelings, but it's the truth.
I find it weird so many gamecock fans think this is a sucky job and that nobody wants to work at USC. That sentiment is all over this board, usually among those that think we should be pay elite salaries and expect mediocre results.

I find it weird so many gamecock fans think this is a sucky job and that nobody wants to work at USC. That sentiment is all over this board, usually among those that think we should be pay elite salaries and expect mediocre results.

It's not that it's a sucky job. It's just that people need to realize that these coaches that they want aren't looking to end their careers here. Most of the ones mentioned that people wanted last time would have been here a season or two at best before bolting for their dream job. The irony is that when we were looking for a DC, CWM was mentioned a great deal for that position, along with being made HCIW. But the masses have conveniently forgotten that.

Maybe, just maybe, it's time to do something so not-Carolina and stick with a coach for a while, let him build a staff around him, and see what happens.

When CH was hired as an assistant, it was well known then that he would be CRT's replacement when he stepped down. It was the worst kept secret in college baseball. At the time it looked like the "best" hire. Hindsight is 20/20.
There's a big difference between hiring Chad as an assistant with the Coach-in-waiting tag and actually giving him the position. Her should have been granted an interview for the job, and if Ray could find someone better, then hire him. But I can't believe there were no baseball coaches with successful head coach experience who wouldn't have jumped at there opportunity.

It's not that it's a sucky job. It's just that people need to realize that these coaches that they want aren't looking to end their careers here. Most of the ones mentioned that people wanted last time would have been here a season or two at best before bolting for their dream job. The irony is that when we were looking for a DC, CWM was mentioned a great deal for that position, along with being made HCIW. But the masses have conveniently forgotten that.

Maybe, just maybe, it's time to do something so not-Carolina and stick with a coach for a while, let him build a staff around him, and see what happens.
^^^^This^^^^ Always said Spurrier should have got CWM as DC and HCIW instead he promoted mumbles.

There's a big difference between hiring Chad as an assistant with the Coach-in-waiting tag and actually giving him the position. Her should have been granted an interview for the job, and if Ray could find someone better, then hire him. But I can't believe there were no baseball coaches with successful head coach experience who wouldn't have jumped at there opportunity.
I understand that. We can talk about how things should have been done in 2012, but that is not how things were set up at all. CH was replacing CRT regardless. No point in having interviews for the position when the entire college baseball world knew the job was going to CH.

Many blame RT for our men's current failures. I don't understand that, but I have been wrong before.

Who would you want for AD? Fire away...

images

Exactly! Reality is harsh. It's a good job, not an elite football job.

Also, if every elite baseball program got the best of the best, you think Mississippi St would have landed Chris Lemonis? Texas got some guy from Tulane and SamHoustonSt named David Pierce?? Longhorns have more money than anybody, but they also learned you don't just get to poach whoever you want.

You think Dan Radakovich is a genius?? He inherited Dabo Swinney who NOBODY else wanted. His basketball and baseball programs are doing nothing to brag about.
Eric Hyman (see Darrin Horn) is so smart Texas A&M fired him in two short years, brought in a new guy who made Jimbo Fisher the highest paid coach of all-time.

What AD's are so brilliant, so Slam-Dunkish, that you feel the need to bash Ray every time we lose a game? Anybody?

Truth is AD's get way too much credit for wins and losses. I'll take a guy who is nationally respected by coaches in all sports, is a great fund raiser, who continually improves facilities, and who actually WANTS to be here.
You can have some suit who comes here and is constantly looking for a "better" AD job like Eric Hyman did his entire time in Columbia.

I agree. I didn't like the WM hire and I certainly didn't like the CH hire. That said, they needed a fair shot and they both have gotten it. We'll see how it goes. And if we have to change coaches, I think that WM will leave the talent and resources in place for the next guy.

We have the right guy at AD. Because you said so and everyone that disagrees is clueless. Thanks for nothing. My ten year old could write a thesis that compelling. If WM tanks, Tanner is gone. AD job is about hires and fires. Football is one you can't screw up.

Last edited:
I deem this post of the day.

We have right guy at AD. Because you said so and everyone that disagrees is clueless. Thanks for nothing. My ten year could write a thesis that compelling. If WM tanks, Tanner is gone. AD job is about hires and fires. Football is one you can't screw up.
Tanner will leave when he retires...on his own. You may as well accept it.

Exactly! Reality is harsh. It's a good job, not an elite football job.

Also, if every elite baseball program got the best of the best, you think Mississippi St would have landed Chris Lemonis? Texas got some guy from Tulane and SamHoustonSt named David Pierce?? Longhorns have more money than anybody, but they also learned you don't just get to poach whoever you want.

You think Dan Radakovich is a genius?? He inherited Dabo Swinney who NOBODY else wanted. His basketball and baseball programs are doing nothing to brag about.
Eric Hyman (see Darrin Horn) is so smart Texas A&M fired him in two short years, brought in a new guy who made Jimbo Fisher the highest paid coach of all-time.

What AD's are so brilliant, so Slam-Dunkish, that you feel the need to bash Ray every time we lose a game? Anybody?

Truth is AD's get way too much credit for wins and losses. I'll take a guy who is nationally respected by coaches in all sports, is a great fund raiser, who continually improves facilities, and who actually WANTS to be here.
You can have some suit who comes here and is constantly looking for a "better" AD job like Eric Hyman did his entire time in Columbia.
Great post!

There is probably some truth to this but it still doesn't justify throwing out unwarranted raises for a 6-7 season either. There are plenty of coaches that have as much or more ability than Muschamp that would love to coach here. Hell, if they win an SEC title (in my lifetime), then give them an obscene contract. One they cant refuse. We can afford it if Clemson can.

It amazes me how so many on this board completely exonerate Ray Tanner from responsibility for the on-the-field success of his programs. He hires, manages and fires the coaches. Where else in employment is the boss not responsible for the performance of the folks that report to him/her. Come on. Apply some logic.

I fault Tanner for the back seat he took to Spurrier running our program into the ground more than I fault him for Mushcamp. I am nervous about WM's ability to be a success but also agree he has not been given enough time. This year is tough for him because we could be significantly improved as a team with not many more wins on the field. Not sure the fanbase will be ok with that.

The biggest dings on Tanner is him armchair watching the downfall of our program under Spurrier and the current dumpster fire situation with our once elite baseball program. Two VERY legitimate critiques of RT. I had grave concerns he was the right choice when he was hired with zero AD experience. Those concerns have grown after observing him for 7 years on the job.

It amazes me how so many on this board completely exonerate Ray Tanner from responsibility for the on-the-field success of his programs. He hires, manages and fires the coaches. Where else in employment is the boss not responsible for the performance of the folks that report to him/her. Come on. Apply some logic.

I fault Tanner for the back seat he took to Spurrier running our program into the ground more than I fault him for Mushcamp. I am nervous about WM's ability to be a success but also agree he has not been given enough time. This year is tough for him because we could be significantly improved as a team with not many more wins on the field. Not sure the fanbase will be ok with that.

The biggest dings on Tanner is him armchair watching the downfall of our program under Spurrier and the current dumpster fire situation with our once elite baseball program. Two VERY legitimate critiques of RT. I had grave concerns he was the right choice when he was hired with zero AD experience. Those concerns have grown after observing him for 7 years on the job.
Oh, I don't know. There are plenty in our fanbase with their panties still in a bunch over Spurrier's exit that will be A-OK with it. Some will even lobby for Muschamp to be given the same amount of time Spurrier got, regardless of results.

The best baseball coach in America.

Who in 2009 and early 2010, was called over the hill, can't win enough to get us to Omaha, can't recruit talent on the level of Florida and LSU, needs to fire his pitching coach or he should be gone; didn't want to beat his alma mater and that's why we lost the regional in Raleigh.

All this posted right here on this board.

Well we lucky cuz I don’t think Georgia (Champs Dream Job) will be calling Muschamp back home unless they need a DC

Same with an experienced AD

Reactions: Legendary Cock
We have the right guy at AD. Because you said so and everyone that disagrees is clueless. Thanks for nothing. My ten year old could write a thesis that compelling. If WM tanks, Tanner is gone. AD job is about hires and fires. Football is one you can't screw up.

My 8 year old could go on a message board and post 14,000 times....but he has a life so he doesn't. My 9 year old could come up with something more compelling than "AD job is about hires and fires". Little more to it. Otherwise you could just hire a consulting firm to make all your hires and call it your "AD"
My 12 year old can make an intelligent argument as to who they would have hired instead of WM, in order to bolster their argument. Tom Herman? Kirby Smart? Lincoln Riley? Oh yeah, my wife could tell you none of them were taking the job.
So who should've been the hire message board genius?? We're all waiting on your great wisdom...so is my 5 year old niece.

Tanner will leave when he retires...on his own. You may as well accept it.
Didn't you say we already had a president already picked out and that person would keep Ray come hell or high water? Well, that president is still in NY and he ain't coming here.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Yes and all of the BOD's and start over!
The Board had the fix in for the president's job, wasting time and money on a failed search because their choice couldn't handle questions from undergrads. What a bunch of ass grabbing, good old boy clowns.

So, they gave Ray another two years to hamstring the new president from making a change.

We deserve better than these people.

Didn't you say we already had a president already picked out and that person would keep Ray come hell or high water? Well, that president is still in NY and he ain't coming here.
No, I never said we had a new president picked out. Stop making stuff up.Eyeroll

My 8 year old could go on a message board and post 14,000 times....but he has a life so he doesn't. My 9 year old could come up with something more compelling than "AD job is about hires and fires". Little more to it. Otherwise you could just hire a consulting firm to make all your hires and call it your "AD"
My 12 year old can make an intelligent argument as to who they would have hired instead of WM, in order to bolster their argument. Tom Herman? Kirby Smart? Lincoln Riley? Oh yeah, my wife could tell you none of them were taking the job.
So who should've been the hire message board genius?? We're all waiting on your great wisdom...so is my 5 year old niece.
So wait those 3 coaches and Muschamp were the only available coaches. Well, I guess it makes sense then since you put it that way. I always pick the proven failure over the unknown myself. I like to know what Im getting. I like risk aversion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT