ADVERTISEMENT

Softball: #17 USC vs. #1 Washington

Just tied up #1 Washington 2-2 in the T5 with 4 straight hits and have the go ahead run at 3rd. Game is on ESPNU.

Update: Now 4-2 Good Gals.
Thanks for the update!!!! Let's make it a clean sweep of wins today

That was crazy. Washington player hits a ground ball up the middle, our SS fields it just as the lights in the stadium go out, and she manages to step on second in the dark for the force out to end the inning.

T6: USC 4, UW 2.

Currently in a delay waiting for the lights to come back on.

That was crazy. Washington player hits a ground ball up the middle, our SS fields it, the lights in the stadium go out, and she manages to step on second in the dark for the force out to end the inning.

T6: USC 4, UW 2.
This is what it is like to be a Gamecock. Sorta like Burch signing with us and waiting it out. Cremins singing to coach us until he backed out.
I'm looking forward to ending this crazy streak. Go Cocks!!

Reactions: Ragin Rooster
Lights are back on, but the Cocks go 3 up, 3 down in T6. 6 outs to go for Kelsey Oh....

UW runners now on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. K!!! Now 2 outs, tying run on 2nd. And.... a double ties it up 4-4.

And then an infield hit with a throwing error to score the go ahead run from 2nd. 5-4 Huskies....

T7: USC 4, UW 5.

We need some magic!

Last edited:
Tell it like it is - misplayed ball by left fielder allows 2 runs to score. She plays it correctly and 1 run scores and we play on - bad play on LF followed by a terrible throw from SS that allows the go ahead run. Terrible terrible defense in that inning

Reactions: mavcock
Nothing doing in the 7th as we go down 1-2-3 and let one slip away. We just don't have the pitching depth to hang with the top teams in this kind of setting. Still a good showing and a fun game to watch, though.

Tell it like it is - misplayed ball by left fielder allows 2 runs to score. She plays it correctly and 1 run scores and we play on - bad play on LF followed by a terrible throw from SS that allows the go ahead run. Terrible terrible defense in that inning

No idea why Coach left #24 in LF instead of replacing her with a defensive OF late in the game. #24 was the player with the pinch hit single to take a 4-2 lead. She's a utility player not a true OF.

Reactions: GeoCocky
Probably win enough to make the tournament, but then won't go any further. At some point you have to advance and make the WCWS. Our softball program should be right up there, no excuses. Long for the days of Trinity Johnson, now that was some pitching.

Reactions: vacock#
Anyone know what happened to Drotar the day before? Heard them mention she was injured and couldn't play against Washington

I remember long years ago there was a pitcher in HS here in SC that ended her HS career with a .75 ERA (or something like that - I know it was below 1) that’s Career ERA and she grew up a USC fan. We didn’t even extend an offer and she eventually signed with LSU. Can say the program has gotten better but things like that should never happen

I remember long years ago there was a pitcher in HS here in SC that ended her HS career with a .75 ERA (or something like that - I know it was below 1) that’s Career ERA and she grew up a USC fan. We didn’t even extend an offer and she eventually signed with LSU. Can say the program has gotten better but things like that should never happen
Joyce Compton would do nearly all her recruiting on the west coast. She later regretted that to a certain extent. She missed out on a lot of local talent. SS from Stratford that played in my organization went to uga after SMC and became one of uga's greatest SS on a team that was one of the best in the country. Hell, my own kid was a two time Gamecock Camp MVP and didnt get an offer dispite several other offers out of state. Glad those times are gone tho. Compton was great, but did have her flaws.

I can identify with getting snubbed by USC, although basaball.
Lowest era in the state. Best record in 4A. Throwing 90-92. Yardcock love died after that.

What's it going to take to get our softball program back to an elite level? Getting to the ncaa tournament is great and we've proven we can do that pretty consistently now, but we can't get over the hump. Is Beverly Smith the coach that can get us there? And those that put down softball, you might want to look and see the coverage that's on ESPN now.

I can identify with getting snubbed by USC, although basaball.
Lowest era in the state. Best record in 4A. Throwing 90-92. Yardcock love died after that.
Hard to get upset when it was the entire state getting snubbed in softball. So I had no animosity. I hear ya on baseball tho.
As a coach that part of his job was getting girls signed, I would make it clear that they cant be so quick to pass up on other offers just because their hope is to play at USC. Almost zero chance of that happening back then. That's just the way it was. Again, glad that has changed.

Hard to get upset when it was the entire state getting snubbed in softball. So I had no animosity. I hear ya on baseball tho.
As a coach that part of his job was getting girls signed, I would make it clear that they cant be so quick to pass up on other offers just because their hope is to play at USC. Almost zero chance of that happening back then. That's just the way it was. Again, glad that has changed.

Im not sure if baseball has changed or not. New coach obviously in ten years but hes still the AD. There was a lot of politics involved back then

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT