ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina..... We have a problem...,

But we should hit them.... the pitcher who pitched in the 9th inning was a transfer from a division 3 school and we went down swing 3 times...

Not good!

We're playing NCAA caliber teams. Wright State won 46 games last year and 44 the year before. They almost knocked out Louisville in the Regional. UNC-G is picked to win the SoCon this year (not something to look down our noses at - darn good baseball played in the SoCon). They aren't bad competition. I'm more pissed at our defense. 2 HANDS on the INF Fly. And no lollygagging in the OF!

FWIW...last Sunday was simply a case of the "at-ems". We hit the ball hard, just at guys. Their guys made some amazing stabs, TBH.

Haven't the fans been begging for us to play better OOC competition early on to get a good idea of what needs to be fixed early on instead of waiting until SEC play to find out where our problems are? Well they go their wish. Do we have problems, yes. But it's still early. Too many people are already acting like the season is over, much like was going on in 2010.

We're playing NCAA caliber teams. Wright State won 46 games last year and 44 the year before. They almost knocked out Louisville in the Regional. UNC-G is picked to win the SoCon this year (not something to look down our noses at - darn good baseball played in the SoCon). They aren't bad competition. I'm more pissed at our defense. 2 HANDS on the INF Fly. And no lollygagging in the OF!

FWIW...last Sunday was simply a case of the "at-ems". We hit the ball hard, just at guys. Their guys made some amazing stabs, TBH.

Haven't the fans been begging for us to play better OOC competition early on to get a good idea of what needs to be fixed early on instead of waiting until SEC play to find out where our problems are? Well they go their wish. Do we have problems, yes. But it's still early. Too many people are already acting like the season is over, much like was going on in 2010.

No we have bigger problems than just playing NCAA caliber teams... Our hitting is bad and the number 9 hitter in the line up is leading the team in batting average at .357 That's not good and it's more than "at-ems"...

I believe in stats and when took stats at the game, I can see the game as a whole and figure out everything unfolds...

Big difference in the skippers at the helm.
Forgetting that fans were complaining because Ray hadn't been to Omaha in 7 years. People, on this site, were calling for Ray to be fired. Our fans trashed calvi and tanner because they decided to start a little known lefty named Michael Roth vs Clemson in Omaha. The rest is history.

We have some of the most baseball ignorant fans in the country. Sorry not sorry.

No we have bigger problems than just playing NCAA caliber teams... Our hitting is bad and the number 9 hitter in the line up is leading the team in batting average at .357 That's not good and it's more than "at-ems"...

I believe in stats and when took stats at the game, I can see the game as a whole and figure out everything unfolds...
I said we have problems. But unlike in the past when we were trying to fix them in the middle of SEC play, we can work to fix them early in the season BEFORE the heart of our schedule.

If we sweep Clempson, I expect about 5 posters to just turn off their baseball filters for about 1-2 months and quit posting.

If we lose the Clempson series, I'm surely going to do the same for myself.

Reactions: cockofdawn
A team with a losing record, going into Sunday, was ranked?? WOW.. and if a 5-3 Team is still top five, there are issues with the rankings..
If you are talking about the baseballamerica rankings, they will not move a team down at the beginning of the season if they win their weekend series.

They constantly have to repeat that during their chat sessions each week at the beginning of the year. Also at the beginning of the season they will not move someone passed another team that won their weekend series. If we beat App State and sweep Clempson this week, we would not move in their rankings unless a team above us loses a series.

It's very weird but at least they are consistent about it. By the end of the season, they put a lot more weight into sweeping teams.

Regarding our #9 hitter,
Whether they are doing this on purpose or not, the #9 slot typically isn't the 'low man' on the batting order anymore. It's usually a speeder baserunner with a decent bat that couldn't make the 1st or 2nd slot in the order.

If I remember correctly, JBJ was batting #9 for the Red Sox before he went on his All Star streak.

Regarding our #9 hitter,
Whether they are doing this on purpose or not, the #9 slot typically isn't the 'low man' on the batting order anymore. It's usually a speeder baserunner with a decent bat that couldn't make the 1st or 2nd slot in the order.

If I remember correctly, JBJ was batting #9 for the Red Sox before he went on his All Star streak.
It's absolutely by design right now. Because when Hop is out, Danny is leadoff. I may not understand it sometimes given Hop's sometime struggles in ABs, but it's most certainly on purpose. Hop's leadoff primarily because he is faster than Danny. Although we were all praying on Friday that his hammy wouldn't give out on that score from 1B (maybe 2B).

Regarding our #9 hitter,

They tried Blair at leadoff and he struggled. Some players just aren't comfortable leading off.

Some fans just don't understand.

This team, so far, is not where they need to be, lets hope they turn it around and play like SC, Heck, losing to UNCG, Kansas st and now Wright state, not known as powerhouses. And losing on Sunday is much worse than losing Friday and winning Sunday from a momentum stand point I M O ( IMO, so dont go calling em names and saying both are just one loss)....

What does "play like SC" mean in the Holbrook era?

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

They tried Blair at leadoff and he struggled. Some players just aren't comfortable leading off.

Some fans just don't understand.
A lot of it is simply understood by people that have played.

My senior year in high school, I had the biggest bat but wasn't great with the base running so I got put at #5.

99% of the reason why you have your #1-3 guys in the order that you do is to give your best chance to get at least a run to start off the 1st inning. Everything else gets moved around depending on other criteria. We used to have a guy that consistently choked when we had him at the top of the order. He was extremely fast and could lay a bunt like it was his professional job. We moved him to #9 and all of a sudden we started getting dedicated runs every time the 7 or 8 spot came up to bat during later innings. Bases empty, he would either hit a chopper to 3rd/ss or lay a surprise bunt and get on. We would get him to steal 2nd then the the batter at #1 would do a hit and run 75% of the time.

Forgetting that fans were complaining because Ray hadn't been to Omaha in 7 years. People, on this site, were calling for Ray to be fired. Our fans trashed calvi and tanner because they decided to start a little known lefty named Michael Roth vs Clemson in Omaha. The rest is history.

We have some of the most baseball ignorant fans in the country. Sorry not sorry.

Some would have fired Mainieri since he hasn't won a title since 2009, and has only been back twice since then.

Someone told me we won a series against a ranked team this weekend - but from reading this thread, that must have been incorrect! Given how bad I hear Wright St is - I bet CU really kicked their butts last weekend. Anybody have any idea how that series turned out? Good grief- if we keep winning series against ranked teams, this will be a long year indeed.

I don't think so. I just think that a program that has won 2 National Championships and has played in the Title Game 6 different times is a program with a very rich history and should expect a whole lot more in return.

I don't think so. I just think that a program that has won 2 National Championships and has played in the Title Game 6 different times is a program with a very rich history and should expect a whole lot more in return.
I think the expectation is what everyone is having a problem with. Losses happen in baseball... period. You talk about how we won 2 national championships and we should expect a whole lot more in return.

People forget about how sketchy the 2010 season started off. People forget we lost some real head scratchers at times in 2011.

There's been some valid concerns brought up but it's the beginning of the season. Acting like chicken little this early in the season is only showing your inexperience with baseball.

I think that's what his comment is about.

Reactions: RaginRooster
Quick question--Why aren't we seeing more of McIlwain and Cortes? Is that more of an indictment on them or the fact that the guys ahead of them are just looking much better in practice/preseason?

Am I the only one that has noticed that 5 of the top 10 teams in the current rankings have at least 2 losses and that 3 teams (including SC) have 3 losses? This is NOT unusual in the game of baseball! RELAX!

I've read where several people have mentioned that....but I don't remember more than a couple of fans that had any complaints about Tanner. Fans loved his response of "I'll go when my team goes" with respect to the question of why he didn't attend the CWS along with other coaches. Fans remembered that he took over a moribund program and had to rebuild it from the ground up....much like Martin and, now, Muschamp...and baseball teams are difficult to rebuild for numerous reasons (scholarship limitations, drafting of the top recruits, top recruits who decide to go the JC route just to have an extra shot at the draft, etc...).

Reactions: RaginRooster
Regarding our #9 hitter,

3 up 3 down, 3 up 3 down 2 up 2 down and the 9th hitter gets a hit, just for the lead off hitter becomes the 3rd out....

Also, too many time runners on the corner, with 1 out or less... Come up empty... If we're lucky... Maybe a run....

Chad should have hired a hitting coach and get his butt out of the dugout...

I've read where several people have mentioned that....but I don't remember more than a couple of fans that had any complaints about Tanner. Fans loved his response of "I'll go when my team goes" with respect to the question of why he didn't attend the CWS along with other coaches. Fans remembered that he took over a moribund program and had to rebuild it from the ground up....much like Martin and, now, Muschamp...and baseball teams are difficult to rebuild for numerous reasons (scholarship limitations, drafting of the top recruits, top recruits who decide to go the JC route just to have an extra shot at the draft, etc...).

In 2010 after losing at ECU and then losing the series to Clemsux, which included a home loss of 19-6, TONS were calling for Ray to be fired, saying the game had passed him by, he was in over his head, etc. None of what you mentioned mattered to many.

In 2010 after losing at ECU and then losing the series to Clemsux, which included a home loss of 19-6, TONS were calling for Ray to be fired, saying the game had passed him by, he was in over his head, etc. None of what you mentioned mattered to many.
I must've been on the board a lot less than I thought I was in those days.

It wasn't just here. It was everywhere. Call in shows, comment sections on online articles, etc.
Yes, it happened. Fire ray. Fire calvi. Started like you said with ECU, got louder after 19-6. The fans were still trashing coaches while in omaha.

Pregame Omaha vs Clemson 2010, I am listening to fans complain about Roth starting on 1075. After the game, I catch Calvi at the bus, I said it's hard to believe you were taking a beating on the radio in columbia for starting a kid who just tossed a gem of a game. Calvi smirked and asked what I was talking about. I told him about the fans back home calling in pregame. Guy just shook his head and smiled in disbelief.

I must've been on the board a lot less than I thought I was in those days.

Yeah, you couldn't miss people calling for Tanner to go on the boards. Lots of people saying things like "Tanner will never win a national championship" and such. I mean, Dawn Staley wins 4 SEC titles in a row and there are people complaining about her on this board, ROTFLMAO.

In HHI, we don't get any USC radio or news coverage. Get more UGA stuff.
Hargray cable does carry WCSC TV from Charleston, which does cover USC, Clemron, and the Chas colleges. Or get a VERY high TV antenna to pick up other TV stations from Chas. It sux that the FCC/Nielson puts Beaufort County in the Savannah TV Market. :(

107.5 The Game has a smartphone app. While they cannot legally live stream play-by-play of USC athletic contests, you can listen to the load daily talk shows streamed live. With my car's bluetooth adapter, I listen to the "Lunch" talk show between 12 noon and 1:00pm through my car's radio. Not perfect, but it helps. :)

Reactions: rogue cock
Hargray cable does carry WCSC TV from Charleston, which does cover USC, Clemron, and the Chas colleges. Or get a VERY high TV antenna to pick up other TV stations from Chas. It sux that the FCC/Nielson puts Beaufort County in the Savannah TV Market. :(

107.5 The Game has a smartphone app. While they cannot legally live stream play-by-play of USC athletic contests, you can listen to the load daily talk shows streamed live. With my car's bluetooth adapter, I listen to the "Lunch" talk show between 12 noon and 1:00pm through my car's radio. Not perfect, but it helps. :)
Thanks. I knew Hargray carried WCSC on the higher channels, but WCSC doesn't report anything to do with Beaufort County unlike a couple of the Savannah stations. Guess you can't have everything.

Thanks. I knew Hargray carried WCSC on the higher channels, but WCSC doesn't report anything to do with Beaufort County unlike a couple of the Savannah stations. Guess you can't have everything.

WCSC is on channel 114 in SD; I think it's 419 in HD.

You are correct, WCSC doesn't report much on Beaufort County because Beaufort County is in the Savannah DMA (DMA = Direct Marketing Area), meaning that it's in Savannah's coverage area for advertising, market research, etc.

WTOC CBS Savannah has a bureau in Beaufort (wish they could turn that bureau over to sister Raycom station WCSC and open one in Brunswick, GA - Brunswick is in the Jacksonville DMA), and WSAV NBC Savannah has a bureau in Bluffton.

Beaufort County is considered out of market vis-a-vis Charleston TV, but because we're close enough to pick up their over-the-air signals, we're also considered "significantly viewed". The FCC takes that into consideration, which is why Beaufort County cable providers (Hargray, Comcast, and TWC - am I leaving out anybody?) can legally negotiate with some of the Charleston stations for carriage.

When I'm in Beaufort and watching network TV/news, I always watch Charleston; I simply won't watch Savannah unless a station there is carrying a program not being shown in Charleston (some NFL games come to mind). I can read the Beaufort Gazette to get all the Beaufort news I need.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT