ADVERTISEMENT

Spoiled brat kids these days

ScWildthing61

Sep 10, 2011
Almost ain't worth having kids anymore, I saw a kid (8 maybe 9) at the store with his parents and he wanted some type of sugary cereal, and his mom told him it had too much sugar and it was too expensive, so she got a store brand of another cereal, this kid starts whining up a storm and making a scene, shouting at his mom who stood there appalled and embarrassed one of the things the kid said to his mom was: "I don't want this, get my MF cereal B****!" And the worst part of this was his dad was standing there too, and didn't do anything about it. A far cry from my childhood when I would've gotten the back of my mom's hand across my mouth followed by my mouth being washed out with soap just for saying "damn".

I have kids and see kids all the time. Have never seen anything like that.

Most of the spoiled brats I see are from the boomer generation. That's not a swipe at an entire generation. Just what I see in public and on TV.

Sounds more like a one off than any sort of generational thing.

Almost ain't worth having kids anymore, I saw a kid (8 maybe 9) at the store with his parents and he wanted some type of sugary cereal, and his mom told him it had too much sugar and it was too expensive, so she got a store brand of another cereal, this kid starts whining up a storm and making a scene, shouting at his mom who stood there appalled and embarrassed one of the things the kid said to his mom was: "I don't want this, get my MF cereal B****!" And the worst part of this was his dad was standing there too, and didn't do anything about it. A far cry from my childhood when I would've gotten the back of my mom's hand across my mouth followed by my mouth being washed out with soap just for saying "damn".
This is not a child issue. This is a parenting issue. These parents should take a page out of Beth's (Yellowstone) parenting guide.

I was waiting in line at the U-Scan in Target when some girl was arguing with her mom about a toy she wanted. That little snot finally yells, "JUST SWIPE THE CARD, MOM!!" I wanted to smack her myself. But she got the toy.

With every day that goes by, I am more and more reassured in my decision not to breed. Don't like kids. They dirty, they expensive, they bad for the environment, and I don't care what parents say about their kids...they pretty much ruin your life. You just become a chauffer and a maid. And no one really wants to use their hard earned vacation time taking little Billy down the Disneyworld for the week.

giphy.gif

I like my kids - they push the envelope sometimes but I've been able to keep them in check.
This kid in the grocery store, while more common I guess, is still not an accurate portrayal of "all kids" these days.

What I find funny as a parent on younger kids is all the older generation clamors on about "all the stuff kids have these days" and so on but I also see grandparents spoiling kids and also partaking in the same fruits of technology, television, travel, government assistance, etc. that we have at this time in history. The whole "we didn't have this back in our day" is a good argument if and only if you are choosing the old way of life and not falling in line with the rest of the younger generations.

My mom said something the other day and I asked - "Well, Mom, are you willing to give up your iPhone???" - there's a lot of hypocrisy out there with the older generation if you ask me.

Not wanting kids because of how you see a "bad kid" act is ridiculous and lazy thinking...lazy thinking leads to lazy actions, so you're likely right that you wouldn't be a good parent in that sense. If you are intentional, stay involved, demand respect, promote serving others, and a whole bunch of other things then your kids have just as good a chance now as they ever have.

Last edited:
When I was 8 or 9 I didn't even know that kind of language. I remember saying "damn" once about that age and being terrified that I was about to get a spanking. Fortunately it was at my grandparents' house and they thought it was more funny than anything.

Try that backhand across the mouth nowadays and see what happens. In a few minutes you’ll be handcuffed in the back seat of a cruiser on the way to the jailhouse. I don’t like the hitting in the face thing at any time, in public or at home, that’s not called for. That being said, I was disciplined with switches and belts across my ass and it was very effective.

I was waiting in line at the U-Scan in Target when some girl was arguing with her mom about a toy she wanted. That little snot finally yells, "JUST SWIPE THE CARD, MOM!!" I wanted to smack her myself. But she got the toy.

With every day that goes by, I am more and more reassured in my decision not to breed. Don't like kids. They dirty, they expensive, they bad for the environment, and I don't care what parents say about their kids...they pretty much ruin your life. You just become a chauffer and a maid. And no one really wants to use their hard earned vacation time taking little Billy down the Disneyworld for the week.
The behavior of other people's kids shouldn't affect how your kids behave if you ever had any. My son is 10 months old and it's been an incredible 10 months. He's fun, happy, and just lights up the room. Obviously the hard part starts now, as he's getting old enough to know what's right and wrong. But if he turns out poorly, that's my fault, not his.

Blame the parents, not the kids.

It's a tough time for kids with all the connectivity and social media. They have to worry about things we never had to worry about and there's nowhere to hide and take a breath. They also don't get outside as much. I feel for them. I feel like my childhood; although not perfect, was so much better. Their world changes so quickly it's hard for them to feel secure.

I heard someone say it's the first time the world has changed this much faster than a human's ability to keep up.

You gotta start early, be strict, and be consistent. I was strict and relatively tough on my two early on. Admittedly, I got softer on them as they got older (I could/should have done better), but both turned out to be very respectful, with good ethics and manners. Heck, it's easy to set that foundation of discipline when they're young; I don't understand how parents can neglect that.

Parenting and/or nutritional issues. If you clean up the diet of most kids, they typically respond. Instead, this kid will likely continue to eat cereal in front of his/her IPAD for breakfast and will end up on ADHD drugs like half of the kids in America. It's programmed that way.

Ken in Sacramento is 100% right. The today's world is a far more difficult place for kids. No daily movement, crappy enriched fake food, technology impacting health, sleep and brain function, etc.

Selfish bastard! Fine to not want kids but your view of kids is crap. My favorite part of vacation is taking my kids to see something they have never seen.

I have kids and see kids all the time. Have never seen anything like that.

Most of the spoiled brats I see are from the boomer generation. That's not a swipe at an entire generation. Just what I see in public and on TV.

Sounds more like a one off than any sort of generational thing.
The boomer generation? Those are the parents who would smack their kids in the mouth for swearing and make them eat soap. My parents are the boomer generation and I would NEVER have done that. They would have spanked me right there in that store aisle. Plus, as a teacher, I see how kids have changed over the last decades. Kids have gotten more entitled and believe they are entitled to act the same as the adults in the room who are charged with their care and education. A lot of things are misdirected towards the boomers. This is just another one.

I should qualify all of this by saying I agree that most of the problems are parenting problems. Boomers knew that it was their job to discipline their kids and not be their kids' friends. These days, with all the pop psychology about not disciplining kids and spanking is bad, blah blah, blah, you see that a lack of discipline creates disrespectful kids. I am not saying you spank kids for no reason--it's truly a last resort and even then, it's not always the appropriate punishment; however, too many parents aren't willing to be the parent and not the friend, which creates this false sense of equality between the parent and the child.

Last edited:
Could be the “dad” was not the kid’s dad. The baby momma mother may have told him to not interfere. Probably in more colorful terms. You never know. It’s not worth having ignorant and disrespectful citizens who vote, either. Ha

Parenting and/or nutritional issues. If you clean up the diet of most kids, they typically respond. Instead, this kid will likely continue to eat cereal in front of his/her IPAD for breakfast and will end up on ADHD drugs like half of the kids in America. It's programmed that way.

Ken in Sacramento is 100% right. The today's world is a far more difficult place for kids. No daily movement, crappy enriched fake food, technology impacting health, sleep and brain function, etc.
I agree with this. Kids have a different world than we did. Bullyingm, for example, stopped when you got home. You didn't have to worry about the 24-hour cyberbullying and the fact that so many people can pile on over the internet. I personally believe that kids shouldn't have social media so they won't be exposed to that sort of stuff.

Had I done the same with my parents, I wouldn't have been able to sit for weeks, probably months. My dad would have probably whooped my ass until he was tired, then whooped it again. My parents didn't play, and I'm thankful for that.

I was more constructive in punishment with my 2 boys, but one thing I've never EVER tolerated was disrespect, in public or private. Thank God they've both turned out well, and the one that has kids is raising them the same way.

One thing for sure, you have to start early. My wife has one that even in adulthood (older than my 2 boys) has no respect for her. She thinks she can say anything to her mother and get away with it. I told her about a year ago that although that's her mother, she's also my wife, and nobody including her would talk to her that way, and especially not at my house. I told her to leave and not come back unless it's to apologize. She hasn't been back. I'm not sad.

If you put up with disrespect, that's what you'll get until you draw a line in the sand.

I don't believe that its ALWAYS the parents' fault. Each individual is born with certain traits and personalities and they may not resemble their parents' traits at all. Some kids turn out great despite having absolutely wretched parents, while others grow up very troubled despite having good and loving parents.

Reactions: hillstosea
Those curse words from a child that young I'll bet you she, well I better not say it. You figure it out.

My grandpa told me about how he had a pack of cigarettes hidden in the playground at school, under a rock outside the church and in the outhouse at age 12. He also started keeping a bottle of moonshine hidden everywhere before he could drive. He would have been 78 this year. All generations have issues with kids, and every older generation thinks the newer is the worst.

Had I done the same with my parents, I wouldn't have been able to sit for weeks, probably months. My dad would have probably whooped my ass until he was tired, then whooped it again. My parents didn't play, and I'm thankful for that.

I was more constructive in punishment with my 2 boys, but one thing I've never EVER tolerated was disrespect, in public or private. Thank God they've both turned out well, and the one that has kids is raising them the same way.

One thing for sure, you have to start early. My wife has one that even in adulthood (older than my 2 boys) has no respect for her. She thinks she can say anything to her mother and get away with it. I told her about a year ago that although that's her mother, she's also my wife, and nobody including her would talk to her that way, and especially not at my house. I told her to leave and not come back unless it's to apologize. She hasn't been back. I'm not sad.

If you put up with disrespect, that's what you'll get until you draw a line in the sand.
Good for you. How is your wife handling the non-visits by her daughter?

My grandpa told me about how he had a pack of cigarettes hidden in the playground at school, under a rock outside the church and in the outhouse at age 12. He also started keeping a bottle of moonshine hidden everywhere before he could drive. He would have been 78 this year. All generations have issues with kids, and every older generation thinks the newer is the worst.
Did your grandfather live in Beaufort?

One thing I haven't seen in this thread is the acknowledgement that society has changed. I grew up in a generation where the parent could discipline in public. You just can't do that anymore. There are too many nosey people itching to call DSS on you the moment you even raise your voice to a kid too much. Probably the best thing the parents could have done is drop him off at a local DSS office and tell them he has to stay with you for awhile before I catch a case. Let him experience the foster parent system for a moment. If that won't straighten him up, nothing will.

This thread pops up every few months, and I feel compelled to respond. Before you trash that parent with the kid throwing a massive tantrum, make sure the child is not on the spectrum.

I don't care how good you are at discipline, if you have a child with Autism, one day, you are going to deal with it. Parents fortunate enough to have healthy, non challenged kids might want to consider that before you assume you are a superior parent or offer public scorn.

Now, carry on.

You kind of nailed it. It’s not the kids. The parents are doing their jobs raising them. Blame the sorry parents for allowing this type of behavior.

But, that is a good point made above about being on the spectrum. Though even in this case, they is something to be sad for the poor language and hearing that from somewhere. Even kids on the spectrum can be talked to and reasoned with. I don’t know anyone that lets the behavior go unchecked. Then again, who knows that they didn’t spare the child from public humiliation and discipline in private.

But it’s like poor parenting.

One thing I haven't seen in this thread is the acknowledgement that society has changed. I grew up in a generation where the parent could discipline in public. You just can't do that anymore. There are too many nosey people itching to call DSS on you the moment you even raise your voice to a kid too much. Probably the best thing the parents could have done is drop him off at a local DSS office and tell them he has to stay with you for awhile before I catch a case. Let him experience the foster parent system for a moment. If that won't straighten him up, nothing will.
If you need to discipline in public, then you're not doing your job at home. My dad used corporal punishment regularly, which I'm thankful for. But he NEVER did it in public.

Good for you. How is your wife handling the non-visits by her daughter?
Hurt to begin with for sure, not going to lie, but it's gotten much better over time. My wife still communicates with her, and she's not nearly as disrespectful as she once was, but she hasn't apologized. Maybe one day she will. Not for me, for her mother. We don't have family gatherings that would include her at our house anymore. I'm still around her at other places, but we just avoid each other. I saw her at Thanksgiving. I said "hi" and bye", that's all the interaction that I had.

This was not the first time it happened, far from it. I bit my tongue for years, watched my wife fall apart, helped her pick up the pieces, tried to let her handle it on her own. She's too gentle of a soul, and was just used to it. She treats her father with respect, because he won't put up with it. Not unreasonable to expect her to treat her mother the same way IMO. It's just a lack of respect.

The boomer generation? Those are the parents who would smack their kids in the mouth for swearing and make them eat soap. My parents are the boomer generation and I would NEVER have done that. They would have spanked me right there in that store aisle. Plus, as a teacher, I see how kids have changed over the last decades. Kids have gotten more entitled and believe they are entitled to act the same as the adults in the room who are charged with their care and education. A lot of things are misdirected towards the boomers. This is just another one.

I should qualify all of this by saying I agree that most of the problems are parenting problems. Boomers knew that it was their job to discipline their kids and not be their kids' friends. These days, with all the pop psychology about not disciplining kids and spanking is bad, blah blah, blah, you see that a lack of discipline creates disrespectful kids. I am not saying you spank kids for no reason--it's truly a last resort and even then, it's not always the appropriate punishment; however, too many parents aren't willing to be the parent and not the friend, which creates this false sense of equality between the parent and the child.

Yeah. That's true. Not sure that's a good thing though. They still make up the most selfish generation I have seen so far.

Also, who was handing out all those trophies? Millennials are the kids of boomers. So what went wrong?

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
It's a tough time for kids with all the connectivity and social media. They have to worry about things we never had to worry about and there's nowhere to hide and take a breath. They also don't get outside as much. I feel for them. I feel like my childhood; although not perfect, was so much better. Their world changes so quickly it's hard for them to feel secure.

I heard someone say it's the first time the world has changed this much faster than a human's ability to keep up.
Ken, this is really spot on. And it’s not as simple as just taking devises away, etc. The world is super-connected. To the extent that kids have to stay connected because that’s how school handles class work and grades.

My eldest, a senior in HS, has had a really good HS career, he’s a seriously talented musician, and he’s auditioning for college music scholarships over the next month. He’s also an intense kid, for better or worse, and I realized something during one of his tough semesters last year. Any of the following things could happen to send him over the edge at any time of day or night, school day or weekend: new assignment posted, missed assignment posted, bad test score drops into the school portal, good test score doesn’t get loaded right away. The kid was walking on shells constantly, waiting for the next surprise bomb that would ruin a day. We never had that particular worry. Add in social media pressures (which he thankfully could care less about), and it’s no wonder kids are “scattered and covered”, to use the Waffle House term.

And lest we think adults handle this any better, remember that the Twitter wasteland of over-reactions is the adult version.

Reactions: ken in sacramento
Kids haven't changed, parents are the ones who've changed.
This is not a child issue. This is a parenting issue. These parents should take a page out of Beth's (Yellowstone) parenting guide.

Sad, but dead-on target.

Folks, I was born in 67, and pretty much raised up thru the 70's and 80's.

I got whipped with belts and switches that my Grandparents would make ME go pick out of the tree at the corner of their house!!

Lord knows if I didn't pick the right size, then my grandfather would take me back to that tree and point out to me one switch-limb that was JUST RIGHT for the occasion!!

My father, Lord when he started to take his belt off, well let me just say that lil' bro and I KNEW we were literally "had asses"!!!

In looking back, I can honestly say that there was NEVER a time that bro and I got "a whippin'" that we had somehow NOT earned or deserved!!

In fact, I give both Mom and Dad, as well as both sets of grandparents, a BIG A+++ as far as their disciplinary tactics. All were consistently the same from all sides, and neither bro nor I EVER had scars from belt, switch nor any other spanking!!

Didn't intend to get so deep here! Rather, my point is simply that things have indeed changed, and things desperately need to be "retuned" back to the correct "key" so to speak!!

And by all means is my point here based on my actual experiences that, on looking back, by all means do I now very, Very much appreciate!!!

JMHOFWIW!!

Reactions: chief2791
Yeah. That's true. Not sure that's a good thing though. They still make up the most selfish generation I have seen so far.

Also, who was handing out all those trophies? Millennials are the kids of boomers. So what went wrong?
I wouldn't say they're a selfish generation, either. I was taught to work hard for things and to be generous, but I don't necessarily hand the things I've worked hard for out for free. Sort of like when I was in school. If I worked hard on a project or an essay or something like that, I wasn't just going to let a kid who didn't work hard see my work or use it as their own. Technically I am a millenial, but I don't identify with that generation very well as I am at the very beginning of what's considered millenial. I feel like there's a lot of misdirected anger towards boomers. Both of my parents grew up on farms and were not raised with money, but they did really well in life through hard work. They gave generously to those in need as well. Since my parents were older, most of their friends were around their age, and I wouldn't call any of those people I grew up with selfish. There are, of course, a lot of selfish people and misers out there, but it's really unrealistic and unfair to categorize an entire generation of people based on misdirected angst of younger generations.

Sad, but dead-on target.

Folks, I was born in 67, and pretty much raised up thru the 70's and 80's.

I got whipped with belts and switches that my Grandparents would make ME go pick out of the tree at the corner of their house!!

Lord knows if I didn't pick the right size, then my grandfather would take me back to that tree and point out to me one switch-limb that was JUST RIGHT for the occasion!!

My father, Lord when he started to take his belt off, well let me just say that lil' bro and I KNEW we were literally "had asses"!!!

In looking back, I can honestly say that there was NEVER a time that bro and I got "a whippin'" that we had somehow NOT earned or deserved!!

In fact, I give both Mom and Dad, as well as both sets of grandparents, a BIG A+++ as far as their disciplinary tactics. All were consistently the same from all sides, and neither bro nor I EVER had scars from belt, switch nor any other spanking!!

Didn't intend to get so deep here! Rather, my point is simply that things have indeed changed, and things desperately need to be "retuned" back to the correct "key" so to speak!!

And by all means is my point here based on my actual experiences that, on looking back, by all means do I now very, Very much appreciate!!!

JMHOFWIW!!
I agree with you, and there's a lot of ancient wisdom there as well. You don't have to be a Christian to appreciate the wisdom of the paraphrased proverb "spare the rod and spoild the child". Children desperately need direction and discipline that they're not getting from their parents these days. Instead, they expect schools to both teach and parent their children, and balk when the children receive discipline for breaking rules. You would not believe the number of parents who come to a school to complain about their child getting in trouble when their child is disciplined for breaking rules.

Thats where you and I are different. I love my kids and can’t imagine life without them. Can’t think of a better place to vacation either. We love Disney world.

Maybe so, but my girlfriend and I take the BEST vacations. :)
As do we, with our kids. Your idea of a BEST vacation maybe adulting for you. My BEST is snowboarding, mountain climbing etc. Staying young by doing these things with my kids. It's also been a thrill to watch them grow and surpass me in these activities.

Conqoring half dome or completing a double black with my kids is my idea of the BEST.

I pity you. One of Gods most precious gifts to us is to MARRY and have a family. Grandchildren are the gift that highlights all your life. Had great Wife, kids and grandkids. Never have had trouble at grocery stores. Raise them at home. They will act right in poblic.
Pretty selfish not to have a family. You are missing out on Gods plan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT