ADVERTISEMENT

Spoiled brat kids these days

Thats where you and I are different. I love my kids and can’t imagine life without them. Can’t think of a better place to vacation either. We love Disney world.
As do we, with our kids. Your idea of a BEST vacation maybe adulting for you. My BEST is snowboarding, mountain climbing etc. Staying young by doing these things with my kids. It's also been a thrill to watch them grow and surpass me in these activities
Although I've never wanted kids, I'm mostly being tongue-in cheek in this thread. If it makes y'all feel better, there are only two things that would drive me to violence these days, and that's seeing someone mistreat a child or an animal (I guess it's a protect the innocent thing?) And stories about bullied and impoverished children absolutely break my heart. I also give a lot of money every year to organizations that provide Christmas gifts to poor kids.

But yeah, seeing pics on social media of my friends out on a cold soccer field at 7am on a Saturday morning while their kids chase a soccer ball around in a big group makes me let out a sigh of relief every time as I wake up at 9 am next to my young, non-breeding girlfriend. My buddy called me out of the blue the other day. He was SO pumped up because his wife and kids were gone for the weekend. The highlight of his weekend was getting to take a nap. He was like, "Dude, do you even know how long it's been since I been able to take a nap?" lol

• Haha
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I pity you. One of Gods most precious gifts to us is to MARRY and have a family. Grandchildren are the gift that highlights all your life. Had great Wife, kids and grandkids. Never have had trouble at grocery stores. Raise them at home. They will act right in poblic.
Pretty selfish not to have a family. You are missing out on Gods plan.
Don't get me started on God. lol

• Haha
Reactions: JeffTweedyFan
Although I've never wanted kids, I'm mostly being tongue-in cheek in this thread. If it makes y'all feel better, there are only two things that would drive me to violence these days, and that's seeing someone mistreat a child or an animal (I guess it's a protect the innocent thing?) And stories about bullied and impoverished children absolutely break my heart. I also give a lot of money every year to organizations that provide Christmas gifts to poor kids.

But yeah, seeing pics on social media of my friends out on a cold soccer field at 7am on a Saturday morning while their kids chase a soccer ball around in a big group makes me let out a sigh of relief every time as I wake up at 9 am next to my young, non-breeding girlfriend. My buddy called me out of the blue the other day. He was SO pumped up because his wife and kids were gone for the weekend. The highlight of his weekend was getting to take a nap. He was like, "Dude, do you even know how long it's been since I been able to take a nap?" lol
To each his own. My wife and I went on a trip to Hawaii a few years back w/o the kids. I spent the entire trip in my wife's ear saying, "I wish Johnny could take the road to Hana" or "I wish Johnny could see these wild chickens".

I have friends with kids that look forward to time away from their kids. I understand, but that's not me. I don't look down on couples w/o kids. I do look down on couples that look down on kids.

I pity you. One of Gods most precious gifts to us is to MARRY and have a family. Grandchildren are the gift that highlights all your life. Had great Wife, kids and grandkids. Never have had trouble at grocery stores. Raise them at home. They will act right in poblic.
Pretty selfish not to have a family. You are missing out on Gods plan.
It’s right in is name. “Left” neck. He don’t care about God.

Reactions: leftneck
Had I done the same with my parents, I wouldn't have been able to sit for weeks, probably months. My dad would have probably whooped my ass until he was tired, then whooped it again. My parents didn't play, and I'm thankful for that.

I was more constructive in punishment with my 2 boys, but one thing I've never EVER tolerated was disrespect, in public or private. Thank God they've both turned out well, and the one that has kids is raising them the same way.

One thing for sure, you have to start early. My wife has one that even in adulthood (older than my 2 boys) has no respect for her. She thinks she can say anything to her mother and get away with it. I told her about a year ago that although that's her mother, she's also my wife, and nobody including her would talk to her that way, and especially not at my house. I told her to leave and not come back unless it's to apologize. She hasn't been back. I'm not sad.

If you put up with disrespect, that's what you'll get until you draw a line in the sand.
There are dynamics here that you may not be considering with your wife's daughter. Those boys were yours. She was not, and in many cases, the fact that a child's parent has moved on to another relationship with a person that is not their parent is a thing some children have a tough time getting over. Some children take sides in the breakup of a relationship and never get over it. Some punish the parent that is still around. When someone from outside of that previous relationship draws that line in the sand, as you say, that can break a relationship forever. I know it is hard feeling like the one you love is disrespected. However, extreme patience is required in families sometimes especially blended ones. I respect you for drawing your line in the sand. However, here's to hoping that someday that broken relationship can be fixed even if you have to hold your nose and apologize for anything that you may have contributed to your wife and child not communicating.

Try that backhand across the mouth nowadays and see what happens. In a few minutes you’ll be handcuffed in the back seat of a cruiser on the way to the jailhouse. I don’t like the hitting in the face thing at any time, in public or at home, that’s not called for. That being said, I was disciplined with switches and belts across my ass and it was very effective.
George Wallace, a very funny comedian tells a story about threatening to whip his kid. The child told George that he’d call 911 and Social Services if he did. George said, “That’s fine. You do that, but I’ll assure you I’ll be out of jail long before you’re out of the hospital.”

This thread pops up every few months, and I feel compelled to respond. Before you trash that parent with the kid throwing a massive tantrum, make sure the child is not on the spectrum.

I don't care how good you are at discipline, if you have a child with Autism, one day, you are going to deal with it. Parents fortunate enough to have healthy, non challenged kids might want to consider that before you assume you are a superior parent or offer public scorn.

Now, carry on.
Of course, parents can be on the spectrum too!

I always say, I wouldn't take all the money in the world for either of my kids. And I wouldn't give you fifty cents for one more. Thankfully, maybe luckily, my kids never acting anything like what's been described in this thread.

I give the tough love even now to my 30 year old daughter(that’s what I call it).Today she called me and asked me to go to the pharmacy to get her prescription(she went to the doctor today).I told her she can get it when she comes home because she is going to go right past it.she argued with me about getting it.I told her if I go get it,u still won’t have it and still have to go by the pharmacy anyways.I didn’t go get it.

Reactions: chief2791
I give the tough love even now to my 30 year old daughter(that’s what I call it).Today she called me and asked me to go to the pharmacy to get her prescription(she went to the doctor today).I told her she can get it when she comes home because she is going to go right past it.she argued with me about getting it.I told her if I go get it,u still won’t have it and still have to go by the pharmacy anyways.I didn’t go get it.
👍🤛💪

I have kids and see kids all the time. Have never seen anything like that.

Most of the spoiled brats I see are from the boomer generation. That's not a swipe at an entire generation. Just what I see in public and on TV.

Sounds more like a one off than any sort of generational thing.

Kids haven't changed, parents are the ones who've changed.

Boomers are mostly in their sixties and seventies by definition therefore their kids are in their 30s, by and large. Most of what the OP described would be from older millennials' kids. Think about it...

BornAges
Gen Z1997 – 20129 – 24
Millennials1981 – 199625 – 40
Gen X1965 – 198041 – 56
Boomers II1955 – 196457 – 66
Boomers I1946 – 195467 – 75
Post War1928 – 194576 – 93
WW II1922 – 192794 – 99

There are dynamics here that you may not be considering with your wife's daughter. Those boys were yours. She was not, and in many cases, the fact that a child's parent has moved on to another relationship with a person that is not their parent is a thing some children have a tough time getting over. Some children take sides in the breakup of a relationship and never get over it. Some punish the parent that is still around. When someone from outside of that previous relationship draws that line in the sand, as you say, that can break a relationship forever. I know it is hard feeling like the one you love is disrespected. However, extreme patience is required in families sometimes especially blended ones. I respect you for drawing your line in the sand. However, here's to hoping that someday that broken relationship can be fixed even if you have to hold your nose and apologize for anything that you may have contributed to your wife and child not communicating.
Appreciate the reply, you made some good points.

I too hope the relationship can go back to normal, with respect in place. An apology is all that it will take. Again, not to me, her mother. I've never tried to be anyone else's father, just to my own kids. More like a friend. I have an absolutely awesome relationship with her other daughter. I'd take a bullet (or deal one out) for that woman any day of the week.

She respects her father, so we know she is capable of respect, she chooses not to give it to her mother for some reason. The why is not my concern, it is hers to figure out.

I'm an easy going person, and a peace-maker at heart (it's my job, my life-blood). Been dealing with the public in business for almost 30 years. There are difficult people that I deal with almost every day, and always bend over backwards try to find a solution. I can probably count on one hand how many people in nearly 30 years that I've had to say I think it's best for the both of us to go a different direction. There are some people that can't be pleased or reached until they decide that they want to be.

Probably the greatest post of under 12 words in the history of the board. A masterpiece.
Parents have definitely changed.
When we were young kids I once saw my brother pitch a fit in a store wanting a toy. He yelled screamed and cried. Mom never said a word and hardly even looked at him. When we got outside of course the fit pitching stopped because of lack of a audience. Never will forget what happened next. We loaded up in the car and when mom got in she reached over and slapped the fire out of brother. She then proceeded to tell him to holler and cry all the way home and if he quit she would pop him again. Needless to say that was never a issue again!!! 😂

Boomers are mostly in their sixties and seventies by definition therefore their kids are in their 30s, by and large. Most of what the OP described would be from older millennials' kids. Think about it...

BornAges
Gen Z1997 – 20129 – 24
Millennials1981 – 199625 – 40
Gen X1965 – 198041 – 56
Boomers II1955 – 196457 – 66
Boomers I1946 – 195467 – 75
Post War1928 – 194576 – 93
WW II1922 – 192794 – 99

Right. I wasn't saying boomers have little kids. I was saying I see more boomers act like brats than I do kids. Which isn't a lot either way.

I just think all the "back in my day" stuff is comical.

I'm a millineal with boomer parents. Just like the majority of millineals.

Probably figured she would be tired after work and wanted to come straight home. Also wanted to give you something to do. 😉

Not defending her, but not knowing anything about the two of you, I'm just thinking about what may be going through her mind.

Congrats for giving her yet another opportunity to take responsibility.

When my police scanner worked and I could listen I . Mostly what you would hear being dispatched to Richland County we’re calls like……

Prepare to copy a domestic. Mother vs 9 year old. Daughter throwing things abs out of control.

Prepare to copy domestic . Mother vs 15 year old. Daughter refus to go to school.

Prepare to copy domestic. Mother vs 10 year old son. Child’s being disrespectful.

Prepare to copy a domestic. Parents vs. 12 year old, 12 year old threatening to runaway.

And it was all day and night long!

Last edited:
Yeah...that's pretty lazy. Especially if she had to drive past the pharmacy anyway.

I mean, my mother picked up my Rxs for me after my surgery, but I'd just had my midsection cut open and spent 4 days in the hospital. Going to the pharmacy was not high on my list of things to do at the time. She got me home, waited while I took the world's longest and hottest shower to get the hospital stench off me, got me settled on the couch with my blanket and Skitters watching over me, and then went to get them.

Yeah...that's pretty lazy. Especially if she had to drive past the pharmacy anyway.

I mean, my mother picked up my Rxs for me after my surgery, but I'd just had my midsection cut open and spent 4 days in the hospital. Going to the pharmacy was not high on my list of things to do at the time. She got me home, waited while I took the world's longest and hottest shower to get the hospital stench off me, got me settled on the couch with my blanket and Skitters watching over me, and then went to get them.
I'm guessing that your mother thought it was more important to get you settled at home than picking up your prescription on the way home - especially if you didn't have to take any meds right away.

Responsible parenting. Good stuff. And I assume you're long recovered from the surgery?

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Almost ain't worth having kids anymore, I saw a kid (8 maybe 9) at the store with his parents and he wanted some type of sugary cereal, and his mom told him it had too much sugar and it was too expensive, so she got a store brand of another cereal, this kid starts whining up a storm and making a scene, shouting at his mom who stood there appalled and embarrassed one of the things the kid said to his mom was: "I don't want this, get my MF cereal B****!" And the worst part of this was his dad was standing there too, and didn't do anything about it. A far cry from my childhood when I would've gotten the back of my mom's hand across my mouth followed by my mouth being washed out with soap just for saying "damn".
Spare the rod, spoil the child! That's why kids are gunning each other down in our schools. Parents aren't allowed to discipline their children like mine did me and probably most of you on here.....There are no consequences so why shouldn't they act like idiots? That coupled with a lot of children raising themselves because most families do not have stay at home moms anymore and absolute filth on social media are driving this country into a mindless mess!!

Last edited:
Spare the rod, spoil the child! That's why kids are gunning each other down in our schools. Parents aren't allowed to discipline their children like mine did me and probably most of you on here.....There are no consequences so why shouldn't they act like idiots?
A better approach, IMO, is responsible use of the rod. The rod should be the last resort, not the first.

Train children to be responsible. Guide them, and give them age-appropriate choices/consequences.

It starts with the parents, certainly. My experience with young people has been different.

One of the blessings of COVID/Lockdown for me was that when the schools were closed, my high-school aged son and his friends had "pods" of 6-8 boys that rotated houses for remote study. I was working from home and so I got to see those boys at my house a couple of times a week - much more than I would have otherwise.

Every one of them was respectful, engaging, and enjoyable to be around. The called me "Mister," looked me in the eye when speaking, and were interested in talking about sports, politics, my work and their college/future aspirations. I am glad that I had the opportunity to get to know them. I saw several at the game last weekend and it was great to have them come up to me to speak.

These boys were not angels of course - I'm not naïve - but they will find their way and will probably be solid citizens. There are bad kids in every generation and I think we notice them more than the good ones unfortunately (and there are plenty of good ones).

Reactions: ken in sacramento
A better approach, IMO, is responsible use of the rod. The rod should be the last resort, not the first.

Train children to be responsible. Guide them, and give them age-appropriate choices/consequences.
Agree. But some children are just beyond that. I was one of them. Spray painting neighbors cars, rims, mirrors.....breaking into places and destroying property etc. My Dad had enough after the second visit from a State Trooper and let me have it with a belt, and the buckle......Never got into anything like that again! Completely set me on the straight and narrow! RIP Dad.....God Bless You for wearing my A$$ out! Never been in trouble since!

Reactions: Gaimcock
I'm guessing that your mother thought it was more important to get you settled at home than picking up your prescription on the way home - especially if you didn't have to take any meds right away.

Responsible parenting. Good stuff. And I assume you're long recovered from the surgery?
Very recovered. It was 3 years ago next Saturday. I didn't need them right away. I was able to get by with regular ibuprofen by then, and only used the Motrin 800 for overnight the first few nights home.

The thing that did irritate me is that my doctor wrote a Rx for the Motrin 800 and for Percoset, after I told her not to bother with the Percoset. I can't take that crap. It makes me feel like I've been hit by a truck. But she still sent it over and it was filled. Mom told the pharmacist to cancel it.

Reactions: atl-cock
Probably figured she would be tired after work and wanted to come straight home. Also wanted to give you something to do. 😉

Not defending her, but not knowing anything about the two of you, I'm just thinking about what may be going through her mind.

Congrats for giving her yet another opportunity to take responsibility.
She didn’t work that day,she went to the doctor.i can understand if it was like the pharmacy was fixing to close or something.But it was around noon or so and I was still in my pajamas as I had to work nights this week.I wasn’t about to get up and get ready.my 2boys is night and day.my oldest(28) is independent and don’t ask for help unless he can’t do it.my youngest (21) is totally opposite,always asking for help,I’m always giving some kinda Seinfeld reference to him as in yeah, ,that’s a shame,good luck with that and a just plain ole ‘I can’t help ya’.He got his 1st Amazon card in the mail last week and he wanted me to setup on how to pay on the computer.I told him no,I told him to read what it says and if he got a question he not sure of ask me,but I’m not doing it for him.time to grow up.I’ve told all my kids,daddy isn’t going to be around forever.

Reactions: chief2791
Agree. But some children are just beyond that. I was one of them. Spray painting neighbors cars, rims, mirrors.....breaking into places and destroying property etc. My Dad had enough after the second visit from a State Trooper and let me have it with a belt, and the buckle......Never got into anything like that again! Completely set me on the straight and narrow! RIP Dad.....God Bless You for wearing my A$$ out! Never been in trouble since!
You were apparently an example of the rod being the last resort - and not spared.

I have kids and see kids all the time. Have never seen anything like that.

Most of the spoiled brats I see are from the boomer generation. That's not a swipe at an entire generation. Just what I see in public and on TV.

Sounds more like a one off than any sort of generational thing.
it is a generation bad parenting. getting worse by the day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT