ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier would be licking his chops with this offense

Quite frankly, I find to that to be rather simplistic reasoning. I don't recall Lattimore playing defense.
I will have to disagree with your obvious bias.

Neither did Spurrier....but Lattimore had more to do with the attitude change and overall drive to do the things necessary to win than Spurrier had.to do with it. Ellis Johnson had more to do with our win streak than Spurrier did.

I'm still not 100% there on the O-Line... need consistent, high-level play for the Off. to really take off. Everything else is in place though, no doubt.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Neither did Spurrier....but Lattimore had more to do with the attitude change and overall drive to do the things necessary to win than Spurrier had.to do with it. Ellis Johnson had more to do with our win streak than Spurrier did.

But you gave all credit to Lattimore, now you're giving it to Johnson. I don't understand, you're giving credit to everyone except the head coach. If I recall, Spurrier was the one that sealed the deal with Lattimore and the guy who hired Johnson. You're bias is indefensible and odd.

Reactions: Jtowngamecock
Wow !!! This program was a dynasty before Spurrier got here I guess . I must have missed it . When Alabama, Ohio State , etc etc fans sit around and talk about the "Good ole Days" It includes national titles , and bowl wins , division titles and stuff like that . Before Spurrier , here's two USC fans talking about the Good Ole Day's.. " Hey man remember when we went 7-6 that one year , almost beat Clemson and Almost got into the Nobody Cares Bowl ... Man those were the days !!" The ONLY consistent success this program has ever had since electricity is the time Spurrier was here . That is an indisputable fact . Yes Marcus was the greatest gamechanger in USC history but if Spurrier wasn't the coach then Marcus has a national title ring because he's at Auburn just like Stephen Davis and all the other SC high school stars that never even considered USC because the program was a consistent loser or middle of the pack team . How many bowl games did win before Spurrier ?? 3 - Two with Lou and one with the pilesberry doughboy . 3 Bowl wins in 100 years of Football ???? It's hard to be that bad . Think about that for a minute . Also to your point about Marcus carrying Spurrier ... how many bowls did we win with Marcus on the field and how many times did we beat Clemson with Marcus on the field ?? Give the man his due . Say all you want about him because some of it true but facts are facts . Cracks me up how guys on this board will bash Spurrier because the program is back to where's it's been for a century . If anybody is to blame it's us for accepting it for so long . The only reason we are mad now is because Spurrier, and No one else, proved to us that is possible to actually win football games and actually compete for SEC titles in Columbia . If Spurrier never came to USC and we went 7-6 or 6-6 the last ten years , That stadium is still gonna be full and money will keep flowing . Contrast if Nick Saban or Urban Meyer go 8-4 for two years in a row they would both be unemployed.

It is sad what we fans, the university and specifically the athletic dept. has accepted over the years. I will grant Spurrier did prove that winning can be done here. His desires and our overlapped for a time.....but obviously Spurrier was less motivated to continue than he should have been. People assume the foot off the pedal approach started about the time the team went downhill results wise. It took a couple of seasons to show itself. Spurrier is a great coach....he knows how to win.....one of the best ever....that is all true. So why do people believe this brilliant coach that knows how to win.....not know we are no longer doing the things needed to win and it all just "snuck up" on him? He sat back and enjoyed it for as long as it would last. Personally I think he knew it was time to get out when the bulk of our great defense left post the Wisconsin win....but the draw to see a drop back passer to run his offense was too much for him to pass up.

Look you can have a great dinner with someone....but when they leave it is a jerry Lewis act...well that is what is remembered.

But you gave all credit to Lattimore, now you're giving it to Johnson. I don't understand, you're giving credit to everyone except the head coach. If I recall, Spurrier was the one that sealed the deal with Lattimore and the guy who hired Johnson. You're bias is indefensible and odd.

No in a team sport there are many people you can usually point to as being a major part of it. The players were not paying much attention to Spurrier....he was not getting them to really buy in. We had enough talent to be alright...same as always..Lattimore did a lot to change that around in the time he was here. Spurrier had a lot to do with it...sure but to the levels that most want to claim..nah. The only people that love Spurrier are the fans of his "Evil Genius" persona. I do not know what to tell you...Spurrier won here....but it had more to do with an incredible natural leader in Lattimore than it did with Spurrier himself. You see it differently...that is fine...most people do because they just look at the data on a page. I feel confident in my stance on it.

No in a team sport there are many people you can usually point to as being a major part of it. The players were not paying much attention to Spurrier....he was not getting them to really buy in. We had enough talent to be alright...same as always..Lattimore did a lot to change that around in the time he was here. Spurrier had a lot to do with it...sure but to the levels that most want to claim..nah. The only people that love Spurrier are the fans of his "Evil Genius" persona. I do not know what to tell you...Spurrier won here....but it had more to do with an incredible natural leader in Lattimore than it did with Spurrier himself. You see it differently...that is fine...most people do because they just look at the data on a page. I feel confident in my stance on it.

But you give no credit for the really good instate or out of state players wanting to come here BECAUSE of Spurrier. You give credit to the players and the assistant coaches, but not the head coach. If it was SO easy, why weren't we more successful before Spurrier? Seems like you're trying to rewrite our history book because you're pissed he quit.
For the record, I don't LOVE Spurrier. I'm disappointed in how it ended by appreciate what he did. I'm really not sure what to say to those who are now denying it. Revisionists, I guess.

Reactions: RickyRooster
the truth. usc offense will be above avg but cmon, it wasnt and will never be unstoppable this season. atleast get the oline settled first...

Going to be some major disappointment around here if this offense struggles...
Even Clemson's offense last year had its games of little production. I worry about the safety of some of you if that happens.

But you give no credit for the really good instate or out of state players wanting to come here BECAUSE of Spurrier. You give credit to the players and the assistant coaches, but not the head coach. If it was SO easy, why weren't we more successful before Spurrier? Seems like you're trying to rewrite our history book because you're pissed he quit.
For the record, I don't LOVE Spurrier. I'm disappointed in how it ended by appreciate what he did. I'm really not sure what to say to those who are now denying it. Revisionists, I guess.

I just find it odd that so many Gamecock fans would want to give much credit to someone that quit on the program they love. btw I do not know of any player that came to Carolina because of Spurrier. We are not the same program we have historically been..we now are a top level program with the resources most other programs drool over. Spurrier loves Spurrier enough that he does not need us to help. I love the Gamecocks....he chose not to be a Gamecock any more...what is your excuse?

I just find it odd that so many Gamecock fans would want to give much credit to someone that quit on the program they love. btw I do not know of any player that came to Carolina because of Spurrier. We are not the same program we have historically been..we now are a top level program with the resources most other programs drool over. Spurrier loves Spurrier enough that he does not need us to help. I love the Gamecocks....he chose not to be a Gamecock any more...what is your excuse?

Excuse? What excuse do I need? I am mature enough to give credit to Spurrier for raising the program as much as I am disappointed in how he left. They are not mutually exclusive. Grow up.

Excuse? What excuse do I need? I am mature enough to give credit to Spurrier for raising the program as much as I am disappointed in how he left. They are not mutually exclusive. Grow up.

Why do you care? Has he somehow missed his measure of acclaim here by the fans? Is the fact that some fans do not feel he was the sole reason or EVEN maybe the crucial one that raised our program...is that somehow a threat to some legacy you feel he is deserving of? He has gotten his share definitely......that is what his whole tenure was about. You keep on loving him or make sure he gets his due..and I will keep on being glad he is gone and blaming him for the way it got. Have a nice day.

Reactions: Heyward1
I just find it odd that so many Gamecock fans would want to give much credit to someone that quit on the program they love.
How can you avoid giving him credit? He's objectively the best we've had by any metric you want to throw out there -- wins, bowl games, players drafted, tv exposure, facilities improvements. If you love Carolina football I don't understand how you could dislike Steve Spurrier. Remember when we beat #1 Bama? Ran UGA right out of the stadium on Gameday? Beat Clemson 5 in a row? Had a QB who never lost a home game? Had a guy go #1 overall in the draft? Going to New Years Day bowl games against "name" teams and winning them? Making it to Atlanta? Finishing in the top 5?

Reactions: taiwancock
Why do you care? Has he somehow missed his measure of acclaim here by the fans? Is the fact that some fans do not feel he was the sole reason or EVEN maybe the crucial one that raised our program...is that somehow a threat to some legacy you feel he is deserving of? He has gotten his share definitely......that is what his whole tenure was about. You keep on loving him or make sure he gets his due..and I will keep on being glad he is gone and blaming him for the way it got. Have a nice day.
It would be sophistry not to give him primary credit for building the program to the point it produced our best football over a multi-year period. Whatever and whoever was here was only here because he was here.

How can you avoid giving him credit? He's objectively the best we've had by any metric you want to throw out there -- wins, bowl games, players drafted, tv exposure, facilities improvements. If you love Carolina football I don't understand how you could dislike Steve Spurrier. Remember when we beat #1 Bama? Ran UGA right out of the stadium on Gameday? Beat Clemson 5 in a row? Had a QB who never lost a home game? Had a guy go #1 overall in the draft? Going to New Years Day bowl games against "name" teams and winning them? Making it to Atlanta? Finishing in the top 5?

All of the Spurrier discussion comes down to mindset. I am not sure that one side is more right than the other. Either you are a person that looks at the height that he took the program or you are a person that looks at the lows that he left the program. Both groups have valid points.

My feeling is almost that this fanbase would have been better off not having those years, because the low is so much lower when you know what was possible. How much better of a situation was Carolina than Clemosn in being a title team only just a few years ago. I would not trade those years, but the fanbase would be happier in general I think. I give Spurrier all the credit for being the guy that took Carolina to the cusp and all the credit for pulling out the rug too.,

There's no doubt that what SOS did here with those three 11-win seasons was fantastic but I will never forgive him for quitting on the team in October and "leaving the cupboard empty". I never thought he was capable of such a thing.

Marcus Lattimore is the one responsible for the turn around. Once Spurrier was able to pad his legacy with the first 11 win season he quit....and he did sit around collecting checks after that.
And the hammer meets the nail. Connor Shaw won more games with his scrambling than Spurriers play calls because he never had an OL to protect him like we always had while Elliott was coaching. I would like to know how many 1st downs Shaw got for us when a drop back passing QB would have been sacked.

Reactions: ansoncock
We have a couple of solid running backs who can get the job done, but the depth and talent at WR and TE are simply amazing. Um... and we have a QB with the most potential perhaps ever.

We had some great players on O with Spurrier, but never this depth.

Of course the O-line is still the big question mark.
Well all he had to do was recruit like these coaches do now, simple, effort gets results.

And the hammer meets the nail. Connor Shaw won more games with his scrambling than Spurriers play calls because he never had an OL to protect him like we always had while Elliott was coaching. I would like to know how many 1st downs Shaw got for us when a drop back passing QB would have been sacked.
Why venerate any coach then? Take Tanner's name off the wall at Carolina Stadium; he didn't hit that pitch against UCLA. Take McGuire's name off the old Coliseum; he didn't outjump Lee Dedmon. I didn't see Dawn Staley dribble a single basketball this year; if it wasn't for A'ja Wilson and all those amazing players she wouldn't have won a thing!

Why venerate any coach then? Take Tanner's name off the wall at Carolina Stadium; he didn't hit that pitch against UCLA. Take McGuire's name off the old Coliseum; he didn't outjump Lee Dedmon. I didn't see Dawn Staley dribble a single basketball this year; if it wasn't for A'ja Wilson and all those amazing players she wouldn't have won a thing!

If Tanner spent the last few years promoting non deserving friends of his....sitting on his but in a golf cart while he should have been working......eventually leaving in the middle of a season when his team was tanking.....no we should not think good about anyone like that. That is the difference...Tanner wanted to leave something behind........Spurrier did not give a damn.

Reactions: flatwoodcock
Yes, I agree the O-line is a big question. However, even that can be overcome by having a QB who is highly accurate who can release the ball quickly.

I can remember many years when our O-line could not block well enough to spring a RB, but the QB could deliver to skilled receivers. (last year, for sure. but many times in past years)
Blake Mitchell wasn't too bad. Those years were interesting.

Yeah, your memory sucks. That happened in Columbia in 2010.
That was the game we won (Columbia)... when Alshon caught the pass even though the guy was hanging all over him.

I think folks are referring to the 3 fades in a row game at Bama (previous year maybe). It was ridiculous to watch, and I don't think Alson was on the team then (but I don't recall for sure).

Spurrier and his legacy is something that we will all live with.

Just like Navy in '84.

We finally had a guy that could win it all for us, but he refused to put in the work to do it. He won on his name with the first few recruiting classes and rode Lattimore, the defense and some interesting luck to 11-win seasons. There were a few dominant wins in there and several head-scratching losses.

Would we have won 11 games 3 years in a row without him? Probably not. Would we have had to deal with a coach quitting mid-season and sinking from 11-2 to 3-8? Probably not.

Like the '84 team, Spurrier deserves both praise and scorn. Like most of our football history, there are great highs (that seem pedestrian compared to other programs) followed by harrowing lows.

For me, I am grateful Spurrier was here, and I am extremely glad that he is now gone.

Weird.

Man y'all are smoking some serious stuff. Greatest ever? I hope you're right.
Greatest O was the one that starred a former 2* QB and played for SOS.

Unfortunately it was our HC that allowed the defense to disintegrate before his eyes that year.

Life as a gamecock.

I'm pretty sure we threw 3-4 fades in a row at Kentucky after we upset Bama. I had no problem with it as Alshon normally would've caught one.

And this recruiting nonsense....we were on track to have a top 5 class until he uttered the "2-3 years nonsense". I'll take that recruiting any day. Old age sneaks up on everyone eventually. Lapses in judgment will occur.

Reactions: Heyward1
Did the Spurrier era end in the way everyone wanted? No. And I am sure Spurrier is included in that opinion. Folks can hold grudges all they want, but one cannot ignore those three years when he took USC to heights previously only dreamed of. Not the excitement he created for the program. I'm glad he came to Columbia, no matter how it ended. If he hadn't, we probably would have hired the latest "hot" mid major guy and been struggling to get to the Independence Bowl on a yearly basis until he was fired.

No, he realized he was done. Im sure you've never quit anything. Hell, I've quit several jobs. I guess you could say I walked out on my coworkers.

Can't be the best coach ever when you left the program in worse shape than when you found it. That's the litmus test for coaches.....what's your legacy? What did you leave behind for others to build on or continue with?
He failed miserably in both those areas.

He quit to suit himself with NO regard for the program. Fail.

No, he realized he was done. Im sure you've never quit anything. Hell, I've quit several jobs. I guess you could say I walked out on my coworkers.

Oh we have all quit things, just not when we lead young men who are looking to us as an example. Sos is a loser quitter. Get it.

Reactions: bosoxcock
He was selfish. He knew the losses were going to be there and wanted to protect his W/L record over everything else. Once he had Bear Bryant he stopped giving a damn. You're naive if you believe otherwise.

I'm still not 100% there on the O-Line... need consistent, high-level play for the Off. to really take off. Everything else is in place though, no doubt.
Me neither...what happened since 56-7 to foment such an improvement? Tater DL went through our OL like Ex-Lax through an old widow woman...

Reactions: NooNoo

He quit in the middle of a season while leading young men who sacrificed their time to work together to accomplish a goal.

Steve Spurrier is a selfish quitter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT