ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier would be licking his chops with this offense

Jeeezzz..... Can we let this Spurrier thing go . Yes he quit on his team and yes he hired poor coaches and didn't recruit . Guess what else he did .... he took this program that has been a pile of garbage for the last Century and actually made it relevant. It's pointless to even dispute . You know he could have sat around for another 5-6 years or as long as he wanted like Bowden or Paterno and collected a pay check . He quit because he knew he didn't have it anymore . He could have stayed here another 10 years and gone .500 every year which is an upgrade over the previous 100 years and we would have NEVER fired him . He wanted to leave and the brass begged him to stay on because they knew this program was irrelevant at the time without him . face facts ..... he got old and needed to put out to pasture . It's gonna happen to all of us one day . No matter what he did he is the greatest coach in the history of this program ( which is kinda like being the tallest midget ). We blame Spurrier for the last two years ...... who do we blame for the previous 100 years ??? Give it a rest .
amen, are they willing to give up the great years we had with sos? probably not so they need to let this crap go....how friggin long are some of you gonna carry a grudge? for crying out loud, let it go!

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
amen, are they willing to give up the great years we had with sos? probably not so they need to let this crap go....how friggin long are some of you gonna carry a grudge? for crying out loud, let it go!
Well to be fair, it's still affecting us.

Reactions: 92Pony

Forever is the answer....forever. He name is mudd to most of Gamecock nation and if they dare to try to wheel is sorry arse out at halftime this year he will get his recognition for what he did here.

Reactions: Heyward1
I would give concrete stats and FACTS that would show everyone what SOS meant to this program as a whole but it would be a waste of time . Program is a dumpster dive for a century , Spurrier comes along and the team goes to a bowl every year but 1 and is in the hunt for the east consistently every year . Hmmm... a century of underachievement and then almost a decade of winning with Spurrier . You guys are a riot . The only reason you guys are crying is because he quit and you all know the gig is up . I'll go on record to say this program will not have another 11 win season and top ten finish in the next 20 years . The man was 70 years old .... did you guys expect him to coach til they brought him out in a wheelchair?? You wanna know why we chase coaches like Lou and SOS who are on the last half of their careers .... because no hot up and coming young coach wants anything to do with a program that has proven to be a bottom feeder , middle of the road program for most of its existence. I love my team but facts are facts boys !! Cracks me up how you guys are so bent out of shape that Spurrier "Gave Up" and now we are having 7-6 , 6-7 seasons . For the last century a 7-6 season would have us dancing in the streets. You guys act like this program is Michigan, Notre Dame, Southern Cal etc etc ... a storied program with a few down seasons that can be turned around in one or two classes . News flash.. we aren't . How many coaches like Saban or Harbaugh are quiting NFL jobs to come to Columbia ??

I would give concrete stats and FACTS that would show everyone what SOS meant to this program as a whole but it would be a waste of time . Program is a dumpster dive for a century , Spurrier comes along and the team goes to a bowl every year but 1 and is in the hunt for the east consistently every year . Hmmm... a century of underachievement and then almost a decade of winning with Spurrier . You guys are a riot . The only reason you guys are crying is because he quit and you all know the gig is up . I'll go on record to say this program will not have another 11 win season and top ten finish in the next 20 years . The man was 70 years old .... did you guys expect him to coach til they brought him out in a wheelchair?? You wanna know why we chase coaches like Lou and SOS who are on the last half of their careers .... because no hot up and coming young coach wants anything to do with a program that has proven to be a bottom feeder , middle of the road program for most of its existence. I love my team but facts are facts boys !! Cracks me up how you guys are so bent out of shape that Spurrier "Gave Up" and now we are having 7-6 , 6-7 seasons . For the last century a 7-6 season would have us dancing in the streets. You guys act like this program is Michigan, Notre Dame, Southern Cal etc etc ... a storied program with a few down seasons that can be turned around in one or two classes . News flash.. we aren't . How many coaches like Saban or Harbaugh are quiting NFL jobs to come to Columbia ??

you state: "did you guys expect him to coach til they brought him out in a wheelchair"

No, ...how about coaching 6 more games in 2015.... is that to much to ask

He is a quitter that quit on his team half way through a season, period

That must be to much for you to comprehend

Last edited:
you state: "did you guys expect him to coach til they brought him out in a wheelchair"

No, ...how about coaching 6 more games in 2015.... is that to much to ask

He is a quitter that quit on his team half way through a season, period

That must be to much for you to comprehend

A season that was going nowhere . From what I saw his team quit on him way before he quit on the team . Some of the efforts from "4 Star" recruits were laughable . When we make Grayson Allen look like Aaron Rodgers that's just piss pour effort and I saw that from basically everyone on that team but Pharoh . Yes that is on Spurrier because it's his job to motivate but at some point you gotta just throw your hands up and say " They just don't care ". We should have beat Citadel with our Cheerleaders and they drug us up and down the field at home . This is not coaching , This is players who don't wanna be there . Call it like it is . Steve Spurrier is not the guy on the field trying to get out of Nick Chubb or Leonard Fournette way so they don't get trucked and put on ESPN . If I'm Steve Spurrier and I've got more money than I can spend , I'm going down in history as one of the greatest coaches to ever live , and I'm 70 years old and have a team full of players who don't put in the effort then I can't blame him . He quit midseason because he knew he was finished and he thought by doing so it would give our AD 6 months headstart to find the right guy . Jury is still out on that . Guess what .... when Spurrier goes into the hall of fame do you think there will be two seconds spent talking about the fact he quit mid season on a losing team . The only thing they will say about his time at USC is he took a Loser and Turned it into a winner and that's it . He beat a rival consistently that has beat us like a rented Mule forever ( not sure how you can even classify it as a rivalry it's so one sided). This program was irrelevant before Steve Spurrier . Do you think anybody in Ann Arbor or anywhere else in the country even knew where USC besides California . They do now , Only because of what Spurrier did . Fifteen years from now when we are still battling it out with Vandy and Kentucky so see who gets to go to lovely Birmingham ; You guys will realize how important he was .

A season that was going nowhere . From what I saw his team quit on him way before he quit on the team . Some of the efforts from "4 Star" recruits were laughable . When we make Grayson Allen look like Aaron Rodgers that's just piss pour effort and I saw that from basically everyone on that team but Pharoh . Yes that is on Spurrier because it's his job to motivate but at some point you gotta just throw your hands up and say " They just don't care ". We should have beat Citadel with our Cheerleaders and they drug us up and down the field at home . This is not coaching , This is players who don't wanna be there . Call it like it is . Steve Spurrier is not the guy on the field trying to get out of Nick Chubb or Leonard Fournette way so they don't get trucked and put on ESPN . If I'm Steve Spurrier and I've got more money than I can spend , I'm going down in history as one of the greatest coaches to ever live , and I'm 70 years old and have a team full of players who don't put in the effort then I can't blame him . He quit midseason because he knew he was finished and he thought by doing so it would give our AD 6 months headstart to find the right guy . Jury is still out on that . Guess what .... when Spurrier goes into the hall of fame do you think there will be two seconds spent talking about the fact he quit mid season on a losing team . The only thing they will say about his time at USC is he took a Loser and Turned it into a winner and that's it . He beat a rival consistently that has beat us like a rented Mule forever ( not sure how you can even classify it as a rivalry it's so one sided). This program was irrelevant before Steve Spurrier . Do you think anybody in Ann Arbor or anywhere else in the country even knew where USC besides California . They do now , Only because of what Spurrier did . Fifteen years from now when we are still battling it out with Vandy and Kentucky so see who gets to go to lovely Birmingham ; You guys will realize how important he was .

He was paid millions to lead young amateur student athletics, to teach them....he quit on them.. he proved to be a selfish quitter...It doesn't get any clearer than that

You state: "Fifteen years from now when we are still battling it out with Vandy and Kentucky so see who gets to go to lovely Birmingham"

......SC is going to Birmingham NOW...because Steve Spurrier quit on SC long BEFORE he actually QUIT on SC..he is a quitter

You state: "Fifteen years from now when we are still battling it out with Vandy and Kentucky so see who gets to go to lovely Birmingham"

......SC is going to Birmingham NOW...because Steve Spurrier quit on SC long BEFORE he actually QUIT on SC..he is a quitter

I get your point and I see where your coming from but college coaches either get fired or quit . Does anybody here honestly think Ray had the cajones to ever fire Spurrier ?? No way in Hell . It's common knowledge Spurrier wanted to step down the year prior and they begged him to stay . What would have been accomplished if he stayed those last 6 games?? It's obvious all the players and coaches had checked out by the UGA game . None of the players were responding to him and the coaches knew he was on they way out so they didn't care because they were worried about lining up new gigs and no one can blame them . I honestly think he left thinking that he would benefit Tanner in getting the jump on a big time coach . Anybody that says he sat around an collected paycheck are idiots . He could have sat around and collected pay checks for the next 10 years and you guys would have flocked into Willy B like Lemmings to watch him go 7-5 every year . Do y'all really think Steve Spurrier is hurting for cash that bag !!! People forget the team before Spurrier last year could have easily been a 10 win team without the defensive breakdowns all year . Dylan broke every single passing record in USC history and that team Avg almost 30 a game . Whammy and his guys sank that team and pushed Spurrier into retirement . He should have walked away then but he thought he could pull a rabbit out of a hat and the hat ran out of rabbits . I totally get where you are coming from but name me one college coach that didn't quit , get fired , or die . It's a business . It's honorable to think college coaches coach so they can mentor and develop young men . Truth is it's about $$$, legacy and Ego . That's the bottom line . You think Saban , Harbaugh , Urban , main goal in life is to nurture and develop young men ?? If you do I got some Snowmobiles in Destin Florida to sell ya . They wanna WIN WIN WIN so they can get Paid Paid Paid . It's sucks and it would be great if things were like they were in sports 30 years ago but it isn't . Spurrier quit because he has all the money he can spend but he knew he couldn't win anymore with the team he had and honestly that's all he cared about was winning and that's why we all loved him when it was good

I get your point and I see where your coming from but college coaches either get fired or quit . Does anybody here honestly think Ray had the cajones to ever fire Spurrier ?? No way in Hell . It's common knowledge Spurrier wanted to step down the year prior and they begged him to stay . What would have been accomplished if he stayed those last 6 games?? It's obvious all the players and coaches had checked out by the UGA game . None of the players were responding to him and the coaches knew he was on they way out so they didn't care because they were worried about lining up new gigs and no one can blame them . I honestly think he left thinking that he would benefit Tanner in getting the jump on a big time coach . Anybody that says he sat around an collected paycheck are idiots . He could have sat around and collected pay checks for the next 10 years and you guys would have flocked into Willy B like Lemmings to watch him go 7-5 every year . Do y'all really think Steve Spurrier is hurting for cash that bag !!! People forget the team before Spurrier last year could have easily been a 10 win team without the defensive breakdowns all year . Dylan broke every single passing record in USC history and that team Avg almost 30 a game . Whammy and his guys sank that team and pushed Spurrier into retirement . He should have walked away then but he thought he could pull a rabbit out of a hat and the hat ran out of rabbits . I totally get where you are coming from but name me one college coach that didn't quit , get fired , or die . It's a business . It's honorable to think college coaches coach so they can mentor and develop young men . Truth is it's about $$$, legacy and Ego . That's the bottom line . You think Saban , Harbaugh , Urban , main goal in life is to nurture and develop young men ?? If you do I got some Snowmobiles in Destin Florida to sell ya . They wanna WIN WIN WIN so they can get Paid Paid Paid . It's sucks and it would be great if things were like they were in sports 30 years ago but it isn't . Spurrier quit because he has all the money he can spend but he knew he couldn't win anymore with the team he had and honestly that's all he cared about was winning and that's why we all loved him when it was good

e got lazy
I get your point and I see where your coming from but college coaches either get fired or quit . Does anybody here honestly think Ray had the cajones to ever fire Spurrier ?? No way in Hell . It's common knowledge Spurrier wanted to step down the year prior and they begged him to stay . What would have been accomplished if he stayed those last 6 games?? It's obvious all the players and coaches had checked out by the UGA game . None of the players were responding to him and the coaches knew he was on they way out so they didn't care because they were worried about lining up new gigs and no one can blame them . I honestly think he left thinking that he would benefit Tanner in getting the jump on a big time coach . Anybody that says he sat around an collected paycheck are idiots . He could have sat around and collected pay checks for the next 10 years and you guys would have flocked into Willy B like Lemmings to watch him go 7-5 every year . Do y'all really think Steve Spurrier is hurting for cash that bag !!! People forget the team before Spurrier last year could have easily been a 10 win team without the defensive breakdowns all year . Dylan broke every single passing record in USC history and that team Avg almost 30 a game . Whammy and his guys sank that team and pushed Spurrier into retirement . He should have walked away then but he thought he could pull a rabbit out of a hat and the hat ran out of rabbits . I totally get where you are coming from but name me one college coach that didn't quit , get fired , or die . It's a business . It's honorable to think college coaches coach so they can mentor and develop young men . Truth is it's about $$$, legacy and Ego . That's the bottom line . You think Saban , Harbaugh , Urban , main goal in life is to nurture and develop young men ?? If you do I got some Snowmobiles in Destin Florida to sell ya . They wanna WIN WIN WIN so they can get Paid Paid Paid . It's sucks and it would be great if things were like they were in sports 30 years ago but it isn't .

Spurrier quit because he has all the money he can spend but he knew he couldn't win anymore with the team he had and honestly that's all he cared about was winning and that's why we all loved him when it was good

He got lazy after those 3... 11 win seasons and failed to recruit top talent in those lazy years and it came to fruition in 2014-2015 ,
One thing I agree with.... he has ALL the money he needed and ALL he cared about was winning..
.....He just didn't care about his players.

He told his players not to quit on the field and they tried, they just weren't good enough to compete at a high level because he quit recruiting top talent ...Instead HE QUIT on the sidelines....in the MIDDLE of the season. he is a quitter

e got lazy

He got lazy after those 3... 11 win seasons and failed to recruit top talent in those lazy years and it came to fruition in 2014-2015 ,
One thing I agree with.... he has ALL the money he needed and ALL he cared about was winning..
.....He just didn't care about his players.

He told his players not to quit on the field and they tried, they just weren't good enough to compete at a high level because he quit recruiting top talent ...Instead HE QUIT on the sidelines....in the MIDDLE of the season. he is a quitter[/QUOTE

Judging by the empty seats after the kentucky game that year he wasn't the only one that quit on his team that year . I do agree with your point that he didn't care about his players but in all honesty ... did he ever !! Even back to his days at UF and Duke he was never ever a players coach . We kinda knew that going in . He smashed Danny Wuerfel every game and he won the heisman that year . He basically called Clowney soft for sitting out a game . We knew he was a jerk when he got here but I would rather have a Jerk that wins than a nice guy who goes 5-6 every year . Are we really all that surprised with the way he went out . He quit on Florida to go to Washington . He pretty much quit at Washington when things didn't work out . He always did exactly what he wanted his entire career so why are we surprised . He was a quitter but he was a winner and last time I checked the only time this program won was when he was here . Yes he quit but that doesn't change the FACT that this program was never relevant for more that a year or two until he took over . That's a stone cold fact . Would you guys trade the bowl wins , the 11 win seasons , and Clemson wins for him to coach the last six games of that season . I that's an easy choice for me . Bobby Bowden almost destroyed FSU's program because he refused to step down when he lost his Mojo . That team went into a 4 or 5 year hole because he wouldn't let go . He cared so much about his players that he wouldn't let go . Also I know FSU boosters that threatened to burn the campus down when Bobby was let go and that could have easily have happened here with Spurrier if he hung on forever .

Pro tip: Use the return/enter key occasionally to create paragraphs.

Reactions: HI Cock

Bla bla bla. He is a loser and a quitter. I guess if you had a son on that team you would be ok with him quitting in the middle of the season

Bla bla bla. He is a loser and a quitter. I guess if you had a son on that team you would be ok with him quitting in the middle of the season

You obviously can't count because he isn't a loser . Quitter maybe but definitely not a loser . See when you have more W's vs L's it constitutes that you are not a loser .

I'm not anti-Spurrier like most of this board, but I'm sure he still would have had us scratching our heads at times. Dowdle totes the rock down the entire field, so let's line up with an empty backfield and throw 3 passes from the 9 yard line...stuff like that.
QB draw from the shotgun on 3rd and inches. Because to move inches forward, you want to start from 6 yards back.

With fans like you, who needs taters! We did not have the luxury of playing in the ACC where we could have rung up 8-10 win seasons with some of the teams we had that went 7-6. I fully believe that we will challenge for an SEC championship in the next 3-4 years. Oh, and one more thing, please disassociate yourself from our fan base.

Last edited:
You obviously can't count because he isn't a loser . Quitter maybe but definitely not a loser . See when you have more W's vs L's it constitutes that you are not a loser .

Wow. A quitter is a loser. Get it?

Cracks me up how you guys are so bent out of shape that Spurrier "Gave Up" and now we are having 7-6 , 6-7 seasons . For the last century a 7-6 season would have us dancing in the streets. You guys act like this program is Michigan, Notre Dame, Southern Cal etc etc ... a storied program with a few down seasons that can be turned around in one or two classes . News flash.. we aren't . How many coaches like Saban or Harbaugh are quiting NFL jobs to come to Columbia ??
Seems like we were 7-6 in Spurrier's last season... mostly because he didn't pay attention to what was going on with the Defense.

He made a poor choice to return for one more season, and rather than living with his choice, he gave up... and continued to get paid. If that happened in the upstate we'd be laughing our butts off; it's simply embarrassing.

He brought us to higher highs than we had seen before, and then failed to fulfill a promise he made to not leave the cupboard empty when he left. He did, however, vastly upgrade our facilities and our football "organization."

My point? Spurrier's legacy is complicated at best... because of his poor choices at the end. Glad he was here, glad he is gone, wish he had stayed to the end of his final season. It would have smelled better.

With fans like you, who needs taters! We did not have the luxury of playing in the ACC where we could have rung up 8-10 win seasons with some of the teams we had that went 7-6. I fully believe that we will challenge for an SEC championship in the next 3-4 years. Oh, and one more thing, please disassociate yourself from our fan base.

All I did was state the facts and defend the Only coach that put a winning product on the field consistently in a century of Football . The truth hurts sometimes .

Seems like we were 7-6 in Spurrier's last season... mostly because he didn't pay attention to what was going on with the Defense.

He made a poor choice to return for one more season, and rather than living with his choice, he gave up... and continued to get paid. If that happened in the upstate we'd be laughing our butts off; it's simply embarrassing.

He brought us to higher highs than we had seen before, and then failed to fulfill a promise he made to not leave the cupboard empty when he left. He did, however, vastly upgrade our facilities and our football "organization."

My point? Spurrier's legacy is complicated at best... because of his poor choices at the end. Glad he was here, glad he is gone, wish he had stayed to the end of his final season. It would have smelled better.

Pretty good analysis. In a perfect world he should have bowed out after the 7-6 season, gone out with a bowl win and dropped the mic . In hindsight that's what should have happened .

All I did was state the facts and defend the Only coach that put a winning product on the field consistently in a century of Football . The truth hurts sometimes .

You defended CSS, but you are no Gamecock fan. No real fan would predict the doom and gloom you do. If you are a fan, you suck at it!

Reactions: cocky4
Damn you guys sound like a bunch of whiny crybabies. Spurrier even if he was half as motivated than his Florida days did more for this university than any coach in our history.

He quit mid season to give an under qualified athletics director time to find the right coach for our team instead of rushing to find anyone open to take the job. Tanner still screwed the pooch

Damn you guys sound like a bunch of whiny crybabies. Spurrier even if he was half as motivated than his Florida days did more for this university than any coach in our history.

He quit mid season to give an under qualified athletics director time to find the right coach for our team instead of rushing to find anyone open to take the job. Tanner still screwed the pooch

We now have a great staff.

We now have a great staff.
I agree with you here... and we still could have gotten Muschamp after the season ended.

Based on how the other potential coaches showed their colors, we got the right coach for USC. It doesn't seem like we are a stepping stone for WM. The other coaches had their sights set on something else. Could be wrong, but it doesn't seem that way right now.

Reactions: gamecockblack

He quit two years before he walked out. $4,000,000.00 per year, plus whatever Junior was making, and he half assed it and left us in shambles. Unforgivable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT