ADVERTISEMENT

Spurriers Comment Yesterday

This whole thread has taken the good feeling from Nunez starting right out of my mind. We are sunk if Spurrier doesn't retire. The nail was driven yesterday with his remarks about not knowing where Skai was lining up to the 3 year contract quip. He is taking us down to protect his sons and friends on staff. That's how I see it.
This whole thread has taken the good feeling from Nunez starting right out of my mind. We are sunk if Spurrier doesn't retire. The nail was driven yesterday with his remarks about not knowing where Skai was lining up to the 3 year contract quip. He is taking us down to protect his sons and friends on staff. That's how I see it.
I still believe that Nunez will give our offense a big spark. Our future is just so unknown at this point

Little clue here....Steve Spurrier isn't just collecting a paycheck. He likes to win more than anybody here.

Little clue here....Steve Spurrier isn't just collecting a paycheck. He likes to win more than anybody here.

I wont disagree with that statement at all. Only thing I will say is why isnt he doing everything it takes to win then? Recruiting and hiring better assistants??

Reactions: gamecockblack
So you're saying he should commit to staying longer than his contract because??????
You are familiar with the term "contract?"

When his contract is up, he'll be gone, win, lose or draw.

You should be happy he solidified it for you that he's going to be here through the end of his contract.
That will give you and all the other fair weather fans a chance to "scout" a new HBC for us..
Ahhhh yes. the Contract. Here is how you handle that.
Tear-up-contract.jpg

Which is exactly why he is likely to retire soon. Unless, you know, the "losing really is not that bad" crowd has gotten him over their side.

Here we go again. Spurrier getting cute with the media . . . again. Just like the '2-3 more years' thing, Spurrier acts like he's oblivious to the realities of SEC college football by giving glib responses to the media.

It don't (sic) work that way, Steve boy. Whether you're serious or not or trying to be another Jimmy Kimmel, the media AND or our REAL enemies (13 SEC teams + Clemmie) will take your remarks (like '2-3 more years' and 'I've got 3 more years on my contract') and they'll run (us over) with them!

Sometimes I wonder who our REAL enemies are.

If I was Tanner, honestly, I would have a serious case of the 'running S%*&@' right now!

I am asking a sincere question so please do not think that I am trying to be offensive. I'm almost 70 so the rivalry hatred has no appeal to me. If you were in a job where you had 3 years left on your contract at $4M per year, both of your sons had families and worked for your company and would be terminated if you quit, one of your daughters and her family moved to the city where you work, your other daughter moved 1 hour away, you are perfectly contented with your life, neighborhood, and golf club then why in the world would you quit? Would you not wait and force the company to fire you so you could collect $12M?
Yup. $12 mill? Fire me, I ain't quitting.

HC in waiting rarely works out well (Muschamp at Texas?). Plus, what head coach from another program is going to say he's the HC in waiting for next year at SC? Zero.
No one wants a coach with that tag on their staff, it limits his off campus recruiting just like he is the head coach.

This is true. I don't care that UCF is 0-3. They lost two games by 1 point. & you KNOW they will play their best to try & get back at us for beating them 2 yrs ago down in FL. They know we've already lost at home to KY so I'm sure their coach will be telling them that they can do the same thing. We need to come out & jump on them fast. If we don't we may find ourselves in a dogfight early in the game. All of that said, I hope Nunez plays well & kicks UCF's ass!

I dislike SOS as much as the next guy, USC is down on talent a little from the past, there is no Lattimore, no Clowney or Shaw on campus or any other campus I am aware of. But I agree USC's talent level is down from 3 years ago. But I think you guys are putting too much into the recruiting coordinator, its a title given to someone on staff to get him more money, he doesn't decide who is recruited at every position he recruits like other staff members. I am not saying anything about his recruiting ability or coaching ability, you know far more about that than me. But to blame him on the all the recruiting issues in unfair to him, there are more than 1 who must be a weak recruiter.

How many here would fire their son, their grandkids dad regardless of the job he is doing? That's why its probably never a good idea to work together.

I dislike SOS as much as the next guy, USC is down on talent a little from the past, there is no Lattimore, no Clowney or Shaw on campus or any other campus I am aware of. But I agree USC's talent level is down from 3 years ago. But I think you guys are putting too much into the recruiting coordinator, its a title given to someone on staff to get him more money, he doesn't decide who is recruited at every position he recruits like other staff members. I am not saying anything about his recruiting ability or coaching ability, you know far more about that than me. But to blame him on the all the recruiting issues in unfair to him, there are more than 1 who must be a weak recruiter.

How many here would fire their son, their grandkids dad regardless of the job he is doing? That's why its probably never a good idea to work together.
You make some good points, & I'm sure Jr is not the only one who has slipped on the recruiting trail these last couple years.

Ahhhhh your lack of integrity is amazing, but, in your case, understandable.
Says the guy, taking up for guy that say he doesn't want to "toss in the towel" for another 12 million dollars, but has been giving us "toss in the towel" effort for the last 2 or 3 years.

You all talk so much BS. It was an off the cuff statement. He is tired of hearing everyone say this is his last year after every season. People like him don't give up and throw in the towel so easily like many people. Just before that they said we have a pretty good qb coming in who's name we can't mention. For those who don't know Spurrier told Mcalwain he would be here all 4years. Seriously, give the man a break.

G-C-Gamecock evidently understands what I did a poor job of explaining. Spurrier holds all of the cards. He knows that SC employs his two sons both of whom will be terminated if he quits. If this season ends up as many of you are predicting then Tanner will feel incredible pressure to fire Spurrier. Why should he retire if can leave with the $12M ($7M after taxes) to help set his sons up for the future? SOS is all about SOS. He will act as if he will finish his contract but that is nothing more than a negotiating ploy. He has $12 million reasons to just hang around realizing that SC will have little choice except to terminate him.

G-C-Gamecock evidently understands what I did a poor job of explaining. Spurrier holds all of the cards. He knows that SC employs his two sons both of whom will be terminated if he quits. If this season ends up as many of you are predicting then Tanner will feel incredible pressure to fire Spurrier. Why should he retire if can leave with the $12M ($7M after taxes) to help set his sons up for the future? SOS is all about SOS. He will act as if he will finish his contract but that is nothing more than a negotiating ploy. He has $12 million reasons to just hang around realizing that SC will have little choice except to terminate him.
Seriously the most idiotic statement yet...

Says the guy, taking up for guy that say he doesn't want to "toss in the towel" for another 12 million dollars, but has been giving us "toss in the towel" effort for the last 2 or 3 years.
I don't see a correlation in my standing up for Spurrier and a lack of integrity.

You seem to believe that his pay should change on an annual basis , based on the teams performance.
I see it as, he's earned his salary and while there are always expectations for greatness, the contract didn't stipulate that.
You were more than happy with him when he was winning games but now you are using his salary, that was based on his previous performance, against him.

Flawed logic at best.

You advocate simply refusing to follow the contract. Serious lack of integrity.. but, consider the source.... you

Spurrier already has all the money he needs. Funny how some of you don't get that. So does his family and children. Its not about money. Your statement is idiotic. He will not be terminated or allow that to happen so he can collect more money. The funny thing is once he whips clempsons ass for the 6th time in 7 years you taters will crawl back under a rock.

Hoke wanted to bring some staff this year. Spurrier said he didn't want to pay coaches not to coach. But that's what he's doing.the only time I got excited last year was when I thought Muschamp was coming in. We are paying Spurrier 4 million to half ass it and Hoke and Ward 1.5 million to totally ass it.

Be honest here, if you're 70 years old, would you really be coaching for another 5 years???

And what player with a half a brain would believe Spuirrer will be around another 5 years???

I think if s player comes in, he might want to start hearing about a successor to Spuirrer and decided if they want to play at Carolina...

Everyone says it's not about the money but it really is for Spurrier considering all the family and friends he has employed. The longer Spurrier works the less his grandkids and great-grandkids have to work.

Dude, he has plenty of money and usc will pay him as an advisor if he wants. My God , he has donated millions to the school. If he needed the money so bad that wouldn't happen. Just stop with the money crap. Its so stupid.

I wonder if he is too blind to see Jr.'s shortcomings or sees it but refuses to make the changes we need to get better?? I mean anyone but Mangus on THIS staff should not be recruiting coordinator. Mangus by far is best recruiter we have. So if all of us see it, why doesnt he?

If Mangus is the best recruiter, why are we starting a true FR QB tomorrow @ the position he coaches.

The best coach and player developer on this staff right now is Shawn Elliott IMO. Our QBs have time to throw and are seldom sacked and our RBS have room to run and won the NC game for us.

Our current lack of ability in the passing game is astounding to me. I never imagined losing Dylan Thompson, Nick Jones, Mike Davis, and a TE would kill this offense when we had a QB in his 3rd year taking over with the top returning WR in the SEC.

You don't think Mangus is our best recruiter ? Who do you think got McIlwain. I thought it was well-known that he was. The same could be said for Jr about playing walk-ons. Our best WR was brought in as a DB. We missed on so many good WRs.

Here is the kicker. He has said 4-5 years latley well what happens in 17 when recruits know there will be a change? Givinging a time table is what has killed us in recruiting now and until he retires. If he retires soon we need to look young and stop hiring these older coaches

Trouble with a Head Coach in waiting is that it's not in his interest to do a good job.

Look at Jimbo Fisher- if he'd have been the great OC he was cracked up to be, Bowden would still be running FSU and racking up career wins on Jimbo's back. So Bowden leaves after the misery continues and suddenly Jimbo remembers how to coach.

A Head Coach in waiting would just give you guys one more coach not doing his job.

His comment may not hurt (I think it does), but it certainly doesn't help at all. He should've either stuck with the 5-6 years statement, or said something generic or given a typical coach-speak type answer such as, "I plan to be here a long time," etc...

Having your sons work for you adds a very tough wrinkle to the whole situation, though. As does bringing in Hoke just this year. I think that makes it very unlikely that he steps down. But I also don't see Tanner firing him either, regardless of the results of this season - which I see ending better than many here (barring further injury I still think you beat Mizzou and Florida. But that's a discussion for another thread).

Okay, so the "right" logic I am hearing is this: He has already earned whatever his contract said because he got someone to sign. So he doesn't have to try if he doesn't want to or get any kinds of results and can just collect whatever amount that contract says and ensure whatever salary his sons on the staff are making as well an there is no integrity issue with that. Right? He is just allowed to hold this program hostage and basically steal what he thinks and you think is rightfully his for the next three years. Yeah, right not about the money 12 millions dollars. BS. He just said it was about the money. Read the first post again.

Here is the kicker. He has said 4-5 years latley well what happens in 17 when recruits know there will be a change? Givinging a time table is what has killed us in recruiting now and until he retires. If he retires soon we need to look young and stop hiring these older coaches
He's been saying 4-5 year for like 7 years now. The jig is up any anyone with a brain now knows that it's BS.

Muschamp, yeah he is really getting it done.
Okay, so Muschamp sucks after three games with only one loss to LSU at LSU, but Hoke lost to Kentucky, and put up no resistance against a scrub QB in Athens and the jury is still out on him, we have to see how the season plays out for Hoke because he still may be the man while Muschamp is garbage.... Give me a freakin break.

Okay, so Muschamp sucks after three games with only one loss to LSU at LSU, but Hoke lost to Kentucky, and put up no resistance against a scrub QB in Athens and the jury is still out on him, we have to see how the season plays out for Hoke because he still may be the man while Muschamp is garbage.... Give me a freakin break.

Yeah, but Muschamp doesn't have Ward by his side to help run down the team...

I don't know what a coach is supposed to say nowadays. I suppose all us idiots and the idiot recruits just want to be lied to? I guess everybody in Miami was relieved when Saban said "I am not going to be the Alabama coach." Did every coach in America who was fired, retired, poached by a bigger school, or made the jump to the NFL at the end of the year tell their recruits and fans that they were going to be in their current position until the day they died.

Does anyone really think Hugh Freeze, if he keeps winning at this level at Ole Miss, will be there for the next three years? Is Bret Bielema telling his recruits he'll definitely be at Arkansas for the next 3 years? Right now, I wouldn't bet much money that Gus Malzahn will be in Auburn long enough to see the 2018 season. Yes, we overanalyze what Spurrier says about his future in coaching and it sounds like the only way we'll be satisfied is if he tells us bold-faced lies.

Jeez. This is just Spurrier shooting from the hip. Trying to be funny to a stupid question that he's been asked about a thousand times. Unfortunately, nothing goes unnoticed in today's world... and Spurrier is just not the kind of guy who realizes it. He's got a big mouth and says what he wants without really thinking too much about it. He has always been that way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT