ADVERTISEMENT

Staff shaping up nicely so far ...

Most don’t like the friend hire (and I was put off by it initially) but makes sense with Bobo, he bombed at Tenn but was pretty successful wherever he was with Bobo

I think this speaks to Beamers emphasis on fit and not just name
Exactly. Beamer seems to know what is important behind the scenes- “fit” and cohesive strategy are vital for an OC/OL coach especially.. He talks about this staff being a family and that is the exact opposite of how Muschamp ran things. We will see how it works out... I am optimistic.

Wish he had not retained the defensive coaches he has kept though... but we sure don’t know everything and maybe he knew we would lose a bunch of guys from that front 7 to transfer if he got rid of the DL and OLB coaches? We return more talented guys along that DL than any position group. Maybe keeping a few coaches those players like (and adding the former HS coach of two of the best ones) had as much to do with retaining some of our few talented players as it did with just flat getting the “best coaches”? Can’t win without talent and relationships bring in/RETAIN talent. Our DL did well rushing the passer at times.. At least we canned the guys who coached the secondary!

We won't know "fit" for awhile. Think about your own career and the times you were successful and the times you were not. What was different?
Fit is sometimes identifiable through history. Bobo is a solid fit with his OL coach we know this because they worked together so much in the past and had success.. Fit is not a guarantee of future success but it is a positive indicator.

anxious to see who the DC will be.

I respect the Beamer guys that have admitted these hires have been underwhelming. Wanna bet most of these holdover assistants are gone next year once their guaranteed money ends?

Reactions: CoachT13
I respect the Beamer guys that have admitted these hires have been underwhelming. Wanna bet most of these holdover assistants are gone next year once their guaranteed money ends?
Really doubt that.
The coaches retained just started this past year and dealt with Covid etc
Has nothing to do with “ guaranteed money “

I’ll take that bet by most you meant 3 out of 4?

Shaping up nicely? Are u serious Clark? Sorry but Beamer keeping Bobo is ridiculous. His staff hires have been completely underwhelming and he’s keeping 3-4 others from this amazing staff? LOL.
It is what it is. It’s the Garnet Way. I have zero excitement about the future. Hope I’m wrong.

Realistically he has hired two guys in Kimrey and Lembo and both of those seem like good hires. Friend is in because of Bobo and the other guys are simply holdovers. Out of his hires it’s seems he’s done a pretty good job it’s just that combining those two with the other 5 seems a little “meh”. Hopefully he makes the calls to round out the staff.

• Haha
Reactions: hornet9577
Realistically he has hired two guys in Kimrey and Lembo and both of those seem like good hires. Friend is in because of Bobo and the other guys are simply holdovers. Out of his hires it’s seems he’s done a pretty good job it’s just that combining those two with the other 5 seems a little “meh”. Hopefully he makes the calls to round out the staff.
Not trying to be argumentative at all...just interested in why you you consider Kimrey a good hire. Not saying he isn't just curious as to your thoughts

Reactions: hornet9577
The new coaches are bringing us a new excitement for the future.

tenor.gif

Not trying to be argumentative at all...just interested in why you you consider Kimrey a good hire. Not saying he isn't just curious as to your thoughts
Kimrey has a good football mind. He has been successful as a HC with Hammond and experience recruiting inside of SC. His in state connections could be a big help in identifying guys early and just in general he seems like a legitimately nice guy who enjoys what he does. When trying to attract kids to come play at your program having energetic coaches for them to interact with is big.

Some people think a guy has to have "experience" at Texas, Florida, Auburn, South Carolina, and the Miami Dolphins to be considered a "good hire."

Some people look at a guys record of success at the level he's been involved, have watched him interact with football people, and have listened to his insights on both the game itself and managing/motivating people. I suspect this is why the poster considers Kimrey "a good hire".

I believe he is an EXCELLENT hire and one I have been waiting for.

Wish he had not retained the defensive coaches he has kept though

I think that your position inaccurately presupposes that Shane had any say in which assistants were retained. I would've kept Connor regardless, but after the debacle where the team refused to play in the bowl game because of Bobo, the only explanation for keeping him is that Ray stupidly handed him a 2-year contract and that the Athletic Department either cannot or will not pay the buyouts to the holdover Muschamp staff because of the budgetary issues that have arisen from the pandemic. No prospective HC with any bargaining power would willingly accede to the demand that he keep the prior HC's staff members. Look at what happened with Napier, Bill Clark etc. turning down Auburn because of the insistence on keeping Kevin Steele. Auburn had the money and wherewithal to pull a rabbit out of a hat with Harsin but our job isn't anywhere near that attractive, so we hired a HC with no experience and kept an OC who actively cost us games by insisting we keep running Glass Joe out at QB. If, as I suspect, Bobo continues to fail next year, then we'll be set up for another rotating OC situation, which plagued us with Muschamp. Alternatively, we'll just accept mediocrity and won't do anything until Caslin is forced to fire Ray, and then we'll have to hire a new AD and new FB HC and staff in 2024. Maybe Dabo will take the Jags job and Clemson will fall apart under Venables and Shane will somehow make lemonade out of the metric ton of lemons he's been handed, but I'm not seeing how he gets 4 wins in years one or two.

I think that your position inaccurately presupposes that Shane had any say in which assistants were retained. I would've kept Connor regardless, but after the debacle where the team refused to play in the bowl game because of Bobo, the only explanation for keeping him is that Ray stupidly handed him a 2-year contract and that the Athletic Department either cannot or will not pay the buyouts to the holdover Muschamp staff because of the budgetary issues that have arisen from the pandemic. No prospective HC with any bargaining power would willingly accede to the demand that he keep the prior HC's staff members. Look at what happened with Napier, Bill Clark etc. turning down Auburn because of the insistence on keeping Kevin Steele. Auburn had the money and wherewithal to pull a rabbit out of a hat with Harsin but our job isn't anywhere near that attractive, so we hired a HC with no experience and kept an OC who actively cost us games by insisting we keep running Glass Joe out at QB. If, as I suspect, Bobo continues to fail next year, then we'll be set up for another rotating OC situation, which plagued us with Muschamp. Alternatively, we'll just accept mediocrity and won't do anything until Caslin is forced to fire Ray, and then we'll have to hire a new AD and new FB HC and staff in 2024. Maybe Dabo will take the Jags job and Clemson will fall apart under Venables and Shane will somehow make lemonade out of the metric ton of lemons he's been handed, but I'm not seeing how he gets 4 wins in years one or two.
You do not know any of that to be true.

Reactions: The Gadfly
You do not know any of that to be true.

I wasn't personally involved in any of the negotiations on Shane's salary or staff composition, or the discussions about the bowl game, but I suspect neither were you nor was anyone else posting on this forum. I do know what has been reported, which includes, inter alia, the following:

1) It's been widely reported that Auburn got rejected by multiple coaches because of the insistence on retaining Steele --- "A source of the logjam, sources said, is Auburn’s insistence that the next head coach retain associate head coach/defensive line coach Rodney Garner, and possibly defensive coordinator Kevin Steele as well." Auburn Article. Retaining assistants after a HC is fired is the exception, not the rule, and given the current economic climate it is easy to infer that Shane had no leverage to insist on bringing in "his guys." His effusive praise for Bobo that was published on Sunday seems like the type of thing the SID wrote up for him.

2) It has been reported publicly that the players didn't want to play in the Gasparilla Bowl because of Bobo --- "... South Carolina held a players-only meeting, after which they went to the school’s athletic director to tell them they did not want to play for the former Georgia quarterback and offensive coordinator." Bowl Game Article and Mike Uva's related Tweet.

3) We are paying Shane $2.75m/year to be HC --- "Beamer is on a five-year deal making $2.75 million per year in what is the first head coaching gig of his career." Beamer Contract. I haven't seen figures for what Clark Lea is going to make at Vandy, but Harsin is rumored to be making in the range of 4m/year at Auburn: "Auburn would likely double his current mark at least and put him close to $4M per year with incentives to start." Harsin Salary That being the case, and looking at the 2020 salaries, Shane would still come in at $150k less per year than Sam Pittman got last year going into Arkansas without any HC experience, and Pittman will likely get a raise after this year for doing so much with so little. Ergo, it is indisputable that by hiring Beamer, we are bringing in a coach who will be making one of the two lowest, if not the lowest, salaries in the conference. You can call it being smart, thrifty, or frugal, but in my view, that is clear proof that Ray is being cheap because of his previous poor financial decisions.

Nick Saban (Alabama) – $9.3M

Ed Orgeron (LSU) – $8.919M

Jimbo Fisher (Texas A&M) – $7.5M

Kirby Smart (Georgia) – $6.934M

Gus Malzahn (Auburn) – $6.928M

Dan Mullen (Florida) – $6.07M

Mark Stoops (Kentucky) – $5.014M

Mike Leach (Mississippi State) – $5M

Will Muschamp (South Carolina) – $4.37M

Eliah Drinkwitz (Missouri) – $3.925M

Jeremy Pruitt (Tennessee) – $3.846M

Lane Kiffin (Mississippi) – $3.764M

* Derek Mason (Vanderbilt) – $3.534M

Sam Pittman (Arkansas) $2.9M

Source: https://www.knoxnews.com/story/spor...s-database-jeremy-pruitt-contract/3651240001/

Last edited:
Reactions: Dizzy01
I wasn't personally involved in any of the negotiations on Shane's salary or staff composition, or the discussions about the bowl game, but I suspect neither were you nor was anyone else posting on this forum. I do know what has been reported, which includes, inter alia, the following:

1) It's been widely reported that Auburn got rejected by multiple coaches because of the insistence on retaining Steele --- "A source of the logjam, sources said, is Auburn’s insistence that the next head coach retain associate head coach/defensive line coach Rodney Garner, and possibly defensive coordinator Kevin Steele as well." Auburn Article. Retaining assistants after a HC is fired is the exception, not the rule, and given the current economic climate it is easy to infer that Shane had no leverage to insist on bringing in "his guys." His effusive praise for Bobo that was published on Sunday seems like the type of thing the SID wrote up for him.

2) It has been reported publicly that the players didn't want to play in the Gasparilla Bowl because of Bobo --- "... South Carolina held a players-only meeting, after which they went to the school’s athletic director to tell them they did not want to play for the former Georgia quarterback and offensive coordinator." Bowl Game Article and Mike Uva's related Tweet.

3) We are paying Shane $2.75m/year to be HC --- "Beamer is on a five-year deal making $2.75 million per year in what is the first head coaching gig of his career." Beamer Contract. I haven't seen figures for what Clark Lea is going to make at Vandy, but Harsin is rumored to be making in the range of 4m/year at Auburn: "Auburn would likely double his current mark at least and put him close to $4M per year with incentives to start." Harsin Salary That being the case, and looking at the 2020 salaries, Shane would still come in at $150k less per year than Sam Pittman got last year going into Arkansas without any HC experience, and Pittman will likely get a raise after this year for doing so much with so little. Ergo, it is indisputable that by hiring Beamer, we are bringing in a coach who will be making one of the two lowest, if not the lowest, salaries in the conference. You can call it being smart, thrifty, or frugal, but in my view, that is clear proof that Ray is being cheap because of his previous poor financial decisions.

Nick Saban (Alabama) – $9.3M

Ed Orgeron (LSU) – $8.919M

Jimbo Fisher (Texas A&M) – $7.5M

Kirby Smart (Georgia) – $6.934M

Gus Malzahn (Auburn) – $6.928M

Dan Mullen (Florida) – $6.07M

Mark Stoops (Kentucky) – $5.014M

Mike Leach (Mississippi State) – $5M

Will Muschamp (South Carolina) – $4.37M

Eliah Drinkwitz (Missouri) – $3.925M

Jeremy Pruitt (Tennessee) – $3.846M

Lane Kiffin (Mississippi) – $3.764M

* Derek Mason (Vanderbilt) – $3.534M

Sam Pittman (Arkansas) $2.9M

Source: https://www.knoxnews.com/story/spor...s-database-jeremy-pruitt-contract/3651240001/
My point is you are jumping to a lot of conclusions here... Sure- there are a few facts mixed in with your conjecture... Like the fact he took a low salary. The reason for why he took a low salary is where you meander into your opinions... “Shane Beamer has the lowest salary of any HC in the SEC”= fact- “because Ray Tanner was just being cheap and is scared to make a big financial commitment because it burned him last time”= conjecture. I do not know any more than you and for that reason we should take things at face value until presented with evidence that changes the facts. Beamer stated he accepted a lower salary to be able to afford to spend more on his staff. Our OC makes over a million if I recall. I suspect our DC will as well, and I hope we break the damn bank to get a really GOOD WR COACH in here too! That is the most important position to improve on this team. It just seems too many people are coming to this board lately to bend the facts we do know into these half baked conspiracy theories about a coach being forced to do stuff or these made up reasons why Tanner hired Beamer.. but the truth seems to be pretty clear to me. The truth is they already told us why he was hired. The truth is Bobo is an experienced, respected, successful offensive coordinator in the SEC. He is, was lst year and would be again this year- a hot commodity as an OC at multiple big name programs if he was on the market. There is no need to make all this stuff up to try to slander our administration or coaching staff, as in the end that is what these damaging rumors are doing.

Reactions: WingchunCock
Let's be honest, we should be paying a low salary relative to the rest of the SEC until we see some results that justify paying more.

The absurdity we should just pay a bunch of money because our competitors are is mind boggling. We've yet to lose a coach to another institution. Until that becomes a viable threat there is reason to live in fear of it.

I wondered about this when it was reported. It sounded plausible, given the way the season ended.

But think about this. How bad is it if the coach players revolted against is retained?

The other option, obviously, was that it was just not true.

Fit is sometimes identifiable through history. Bobo is a solid fit with his OL coach we know this because they worked together so much in the past and had success.. Fit is not a guarantee of future success but it is a positive indicator.
I agree - except to say that the key to building a winning culture is for the entire staff to "fit" not just two of them. Getting it right is Coach Beamer's #1 responsibility. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries.

When Spurrier was hired he had co-defensive coordinators - John Thompson and Tyrone Nix. I remember the first few games no one could figure out what in the hell he was doing. We had defensive linemen standing up when the ball was snapped. Halfway through the season Spurrier demoted him and then let him go at the end of 2005. Tyrone Nix didn't do much better and eventually he left for Mississippi State and Ellis Johnson left Mississippi State for SC. There were offensive line problems which resulted in Spurrier replacing John Hunt with Shawn Elliott in 2008.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
Ah yes, the so-called “player revolt”. If you followed Mike Uva’s follow up to his original tweet, the “revolt” involved a “a few players” from“one position group” (according to Uva’s unnamed source). Uva knew which group, but refused to say which one. Now, in light of certaIn players hitting the transfer portal shortly thereafter, I think we can take a reasonable guess as to which position group was involved. Bear in mind that this was a position group for which Muschamp was not only their head coach, but also their position coach, and it’s no surprise that most of these guys were very close to Muschamp, and were unhappy that he was fired (and probably none to happy that T-Rob wasn’t going to be retained, either). No big surprise if that’s what happened with a group of players who had no particular loyalty to Mike Bobo, who didn’t recruit them, and didn’t directly coach them. If anything it seems more like these guys didn’t want to play anymore, at least not at SC, regardless of who was coaching. It really didn’t matter, because thanks to covid issues among the staff (among them Mike Bobo, who thus couldn’t have coached the team in the bowl game anyway) and the team, plus injuries, plus opt-outs, they were down to 50 scholarship players, and any more positive tests or contact tracing would have put them below the minimum anyway. This team was pretty well spent, physically and emotionally, practice had to be cancelled twice (before the players-only meeting). I think this was about the attachment of those players to Muschamp and T-Rob, not any personal dislike of Mike Bobo.

Ah yes, the so-called “player revolt”. If you followed Mike Uva’s follow up to his original tweet, the “revolt” involved a “a few players” from“one position group” (according to Uva’s unnamed source). Uva knew which group, but refused to say which one. Now, in light of certaIn players hitting the transfer portal shortly thereafter, I think we can take a reasonable guess as to which position group was involved. Bear in mind that this was a position group for which Muschamp was not only their head coach, but also their position coach, and it’s no surprise that most of these guys were very close to Muschamp, and were unhappy that he was fired (and probably none to happy that T-Rob wasn’t going to be retained, either). No big surprise if that’s what happened with a group of players who had no particular loyalty to Mike Bobo, who didn’t recruit them, and didn’t directly coach them. If anything it seems more like these guys didn’t want to play anymore, at least not at SC, regardless of who was coaching. It really didn’t matter, because thanks to covid issues among the staff (among them Mike Bobo, who thus couldn’t have coached the team in the bowl game anyway) and the team, plus injuries, plus opt-outs, they were down to 50 scholarship players, and any more positive tests or contact tracing would have put them below the minimum anyway. This team was pretty well spent, physically and emotionally, practice had to be cancelled twice (before the players-only meeting). I think this was about the attachment of those players to Muschamp and T-Rob, not any personal dislike of Mike Bobo.
Thank you for taking the time to post that; many of us have simply lost the energy to continue running around plugging the holes in the dike of reality. I think most social media fans get their “information” from the social media comments sections.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
Much ado about nothing. The players Bobo will actually be coaching like him. A lot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT