ADVERTISEMENT

Staley criticizes, then retracts criticism of, Maria Hickman (Sr. Assoc. AD)

MowerDave

Jun 10, 2020
Initially voiced criticism of Hickman in a Post and Courier article, and actually called for her to be replaced, for what Staley perceived to be Hickman's inadequacies when it comes to diversity and inclusion.

“Do I think she’s doing a great job? Yes,” Staley told The State. “Do I think she’s versed in diversity and inclusion? No. And I expressed that to her as well. We need somebody else who is versed in it to take our university and our athletic department to another level.”

Later Tweeted an apology and somewhat of a retraction.

"Let me say this, I apologize to Maria Hickman for speaking out of line for all the things she’s doing and have done to advance black coaches, black student athletes including all student athletes and black administrators at @UofSC. She’s done more than I was privy to know."

https://www.postandcourier.com/spor...cle_92da5458-c9f3-11ea-8376-efcc19ef2a81.html

I'm pretty surprised by this. Dawn's been around a long time and is quite savvy, so I'm surprised she aired her grievance publicly instead of just handling it in-house. She says in her Tweet that Hickman has actually done more for diversity and inclusion that Dawn was aware. With her experience, I'm surprised she didn't get all the facts first.

Initially voiced criticism of Hickman in a Post and Courier article, and actually called for her to be replaced, for what Staley perceived to be Hickman's inadequacies when it comes to diversity and inclusion.

“Do I think she’s doing a great job? Yes,” Staley told The State. “Do I think she’s versed in diversity and inclusion? No. And I expressed that to her as well. We need somebody else who is versed in it to take our university and our athletic department to another level.”

"Let me say this, I apologize to Maria Hickman for speaking out of line for all the things she’s doing and have done to advance black coaches, black student athletes including all student athletes and black administrators at @UofSC. She’s done more than I was privy to know."

https://www.postandcourier.com/spor...cle_92da5458-c9f3-11ea-8376-efcc19ef2a81.html

I'm pretty surprised by this. Dawn's been around a long time and is quite savvy, so I'm surprised she aired her grievance publicly instead of just handling it in-house. She says in her Tweet that Hickman has actually done more for diversity and inclusion that Dawn was aware. With her experience, I'm surprised she didn't get all the facts first.
Here's the problem with not only Dawn but everyone else on Social Media. We are very quick to react to things without doing the necessary research. If people would take just a little bit of time to do some research we would probably see a less volatile country.

Here's the problem with not only Dawn but everyone else on Social Media. We are very quick to react to things without doing the necessary research. If people would take just a little bit of time to do some research we would probably see a less volatile country.

Wholeheartedly agree.

I do think it's quite possible that Dawn knew what she was doing. People are going to remember the criticism more so than the apology. I just think she's far too savvy to have spoken out in such a forceful way without thinking about it.

And here's the REAL problem. You can't take these things back once they are out there. Dawn wants to be an aggressive, assertive voice. That used to come with a responsibility to be an accurate, truthful voice before you officially go on record in such an official manner.

And here's the REAL problem. You can't take these things back once they are out there. Dawn wants to be an aggressive, assertive voice. That used to come with a responsibility to be an accurate, truthful voice before you officially go on record in such an official manner.

It would be one thing if she had just kept it general and said that more could be done for diversity and inclusion. But she actually called for someone to lose their job over it.

Speaking of lack of diversity and inclusion...

IKR

Gamecocks_WBB_2019_20_.0.jpg

Yeah, she apologized after publicly calling for someone to be fired/replaced based upon, by her own admission, a false premise. Real big of her...

My point was not that she was without fault - clearly she was, on the surface and by her own admission. My point was that she had the humility to admit it and apologize publicly. That's a rarity in our leaders these days.

I read this as her saying hire someone in addition to Hickman, not fire her. She has other duties, not just diversity.

That's exactly what she did. And it was a couple of weeks ago when they took this lady, who already had a job within the school, and added the diversity and inclusion title to it. Staley's criticism was that they just dumped that title on her without any special training and Staley thought a job that important should be given to someone trained to do that specific job.

You guys ought to have all the facts too before jumping on someone who may not have all the facts.

You are the AD and now you add to your plate a social movement which could potentially have employees making statements very publically about your other employees, many times damaging. Do you honestly believe Dawn just realized all of a sudden she was wrong? That Tanner stood in a corner and let it all happen? I had the wonderful experience, as many of you have had, of managing groups of people in the workplace for many years. It's not much fun when it's a normal year.

Let's give Ray some props here. We trash him alot, but I suspect he was involved in the aftermath of this article. If not, he's not doing his job.

You guys ought to have all the facts too before jumping on someone who may not have all the facts.

Oh, what I would give to have _ALL_ the facts! If I did, I'd know who has all the facts (me) and who doesn't have all the facts (everybody else). And that's a fact, Jack.

Dawn feels like she's earned the right to be vocal. In this instance, a little too vocal. To her credit she made a very public apology, was in our sports section this morning.

Personally I wish sports figures would stick to sports, but that isn't going to happen. At least Dawn doesn't do these things during the games. Ala some NFL players taking a knee during our National Anthem. To me that's bullshit, and they'll lose a viewer in me, and millions of other Americans. The rarely offended ('boomers') will certainly be offended by kneeling. Many of us are the offspring of WWII Veterans, including ME!

Last edited:

why? She was asked an off the cuff question, she is a normal person, bot some politician preparing ti debate Hickman or something... Do any of you stop and take a bunch of time to research a person before answering a question about them when asked on the spot like that? Nope. Nobody does. She was simply answering based on what she knew and after learning more cane out publicly to set the record straight. It is the standup way to handle things. It is uncommon in today’s society where even the leaders of our country will say moronic things and never admit they were wrong, but it is the correct way to handle yourself when you are a public figure and know your words carry some weight. If you say something about someone and find out later it is untrue you can/should admit it and apologize...

Dawn geeks like she's earned the right to be vocal. In this instance, a little too vocal. To her credit she made a very public apology, was in our sports section this morning.

Personally I wish sports figures would stick to sports, but that isn't going to happen. At least Dawn doesn't do these this things during the games. Ala some NFL players taking a knee during our National Anthem. To me that's bullshit, and they'll lose a viewer in me, and millions of other Americans. The rarely offended ('boomers') will certainly be offended by kneeling. Many of us are the offspring of WWII Veterans, including ME!
Careful, I'm guessing there will be some form of political statement on the floor or on the uniforms.

Certainly seems to be a misstep on Coach Staley's part, to take this to the court of public opinion before having all the facts. In Coach Staley's position as a highly successful - the most successful right now - head coach in the AD, she certainly had the position to discuss these matters privately within the department, and learned everything she needed to know before making this a thing for all to discuss. She could have attempted changes in the department without it ever getting to the public point, and then if those efforts failed, or she learned all that she could and found it to be lacking, THEN take it public.

As it is now, she made a mistake, but put totally unnecessary pressure and unfounded negative perspective on Hickman and her job, before Staley knew the total situation....

Reactions: TheReelEss
I would like to see the ethnic breakdown of all our athletes, not names, just numbers. I will bet it does not reflect societal numbers. Are there good white WBB players out there? Geno has a trophy case that says yes. Sabrina from Oregon, Sophie from Mizzery, Katie Lou. Why have we not signed any? Diversity is as diversity does.

why? She was asked an off the cuff question, she is a normal person, bot some politician preparing ti debate Hickman or something... Do any of you stop and take a bunch of time to research a person before answering a question about them when asked on the spot like that? Nope. Nobody does. She was simply answering based on what she knew and after learning more cane out publicly to set the record straight. It is the standup way to handle things. It is uncommon in today’s society where even the leaders of our country will say moronic things and never admit they were wrong, but it is the correct way to handle yourself when you are a public figure and know your words carry some weight. If you say something about someone and find out later it is untrue you can/should admit it and apologize...

part of her answer was that she had already gone and told Hickman she was doing a bad job. That meeting was likely not off the cuff. I would also not call, off the cuff, for someone to be fired.

These girls are pretty, but...

I think I would have them all stand or sit lady like... Too many crotch shots....

#24 get rid of the knee pads, and replace them with the knee socks like #21 or #32 and find knee socks for #15 to cover up the scars...

That blonde in the back and #12 are two hotties...

These girls are pretty, but...

I think I would have them all stand or sit lady like... Too many crotch shots....

#24 get rid of the knee pads, and replace them with the knee socks like #21 or #32 and find knee socks for #15 to cover up the scars...

That blonde in the back and #12 are two hotties...
To each his own, but IMO 21 is the hottie. Blondie ain't shabby though.

Let's give Ray some props here. We trash him alot, but I suspect he was involved in the aftermath of this article. If not, he's not doing his job.

I agree, I think Ray had to call her in and have a talk to straighten things out.

Too many people are too quick to jump on social media without knowing the facts. In her position, she needs to be acutely aware that her words carry weight, just like it would for anyone in a leadership position.

It's clear from the beginning when she spoke to Hickman she didn't have all of the facts, then she doubled down on it during the interview.

Hopefully she, and others learned a valuable lesson from all of this.

Everybody is coaching is now a social justice warrior. Or acts like it. Mostly for recruiting purposes. But Dawn went to the next level demanding she be fired. I do hope somebody at the university gave her a little talking to about staying in her lane.

Reactions: PC31 and jthunder
Everybody is coaching is now a social justice warrior. Or acts like it. Mostly for recruiting purposes. But Dawn went to the next level demanding she be fired. I do hope somebody at the university gave her a little talking to about staying in her lane.

She didn't come close to demanding or suggesting that she be fired. This is how crap gets started.

It would be one thing if she had just kept it general and said that more could be done for diversity and inclusion. But she actually called for someone to lose their job over it.
Right. She said she needed to be replaced. Serious statement. AD had to have a serious conversation with her.

She didn't come close to demanding or suggesting that she be fired. This is how crap gets started.

We need somebody else who is versed in it to take our university and our athletic department to another level.”

This is an actual quote from Dawn. Did she come out with the exact words that she should be fired? No. But the statement basically says the same thing. Of course without knowing the facts, Dawn felt compelled to put on her social justice warrior cape and make a statement.

Staley took it upon herself to apologize publicly for her earlier comments. So refreshing to see a leader with the good grace and humility to admit when they were wrong.
WHAT!!!! Why did Staley do it to begin with? What would be refreshing is for the person to whom she called out, say to Dawn, I don't accept your apology because you knew what you were doing was VILE...

My question would be, what is it that athletes are not getting at Carolina that they need more of?

My goodness if Dawn is promoting for more blacks to be hired in the athletic dept., I think they are well represented....Here's what some are thinking but have not said, our basketball team is far from being racially mixed. UConn, Oregon, Louisville, Baylor all have several white girls who are major contributors.

If we are a national brand now, why are none of the top white basketball players choosing Carolina? Makes you wonder....

Last edited:
Reactions: Cybercock
I would like to see the ethnic breakdown of all our athletes, not names, just numbers. I will bet it does not reflect societal numbers. Are there good white WBB players out there? Geno has a trophy case that says yes. Sabrina from Oregon, Sophie from Mizzery, Katie Lou. Why have we not signed any? Diversity is as diversity does.
Are you serious??? You are complaining about Dawn's recruiting?
I guess Muschamp and Saban, and Dabo should recruit more white players because Christian McCaffery is a hell of a running back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT