ADVERTISEMENT

Stars (don't) matter!

HI Cock

Oct 14, 2012
Thought we should have this discussion again. It's sort of like Thanksgiving.

You don't always want to have turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, etc., but you feel obligated to do it on that one day every year.

200.gif

Stars matter. To anyone that says they don't, I simply ask if you'd rather have Bama's class each year or Vandy's? Case closed.
Yeah, you may be right. But it just isn't FGF if we don't have a thread about stars after each and every signing day.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
I propose a cap on stars to help CFB become more balanced like the NFL. Yes, I know it would not be implemented or contemplated. But signing day is just another board to the head of the rich getting richer in college football.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
5 Star players matter, no question, and it's rare that one is a miss. There is a dubious distinction made between many 4/3 star players however and Muschamp is correct when he points out that the individuals giving these star designations watch only a fraction of that player's film and almost never see them play in person. So while the team rankings as whole do matter, there is very little difference between being ranked 16th and being ranked, say, 8th.

Another useful excercise is to go back and look at some of our classes from 8 to 10 years ago and see how many 4 star guys never really contributed at all.

You don't always want to have turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, etc., but you feel obligated to do it on that one day every year.
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in the stars. But ourselves...

Oh wait, no, it's in the stars. You want to compete with Clemson for recruits, listen to KGB:

6beb1d9805596b30f743a615bad1770ff2265c34a87de1c803b0aa74343bed9a.jpg

Reactions: HI Cock
There are always hits, and misses. And of course, there are examples of the 1, 2, and zero stars, that turned out better than the higher rated player. But that is a great exception to the rule. For every one of those type kids that blossoms, and develops, across the country, you have hundreds who never get off of the scout team. Talent wins. And the higher rated kids have a more than equal chance of being a big time contributor.

The star system is very subjective, unless you ask Clemson fans. I remember years ago watching an unrated OL absolutely wear out Blackshear at a Rivals camp. It wasn't even competitive. When asked about his rating the kid said I have none because I don't come to these camps nor will I come to anymore after today. He was told he would not be starred then. At the time, Blackshear was flirting with a 5th star although I don't remember him ever getting it.

I'm somewhat dubious about the whole star rating system. I understand there can be a big difference between a 2* and a 5* but aside from that, is there really a difference between a 3* and 4*. Having a high rated class initially gives an energized boost to the program but by mid season that memory fades.
I get why you want to have a high rated class, but in the end the star system is pretty subjective.

Reactions: rogue cock
Stars matter but what really matters is what happens on Saturday when the player suits up. There are many 3* All Americans out there passed up in recruiting it's all about development.

Reactions: rogue cock
Not sure why the constant debate on recruiting ratings. They're just opinions, about as useful as a restaurant review. Could it be helpful in deciding if you would enjoy a new restaurant? Yes. Does it automatically decide how you will experience it? No.

The star system is very subjective, unless you ask Clemson fans. I remember years ago watching an unrated OL absolutely wear out Blackshear at a Rivals camp. It wasn't even competitive. When asked about his rating the kid said I have none because I don't come to these camps nor will I come to anymore after today. He was told he would not be starred then. At the time, Blackshear was flirting with a 5th star although I don't remember him ever getting it.
What year was that? Blackshear was injured his junior and senior years with two ACL injuries and could not participate for much of his junior or senior seasons or in any camps those years. He lost his 5th star as a result. His last full year was his sophomore year....and he was as dominant as anyone....including Clowney at that age.

The top players are fairly easy to spot in High School. Beyond that this star thing is just another way to monetize these kids that aren't the top players. Just like all this "travel ball" where parents are convinced to spend tons of money on their kid's sports so the can get to the "next level". These football players have to pay to come to these camps so they can "get their stars".

Although there is good data out there, it's not a system that doesn't have some serious systemic imbalances.

Clemson seems to be getting along just fine with their fans star system. I hate it. But when you recruit in a top ten, that is based on stars, it is amazing how successful most of those teams are.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I always add the number of 5.7 rated 3* recruits to the 4* list when personally evaluatin the 'star quality' of a recruiting class. Doesn't everyone(?) - though I don't ever recall a post on this matter.:)

Last edited:
Stars matter. To anyone that says they don't, I simply ask if you'd rather have Bama's class each year or Vandy's? Case closed.
So which star evaluations are accurate, the ones in May or the ones in July?

"Both show good instincts and intensity." ~ tom lemming

instincts!!! give me the twins:)

Clemson seems to be getting along just fine with their fans star system. I hate it. But when you recruit in a top ten, that is based on stars, it is amazing how successful most of those teams are.
Well as with most Clemson fans I'll tell you you can't have it both ways. When I asked a staunch Clemmer the other day why he thought they had the 10th ranked class after winning the title he remarked " Daybo doesn't worry about stars, he recruits a specific "type" of player that fits into our culture". I then thought this was the same guy that was talking about how many 5* they had two years ago and how they don't even consider 3* anymore.

There are always hits, and misses. And of course, there are examples of the 1, 2, and zero stars, that turned out better than the higher rated player. But that is a great exception to the rule. For every one of those type kids that blossoms, and develops, across the country, you have hundreds who never get off of the scout team. Talent wins. And the higher rated kids have a more than equal chance of being a big time contributor.
But have to recruit to have someone on the scout team. Yes we recruit for starters but also recruit players that have the potential if they work hard

Turbeville wasn't a bad coach at Auburn and made a living on 3 star players with a chip on their shoulder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT