ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner

It's not like many of us didn't say that hiring Ray for this position would be a complete disaster. We were saying "Told you so" after it proved out, but that was so long ago that most of us have thrown in the towel. What took you so long to catch up?

ETA- Oh. I see the thread where we got smoked by Coastal in basketball. It has been so long since I followed Carolina Hoops, I couldn't name a single player. Sad.
I followed Carolina basketball fairly closely last year and I still don't know any of the players on this year's team outside of Cousinard and the big center.

Frank Martin is the most successful basketball coach we have had in my lifetime. Probably same for most fans.

Steve Spurrier was most successful in my lifetime and it wasn't that much success.

Tanner won two national championships.

Staley is clearly the best we've ever had.

I would fully support moving on from Ray Tanner but the fact is he has been involved with the highest level of succes our program has ever seen in almost every single sport.

I'm not exactly sure what he set us back to? We were never good at anything to begin with.

Maybe if our fans didn't trash every single coach, ad, President, athlete we have more recruits would want to be a part of our university.

What is wrong with Kingston? He has started recruiting at the level that only Tanner did. Complain all you want about how Holbrook turned out, but he was one of the hottest coaching prospects in the country when he took over.

Would you have preferred Monte like some others wanted? Heck, Clemson fans will hand him over as quickly as you ask.
Facts = when Tanner took over as AD we were a premier top 5 baseball program in the nation. Today, I am not sure we are top 5 in our own conference. Just this past year, 7 SEC programs finished with a better record than SC.

I followed Carolina basketball fairly closely last year and I still don't know any of the players on this year's team outside of Cousinard and the big center.
Because Frank Martin cannot retain his players.

Yeah or “Hey let’s wait another 4 years for the CEO to retire. Then we’ll try to do it right.”

Frank Martin is the most successful basketball coach we have had in my lifetime. Probably same for most fans.

Steve Spurrier was most successful in my lifetime and it wasn't that much success.

Tanner won two national championships.

Staley is clearly the best we've ever had.

I would fully support moving on from Ray Tanner but the fact is he has been involved with the highest level of succes our program has ever seen in almost every single sport.

I'm not exactly sure what he set us back to? We were never good at anything to begin with.

Maybe if our fans didn't trash every single coach, ad, President, athlete we have more recruits would want to be a part of our university.

Yes, they are. Scoreboard. And it hurts.
If that is true, devastating!

Ok...no one wanted CRT to succeed as AD more than I did. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to be questioning at this point whether he is the right man for the job. Yes, he's done some good. But there are decisions that were made that really make me scratch my head. The exorbitant buyout, the ill-timed premium seating expansions at WB, if he keeps CFM after this season, to name a few. I think in hindsight it might have been better to hire a professional back in 2012, transition CRT to an Associate AD/ADIW position when he was done coaching in 2013, and give him some more intense "on the job training". We're looking a lot like LSU when Skip became AD.

Ok...no one wanted CRT to succeed as AD more than I did. However, I don't think it's unreasonable to be questioning at this point whether he is the right man for the job. Yes, he's done some good. But there are decisions that were made that really make me scratch my head. The exorbitant buyout, the ill-timed premium seating expansions at WB, if he keeps CFM after this season, to name a few. I think in hindsight it might have been better to hire a professional back in 2012, transition CRT to an Associate AD/ADIW position when he was done coaching in 2013, and give him some more intense "on the job training". We're looking a lot like LSU when Skip became AD.

A modern AD simply has to many responsibilities. Running the search for new head coaches should not be one of them.

Spend the $$ and get a professional to head that up as necessary. Let Ray run the daily operations. He does fine there. His issues have all been related to things he isn't and never will be qualified to do.

Reactions: chief2791
No argument from me at all. Love the man, the person, the baseball coach. He's brought alot to USC. RT loves this university, I'm firmly convinced of that. IMO there are few people that are better at hobnobbing, shaking hands, kissing babies, raising money than he is. It's where he excels.

He's also done some things as AD that, like you said, make you scratch your head. Appears at times to be in over his head, which is what you get when it's OTJ training. You're right, alot of similarities to the Bertman run at LSU.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
So, let’s say there is a corporation. It is more or less break even over its history. The board hires a new CEO. They pay him the same amount as the CEOs at Apple, Microsoft, Disney, Coca Cola, and the other blue-chip companies. After 10 years of “leadership” the most important two divisions of the company are terrible and the company is, overall, still just break-even/average.
Does this company need to make a change? Or should they decide, “Well, I know we are spending blue-chip money but we shouldn’t hold our CEO accountable for his penny-stock results.”
Good metaphor. My only caveat is that this company isn't making widgets. It's business is education. The number of wins is a part of one aspect of the athletic side of the business.

How is Nebraska doing?, how are 100 other programs doing? You think Carolina has a traditional history to offer in bb, fb, or any other sports besides WBB? HELL no. Be realistic. We have 116 years of sports, 2 baseball natty's , 2 WBB natty's and 1 ACC championship. Get your head out your butt and be realistic. For the next 10 years, if we are 9-3 or 8-4 or close, its a win win. We ARE NOT a powerhouse and it has very little to do with Tanner.
We had the history in baseball and hired the 3rd best coach in the American Athletic Conference. Urgh

Ray set us back 10 years in football thanks to the pathetic hire of Muschamp. That alone should be grounds for termination or forced retirement. But not at Carolina. Beamer has a long ways to go before fielding a consistently competitive team. I still have serious doubts. Martin is a disaster and should have been gone years ago. Kingston has been an underachievement too. The CWS years are now a decade ago. But Ray will do his usual which is talk up facilities and women's basketball. He is determined to retire in 2024 on his own terms. His legacy as a baseball coach was legendary. As an AD he leaves a very forgettable legacy. He should have done the honorable thing and retired by now but he's too greedy to do that. Along with all the other fat cats in the administration who couldn't care less how many games we lose as long as they get paid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT