ADVERTISEMENT

Tanner's dynasty is long gone

you are over reacting...understandable considering the ineptitude of this squad...if Tanner replaces this staff with a great HBC that assembles an expert staff, the Gamecocks will crow loudly and proudly again...This ship can be righted in 1 season with a great HBC and staff...
No one should be retained.

CH isn't getting fired.

Tanner has no choice...He sat back while Spurrier tanked the football program..If he allows the Holbrook fiasco to continue , his ass is in the ringer...I believe he will fire Holbrook...Holbrook knows it...That's why we get word of a new baseball commitment every couple of days...Chad wants to win a few games and crow about what a great class he has coming in...Just don't think Tanner will buy it

you are over reacting...understandable considering the ineptitude of this squad...if Tanner replaces this staff with a great HBC that assembles an expert staff, the Gamecocks will crow loudly and proudly again...This ship can be righted in 1 season with a great HBC and staff...

I mostly agree wit that- might take more than 1 season though

Reactions: RaginRooster
Tanner is not going to fire his buddy. Just like SOS wasn't going to fire his son.
This will go down as bad as the king Dixon AD hire when it is all said and done

Reactions: IrmoRed
Tanner was a God here for what he did for the baseball program.

Is he going to ruin all of that by letting Holbrook totally wreck it?

Chad will not resign. Why would he take a $250k+ pay cut when being lousy at his job hasn't cost him thus far? They'll have to drag him out, kicking and screaming. That will also be the first time in his career he's ever shown any emotion either

I've tried to be objective throughout this ordeal, but that's what it is becoming...an ordeal. I'd be a hypocrite taking the position on Spurrier and his staff that I took while taking a pass on CH. I'll give it another week, for whatever that's worth.

It just goes to show that Holbrooke was not ready for a head coaching job. Sad but true.

I love Tanner the baseball HC, but Tanner the AD? Not so much ... at all! Why he hired someone as HC at a nationally prominent program (his own successor) who had never been a HC is beyond me.

I know many of you did not like Hyman, but the only real complaint I recall hearing was how he ushered in the era of PSL's for football ticket purchases as well as raised prices of the tickets themselves. Aside from that, I thought he did a good job as AD, especially with al the facility improvements and construction. As far as I know, he ain't employed, so I say we fire CH the HC and Tanner the AD, and re-hire Hyman as AD, Tanner as HC, and CH as Asst HC/recruiting guru, and let's get the show back on the road.

I love Tanner the baseball HC, but Tanner the AD? Not so much ... at all! Why he hired someone as HC at a nationally prominent program (his own successor) who had never been a HC is beyond me.

I know many of you did not like Hyman, but the only real complaint I recall hearing was how he ushered in the era of PSL's for football ticket purchases as well as raised prices of the tickets themselves. Aside from that, I thought he did a good job as AD, especially with al the facility improvements and construction. As far as I know, he ain't employed, so I say we fire CH the HC and Tanner the AD, and re-hire Hyman as AD, Tanner as HC, and CH as Asst HC/recruiting guru, and let's get the show back on the road.
So you're saying put it all back like it was during our CWS run? I don't think anyone believes that could/would happen, but
giphy.gif

So you're saying put it all back like it was during our CWS run? I don't think anyone believes that could/would happen, but
giphy.gif

It won't happen, but there is precident ... didn't Barry Alvarez, former football HC at Wisconsin who resigned/retired as HC to become the AD, then later took over the HC football duties in the postseason one year after the then HC resigned or was fired? I think I'm right about this. Who's with me?

Maybe on Barry, but doubt that he ever left Madison. Hyman obviously went to Texas for his kids/grands (among other things) so I don't see him coming back to Columbia. Not to mention he doesn't want to fix a job where he told us so, essentially, about Tanner as an athletic director, plus the fact I'm sure he hasn't forgotten the fans displeased by him making them open the checkbook to get our athletic programs moving forward

Last edited:
Maybe on Barry, but doubt that he ever left Madison. Hyman obviously went to Texas for his kids/grands (among other thing) so I don't see him coming back to Columbia. Not to mention he doesn't want to fix a job where he told us so,essentially about Tanner as an athletic director

Clarify your comment about Hyman saying I told you so. That's news to me.

Reactions: Lakecock1

Make Ray the highest paid head coach and Chad the highest paid assistant.
Or outbid Clemson for Monte.
We better have 5 more Carlos Cortez's coming in next year, because our pitching staff will not be consistent next year. Kind of like this year. Don't get me started on infield fielding percentage. We were always top two in the conference for a few years during our COLUMBIA WEST runs. Usually above .960

This.

He is more like Sparky Woods than any other HBC imho

Very good comparison right here.

I should have clarified in my OP, "as long as CH is our coach".

Tanner has to let him go. The good news is that these 19-1 and 20-5 losses should actually make this easier for Tanner. Anything that Holbrook says in his defense can be followed up with a response of "but you lost to Kentucky 19-1."

Although the Tanner dynasty may be gone, our baseball program should bounce back very quickly if we bring in the right coach.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
You guys are going to be disappointed. Tanner just got a raise and an extension and he has capital to spend after the basketball season. He'll cash it in for CH.

That was the right move. To hire Holbrook at that point.

Look until someone actually is the head guy, you have no idea what you really have. You may have a hunch, have a list of tangibles they have to check. But sometimes the can't miss guy misses, and the Dabo wins a national championship.

Ray knocked around for a while doing pretty well before he won his two titles. Chad's recruiting played a role in that I think.

Being an excellent recruiter is a big part of the job. And if Ray hadn't hired him as his successor at that point, someone else would have tendered him an offer most likely. He was known as a recruiting whiz, and he was a valued assistant on the staff of two CWS winners.

No brainer to hire him. But I think he should have been replaced two years ago, it was pretty obvious even then he wasn't going to have the kind of success we want from this program here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT