ADVERTISEMENT

Teams you wished we played non conference....

Gamecockben1979

Jun 5, 2017
For me it's:
1. North Carolina--always enjoy beating the Billy Goats when they don't run from us (rare)
2. Georgia Tech--had some good games in the 80s & 90s and its close.
3. Fla State/Miami--always hated both so it was a bonus when USC could beat either one

I always like seeing us play other big time programs in our region, like the opener against NC State.

And no I don't want us to join the ACC....it just so happens a lot of the close rivalries not in conference are in the "other" conference.

I like the USC v unc thing. Not so big of a fan for playing ncsu.

Wish we would play some more BIG NAME -small program teams like Minn, Purdue, Indiana, UVA, Tx Texh, ND, Syracuse, etc.

Reactions: bagel400
Yeah, playing NCSU doesn't get me overly excited. UNCarolina vs. Carolina seems to have a bit more cachet and national interest IMO, just because of the natural rivalry I guess. But still, f#&% them, who cares.

I'm also with those saying that our SEC schedule is strong enough. Schedule some wins, with a bigger OOC matchup every now and then.

I would love us to play:

1. VA Tech
2. Oklahoma
3. FL State

Big draws and big money. For the past 10 years our biggest non-conference game has been Clemsux or UCF. I want the big boys, even though we play them week in and week out in the SEC.

Reactions: mavcock
I would love us to play:

1. VA Tech
2. Oklahoma
3. FL State

Big draws and big money. For the past 10 years our biggest non-conference game has been Clemsux or UCF. I want the big boys, even though we play them week in and week out in the SEC.
This right here. Because we did it in the 80's, with limited success, but this is what gets us prepared for the big games. I would love a series with a couple of Big Ten teams instead of ACC teams. Seems like we always pick up an ACC team at the top of their game. Big Ten team would give us a little bit of a recruiting in their area. Who wants to play for a Big Ten tean when you could play for us and see all of these pretty southern girls (and yankee girls who came down here).?

I would love us to play:

1. VA Tech
2. Oklahoma
3. FL State

I would the games against UNcheat were bigger than UCF. But your larger point is well taken. We need a formula of:

8 SEC games
1 Tater game
1 nationally attractive OOC game, like FSU or USCw
2 cream puffs - one to start the season and one before the tater game

We can't use the "we're in the SEC" and don't want to make our schedule tougher excuse. Look at Bama scheduling FSU and USCw. Those national games help with recruiting too.

For me it's:
1. North Carolina--always enjoy beating the Billy Goats when they don't run from us (rare)
3. Fla State/Miami--always hated both so it was a bonus when USC could beat either one

I always like seeing us play other big time programs in our region, like the opener against NC State.

And no I don't want us to join the ACC....it just so happens a lot of the close rivalries not in conference are in the "other" conference.
I would like to see us schedule as many of our old ACC rivals (e.g., all the schools in the league at the time we left) in as many sports as we can on an ongoing basis. That doesn't mean we have to play Dook in Baseball and tennis (both/either genders) every year, but maybe 2-3 times a decade. I doubt we'll play them in football regular season - they'll want us to play them in Durham, at some point, and financially, I can't see that happening.

Glad to see WBB open the upcoming season vs Maryland.

Would like to see us play other southern schools in many sports who've joined the ACC since we left as well. Been clamoring to play Georgia Tech in baseball in Augusta (neutral site game) for the past few years too.

Would also like to see football and baseball play some out of region opponents too. Maybe schedule a B1G or Big XII school in a football home and home (the road game would be instead of playing in Charlotte). Baseball to play in an early season round-robin in Houston or the west coast, for example.

The basketball teams do well enough on playing out of region schools, but I would like to see them play some more ACC schools as well. And please schedule the Clemron games in late January/early February instead of burying them in early December.

Been clamoring to play Georgia Tech in baseball in Augusta (neutral site game) for the past few years too.

Really like this idea. Wouldn't even mind a game at suntrust park like UGA and Tech. I know the Tech/UGA draw is big but I think we would put a decent crowd in Atlanta for that one

I would love us to play:

1. VA Tech
2. Oklahoma
3. FL State

VT my first pick. Blacksburg is a blast!

For me it's:

NC State is so far from a 'big time' program in our region it is silly. No upside to beating them really, a lot of downside from losing..

I would the games against UNcheat were bigger than UCF. But your larger point is well taken. We need a formula of:

8 SEC games
1 Tater game
1 nationally attractive OOC game, like FSU or USCw
2 cream puffs - one to start the season and one before the tater game

We can't use the "we're in the SEC" and don't want to make our schedule tougher excuse. Look at Bama scheduling FSU and USCw. Those national games help with recruiting too.

I agree with your sentiment but BAMA is a terrible example. #1 they are Bama and #2 They play three cream puffs counted their "big game" because their rivals are in Conference while we already have the Taters.

Reactions: JBM123
Really like this idea. Wouldn't even mind a game at SunTrust park like UGA and Tech. I know the Tech/UGA draw is big but I think we would put a decent crowd in Atlanta for that one

The neutral site UGA-Tech game is a fundraiser for Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. Doubt they'd work such a deal for us.

I'd be happy with a straight home and home vs Tech in that case.

Before the ACC and SEC's recent expansions when each had 12 members and each school played 10 of the 11 members in its league during baseball season, and we didn't play LSU for a 2-year span and F$U and Ga Tech didn't meet during the same period, I imagined how entertaining it would be to schedule a round-robin weekend with all four teams, one year at the Gwinnett Braves AAA park, and the next at the New Orleans Zephyrs (now Baby Cakes) AAA park. Of course the USC-LSU and GIT (Georgia Institute of Technology - Tech's formal name)-FSU games would not count in the respective league standings.

With a new stadium going up in North Augusta, perhaps USC & Clemron can look at scheduling the neutral site baseball game there on occasion.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I wish Texas could play y'all in baseball.
I think that there was some talk of this when Founder's Park opened in 2009. RT wanted to bring in a "marquee team" for a weekend that first year. I believe that FSU and Texas were contacted, but it didn't work out. We ended up scheduling East Carolina.

Wouldn't mind a home-and-home with Texas in football too. Is this financially feasible for USC?

Last edited:
Notre Dame or So Cal. But it won't happen.

Here are the non conference teams I DON'T want to play: Citadel, SC State, Coastal Carolina, Wofford, Furman. Did I leave anyone out?

Reactions: rogue cock
I would like to see us schedule as many of our old ACC rivals (e.g., all the schools in the league at the time we left) in as many sports as we can on an ongoing basis....

Ah come on now dude, that was then, this is now if ya catch my drift there. F the acc.

Notre Dame or So Cal. But it won't happen.

Here are the non conference teams I DON'T want to play: Citadel, SC State, Coastal Carolina, Wofford, Furman. Did I leave anyone out?

I think Carolina and Clemson both committed to play one small in-state school each year back in the Holtz-Bowden days. The idea was to keep the pay-out money in-state. But I agree, I think it's time to let go of that idea.

Personally, I would love to see Carolina put together a long term contract to play each and every Big 10 team on a home and home basis. Yes, we'd play the Ohio St's & Michigan's but we'd also play the Indiana's and Perdue's

I am sorry, I just do not see the benefit playing the Woffords & Coastal Carolinas of the state. The Citadel game is enough proof of that. Am I afraid to play them ... YES!. Win .... SO WHAT??? .... Lose .... and you're the asholes of the world.

NC State is so far from a 'big time' program in our region it is silly. No upside to beating them really, a lot of downside from losing..

By big time I meant Division 1 schools with large enrollments, but while you are at it I'll bite.

NC State finished 7-6 with 4 losses by a TD or less. This team is junior and senior loaded. Do not be surprised if they win 9+ games this season. They are one of the most physical teams we will play all season.

We may win, but we are not favored and a loss would not surprise many at all.

Clemson played Presbyterian one year. Go ahead and include them before we book it

By big time I meant Division 1 schools with large enrollments, but while you are at it I'll bite.

NC State finished 7-6 with 4 losses by a TD or less. This team is junior and senior loaded. Do not be surprised if they win 9+ games this season. They are one of the most physical teams we will play all season.

We may win, but we are not favored and a loss would not surprise many at all.
WTH coaches them anyway?? I honestly haven't a clue.

WTH coaches them anyway?? I honestly haven't a clue.

Dave Doeren. Led Northern Illinois to Orange Bowl birth before taking State job. They plastered Vandy 41-14 at the end of the season. It's been a while since we put that kind of beating on Vandy for some reason.

We already play Klempsun out of conference every single years and in recent years unc, Ecu, and ncsu. Why would you want a more difficult schedule? You don't have to play the top 14 teams in the poll to win a championship.

I think Carolina and Clemson both committed to play one small in-state school each year back in the Holtz-Bowden days. The idea was to keep the pay-out money in-state. But I agree, I think it's time to let go of that idea.
I'd rather play mid major FBS schools, but as long as you're going to schedule FCS schools, might as well keep the money in-state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT